Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:57 pm

^ Fayt/Cliff/Nel is a solid setup. I just can't stand having Cliff in the party after a certain point when using Fayt because his more advanced battle skills start interfering with my ability to land hits. He'll usually push the enemy right out of the way with a battle skill just before Fayt hits it, gets old really fast. I ended up using Fayt/Maria/Sophia as my final trio, but before Sophia was available I used Adray in her place. Breaking in the Fayt/Maria/Adray trio was hard because the latter two had serious manaburn issues early on, I had to pump blackberries into them every few battles. Took a while before I got their AI and battle skills configured just right so that they synergized and stopped blowing all their MP. I still wish there was a "don't use symbology" setting for Maria, she still loves to spam Power Up and Protection regardless of what I set her on.

My final overall party ended up being Fayt, Maria, Sophia, Cliff, Mirage, Nel, Adray, and Albel. I passed on Roger and Peppita because I still can't stand those two (especially Roger).
[Redacted]

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Stan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:53 am

I've been enjoying Tekken 7 in between my nonstop exams and capstones. Been mostly training online with Lee, will get PS+ once I feel I'm ready for online :tongue:

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:54 pm

I've been going trough the Gradius Collection for the PSP and it's been a fun and extremely challenging experience. I've been going trough the games in easy and, the first Gradius excluded, every other entry in the series has been destroying me. I've only managed to complete Gradius II thanks to the games save feature, otherwise I'd take me ages to finish even the second level.

In general, the Gradius games are, short, high quality experiences that have massive difficulty has a feature. Not surprising, considering most of them were arcade games.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:11 pm

Every time I fire up Battlefield 1 it's a rollercoaster between I'm not sure this game is really appropriate whee I killed a guy with a shovel man this is kinda disrespectful to a horrific nightmarish conflict whoa I just jumped into a trench and wiped a whole squad and finished the last guy with a stab in the face woooooooo
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:19 pm

I just discovered I can put emblems on vehicles.

You know what I had to do.

the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:28 pm

Battlefield 2 with the AIX 2 mod, endless violence with 48 vs 48 bots.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:59 pm

I just finished The Last of Us: Remastered. I've had the game for a while, but the first two chapters bored me to death so I almost dropped it completely. Recently I needed a break for Persona 5, so I decided to give TLOU another try. After chapter 3 I couldn't stop playing it.
SPOILER: Show
The writing in this game is great, although that doesn't become apparent until you get further into the story. No disrespect meant to Tess, but the game gets a hell of a lot better after she dies. -o-; That's not her fault at all, it's just that her death marks the turning point where the game went from fairly generic zombieshit shooter to one of the best games I've ever played. The story gets progressively better and better as it goes on, because the game is heavily character-driven and it takes time for the characters to develop.

I really, really liked how Joel and Ellie bonded over time, especially in the last 3 or 4 chapters. Very well-written and believable relationship. The game is very successful at making the player care about both of them, and I have to say I agree with the decision Joel made at the hospital in the second-to-last chapter, even though it can be interpreted as a very selfish act. But then again, when the Fireflies (anti-government paramilitary group) are willing to cannibalize the life of a young girl in order to remove her brain so they can develop a vaccine for the fungal plague (and apparently without her consent), then I would consider their actions pretty damn selfish as well. During the entire journey, Ellie had every expectation that she would be able to go on with her life after contributing some blood samples to help them develop a cure. Then after she loses consciousness due to nearly drowning, the fireflies take her away from Joel, keep her unconscious using anesthesia (judging by her not remembering being in the hospital at all), and then arbitrarily decide to remover her brain without even asking her? Not fucking cool, the Fireflies are little better than those cannibals in the winter chapter IMO. Hey, the cannibals were also just killing a few people in order to help many survive, am I right?

The story, as good as it is, is also full of plot holes. Most of these concern the fungal plague itself. First of all, despite all the fuss over finding a cure, it's pretty easy to avoid getting infected by this stuff if you practice common sense: Don't make a lot of nose that would attract the totally-not-zombies (I like calling them Shroomheads or Motherfungals) since they hunt by sound, don't go into dark, damp places like sewers or old buildings (the only place the fungus can grow), and just avoid big cities and other pre-plague human settlements entirely (that's where the infected congregate). There's plenty of untainted wildlife running around since the fungus doesn't affect them and the Shroomheads don't attack them, and 60% of the human race is now gone, so it's not like there's a shortage of fresh food. If you're really hungry, there's even a herd of giraffes roaming around in the safe areas of Salt Lake City that require virtually no risk to get to. But of course, the game forces you through such danger zones, because let's do this the dumbest way possible for the sake of adding more violence. :lol:

Another thing about this killer fungus: it can be completely defeated by wearing a gas mask. You don't even need a full-body protective suit, just wear a mask and you're completely immune to the spores because you can only be infected by inhalation or being bitten. Then there's fire. The most powerful weapon in the game is... a flamethrower. Not a purpose built one either, just one that appears to have been cobbled together from spare parts. The most powerful type of Shroomhead, the Bloater, will die after about 30 seconds of exposure to the flames. Fire also staggers the Shroomheads as well, you can back them across the room with the flamethrower. And even though the game doesn't allow you to destroy them, the fungal growths inside the buildings could also be easily taken care of in the same way.
The federal government still exists in TLOU, and still has a large army, so why don't they send in soldiers with gas masks and flamethrowers to kill off the infected and the fungus itself instead of holing up in quarantine zones? No need to tear Ellie's brains out, the cure already exists: an army with gas masks and flamethrowers.

The game also suffers from subpar controls that are poorly mapped and counter-intuitive. Healing is done with the same trigger that fires your guns? Sprinting is done with L1 instead of clicking L3 or holding X/O/[ ]? You can only do a tactical reload by tapping the fire trigger while not aiming? There's no list of button functions in the options menu either, so if you come back to the game after a while, it can take forever to figure out how to do stuff again. I was halfway through the game before I re-discovered the sprint button and found out you can open the crafting menu at any time by clicking the touch pad. The gunplay is also unpolished, and aiming feels both stiff and unresponsive on default settings. I had to bump up the stick sensitivity by about 30% or 50% to get the responsiveness I needed, which is something I almost never have to do in shooters.

Overall I give the game an 8.5/10. Excellent+ game that would have been a 9/10 if the controls were better and the first 2 chapters weren't generic and boring as hell, but still manages to shine due to excellent character writing. The positives far outweigh the negatives, I highly recommend it.
[Redacted]

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:03 am

Last of Us got a disturbing amount of accolades, not to question its own qualities, but those kinds of games always make me leery as to the veracity of such claims to their greatness, same goes for Oscar bait films, story wise? I've read plenty of plot synopsis on this game, but I'd hardly consider it anything new, if it was lined up alongside every other post-apocalyptic infection game, film or book, it would not stand out from that crowd, this says nothing of the character relationships, dialogue and character progression, all together that will make it quite worthy entertainment, but the story is uninspired. The label of it being one of the greatest games of all time seems like a crass and shortsighted statement it appears it has all the hallmarks of the overdone and ragged cover based third person stealth shooter with a survival elements addendum, one that disregards the objective core of video game design (FUN and CHALLENGE) and progressively discards it in the hope of becoming "art", I want a video game, I don't want a film. I apologise if this is coming off as being more of an aggressive rant, but I'm an old ornery bugger when it comes to video games and what they're about, I'm sure it's a good game, but it contains a lot of bad influences which bring down the medium, which is obviously something which shouldn't be praised.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:22 am

^ As much as I loved it, even I don't think it's one of the greatest games of all time. It's one of the best I've played, but only just barely. I definitely don't agree with reviewers who gave it a 9/10 or 10/10, it's too flawed to get either of those IMO. But I will say, it's not an "art game" in the same way as The Order: 1886. It has much more in common with the 3rd-person shooters of the pre-open-world era. I'd say it's like Resident Evil 4 with slightly more open maps and an added crafting mechanic (you have to craft your health kits and improvised weapons in real time with stuff you scavenge). So the gameplay actually has more depth than RE4. And if you want challenge, there are at least 2 difficulty modes higher than hard mode.

Anyhow, I've now finished the Left Behind story DLC for TLOU. It was... good, but it also seems to be answering a question that nobody asked, so I'm really not sure why it exists.
Basically it takes place in both the past and present, alternating between these segments at various predetermined points. The present part can be defined as "Ellie finds medicine," while the past part can be defined as, "Ellie and her best friend go to an abandoned mall and do really dumb shit together." Seriously, in the past segment, it's like you're intentionally trying to turn yourself into Shroomhead-bait. I have a hard time believing that two teenage girls who grew up in this post-pandemic world, and know the dangers of this world, would do those kinds of things in an unsafe area with such disregard for their own safety. The whole time I was saying to her friend, "No, let's go back, this is a really dumb idea!" It's to the point that it's downright immersion-breaking.

In the present segment you get to play as Ellie and do smart things instead. It was great playing as her again, but sadly the gameplay was far more limited due to the structure of the environment. She barely gets even half as many weapons as she does in the part of the main game where you play as her. She's there to find medicine for Joel, which makes for a nice side-story I guess, but nothing exciting like what happens during her chapter in the main story. It was fun playing the Shroomheads against the cannibals and fighting the winning team instead of fighting both groups at the same time, though.

I'd give this expansion a 6.5/10. Good+, but not great, and the whole thing is just pure filler that adds nothing to the story. I think if they had just made the whole thing about the past segment and expanded upon what's there, it could have been much better and actually added something relevant to the story. Really, the past story segment ends right before what would have been the most interesting part.
[Redacted]

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:22 am

Anyone have suggestions for what the best online co-op games are right now ( and I do mean online, not consoles)?

It numbs my mind how Portal 2 tops the list, when I've always wanted to murder the people I've played that with.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:26 am

Left 4 Dead 2 gave me some of the best co op moments of my life, it's such a great game and it's still very popular.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:57 am

Nier: Automata: Before anything else, I should say I haven't played any of the previous installments in the series and I don't plan to unless they release a version with the original language(yes, I know Drakengard 3 has the Japanese voices has DLC). I'm not playing with those godawful English dubs. How anyone has even selected the English language in Automata is beyond me.

Slight rant on dubs aside: The game is great. The soundtrack is fantastic, the world is beautiful and the story. Oh boy, I haven't been this tricked by a story in a video game since Spec Ops: The line.
I was surprised by how much the side quests tie in with the main story. They're still mostly fetch quest in structure, but they always have some interesting twist at the conclusion. Even the weapons tie in with the story.

Another lovely feature are the shooting segments. I've always been a fan of shot em ups and side scrollers(even though I'm terrible at em) so the fact that you switch between these different types of game play smoothly is fantastic.

Is there even anything I can say about the main story without massive spoilers?

Every single ending is an emotional roller coaster, mostly thanks to the fantastic characters and their voice actors. 9S screams at ending D are music to my ears. Also, they use Joji Nakata in a minor role at the end and he's still great despite the small amount of lines. How does he do it?
There's a great sense of payoff at ending E. After all the suffering you've been through in the other endings, to have an happy conclusion feels great. Never have I been so happy to defeat a Marketing Division.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:31 pm

Got Just cause 3 on PSN for free and I think it's okay.

I usually avoid open world / sandbox games, because they usually lack intertwined level design / have boring missions / hold your hand way too much.

This game also has those "problems", but the grapling hook and few other gadgets have managed to keep me interested in the game a lot longer than your average open world title, so points to you Avalanche Studios.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:24 pm

Got through the first chapter of The Evil Within on PS3 a little while ago.

I thought that it was going to be difficult but it was all a matter of stealthy evasion and willpower. The creature that stalks me throughout the majority of the bit wasn't as scary as my fear was letting me think it was. I am sure that other creatures in the following chapters will prove tougher to dodge and will leave a menacing impression.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:23 am

I finally got back into playing Persona 5 after putting it off for a bit. I'm having a problem with mementos.

It's the quest called "part time job full-time hell"

I'm taking a request from the Phantom thieves website to find a persons Shadow. It's supposed to be on the second to last floor of the second level. But I've scoured it 7 times over and I haven't had any luck. and mementos changes everytime I go to another level, none of the online guides seem to be of any help.

robersora
Laissez-faire in Moderation
Laissez-faire in Moderation

Postby robersora » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:22 pm

^
Sorry, I can't remember that one. Have you figured something out yet?

I've played Little Nightmares. What a fun little game, it's very competent and has some really neat ideas.
I've also "played" Night in the Woods As I'm not from America this thing was mostly culturally interesting in a voyeuristic way. I thought it was heavily overrated, when I played it and the ending was rather weak. But I've thought a lot about it lately and the music has wormed its way back into my head. (Maybe because Fall has come, who knows). It's one of those rare things I appreciate a lot more in hindsight than I actually enjoyed experiencing it.
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Stan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:35 pm

In persona 5, Morgana will tell you when the target is on the same floor as you. If they don't show up, that means you gotta trigger it in the real world by talking to some NPC or working a part-time job.

I've been playing Gundam Versus. It's very fun but has a steep learning curve. Thankfully I enjoy 'harder' games. Decided to main the Strike Gundam since Athrun's Aegis is not in the game :irked:
But I'm loving it so far and I hope more updates roll out over the next few months with new stages and balances.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:17 am

Replayed a few titles:

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS). Story isn’t very strong, but playing the game itself is a joy. The little puzzles are never too taxing but the variety keeps things fun. There aren’t many challenging battles unfortunately, I even managed to beat the final boss by accident.
It would be nice to see more Golden Sun in the future.

Advance Wars: Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin (DS). I remembered this as being “the crap one” of the Adv Wars series; well, whilst it could be called the worst of the bunch… it’s still a really enjoyable, good game.
There were only a handful of really challenging story missions, I must have scored at least 20 S-ranks.
A couple things bugged me-
1) Sea planes can only be produced on carriers. Why? Can’t the airports reproduce the technology? Dumb.
2) COs can board units. The unit carrying the CO can be destroyed. The CO doesn’t die and the battle continues. Dumb.
More (Advance) Wars games would be great, but it seems Intelligent Systems is focusing on Fire Emblem these days…

New:

Chrono Trigger (DS). Well, it’s new for me.
I like the fact that the screen doesn’t do a Final Fantasy fade-out before entering a battle, that the fight takes place on the map you’re actually walking on there and then.

Kirby Battle Royale (3DS) (Demo). Figured I’d give this a go, and found it to be surprisingly fun, but oh- wait a minute, no online battle mode for the demo?
Not even a 1-per day sampling?
Pfft! Your loss, HAL.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War. Here’s the deal- I don’t like Lord of the Rings, but I do enjoy running in random directions and decapitating Orcs, or Uruks or whatever they’re called.
That being said- I haven’t seen enough actual decapitation execution moves, they’ve mostly been lame stabbings. Ehh, maybe there’s a skill I’ve yet to unlock…

This is the first AAA game I’ve ever played on PC, so it’s an interesting experience for me.
I played Shadows of Mordor on Xbox 360, and always dreaded having to interrogate worms or even simply bring up the game’s main menu: the screen would go black…wait…bring up the menu, then go black… wait… then return to the game.
I only ever encountered the one graug.
Now the loading times are practically non-existent, and I’ve encountered at least two graugs.
Happy days.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Stan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:06 pm

I'm replaying the .hack//G.U PS2 games here and there out of anticipation for the HD collection on PS4 next week! They are truly PS2 JRPG classics and high quality products of their era. From the ambitious graphics, to the music, to the style of storytelling - they are mid 2000s JRPGs at their finest.

So excited for .hack//G.U Last Recode collection next week (with the addition of the new Vol. 4!!)

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:46 pm

Batman: Arhkam origins was a fun game.

I understand why many had pretty mixed opinions towards it at release; It's a game identical to Arkham city that doesn't bring anything new to the table.

The last time I played Arkham city was over 4 years ago and I had forgotten pretty much everything about it, so that's why I was able to enjoy Origins more than most people.

Rayman Legends made me like platformers.

Also, 8 - bit levels were fun, but frustrating at times.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”