Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

ChaddyManPrime
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:13 pm

God, I can't stop playing Witcher 3, this Blood and Wine DLC is fucking beautiful. And I mean that in every way possible. I wish everything in the game looked as good as Toussaint.

I'm always gonna pick Triss, I can't imagine anyone picking anyone but her. I want to invite everyone to live in the estate in the game.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:39 pm

Dat Yen tho
The true artist helps the world by revealing mystic truths.

"there are cracks in this timeline, void bubbling through. please remember that no matter what happens LOVE IS REAL" -Dr. Chuck Tingle, Ph. D

ChaddyManPrime
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:11 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Dat Yen tho

I'm always going to pick the redhead, I don't know why, but I'm always going to. Though I wish ciri was an option, even though that's wrong.

I'd also pick the duchess and Shani... Syssa too.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

chazthesilencer
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:51 am

The first few hours of Zero Time Dilemma took some getting used to.
The novel segments are a lot more cinematic and animated this time around, there’s no set stock of aghast reactions played over and over again like in Virtue’s Last Reward. I take this as both a good and bad thing- it’s a step up in presentation, but a part of me misses the “do more with less” or “just make do” approach VLR took.
I’m playing with English audio, though we are thankfully given the option of switching to Japanese. Pity you can’t set individual voices however; Europe never got a dub for VLR, so it’s odd for me hearing Phi speak English.
The escape segments are a little easier compared to VLR, although a couple did have me running to gamefaq… and there are currently no guides. Ha!

There’s no single Junpei or Sigma type main character this time, and the story is fragmented beyond belief. It’s been difficult keeping track of events and really feeling swept up in the narrative so far. Still- looking forward to seeing how everything comes together at the end.

On my second play-through of Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest. Casual normal difficulty is such a relaxing pleasure after the horror of classic hard mode.
Yes, Awakening is better, but Fates is still good.
I’d type a longer post on it, but I’m waiting for someone to bump the Fire Emblem thread first.
EGF's best posts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

A blog I sometimes write something about stuff on

Giji Shinka
Donor
Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:48 pm

Furi has to be the biggest surprise of the year for me.

It's basically Afro samurai (Creators are the same) combined with cyberpunk, hack and slash, shoot'em Up, boss rush and Dark souls - like challenging, but fair difficulty.

I've defeated first two bosses, but I'm stuck at the third at the moment.

Dr. Nick
Committeeman
Committeeman

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:01 am

Let's talk casual: Slither.io is just as addictive as you might have heard, and it's also designed by the Devil. I find myself spending way too much time gobbling up balls and chasing one-eyed snakes when I should be doing something productive.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:33 am

If you see a snake named "Instrumentality" feel free to offer yourself in tribute. :emogendo:
"Here I am in the belly of the beast, and I don't even care. I don't even feel like taking a whiz on this. I used to DREAM of taking a whiz on this!" - The Monarch
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:42 am

That is one weird-ass game. Crazy addictive, though.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:09 am

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

This game is good. Not great, but good.

The choice to "go to ground" was inspired, I like that they mixed up the unit composition more for each side, and just as with its predecessors, Desert of Kharak has great atmosphere. Neither the music with its beating drums and its tribal-esce chants, nor the characters grimly setting the stage for their battle, nor the (signature) stylized animatronic cut-scenes let you forget that this is a harsh desert world, with people in a pitched battle for survival.

... Unfortunately, it also has the same flaw as its direct predecessor. It doesn't have a particularly compelling story, or characters. Everything on the personal level is presented in a pretty monotone, sanitized manner.

On the story front; the background is... stupid. I can buy not knowing that you're descended from a space-faring race-- that's a sci-fi staple. What I cannot is people having 22nd century technology, and satellites, yet never having discovered a wreck the size of a small metropolis on your planet sitting right there on the surface. Or the biggass ancient satellite and its death ray.

How the ships got to the planet was a nice touch though.

With characters, we of course have to talk about units. Homeworld 2 lacked personality in its unit voices; I was sad to discover that the Vagyr forces shared the same generic voices as the Higarrens. Only the Vaygr leader really had any personality about him.

There's a little more variety in the voices time around, and they even hand out names(!) to units who earn combat experience + promotions. But I still didn't connect well with them... partly because I had 4-5 of the same units with the same names. (Are you Viktor 1 or Viktor 5? Meh, meet Viktor 6. he'll be replacing Viktor 3.)

I certainly didn't connect well with "Rachel", the "protagonist" if there is one. The girl sounds bored in every scene she's in. She couldn't even carry the death of her brother with more than restrained disappointment.

We're introduced at the start to several members of the Kapisi crew, each representing a different function for the ship: Command, Engineering, Science, Intelligence. I thought then that this was to be an ensemble thing, but your barely hear from anyone else besides Rachel and the Intelligence officer.

I do sort of adore the latter, but that's due to a bug. Even during Rachel's ending-game monologue, even during the end credits, he couldn't help but chime in "Gaalsien aircraft approaching!". Which they always are.

Just to say, if there's any voice performance I was sold on, it was the Gaalsien Warlord; especially as he tried to evangelize my "northerners" amidst his death throes.

Speaking of bugs, there's a game-breaking one; Mission 4 won't continue if you destroyed a production cruiser while they're not moving. Reason being, the unfinished unit they were building will survive, and be invulnerable. I had to restart; and let the cruisers live, until it went on the run again.

There's also an annoying bug; Strike fighters take forever landing back on the Kapisi (Carrier/mothership). By selecting them, and ordering them to land, you can force it, but they're hard to select. Not doing so leaves them vulnerable to approach anti-air units. Aircraft, particularly the strike fighters, were a must for me. They were scouts, a probing force, and life savers (for my unprotected units) all in one. No units got more kills, nor died in higher numbers than they did.

Mechanics;

*Aircraft again were a nice feature, mostly responsive. I only wish you could set patrol à la Supreme Commander to counter enemy air incursions.

*Repair is taken away from the collectors, and given to "support" cruisers. This meant putting 2-3 of them at the front of my force to attract attention, while letting my range units snipe at the enemy from the rear.

* The Coalition (the player's faction) don't get sub-production cruisers; only the Kapisi can produce more. The Gaalsien however do.
What the Coalition do get is the Base Runner, which can build turrets.

* There is still a ship capture feature, but it's now a special ability from the science vessel (Rachel in campaign).

* There are two resource types. Resource units are rarer, and are now blue. Construction units are more common, and are rendered yellow.
Additionally, certain resource are held in warehouses which can be broken up, sometimes spawning a "relic" which can improve the performance of your units or the carrier.

* The carrier's power can be re-allocated à la Star Trek Bridge Commander or Starfleet Command III. I didn't experiment very widely with this, but you can on the fly switch the carrier from offensive or defensive posture, long range, or close quarters, simply by reallocating power to the sectors you think are needed. You can also over-allocate power to a sector, with the con being that the carrier will damage itself over time.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Blue Monday
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:28 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)

So recently a group of work mates and I have been talking more and more about Zelda and our different appreciations, favourite entries, characters, so on, so forth, all about the franchise. MM is hands down my favourite title, but here's the thing; I've never actually completed the game.

Yes, it's my favourite: Just thinking about the three day time system (which was pretty ahead of its time IMO), the richly layered side quests and sub-plots, the locales, soundtrack, designs and that aesthetic - As many will agree, it is the darkest Zelda game of them all, possessing something of a whimsical, existential terror and distinct sense of impending doom with that damn moon (Hah, I did a rhyme). Especially with themes of death, change and regret rampant throughout.

Recalling this post from a couple years ago; I've started playing Majora's on 3DS. I am content that I will finally finish this game this time, and I will be complete.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:34 am

Every time I try to leave FFXIV just keeps pulling me back in, goddamn this game.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:51 am

X COM 2 (with reinforcement pack)

I made a series of assumptions with this game, most of them proved wrong.

I started off building my team as I would in XCOM: EU, focusing heavily on the sniper class. Snipers however, while still powerful, aren't the money-maker class anymore. That turned out to be the Ranger. Of the ~660 aliens I killed in the campaign, my main ranger killed close to 1/3 of them.

I assumed that health bars, after a certain point, reflected the soldier's health. Before that point, my soldiers could take a hit or two without being injured.
Turns out, even with full armor, one or two lost hit points can translate to "gravely injured" = on the bench for over a week.

I thought that, eventually, I'd have to replace my original team with new guys who could better improve their "will" stat. I prepared a slate of squaddies just for that outcome. Turns out, no. Nothing about "will" is affected this way, and unless you want a full psy agent team (which are now their own discrete class, and take forever to train), there's no reason to replace your originals (unless, y'know, they die).

There is a minor boost in the form of the War center, which gives newly promoted units a single bonus from outside their class. But since this is assigned randomly, this seemed like too much work to find a useful combination.

When I entered the Alien Hunters mission, I hadn't even seen a Viper yet. I thought Bradford's "Reaper" Ability was unique to him. Thankfully, that was wrong.

When I got the Spark robot, I assumed that the Sacrifice ability would follow for a few turns before turning off. That mistake nearly got my whole team killed.

Speaking of which, background info in the database says that Shen invented those bots before the invasion.

I'm pretty sure that's an editorial oversight, as otherwise... wut? You mean to say that I mutilated my soldiers in XCOM: EW to create Mech troopers, when Shen knew perfectly damn well how to make robots that could do the exact same thing?

Though, not *exactly* the same I admit. I used my Spark as a tank, and early on, as a dedicated unit to strip enemy armor (I screwed up, so the spark was the only unit I had who could do this). But besides that, they're pretty mediocre soldiers. I kept using Unit-01 though, as it could still function as a tank even late game, and it's hilarious with the Julian voice, who I swear is the same guy that voiced the Riddler in the Batman games.

"Guns fire bullets, lights, sometimes plasma-- DID I MENTION THAT I NEED AMMO?!" :lol:

All in all, fun game. Just wish I could replace the music with the original's, it's the only thing I'd say isn't an improvement here.
Also, I miss Bradford's voice. BP
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:22 am

Zero Time Dilemma is pretty good so far, but god do i feel sorry for anyone who didn't start this trilogy from the beginning. Both of the previous ones only got especially interesting after getting an ending or two, so i'm not surprised that this hasn't hooked me yet, but i have confidence it will soon.

Bought Titty Witch 2, since it came with a Wii U port of Titty Witch 1. I like Rodin and all the references to other Hideki Kamiya titles, as well as the Eggman joke at the beginning. The game has style, but these Alfheim trials are really pissing me off; i can't bounce on tiny head angels for 20 seconds straight because Titty Witch has this annoying tendency to automatically drop kick if she falls too far.

chazthesilencer
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:48 am

It took me 29 hours to clear ZTD. No help from guides. Let me know if you beat me, King.

Prepare for the shock of your life when you discover Phi’s secret:
SPOILER: Show
That’s not her real hair colour! OMFG
EGF's best posts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

A blog I sometimes write something about stuff on

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:09 am

Another Metroid 2 Remake is out (that's actually it's name) and this is all I have to say to Nintendo besides fuck you:
https://youtu.be/o-WwL2FzjV4?t=7
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:58 pm

Dude:

DUDE:

DUDE YOOOOOOO:

From the new Spice and Wolf VN

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:06 am

you are too excited you posted this on the gaming thread not the Anime Thread.

Spice and Wolf is Baaaaaaaack! :woohoo:
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:55 pm

So uh, this happened:

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:24 am

^I've been really excited for this, hope my aging PC can handle it.

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Another Metroid 2 Remake is out (that's actually it's name) and this is all I have to say to Nintendo besides fuck you:
https://youtu.be/o-WwL2FzjV4?t=7

I've started playing this recently and I must say that it's a must-play for anyone craving a 2D Metroid/Metroidvania fix since it's unlikely Nintendo will be pooping one out soon, if ever. The only complaint I really have about it is that the Spin Charge Attack from Super Metroid and Zero Mission isn't around anymore (fully charge a shot, then jump into something to damage it) although I will concede that it was a pretty overpowered, albeit very fun ability as a kind of discount Screw Attack that could be used once the Charge Beam was acquired..
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:56 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:The only complaint I really have about it is that the Spin Charge Attack from Super Metroid and Zero Mission isn't around anymore

Um yes it is, the power was just scaled back a bit so it's not op.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”