[3.33] Things you noticed

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:22 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Weird stuff about the AU school uniform, didn't catch that on my first viewing of Q! The Minna no Eva Fan article suggests that perhaps the AU Rei was the original Rei (of the Ayanami Series?), and that's who Mari was referencing in 3.33 ("The original was a lot friendlier.")--as opposed to referencing say, Yui or Rei 2. In other words, maybe that scene from the Preview happened in the 14 year Timeskip.

I originally thought she was referring to Rei II, in the sense that she was "friendly" enough to throw Mari away from the N2 missile before it exploded. But now I think you may actually be right.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:24 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:I originally thought she was referring to Rei II

I assumed Mari was referring to Rei 2 as well, but that Minna no Eva Fan article gave some interesting food for thought if nothing else. :nod:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

iihieiii
Lilith

Postby iihieiii » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:47 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:It's stickers on the head/hair.

SPOILER: Show
http://i4.minus.com/ibm7YvwPLjU7Lm.png

http://i3.minus.com/iHzVRqM2Rd9f3.png

http://i.minus.com/iM31ly7iI8XVp.png

WAIT A MINUTE!!!! How did u get this pics from and where i can find them ????

Amazing :tongue:

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:50 pm

I bought the BD.

Thus I get the best quality and the extras like the making-of feature. :rei_dance:
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:07 pm

Firstly, I would like to thanks kuribo-04, who found a spanish site which referenced some details that I don't think were noticed yet, here is the source for those interested : http://www.taringa.net/posts/info/16692739/Detalles-de-Evangelion-3-33-que-no-viste.html

So first, one of the seats in the Anchoring Plug of the AAA Wunder is left vacant during all of the movie, even during the final battle :

A better view of the five entry-plug like structures on the roof of the Wunder, the red stripe really make them look like entry plugs :

Apparently, someone though that a bicycle would be useful in the AAA Wunder! :lol:

The logo of WILLE, you can make the letters W, I, L and E from the symbol : one of the two peaks "sectioned" can make a I, and turn the logo by 90° on the right to see the E :

The site tried to make the Tangram-like part of the neo-NERV logo leaf fit, it said that some pieces have been upscaled :

The glyph appearing in EVA-13's entry plug Interface while Shinji and Kawory were breaking the lid form a Tree of Life(saw in NGE in the EVA scrapyard and the giant glowing runes the harpies made in EoE just before starting Instrumentality). Also the 11 runes are actually the same, but turned on different positions

And now, something I finally understood only yesterday, when Shinji was searching for Rei shortly after his arrival in neo-NERV, we see an assembly chain for what the FINAL preview reveal is parts of Gendo's MP-EVAs :

The things on the right are the giant supports used in 1.0 and 2.0 to transport the EVAs through Tokyo-3's rail system(here it must serve to transport the MP-EVAs from their construction site to their storage area or something like that), but I always failed to see what the boxes on the right rail was, and as I said yesterday I finally hit me : those are the big boxes used to transport the EVAs' weapons through the rail system! We see three of them in 2.0 at Mari's feet when she was fighting Zeruel!
[wkimg]File:Eva2-22 C1472 a.jpg[/wkimg]
[wkimg]File:Eva2-22 C1472 b.jpg[/wkimg]
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:56 pm

I'm pretty sire most of the above has been noted already, but it's nice to get better screenshots.

The only part I can disagree with is the "tree of life" patterns. This comes up a lot, so I'm never convinced when a new reference is found.

Just on that image though: It has been noted that the holographic lines twirling around Shinji and Kaworu's entry plugs resemble the lines used in musical notation, hasn't it?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:11 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Just on that image though: It has been noted that the holographic lines twirling around Shinji and Kaworu's entry plugs resemble the lines used in musical notation, hasn't it?

Yep, it was also noted that these lines form the infinity symbol.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:41 am

...and these are just those whose heads were lleft intact...
*shudder*

The tag thing really IS yet another major shock...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:16 am

Thread surgery complete. The following part of one post from the tangent was on-topic:

kuribo-04 wrote:I don´t give much credence to the Trees of Life, but still, interesting.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:10 pm

Something absolutely awesome and chilling I noticed in the marathon of past Saturday : the moment when Shinji is climbing Lilith's corpse to retrieve the spears, the moment of his greatest personal failure(since the fault is entirely his), is a dark reprise of the moment in 1.0 when Shinji crawled to retrieve the Positron Canon after Ramiel blew-up the montain, one of his most bravest and heroic moments!

Shinji going to retrieve the Positron Canon in 1.0 :
ImageImage

Shinji going for the Spears in 3.0 :
ImageImage

It's like Anno wanted to methodically symbolically undo everything Shinji has done in the previous two movies! :bigeyes:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:16 pm

Also in 2.0: Shinji crawling towards Rei in the metaphysical space.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:18 pm

Yes! I forgot about that!

So that would give us something like that

Shinji going to retrieve the Positron Canon in 1.0, an heroic act that led to Ramiel's death and Tokyo-3(and mankind) saved :
ImageImage

Shinji going for Rei in 2.0, an heroic act that was the first step in a cataclysmic chain of event that led to the world being devastated :
[wkimg]File:Eva2-22 C1805.jpg[/wkimg]

Shinji going for the Spears in 3.0, a selfish act from a desperate boy unwilling to listen to the others' pleas to stop, which led to another cataclysm, fortunately prevented by Asuka, Mari and Kaworu :
ImageImage

Anno you genius! Anno you bastard! :lol:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Stillborn
Banned

Postby Stillborn » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Yep, we have a pettern here. If Shinji will be seen crawling in FINAL to do something heroic again, it means it will be shot down to hell in the very same movie or will be highly posible after ending credits.

It may actually end with Shinji crawling under a rock.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:53 pm

Yes, when I saw that scene it seemed familiar! Wow! Anno is a genius. In only 3 films he is making visual patterns, like in NGE.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:24 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
Shinji going to retrieve the Positron Canon in 1.0 :

Shinji going for the Spears in 3.0 :

Excellent catch. This is one for the wiki for certain. Any suggestions on where to put it?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:55 pm

Another pattern carried out over the three films so far I feel is food.

1.0 = Shinji is welcomed to Misato's house with her idea of a good meal. Impersonally already made microwaveable food with lots of product placement. Kinda impersonal but hey, she heated it up for him.
Next time we see food in 1.0 it's Rei giving him an already made, vacuum sealed meal. Also impersonal but it's offered to him. Shinji's cared for but he feels like an outsider so the effort of preparing food is purely based on convenience. Whatever is the quickest & easiest to make.

2.0 = Food heavy. The film that most directly references food & one element the film was heavily attacked for. Usually the impersonal - McDonald's, green tea in a bag, etc - is directly mentioned or referenced against the personal - meals that Shinji makes for his friends & roommates, the steak Gendo eats compared against Rei's pills. Of course there's also the vending machine "instant coffee" immediately followed by images of Kaji's homegrown melons. The big one is of course the idea of home cooked meals being done by Rei or Asuka. Shinji & Co are finally feeling attuned to one another & now the convienence of ready made food is replaced with more delicate & time-consuiming to make meals.
All the images & references towards food stop cold when we launch into the third act. The only references towards consumption are Unit 01 literally chewing & ripping out Unit 03's insides & the 10th Angel "absorbing" Unit 00.

3.0 = Come 3.0 food is almost all but gone. Mari feeds herself impersonally prepared snacks & we are deliberatly shown the "food" Shinji is fed. The concept of food & meals have fallen even below the microwaveable standards of 1.0. Shinji is far so removed from everyone & the world that convenience is no longer an issue. He's just given stuff that has the nutrients he needs to survive. "Food" that's probably shat out by a machine.
I'm working on this theory, the only other direct consumption reference in 3.0 I can recall is Unit 13 "absorbing" the 12th Angel.

Anywho, like the crawling motiff I hope the food concept is carried through into 4.0. These four films really do work best as parts of a whole & these little images & motifs really help bind them all together. I personally think it would be great to actually finish the subplot regarding food that 2.0 started. Asuka could Shinji to her personal quarters on the Wunder to tell him what she went through during the past 14 years & it could be a genuine quiet moment between the two pilots. While she tells Shinji her story she makes them a very simple nutrient heavy gruel & it's not highlighted or anything but the whole food subplot could come full circle with her finally having made Shinji a meal & not have given it a second thought. It's just a natural action.

Anywho, yeah that's my rant.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:57 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Excellent catch. This is one for the wiki for certain. Any suggestions on where to put it?

Have we got a section on recurring themes throughout NTE? If not, this would be an excellent excuse to create one.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:08 pm

Don't forget to add the moment where Shinji is crawling for Rei inside Zeruel's core, it seems that crawling to your goal is a recurring them of Rebuild, and everytime it led to the climax of the movie : Shinji crawling to the Positron Canon and killing Ramiel with it while Rei is protecting him in 1.0, Shinji crawling to Zeruel's core to save Rei and accidentally triggering N3I in 2.0, and finally Shinji crawling to the two spears, driven insane by the guilt of what happened 14 years ago and triggering 4I, a point of no-return from where Kaworu have to die.

Also, I really like your idea for the food pattern coming to a conclusion in FINAL, Gendo'sPapa!
Last edited by ElMariachi on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:35 pm

wasn't this pointed out a lot earlier?

By me, but I don't think I was even amongst the first ones.
Still, seeing the shots next to each other, I realize that the parallelism is a lot more blatant than I initially thought, down to the positions of Shinji's arms/eyes/mouth
The 2.22 one does not resemble the others to that much, yeah, he's firece/crawling, but looking downward/ not in more or less the same ratio of Shinji-to-background. The first one is quite blatant.

(In close temporal proximity, we have both of Shinji's visits/introductions to terminal dogma, he directly references the first one by mentioning Misato & the things she informed him of, the efforts of the NERV personel that has now gone to waste)

But I would interpret this somewhat differently; As in 1.11, we have a huge emphasis on the sheer excertion Shinji was forcing himself into.
He really, really, really wanted to fix that mess, save the world etc, but this time, it blew up in his face... the word we're looking for is "classic tragic hero."
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:22 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The script calls it a "giant Ayanami"

Does this mean that it could be Yui´s head? Beause Yui is now Yui Ayanami.

(Sorry that I bring up something so old, but even in the FAQ it says that it´s Rei´s head, but now I´m not so sure.)
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”