Rebuild Timeline Discussion [Split]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Amitch1991
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Amitch1991 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:38 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Actually, FINAL is in 2032, since 2.0 was in 2018. :devil:

That's it if FINAL doesn't have a surprise time skip too.

how do you know that 2.0 is set 3 years after 1.0 ? they dont mention that in the movie do they ?
The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth

Xbox Live Gamertag : Th3at3rofDr3ams

Facebook : www.facebook.com/BigDogAdz

Twitter : @RealAACentral

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:58 am

As many things in Evangelion, through littles details in the background :

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion_Timeline#Events_from_Rebuild_of_Evangelion

EDIT : I didn't read well the question : it's not suggested that 2.0 take place three years after 1.0, but that 2.0 take place at the beginning of 2018(February to be precise) and 1.0 in the final months of 2017 thanks to a notice pinned up on Shinji's classroom's bulletin board talking about something happening Monday 13th of November, the 13th of November being a Monday in 2017. But since this note is still pinned in 2.0, it's possible that it has been forgotten here and that 1.0 actually takes place in December 2017 or January 2018.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:12 am

View Original PostAmitch1991 wrote:how do you know that 2.0 is set 3 years after 1.0 ? they dont mention that in the movie do they ?

It's also suggested that the first film takes place in 2018 or something. There are calendars in the background that have certain dates on certain days of the week, and since Yui's headstone says she lived until 2004, this means everything that takes place happens after 2004, and the only year with that certain date on that certain day of the week means that Evas 1.0 and 2.0 probably took place in 2018.

But that's assuming the calendars are accurate. I think someone else pointed out that the calendar in Ep 9 of NGE wasn't accurate to the year 2015, so all this speculation could all be for nought.

I don't think it's that important either way in these movies (just yet). The important part is that Yui "died" in 2004 after becoming the control system for Unit 01, Shinji grew up most of his life without her, and that there's a 14-year time gap between 2.0 and 3.0.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:40 am

So if Yui died 14 years before Jo happens, and Shinji is still only 14 then, it is hardly surprising he has no memories of the contact experiment his mum rushed off to straight from squatting him out.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:58 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:So if Yui died 14 years before Jo happens, and Shinji is still only 14 then, it is hardly surprising he has no memories of the contact experiment his mum rushed off to straight from squatting him out.

Yeah, I'd give her a couple months tops before she headed back to work. But that's assuming the calendars are correct, and that we know how old the characters are in Jo. (I really can't remember if we were ever told the ages of the characters. Heck, I even forget if "middle school student" was specified. Looks like a re-watch is in order for me.)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:03 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:So if Yui died 14 years before Jo happens, and Shinji is still only 14 then, it is hardly surprising he has no memories of the contact experiment his mum rushed off to straight from squatting him out.

Well, according to Fuyutsuki's photography Yui was still around when Shinji was around 3-4 years old.

But yeah the timeline is rather obscure.

Half-baked explanation : it could fit if 2I happened in early 2002(2002 + 15 = 2017, Misato kept saying "15 years ago" in 2.0 because she wasn't exactly in the right mindset to make the calculation with 3I happening right on her face), Yui was already pregnant with Shinji who was born very shortly after, then fast forward a little less than three years later, we are at the end of 2004 when Yui made the Contact Experiment, making Shinji very close to his third birthday, the age he was seen in the photography.(approximately the age I could find it realistic for someone to keep a very strong memory, like seeing you mother get absorbed by a giant apocalyptic cyborg)
It's even possible that Fuyutsuki's photo was taken the very day of the Contact Experiment.

But that will effectively made the pilots slightly older than in NGE : 15-16 years old instead of 13-14.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:24 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Heck, I even forget if "middle school student" was specified.

Pretty sure it is, or at least the 1.0/2.0 Japanese scripts probbaly mention they're at a junior high. The name in NGE at least is Tokyo-3 City First Junior High School.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:37 pm

I'm pretty sure they just failed to check what weekday the 13th november of 2015 would be.
It's a minor BG detail, people.

the dates on Yui's tombstone are the same, and if you look a lil' Shinji's age in the Q-photo, it doesn't look like he was much younger than in the series when she got tanged.

The thing is, Rebuild!Shinji already looks all timid as a baby; At least anime!Shinji appeared to have had a reasonably pleasant first three years before everything went to hell.

Of course, that photo needn't be representative of Rebuild!Shinji's entire toddler existence, especially since he's surrounded by a lot of strangers and has Mari's mom messing with him, but it speaks for something that this is the only Pre-Experiment Pic we ever see of him, and he's already a sorry sight.
Perhaps he could already faintly sense how thoroughly doomed he was...
and there he was hoping that he would at least have a sufficiently non-horrible office drone job by 28...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:38 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:the dates on Yui's tombstone are the same, and if you look a lil' Shinji's age in the Q-photo, it doesn't look like he was much younger than in the series when she got tanged.

Well, I had a theory that could more or less fit the new period when Rebuild happen with the past events :
View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:So if Yui died 14 years before Jo happens, and Shinji is still only 14 then, it is hardly surprising he has no memories of the contact experiment his mum rushed off to straight from squatting him out.

Well, according to Fuyutsuki's photography Yui was still around when Shinji was around 3-4 years old.

But yeah the timeline is rather obscure.

Half-baked explanation : it could fit if 2I happened in early 2002(2002 + 15 = 2017, Misato kept saying "15 years ago" in 2.0 because she wasn't exactly in the right mindset to make the calculation with 3I happening right on her face), Yui was already pregnant with Shinji who was born very shortly after, then fast forward a little less than three years later, we are at the end of 2004 when Yui made the Contact Experiment, making Shinji very close to his third birthday, the age he was seen in the photography.(approximately the age I could find it realistic for someone to keep a very strong memory, like seeing you mother get absorbed by a giant apocalyptic cyborg)
It's even possible that Fuyutsuki's photo was taken the very day of the Contact Experiment.

But that will effectively made the pilots slightly older than in NGE : 15-16 years old instead of 13-14.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:The thing is, Rebuild!Shinji already looks all timid as a baby; At least anime!Shinji appeared to have had a reasonably pleasant first three years before everything went to hell.

Of course, that photo needn't be representative of Rebuild!Shinji's entire toddler existence, especially since he's surrounded by a lot of strangers and has Mari's mom messing with him, but it speaks for something that this is the only Pre-Experiment Pic we ever see of him, and he's already a sorry sight.
Perhaps he could already faintly sense how thoroughly doomed he was...
and there he was hoping that he would at least have a sufficiently non-horrible office drone job by 28...

Now, I don't think that this photo is all we will see of lil' Shinji : Fuyutsuki's comment that Shinji's memories of the events have been erased marks a too big difference from NGE for not being an important point that will have to be discussed in FINAL, and I get the hunch that we will get the Rebuild version of lil'Shinji smiling at his mother just before the CE that was briefly teased in Q when Kozo told Shinji about it.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:36 pm

That bit about Shinji's memories having been erased is odd. Certainly, memory wiping isn't beyond the means of Seele, but I hope the meaning is closer to: "your memories have been suppressed".

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:45 pm

Translation wrote:君も見ていたよ。記憶が消去されているがな。
Your memories were erased.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:32 pm

Yeah, I get what the exact wording is, but I hope it's Shinji who erased them. Wishful thinking, probably, but the idea of technology erasing his thoughts is a bit too cheese ball for me. Seele (or whomever) would really care THAT much about the distant memories of a toddler? If they're going that road, hopefully Anno has a good reason.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:17 am

Well, Beta-Blockers are/can be used in real life to erase/block memories to forget traumatic things and stuff.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:39 am

Maybe it's sort of like the nanomachines in Metal Gear Solid 4? :tongue:
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:39 am

Beta blockers erase memories? I thought they were more about combating things like anxiety and high blood pressure. I don't know much about it, though. I'm not sure Shinji would even register the event as traumatic, especially if the whole thing was as serene as it is in Rebuild.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:03 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Beta blockers erase memories? I thought they were more about combating things like anxiety and high blood pressure. I don't know much about it, though. I'm not sure Shinji would even register the event as traumatic, especially if the whole thing was as serene as it is in Rebuild.

Yes, they are intended for blood pressure and heart stuff etc. but memory loss can be a side effect... just google beta blockers and memory loss. Like http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20090216/beta-blocker-may-erase-fearful-memories

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:43 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:I'm not sure Shinji would even register the event as traumatic, especially if the whole thing was as serene as it is in Rebuild.

Not when Yui was quietly descending and fusing with the core no, but after when there was a big flash of light, her body exploded into tang, leaving only her dive-suit and with Gendo probably screaming her name and all the ruckus among the scientist and alarms blaring, that should traumatize him enough.
Without counting that from point on Mommy never came back and barely a week after Gendo abandoned him in a train station, and that memory he remembers well, even though it was very soon after Yui's CE.

Also take into account that Shinji did suppressed this memory in NGE, he only remembered it during his mind trip when Leliel absorbed him, while in Rebuild they have been deliberately erased by someone else.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:46 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Maybe it's sort of like the nanomachines in Metal Gear Solid 4? :tongue:

Annomachines
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:43 am

@ WarrenPeace: There's nothing that indicates how Shinji's memories were erased, but keep in mind the brainwashing talk in 1.0 between Gendo and Fuyutsuki. I don't see how Shinji as a 3 or 4 year old could have erased his own memories unless Final reveals some weird ass shit. :kaos_sick: The only thing that would make sense is little Shinji suppressing them like in NGE.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Also take into account that Shinji did suppressed this memory in NGE, he only remembered it during his mind trip when Leliel absorbed him

When he was stuck in Eva-01 for a month, actually. Episode 20.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:37 pm

I wouldn't put that much importance on calendar dates most likely picked at random.

But since this is Eva you never know.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”