Evangelion Pic Thread 11: Mari's Middlesex Manor of Mayhem and Fantabulous Foppery

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 Spoiler Fanart, Merchandise and Cosplay

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:15 pm

From the characteristic hair fringe that definitely does seem to be Shinji.

It's an AU if anything, or just a reference to that bit during Kaworu's instrumentality sequence where Shinji appears at a kid - For one thing, in the actual last scene Rei no longer has the long hair, & has a skirt, not a jeans.

Lol @ the one where all the pilots are stealing Asuka's look. I always figured Mari would look great with braids.

The neo nerve one looks really cool, ever since the Gendo flashback I did wonder if that Piano Ksaworu ended up claiming wasn't originally Gendo#s.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:23 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:From the characteristic hair fringe that definitely does seem to be Shinji.

That kid has brown eyes and his skin tone is lighter than Shinji. So, unless the colorist make two mistakes, he doesn't seem to be Shinji. Also, the kid seems to be younger than Shinji in the Instrumenstality.

In itself, it's pretty clear Khara wants to make a reference to Kaworu/Gendo/Father and Rei/Yui/Mother. So, it's pretty likely Khara wants to imply they would become a couple.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:It's an AU if anything, or just a reference to that bit during Kaworu's instrumentality sequence where Shinji appears at a kid - For one thing, in the actual last scene Rei no longer has the long hair, & has a skirt, not a jeans.

Kaworu and Rei wouldn't have a kid in the Epilogue of Shin either. However, this image could be after that, which would explain Rei's long hair.

PS: We don't know if Rei is using jeans in this image. It could be an skirt.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:44 pm

In 4chan, I find an image in better quality:

https://ibb.co/3vGqcxk

The kid has red eyes. In this quality, it's pretty clear that the kid isn't Shinji.

And Rei is using a skirt.

That said, this another official image has a small contradiction with what is mentioned in the new manga:

https://ibb.co/LCDF7nM
Last edited by Konja7 on Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:31 am, edited 9 times in total.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:00 am

The pict might not be like strictly canon but nice contributions/interpretations by big name guest artists - not that they all have slightly different art styles.

The other one with all the five pilots has Shinji & Kaworu talking, for example.

These reminds me of this calendar that came out soon after Q came out - the one that had the paintings of Shinji & Kaworu facing each other and the Mk Nine going through a lake?

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:That said, this another official image has a small contradiction with what is mentioned in the new manga:

Whoha good catch, Mari says she "only saw him once before" (and she also speaks of herself & Asuka as different from the lilin. )

If she & barette woman were one and the same (rather than a donor situation), Mari would definitely have seen him before in that picture from Q.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:53 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:The pict might not be like strictly canon but nice contributions/interpretations by big name guest artists - not that they all have slightly different art styles.

I've read that the image of Kaworu and Rei with the kid was drawn by the co-director of Shin. If this is true, that would make the image extremely close to the canon.

Honestly, it has always been pretty likely that Khara wants to imply Kaworu x Rei in the Epilogue, that's why Asuka was apart from them. Many people first impression of that scene was that they were on date.
Last edited by Konja7 on Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ohno2100
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ohno2100 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:07 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Image

https://ibb.co/3vGqcxk

The kid has red eyes. In this quality, it's pretty clear that the kid isn't Shinji.

...Am I colorblind or just plain stupid? Because those eyes look more brownish to me. Either way, not Shinji yeah.

Unless it was Manga Shinji the whole time. :mari_nya:

TyroLuuki
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TyroLuuki » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:27 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I've read that the image of Kaworu and Rei with the kid was drawn by the co-director of Shin (Katsuichi Nakayama).

It was drawn by Iseki Shuichi, along with the drawing of Tsubame with the Rei plush.
And I must say, he did a damn good job drawing Kaworu. He looks really handsome there.
Kaworu and Asuka deserved better tbh

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:35 am

View Original PostTyroLuuki wrote:It was drawn by Iseki Shuichi, along with the drawing of Tsubame with the Rei plush.
And I must say, he did a damn good job drawing Kaworu. He looks really handsome there.

Thank you very much for the clarification. I'm sorry for my mistake.

Iseki Shuichi is an Animation Director for Shin. He also works in Character Design and Key Animation for Shin.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... p?id=96581

Huagh
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Huagh » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:43 am

Ummm, that kid is definetly Shinji. I don’t know why anyone would think it’s not. Yeah the eye color isn’t blue, but artist have never colored Shinji’s eyes (or hair) the same color before this. And I doubt someone would just decide to draw a random new character (that looks exactly like another), especially when none of the other illustrations feature new characters.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:57 am

View Original PostHuagh wrote:Ummm, that kid is definetly Shinji. I don’t know why anyone would think it’s not. Yeah the eye color isn’t blue, but artist have never colored Shinji’s eyes (or hair) the same color before this. And I doubt someone would just decide to draw a random new character (that looks exactly like another), especially when none of the other illustrations feature new characters.

It isn't just the red-brown eyes and hair color (with a grey tone). It's also the white pale skin tone of the kid.

https://ibb.co/TLVHNsK

If the kid was Shinji, the colorist would have been wrong on every possible way. That level of mistake seems extremely unlikely, since Kaworu and Rei have the right colors.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:01 am

idk seems within the normal art style fluctuation to me, i don't think the kid looks that light.

I was never sure if the 'blue' eyes are just an art style thing like Misato's hair being shaded purple etc, or if he's literally supposed to be a Japanese dude with blue eyes.

In any case these are just some cast member's ideas of what a cute illustration would be, to draw out the film ticket sales a bit.

The one where they're all stealing Asuka's underpants and jacket seems to have been drawn by a more KawoShin leaning cast member instead XDD
It doesn't really look like there was a big plan behind it like wth the rcb for example and I doubt it's supposed to 'push' anything, if there was,you'd think the little manga would have been meatier/ had more plot content.

brer rabbit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brer rabbit » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:23 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:In 4chan, I find an image in better quality:

Who's the girl on the left?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:31 am

View Original Postbrer rabbit wrote:
View Original PostKonja7#924418 wrote:In 4chan, I find an image in better quality:

Who's the girl on the left?

Probably a slightly older Tsubame. (one or two years old)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:31 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:idk seems within the normal art style fluctuation to me, i don't think the kid looks that light.

I doubt it's just art style fluctuation, since Shinji always has a slightly "darker" skin than Yui even as kid.

Instead, the kid with Kaworu and Rei seems to have a white milk skin tone:

That said, as you mentioned, it could just be the staff members having fun or their personal interpretations. So, maybe we shouldn't read too much on that.

View Original Postbrer rabbit wrote:Who's the girl on the left?

It should be Tsubame. We only see her as a baby in Shin, so the artist has drawn her as a toddler.
Last edited by Konja7 on Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:34 am

or it could just be a random little girl with a Rei plush, as a comment on the shows cultural impact.

like the very similar q extra booklet that had the anatomy of godilla except its eva 02

idk who the two chicks in the pic next to the may and midori one are even supposed to be

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:38 am

It is 3 years old Tsubame, as it says at the bottom of the page:「ツバメ3歳」
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:10 am

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:It is 3 years old Tsubame, as it says at the bottom of the page:「ツバメ3歳」

Ah! i missed that. I guess there we would have a suggested design for what she may look like when she gets to be a toddler

i also like the one where kensuke is teaching ryoji mechanic stuff while Asuka hides out in the bg.

Also, did i read that wrong or is karaoke Yui singing the song from the untanging sequence?

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:49 am

Oh, man. I loved the new artwork so much much! It has this "family vibe" behind it!
My favorite is the one in which KenKen appears alongside Kaji and Asuka. I have long wondered if these three would make a nice little family (since Kensuke, the "new Kaji", seems to be taking care of Jr to some extent). Anyway, it's wholesome!

As for the crazy discussion that has been going on between Kaworu, Ayanami, Yui and Gendo, I've seen some Japanese accounts (on Twitter) mentioning the fact that, in the new poster, Kaworu's shadow is aligned with Gendo's and Rei's with Yui's. It's definitely nothing major, but it's a decent observation, I guess.
Last edited by BernardoCairo on Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:01 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Also, did i read that wrong or is karaoke Yui singing the song from the untanging sequence?

If I understood what you said, yes, It’s a snippet from that inserction song “VOYAGER〜日付のない墓標”, more precisely from the chorus:
私があなたと知り合えたことを
私があなたを愛してたことを
死ぬまで死ぬまで誇りにしたいから
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

TyroLuuki
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TyroLuuki » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:04 am

This one was drawn by Atsushi Nishigori, hence the whole Darling in the Franxx vibe.

This one was drawn by Mahiro Maeda, who previously drew the preview poster in January and that stunning Eva/Godzilla crossover art.
Kaworu and Asuka deserved better tbh

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”