evangelion:Another Impact (Confidential)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:58 pm

^ Thanks!
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:00 pm

http://animatorexpo.com/evangelionanotherimpact/
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:02 pm

Ahhh Yeah :smokin:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:08 pm

Anno you are such a troll! Saying it was it's own world, and then pulling back to reveal the truth.

Awesome!

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:08 pm

So live action Eva it is... Also like the other shorts hint at a continuation.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:15 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Anno you are such a troll!

Can we just start autobanning for this?

View Original PostRay wrote:Saying it was it's own world, and then pulling back to reveal the truth.

There wasn't anything in there to link this to any existing universe.

The only things this reveals are:
-Megumi Hayashibara and Koichi Yamadera are still capable of doing the hilarious low-budget shtick of using the same actors for multiple background voices.
-stock anime sound effects do not work with realistic image

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:52 pm

EDIT: Let the opening roll. It's different this time. I'm pretty sure y'all have always wanted to watch a giant mascot character designed by Anno, which consists of the simplest body ever and a head full of kanji drawn by Miyazaki, walk around a city. It might be better than the short lol.

On the one hand this was pretty cool, on the other this makes me realize "ridiculous" things just don't look good when they are realistic. Like a giant robot. While in animation they look awesome.
Also, it's hard to make a stupid looking Eva, but they did it.
Uses the same music the whole time I think?

So what does it mean? The Eva sees Rei, is shocked and then we see the red sea. Is it just meant to be cool and in the style of Eva? There just isn't enough for it to be its own thing.

Anno is credited as original work. Same as Until you come to me. So that doesn't mean anything. He worked on Until you come to me though. While the importance of that one is still to be unveiled (at least for me) this one is just...something. I'm pretty sure. And on its own it isn't anything special either. But it was nice.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:57 pm

The music if from 2.0:

Main movie: 2EM01 "At The Very Beginning"
Credit roll: 2EM28_EM13

Original EM13 is from the 1.0 OST but the 2.0 version was used.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:58 pm

Don't you think they should have used another track the moment the Eva reaches the surface? It's the same track the whole time.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:04 pm

It's one of my favorite tracks so I'm fine with it hogging the entire length :P

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:05 pm

Yea I agree with that Kuribo, they should have given it more music.

Some Imagines that I found interesting. In Spoiler.
SPOILER: Show

Destroyed Toyko-3?

Rei Ayanami Eye shot.

Unit-Null's Roar

Edit- Finally learned how to quickly take screenshots, today is a good day. -o-;
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:13 pm

HOLY CRAP EVERYTHING LOOKS SO FANTASTIC!!! Never liked this director’s feature works, but this short installment for Anima(tor) Expo is great!

It’s interesting that we’re gonna get a whole friggin’ interview with the creative team behind this one, since we didn’t get one for the last Eva-themed short film. And it’s awesome that it used motion-capture. That shows signs of its promise continued use and development within the upcoming Eva Shin, which excites the Hell outta me. (Maybe the use of motion-capture for Eva Shin is one of the reasons behind the interview? I know the others had them, but the last Eva-inspired short didn’t, so I wonder.)

Also, as much as I’m not one to conflate canons, I do wonder if the Impact mechanics here are modeled after some of NTE’s possibly yet-unseen Impact mechanics. Everything about it says “No. it doesn’t. There aren’t even any sky rings in this one, so shut up!” But on the other hand, again, I can’t help but wonder. Consider this a very light musing, and not a thought I’d actively chase after.

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Can we just start autobanning for this?

I’m the last to start asking for an auto-consor/ban/whatever on certain typed phrases, but I agree that it’s always annoying and pointless to conversation, especially since it’s now being used to describe things that aren’t even of Anno.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:17 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Can we just start autobanning for this?

Guess I haven't been around Eva long enough.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:19 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Anno you are such a troll! Saying it was it's own world, and then pulling back to reveal the truth.

Awesome!

What truth? that was clearly its own thing lol!

Fairly neat tho!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:33 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote: That shows signs of its promise continued use and development within the upcoming Eva Shin, which excites the Hell outta me.

The mo-cap experiments we know of from Q were done by khara in cooperation with Picture Element and Toho studios.

This short was entirely done by Sola Digital Arts, a completely separate entity existing since 2010 and doing their own style of 3D since inception under Shinji Aramaki.

The only Khara staffer on this short is Atsushi Takeuchi who did the design of the Eva. Everything else including the modelling was done by Sola staff. The final product just shows more of the same stuff Sola has done all along and doesn't have a hint of experimentation.

I don't see this as an extension of what khara tried but instead them being hands off while other people mess around in their own sandbox.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Give it more legs. No, more than that. Keep going.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:45 pm

The Black Evangelion's sheer, flat head bring to mind the front of a battleship. Also reminded me of Kancolle's Senkan Re-kyuu.

SPOILER: Show

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Also, it's hard to make a stupid looking Eva, but they did it.

Too young to remember the intended abomination that was Unit-05?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:48 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:The mo-cap experiments we know of from Q were done by khara in cooperation with Picture Element and Toho studios.

This short was entirely done by Sola Digital Arts, a completely separate entity existing since 2010 and doing their own style of 3D since inception under Shinji Aramaki.

Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:53 pm

I like "At the very beginning" too, but the Rebuild has many good tracks, They could have used one more.
This seemed a little amateur. Like "Let's pick this one!" and that's all the thought that was put into music.

Too young to remember the intended abomination that was Unit-05?

Do you mean the Rebuild one (I guess). Looked really weird too, but we never get to see its actual face. Wit this one, we know how weird the mouth is.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:04 pm

In playing catch-up today, my videos kept lagging. Due to all those Eva fans watching today's installment, I'm sure.

Like anything Eva, that certainly raised more questions than answers! I had a lot of fun with this one, and can't even begin to come up with any theories of what/why/etc...Rei, quit being an Impact Trigger!

I haven't seen any of Aramaki's stuff, but I'm pleased to hear EGFers are overall pleased with his work on this. These derivative works are so interesting, I do hope they'll sprinkle in a few more Eva ones.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:40 pm

I enjoyed it. Also glad to see the people realizing that a live action Eva is not a good idea.

Though the short really goes to show that a strong sound design is one of the most integral elements of filmmaking. The visuals were solid - as far as video game-esque visuals go - but the sound design in general was pretty awful. How they could just loop the same track from 2.0 three or four times back to back is beyond me.

Still, I greatly enjoyed this short overall despite the flaws. Though I'm hopeful the Expo might lay off Evangelion shorts & references until we near the end so we can get more fully original work.

Oh, I too want there to be an auto-ban of the "Anno is a troll" thing.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”