[News] 2013 News (NO POLITICS)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:09 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote::bigeyes: ...And just how much is that?
In the range 200-300ml of alcohol a week. Source.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:58 pm

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:10 pm

Alan Turing is one of my heroes, so I'll put this here; but I agree 100% with the Guardian columnist in this article. This pardon is so wrongly conceived, it merely repeats the shame of the past.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:50 pm

Looked me dead in the face asked 'cash or credit?'

Sentencing a man to starve to death for one indecent act is a tad extreme.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:01 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Alan Turing is one of my heroes, so I'll put this here; but I agree 100% with the Guardian columnist in this article. This pardon is so wrongly conceived, it merely repeats the shame of the past.

Agreed, particularly with the last paragraph of the article:

The Guardian wrote:As the legal commentator David Allen Green has pointed out, there is no reason why this provision could not be extended to cover all those convicted, whether living or dead, without the requirement for a personal application. With a little bit of political marketing, it could become known as the Turing law, recorded as such in the history books for generations to come. Now that really would be a fitting tribute to a national hero.

Can't imagine a more fitting tribute, and given that this sort of legislation has already been passed (at least regarding people in the here and now) I'm a bit surprised this didn't occur to anyone else in Parliament. It'd be good press, after all, and wouldn't require much expenditure in the way of political capital.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:47 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Alan Turing is one of my heroes, so I'll put this here; but I agree 100% with the Guardian columnist in this article. This pardon is so wrongly conceived, it merely repeats the shame of the past.
Damn right it does. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't pleased to hear about this supposed pardon.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:26 pm

Not really "news" proper, but still pretty interesting: http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/618786/cannabis-equation

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:48 am

A new strain of norovirus that wreaks havoc on people's stomachs is so vicious that it's being called a " superbug" by doctors.

Though it was first identified in Australia, this norovirus - also called the Sydney strain - is quickly spreading across the United States.

Symptoms come on very suddenly, within hours after a person has been exposed to it.

Because no one has immunity to this new strain, more Americans - perhaps 50 percent more, the CDC says - could become violently ill.

While the flu is spread mostly in the air by sneezes and coughs and a person needs to breathe in as many as 1,000 virus particles to get sick, the norovirus is far more contagious. Just 18 norovirus particles can make a person sick.

The flu can last two to four hours on hard surfaces outside
e your body, but the norovirus can survive and remain infectious for weeks.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:56 am

Perhaps a reference, and a little less panicky text:
In the U.S., it is currently the leading cause of norovirus outbreaks. However, the new strain does not appear to have caused more norovirus illness than in other years.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:01 pm

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/battlefield-china-banned-illegal-shooter,25542.html

Not surprisingly they banned it.

Meanwhile a class action suit is being prepared against EA for alleged antitrust violations.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:25 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:The flu can last two to four hours on hard surfaces outside[/i]e your body, but the norovirus can survive and remain infectious for weeks.

Hang on a moment, I thought this thing had been around since last year. And I think I've already had it, too.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:01 am

In 1930 an expedition in wooden boats reached the coast of Antarctica south of Australia. An attempt to replicate the expedition (in a modern ship) has become stuck in the ice tens of miles offshore and three different icebreakers have failed to reach them. But they're now going to be airlifted off when the weather improves.

Also from Australia -- is there nothing duct tape can't do?

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”