Q Trailers Thread (was: Q trailer on new Nico Nico)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:18 pm

The lighting and color tint of the two shots seems to be pretty different though.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Chrad » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Maybe Kaworu has a spotlight on him.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:40 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Okay I'm officially a bit oversaturated by 'Asuka is really fucking angry and frantic' already. Is that all she gets to do in this movie (before getting killed off?) just run around screaming and freaking the hell out? The over-emoting of her 'I'm REALLY FEELING SOMETHING RIGHT NOW AND SHIT IS SERIOUS' is... overboard, whatever the hell is going on, probably. Anyway just me nitpicking I guess but geez.

Shit, and here I thought was the only one. At first I was excited that she was getting play up in advertising, now it just looks like she's going to be a disposable action girl.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:45 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Shit, and here I thought was the only one. At first I was excited that she was getting play up in advertising, now it just looks like she's going to be a disposable action girl.

You did see EoE, right?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Nonoriri » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:06 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:You did see EoE, right?

Soryu had an entire tv series of development on her side, actual character depth, and interacting with the lead that didn't involve her in an Eva blowing shit up. Shikinami doesn't have development that's convincing because of rushed pacing, weird emotional returns from the writers like the entire lead up to the Bardiel arc, and it's aftermath.

The only cuts we've seen so far have been underwhelming, one has even been RECYCLED three times.

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Seen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:16 pm

I'm extremely hyped for the movie, that's all I can really say at this point.
Utena figures out why the duelists are dueling but what the hell kind of answers does she get? "Because I want to find the power of miracles, I'm going to chop bitches with a sword so I can get a creepy aspie girlfriend who waters roses and shit. which will grant me the power of miracles. I KNOW THIS GODDAMNIT DON'T ASK HOW" -Azathoth

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Jornophelanthas » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:18 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:The only cuts we've seen so far have been underwhelming, one has even been RECYCLED three times.

By contrast, Shinji has not been featured in previews AT ALL until this week's trailer.
In addition, the two movies we have had so far still do not amount to the screentime Shinji has been given in a full TV series.

By your logic, that must mean that Shinji will receive little to no screentime in the actual movie as well.

TheTuna
Adam

Postby TheTuna » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:31 pm

The vast majority of what we've seen from Asuka in promo videos so far appears to be part of the same battle sequence. Let's not get too worried without real evidence of a problem.

Personally, I agree with the theory that we're probably seeing a scene toward the start of the movie where an Angel attacks while most of the kids are locked up/otherwise occupied and Asuka has to launch to deal with it. Maybe she's talking to Mari? That'd explain why she's so angry.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:33 pm

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:By contrast, Shinji has not been featured in previews AT ALL until this week's trailer.
In addition, the two movies we have had so far still do not amount to the screentime Shinji has been given in a full TV series.

By your logic, that must mean that Shinji will receive little to no screentime in the actual movie as well.

^This. They're obviously giving us entry plug shots because these don't spoil too much.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Nonoriri » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:38 pm

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:By contrast, Shinji has not been featured in previews AT ALL until this week's trailer.

This isn't even the same thing at all, it's more like Asuka is shown only in combat scenario which is potentially totally irrelevant to anything happening in the rest of the film, Shinji is shown actually interacting with someone and thus can be developed as a character further. If Asuka is alone in space, it isn't the ideal way to continue her development but can be a way to give her something to do without actually needing to address anything.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:40 pm

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostNonoriri wrote:Image

She's coming to kick everyone's backsides. We've got a month to make ready

People need to go back and watch the original 2.22 teasers/trailers - look at what is shows and more importantly doesnt show (such as who is/isn't in Unit 3). Watch for the instances where shots from completely different parts of the film are in a sequence and give completely the wrong impression. I've made that mistaken assumption in this thread already.

Nothing in the footage we have of 3.0 could relate to anything else.

View Original PostTheTuna wrote:Maybe she's talking to Mari? That'd explain why she's so angry.

Im more interested in how Mari is going to react to Asuka rather than the other way around. Is she going to shout back, flirt with her, just stand back and let the fury wash over her. Do they already know each other, if so how well, and in...ahem...what sense. Whatever else happens I think Mari will be in some way impervious to the Shikinami steamroller. Maybe Asuka needs someone to just stand up to her.

All I know is that Mari was penciled in as a rival for Asuka in 2.0. I can't shake the feeling this has been postponed rather than shelved entirely.

And I can see where folks are coming from with the 'Asuka only shown as angry and doing action stuff'. I personally think thats just a form of fanservice for the trailers rather than a general indication of what shes up to any more than its an indication that Shinji will be pootling around with albino bishonen for the whole flick.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:53 pm

my predictions. i dont think Asuka will die. why would she? she lived in the original series.( she came back to life at the end of Eoe). plus there is still that subplot about her still loving Shinji. they wont just kill her off without that being resolved.

i think Misato or someone will explain to Asuka that it wasnt shinjis fault.( she may not even know what happened).

i think something between Shinji and kaworu will happen on the moon base that might lead kawora to turn on him and Shinji will be held there hostage. and ultimately i think Asuka and mari are going to work together to save Shinji.

thats just what i think.

now if anyone is going to die i think it would be Rei.....she died in the old show.....multiple times

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:32 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:- It looks to me as if it is completely ignoring the darker implications of 2.22. Could be wrong of course. I dislike seeing characters smile (Mari, Shinji) who in my opinion have no business smiling in the wake of the tremendous destruction and would-be consequences of the last movie's third act.

It's Kaworu. Who wouldn't smile (and more) if Kaworu was coming onto you? :hahaha:

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:- I like the shot where Rei is lit creepily and looking at an odd angle towards the camera. Could it be that there will be non-moe development for this character? I can only hope.

Buzzwording much? Rebuild Rei is moe (and so is the original) but you can't describe her development as moe, whatever that would even mean. It's pretty typical storytellingwise and follows a route that the original series was headed for up to ep 6.

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:1.0 and 2.0 had mediocre-for-a-film character animation to begin with though. Of course there were notable cuts among them.

I can't help but think this was partly intentional though. Anno has never been "actor" director when it comes to anime and it's not like Rebuild would've lacked the budget (nor do I think capable staff was unavalaible for all these years) to go full Hosoda, Okiura or Ghibli as far as character animation style is considered.

What we have in Rebuild is from beginning to end close to general anime "cinematography" (I mean all the cuts, framing, character animation) than where aforementioned folks tend to aim at. In short it's in line with kind of character animation I see in any Gekijouban. Which Rebuild happens to be.

Re: 3.0's visuals overall: they're going stark in terms of coloration and linework as far as I can tell. It's not gonna be happy film.

As for 2.0/2.22 improvements I don't remember them being all THAT big generally but see for example Mari's skirt:
SPOILER: Show

What I really remember about 2.22 is the sound mix controversy.

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:But seriously, very good point and well said. Maybe if she ends up with the eyepatch off at some point and has a purple eye or who knows what for her emotional scenes... but yeah, it's a stark contrast among the portrayals so far.

I'm honestly thinking whatever dynamic Asuka is going to get beyond fucking shit up in Eva (which is all ok on its own) will have more to do with Mari than Shinji. Shinji should be pretty occupied with being Kaworu's love toy and explaining his misbehaviour for hiss Oidipal missus (teh Rei). This leaves Mari and Asuka somewhat alone to interact with each other. It would also fit in with many plans they had in this line for 2.0 so it wouldn't be at all surprising to see them recycled.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:34 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Soryu had an entire tv series of development on her side, actual character depth, and interacting with the lead that didn't involve her in an Eva blowing shit up. Shikinami doesn't have development that's convincing because of rushed pacing, weird emotional returns from the writers like the entire lead up to the Bardiel arc, and it's aftermath.

The only cuts we've seen so far have been underwhelming, one has even been RECYCLED three times.

Um. You kinda missed the point there, chief. Even with all of that Asuka was still a disposable action girl; that was kinda the point of her story from the start. The only difference between Soryu and Shikinami is that Soryu, like the audience, was tricked into thinking it wasn't so.

So I'm expecting her to be all flash and no substance this time around. If she isn't, and actually gets to do something plot-relevant, so much the better. But I'm not holding my breath.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:58 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:What I really remember about 2.22 is the sound mix controversy.

THAT threw me for a loop. It was like seeing that scene for the first time all over again.... after I thought I was already prepared for the film's ending.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:22 pm

If Misato is going to be hanging around with Asuka for Q while the rest of NERV is imprisoned, I'm guessing that's the reason Kaji is shown shouting and pointing a gun in the first trailer - he could be threatening the people who have come to arrest Misato.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:43 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Um. You kinda missed the point there, chief. Even with all of that Asuka was still a disposable action girl; that was kinda the point of her story from the start. The only difference between Soryu and Shikinami is that Soryu, like the audience, was tricked into thinking it wasn't so.

That is true. Soryu's last realization in the whole series was "Mama? Mama! MOAR FIGHTING!!! GRAAARRRGH! ERSTE!"

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:52 pm

^ this is perhaps the most simplified view of what she goes through and actually does in EoE.

Here's a few reminders:
- 'You think you can even understand me?!'
- 'I know all about your jerk off fantasies... do it again, I'll stand here and watch'
- 'If I can't have you all to myself, I don't want you at all'
- 'Anyone would be good enough, you're just scared of the others!'
- 'You were all you had and you never even learned to like yourself!'
- 'I'd rather die than be with you'
- *soft caress* 'Kimochi warui.'

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:03 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:^ this is perhaps the most simplified view of what she goes through and actually does in EoE.

Here's a few reminders:
- 'You think you can even understand me?!'
- 'I know all about your jerk off fantasies... do it again, I'll stand here and watch'
- 'If I can't have you all to myself, I don't want you at all'
- 'Anyone would be good enough, you're just scared of the others!'
- 'You were all you had and you never even learned to like yourself!'
- 'I'd rather die than be with you'
- *soft caress* 'Kimochi warui.'

All of that is just her stating the obvious. But it was never about her; she even says it "it doesn't matter who it is, anyone will do." And it's true. Why do you think she's so disgusted at the end? It isn't because she likes the guy, you can bet on that. It's because the story's all about him and she's just a side dish, and she knows it.

But hey, she shouldn't complain. At least she got a better deal than Rei. Rei kinda got even in the NME, though. We'll see if that luck holds out.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”