Official 3.0 title: You Can (Not) Redo

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:17 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:How is the "old sequel theory" more probable than a cycle? That's utter BS and doesn't make any sense at all.

So your keyboard woks correctly, I'm happy to see that. Anyway, a sequel would be more probable than recurring timelines because it's simpler and especially it's less awkward.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:23 am

And Evangelion is simple? And well yeah... it would be "simple", but it still doesnt make any sense. How would this be supposed to work?!

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:31 am

Should take this convo to here: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/6022/A-remake-or-a-sequel/80/?

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:58 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Besides the "re" prefix, the similarity is weak. "Retake" would be to get something back you've lost, where as "Redo" would be to get a second chance at an action. A comparison could be made that you can "Retake" your past by "Redoing" your actions, or that you could "Redo" the past to "Retake" something you lost in the original timeline, but I don't see how it goes much farther than that.

I dunno, the similarity is there, but I don't think it's close enough to raise eyebrows. But then again, that's from a native English speaker, so my exposure to the language is larger than Khara, which gives me a biased perspective, and thus I might be unable to judge their intentions correctly.

No, I do not mean Retake in the meaning of get something back you have lost, but the sense that a retake in filming is where you do something again and hope that you can do it better this time. It is all what the doujin ReTake is about, and so it is precisely the same as Redo -- with the meaning you put as "get a second chance at an action".

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It's because "take" also refers to an attempt to shoot a scene of a TV show or film; a "retake" is another take of the same scene. In that sense "Re-Take" and "redo" are indeed similar, but there's nothing about Re-Take's title that's specific enough for the similarity to have any real meaning to it. It could just as easily refer to the sequel theory or even just acknowledging the fact that you can't undo the things you've done no matter how much you might regret them.

Perhaps my English is not up to par, because for me there is a good similarity - in a movie a retake - a take of the same scene or sequence of scenes - is a redo of scene. And we all have heard life is just like a movie, and there is the meta level of the anime being a movie after all.

While I do not deny there can be link to sequel theory or just a simple fact that you cannot undo things, I do not see why I cannot draw a link between retake and redo as well.

Monk Ed wrote:It's not clear as daylight, if only because ... it's not like "ReTake" was a very original name in the first place. Just google "fan fiction retake" and see how many stories come up with that exact same title.

Hmm... Whether the link is clear has nothing to do with its originality, right? Besides, how many Japanese doujin have you seen with a title named "Retake"?

Perhaps there is one thing I can show that will strength my case:
In filming, a retake is called "yarinaoshi" やり直し
The Japanese translation of "redo" is also "yarinaoshi". やり直し

See?
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Seen » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:11 pm

I'm really hoping the movie won't be all Shinji-angst. Maybe it means he'll have to come to terms with the fact that everything that's happened can't be undone, and maybe that will happen within the first 30 minutes. Here's hoping Asuka will still be changed by that epiphany she had right before she got into Unit 03, and here's hoping Rei and (hopefully) Yui will meet.
Utena figures out why the duelists are dueling but what the hell kind of answers does she get? "Because I want to find the power of miracles, I'm going to chop bitches with a sword so I can get a creepy aspie girlfriend who waters roses and shit. which will grant me the power of miracles. I KNOW THIS GODDAMNIT DON'T ASK HOW" -Azathoth

tomfrom994
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby tomfrom994 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:55 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Well, if it really won't be FINAL, there's one missing line from that part of Anno's statements:

So maybe it'll be "You can (not) stand up" or something like that.

Now, I can't help but feel like FINAL will be "You Must (Not) Run Away."

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:58 pm

View Original PostSeen wrote:I'm really hoping the movie won't be all Shinji-angst.
Welcome to Evangelion.

In all seriousness, I think he'll probably just be going "WTF" during the inevitable mindfuck sequence in Unit 01. Then when he gets out he'll probably be too busy going "Oh shit what have I done? (And who's that hot piece of ass Kaworu?)" when he sees what his tantrum achieved. He'll angst though, of course. Just in time for a new angel to appear to make it all super-dramatic and make him learn whatever the moral is of this particular film.

View Original PostSeen wrote:Here's hoping Asuka will still be changed by that epiphany she had right before she got into Unit 03, and here's hoping Rei and (hopefully) Yui will meet.
Judging by the mini trailer we've seen it appears that she either just kicked Shinji into space then blew him up or she came out relatively stable and un-pissed.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:23 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Hmm... Whether the link is clear has nothing to do with its originality, right?

What I mean is, the title is so easy to come by that the likelihood it's a reference is pretty low. It's like finding a guy named Smith and assuming he might be related to that other Smith you knew back in high school. No, it's not likely, Smith is just a really common name. Likewise, words that refer to repeating something happen to be pretty common in fan-work titles, so the likelihood that a movie title which contains a synonym for 'repeat' is specifically referring to a particular fan-work seems pretty low.

Perhaps there is one thing I can show that will strength my case:

(:| I think you're reaching. If the title had been "You Can (Not) Retake" then I would think otherwise, but as it is, it's just too tenuous for me to buy. Maybe if some unambiguous borrowing from ReTake shows up in the film I'll change my tune but until then color me unconvinced.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:39 pm

What if the title "You Can (Not) Redo" is directed at Kaworu? For two movies now we've had to hear Kaworu refer to how much he's looking for to seeing Shinji again & making him happy "this time".
Just a thought.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:01 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:No, I do not mean Retake in the meaning of get something back you have lost, but the sense that a retake in filming is where you do something again and hope that you can do it better this time. It is all what the doujin ReTake is about, and so it is precisely the same as Redo -- with the meaning you put as "get a second chance at an action".

Yea I caught on after Bagheera explained it. Sorry, it just went right over my head. But is that why Retake is named that way? I never knew that.

That's actually a big deal, should have led with that!

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:What if the title "You Can (Not) Redo" is directed at Kaworu? For two movies now we've had to hear Kaworu refer to how much he's looking for to seeing Shinji again & making him happy "this time".
Just a thought.

An entire movie with Kaworu as the MC? I'd watch it.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:19 pm

An excellent piece of news to start the new year with. But for now, the waiting continues...
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:12 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Perhaps there is one thing I can show that will strength my case:

See?

I think that weakens your case, actually. Anno is surely aware of Re-Take; the fact that he chose to translate the English title of Q to "Redo" instead of "Retake" is telling IMO.

Also "redo" is more generic than "retake", so I don't think you have much to work with there. It's possible, but I don't think it's likely, let alone the obvious interpretation.

But don't take our word for it. Check the Japanese blogs and see what they think.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:56 pm

Isnt Kaworu's 'this line' a matter of conjecture as its a shaky translation? Whats the line in the original Japanese?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:10 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Whats the line in the original Japanese?
This got picked up at the time; and the sense is very close to the way it was rendered in English, including ambiguities.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:32 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:BLASPHEMER!

:flamethrower:

He shall be sent to the gulags... yes...

Hey, the more EVA the better. But I hate to wait so long haha. That said, I hope we get two great movies here.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:36 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:What I mean is, the title is so easy to come by that the likelihood it's a reference is pretty low. It's like finding a guy named Smith and assuming he might be related to that other Smith you knew back in high school. No, it's not likely, Smith is just a really common name. Likewise, words that refer to repeating something happen to be pretty common in fan-work titles, so the likelihood that a movie title which contains a synonym for 'repeat' is specifically referring to a particular fan-work seems pretty low.

My point is the title may be easy to come by in the wets, but in Japan I rarely see title with "redo" or "retake". Then you see both used in material related to the same animation series. I think that speaks volumes about possible connection (or at least related thinking).

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:(:| I think you're reaching. If the title had been "You Can (Not) Retake" then I would think otherwise, but as it is, it's just too tenuous for me to buy. Maybe if some unambiguous borrowing from ReTake shows up in the film I'll change my tune but until then color me unconvinced.

I would like to stress I am NOT advocating that 3.0 will be just like ReTake, or even it has a cycle plot line like ReTake, but I am saying the title could be a tribute to ReTake and we may see certain elements from ReTake used in ReDo. I do not believe Anno or Khara will ever publicly admit that they are lifting things from ReTake but some references in the movie may be their way to tip their hat towards ReTake as their inspiration.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I think that weakens your case, actually. Anno is surely aware of Re-Take; the fact that he chose to translate the English title of Q to "Redo" instead of "Retake" is telling IMO.

Also "redo" is more generic than "retake", so I don't think you have much to work with there. It's possible, but I don't think it's likely, let alone the obvious interpretation.

No no no... Precisely because Anno and Khara would not want to make the reference so explicit, they will definitely not call it "retake". Even before the announcement, I never thought that "retake" is a possible title for the movie. Calling it "redo" is the closest that could be to "retake".

Again I am not saying Redo will be just like Retake, but that the title may be a reference to Retake and I am hoping we can see more references to Retake in Redo.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:56 pm

Tons of products in the Evangelion franchise use a Re- prefix. Death and Re-Birth, Re-Newal of Evangelion, Re-Vival of Evangelion, now more recently Re-Build...

If anything, Re-Take is Re-Ferencing the naming scheme already used by Evangelion Re-Leases, not the other way around.

:P

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:00 pm

Maybe the title is aimed at all those who have ripped off Eva over the years. There was a line in Rebuild's original mission statement, something like "since Eva's creation, there have been no newer anime than Eva". Maybe he's criticizing the imitators. Ya hear that, Rahxephon?

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:59 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Tons of products in the Evangelion franchise use a Re- prefix. Death and Re-Birth, Re-Newal of Evangelion, Re-Vival of Evangelion, now more recently Re-Build...

If anything, Re-Take is Re-Ferencing the naming scheme already used by Evangelion Re-Leases, not the other way around.

:P

True, but none of those Re-whatever is as close in meaning between Re-take and Re-do (heck, they share the same Japanese translation!)

Re-take of course took the Re- naming scheme to heart (and I was aware of it long time back and have never denied that), but isn't it something a cross re-ference come full circle, when the next re- (redo) re-fers to this re-take doujin effort ?
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:01 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Maybe the title is aimed at all those who have ripped off Eva over the years. There was a line in Rebuild's original mission statement, something like "since Eva's creation, there have been no newer anime than Eva". Maybe he's criticizing the imitators. Ya hear that, Rahxephon?

I don't think I would agree with your interpretation of the movie title. (Although I do believe that it is chosen deliberately as an inside joke in referring to the Rebuild project itself, as a secondary or tertiary meaning. Its primary meaning will, of course, still concern the movie's main psychological themes.)

However, the point you make about the quotation would be relevant to another discussion that I'm taking part in. See the link.
http://forum.evageeks.org/post/515428/Evangelion-30-Speculation/#515428

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”