[LAEM] It's all up in the air

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:01 pm

i've seen that lame Godzilla movie, but I never knew that it was referred to as "Godzilla in Name Only", though I was aware of the name "Zilla"

thanks

Anyways...as long as someone who can do the mech action and psychological elements well signs on to do the movie, it'll probably be alright
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:02 pm

@Guyver Spawn: :shrug: I've been hearing uneven news myself. There are a few things floating around saying they have a script being worked on, but so far there's no news regarding director etc. Late-2011 release is apparently planned. Who knows?

link related: http://ifmagazine.com/new.asp?article=8393

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:10 pm

Merridian wrote:LAEM just seems like a bad idea to me. In order to do it "right" ... it'd probably have to be more than a single film--a gamble most studios aren't going to take for what should be obvious reasons--but it couldn't become a simple shot-by-shot remake (due to problems converting TV pacing --> Film pacing).

Depends. A lot of studios now are actually looking for franchise material, a.k.a. an idea/story they can buy the right to 6+ movies for, possibly make one or two of them (if the first makes money), and then just sit on the rights for the rest of the film rights until they decide it needs a reboot. I know Universal bought the rights for 6 film adaptations/sequels of Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park book, and as of now only 3 were actually made (one of which was based loosely off of Crichton's own book sequel).

They probably are not interested in sagas, though. Especially now. A saga entails a planned series of films that the studio would be committed to finishing, like The Lord of the Rings movies were. Nobody actually wants to do anything in Hollywood, they just want to fantasize about it.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:03 am

Merridian wrote:At best I'd say that LAEM is pretty much off the table until the GitS adaptation comes out, possibly after the Akira adaptation comes out as well. Reactions to these will be gauged, and if studios figure 'heck maybe LA anime shit works out' they might give this project the green light. Otherwise I doubt anything at all--never mind anything GOOD--will even come out of this.

Or, The Last Airbender could be a what the studios are going to watch to gauge anime's potential as an IP well. Yeah, it's it's an American cartoon from Nickelodeon and not real "anime," but the studio big wigs can't tell the difference. If TLA brings in big bucks, studios are going to be looking for other properties in that vein that they can adapt, and it could eventually lead to properties like Evangelion getting adapted.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 am

Timstuff wrote:Or, The Last Airbender could be a what the studios are going to watch to gauge anime's potential as an IP well. Yeah, it's it's an American cartoon from Nickelodeon and not real "anime," but the studio big wigs can't tell the difference. If TLA brings in big bucks, studios are going to be looking for other properties in that vein that they can adapt, and it could eventually lead to properties like Evangelion getting adapted.

What? Movies like Aeon Flux, Dragonball Evolution, Transformers, or Speed Racer weren't enough for Hollywood to judge?

I don't even think Hollywood big wigs realize the difference between those above mentioned films (except that Transformers made the most money of them, and I don't think a lot of otaku even consider that an anime). They just buy ideas from as many different demographics as possible so as to profit from every audience out there.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:30 pm

Merridian wrote::lol: Gurren Lagann doesn't have enough slo-mo for Snyder's hand. And if he polluted a LA adaptation of it WITH slo-mo, he'd just fuck it up. And miss the point. again.

Gurren Lagann would be pretty hard for a guy like Snyder to fuck up, imo. It's as jingoistic as 300, except for the entire human race instead of America. It has oiled-up shirtless men, hilarious bromance, tits everywhere, a considerable about of slo-mo (for an anime) and a simple FUCK YES WE ARE AWESOME LET US BE AWESOME AND KILL BAD GUYS plot.

TTGL is actually probably one of the better prospects for eventual Hollywood adaptation.

Plus, Snyder could get Gerard Butler to play Lordgenome.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:27 pm

FFF4E wrote: They probably are not interested in sagas, though. Especially now. A saga entails a planned series of films that the studio would be committed to finishing, like The Lord of the Rings movies were. Nobody actually wants to do anything in Hollywood, they just want to fantasize about it.
:) Yeah exactly. LAEM turning into franchise akin to Jurassic Park sounds awful.

Timestuff wrote: Yeah, it's it's an American cartoon from Nickelodeon and not real "anime," but the studio big wigs can't tell the difference.
I’m not sure if it matters whether they can tell the difference; newspapers, marketers, reviewers, and a decent portion of the audience can tell the difference. The GitS LA adaptation has better chance of being scrutinized in this manner than Airbender.

Azathoth wrote: Gurren Lagann would be pretty hard for a guy like Snyder to fuck up, imo. It's as jingoistic as 300, except for the entire human race instead of America. It has oiled-up shirtless men, hilarious bromance, tits everywhere, a considerable about of slo-mo (for an anime) and a simple FUCK YES WE ARE AWESOME LET US BE AWESOME AND KILL BAD GUYS plot.
:shrug: I dunno. With the amount of homage, reconstruction, and allegory for shonen attitude going on within TTGL, I figured it’d be better suited to have Tarantino on board. Snyder would make it SOLELY as a “RAWR WE’RE MANLY MEN DOING MANLY THINGS” movie, when TTGL offers quite a bit more than that. Granted, homages etc might go missed by majority of American public, but I think Tarantino’s got the skill to translate that kind of thing reasonably well. Not to mention that Tarantino’s got a sense of humor and the ability to make a work self-consciosu of itself without being obnoxious, whereas Snyder films come off as too srs for their own good. 300 was so awesome because of how ludicrously “GRAH MANLY MEN DOING MANLY THINGS SERIOUSLY” it was. TTGL could only suffer from that kind of approach. He might make it look faithful (like he did with Watchmen), but it'd be lacking all the substance that makes TTGL what it is.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:00 pm

If the movie makes money I feel like a series of movies will likely happen. I think the first movie should end with Unit 03 coming to Japan, and have the final movie based on EoE in my opinon.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote:If the movie makes money I feel like a series of movies will likely happen. I think the first movie should end with Unit 03 coming to Japan, and have the final movie based on EoE in my opinon.

I assume you mean Unit 02.

Introducing a new main character right at the end of your first movie is bad water in cinema. Unfortunately you do have to get Asuka in there somehow (introducing a new main character at the beginning of your second movie can be rather iffy, as even Rebuild shows) so she'd probably wind up just...showing up right in the middle of the introduction arc.

Asuka versus Ramiel would be a sight to behold.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:22 pm

I was talking about Bardiel (Evangelion Unit 03), and they end up the first movie with Unit 03 is about to arrive in Tokyo-3 just like in Episode 17. I think my main issue for a Eva live action movie is how can pull off a ending to the live action movie series. If we are lucky to get more then one film, then they need to end it somehow. They can always do a live action version of End of Eva, but I doubt that will work out.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:56 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote:I was talking about Bardiel (Evangelion Unit 03), and they end up the first movie with Unit 03 is about to arrive in Tokyo-3 just like in Episode 17.

Not a chance. Way too much plot and way too many Angels in there.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:44 pm

A two and half hour movie can work in my opinon. Or just a two hour movie, and a director cut on DVD.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:55 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote:If the movie makes money I feel like a series of movies will likely happen. I think the first movie should end with Unit 03 coming to Japan, and have the final movie based on EoE in my opinon.

I don't think they should try and directly remake EoE as the third film in a trilogy. First of all, I don't particularly care for EoE that much, and I think that third impact would be much better in the LA trilogy if they were to cut it down to 15-20 minutes at most, keeping the mindf***ery to levels that the audience would find tolerable (even in Japan EoE's reception was considered only average at best). I see the events of EoE as being a climax for period starting with Shinji re-emerging from his month inside Unit 01 onward, because I think that would make for a good part 3 in a 3-part series.

Also, I'd like for movie 1 to follow episodes 1-7, although with episode 7 occurring somewhere in the middle of the movie instead of after episode 6. I don't want them to try and overcondense the series, but at the same time I don't want them to undercondense, because that would make the movies drag on too long and it would feel too predictable for fans.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:35 am

I hear remarks like "I didn't care for EOE" and "Let's Americanize it" makes me think the damn thing will turn out like this dork's fancast.

[url]http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MovieTheaterLad/news/?a=14145[/url]

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:44 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:I hear remarks like "I didn't care for EOE" and "Let's Americanize it" makes me think the damn thing will turn out like this dork's fancast.

Haha! :pointlaugh: Seems as though everyone was "cast" based on their current hair cut/body posture. I love fancasts...

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:34 am

It seems like that a lot of fans want LAEM to be doing what Rebuild has been doing so far.

Aslo, Hispanic Maya and Kozo Sutherland are win.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Lucretius » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:16 am

SaltyJoe wrote:It seems like that a lot of fans want LAEM to be doing what Rebuild has been doing so far.

I would say "sucking," but that would be a cheap shot.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:43 am

SaltyJoe wrote:It seems like that a lot of fans want LAEM to be doing what Rebuild has been doing so far.

That either shows in stubbornly naive they are about LAEM, ("I want it to be like THAT!" *point* "But at the same time NOT like that...") or it just means that Rebuild is about the only thing you can do with Evangelion the second time over.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:14 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:[url]http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MovieTheaterLad/news/?a=14145[/url]
:hitthetable: I would watch this movie. DONALD SUTHERLAND & JOSH BROLIN?! YOU CAN'T GO WRONG! lmfao

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:30 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:I hear remarks like "I didn't care for EOE" and "Let's Americanize it" makes me think the damn thing will turn out like this dork's fancast.

I'm going blind from teh whiteness! :bawl:

For real though... In my LAEM treatment I did anglicize some of the characters, but no-where near the extremes of this. And I agree with the comment about them being cast based on the pose in their photo, LOL!

My ideal "white Shinji" would have been Joseph Gordon Levitt, but he's a bit too old now to be playing teenagers (especially considering that the movie is probably still a ways off, if it ever happens at all).

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”