[MANGA] [NGE] New Manga Stage Thread

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
distopia
Lilith

Postby distopia » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:42 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote: 生命の海【前編】 should be more or less translatable as Sea of Life [First Part], it's quite possible that this chapter will get merged with the next one when they'll release the next tonkabon.

I would like to mention that I've uploaded on THAT BOARD the scans from Share which are a little better looking, they could be especially useful for interested scanlators.

Thank you very much, dude! :w00:

Marzan
Adam

Postby Marzan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:34 am

Haven gotten volume 13 a few weeks ago. I re-read the whole NGE manga again after a couple of years of storage. I have to say that I remain impressed by how well it does at fleshing out the characters and delving deeper into their motivations. While we often complain about Sadamoto's snails pace, I think he can actually afford to ponder about the story he's penning more calmly than an anime production team. I don't know how much he consults with Anno before releasing, but I think Sadamoto captures Anno's original idea for NGE perfectly. Sometimes I think that it's a bit of a shame that the manga version get's a spot in "Everything Else Evangelion" folder instead of a section of its own. A question of numbers I guess.

Now I'll just calmly wait 2, 3 years for what hopefully will be the last volume.
And everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon- Roger Waters

"Timeo hominem unius libris"

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:58 pm

Ah, look, he's anatomically correct!

Other than that, fairly meh.

Someone have a translation?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:15 pm

View Original PostMarzan wrote:Sometimes I think that it's a bit of a shame that the manga version get's a spot in "Everything Else Evangelion" folder instead of a section of its own. A question of numbers I guess.

It had its own section once, at the forum's previous incarnation, EvaMonkey. It didn't generate enough discussion, and lost out when the forum was streamlined into its more-or-less current configuration.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:23 pm

View Original PostMarzan wrote:Now I'll just calmly wait 2, 3 years for what hopefully will be the last volume.

Anyone want to take bets one witch will be finished first, the manga or Rebuild?
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:05 am

^
I bet on the manga, unless Sadamoto will take a one year break or something like that.
View Original PostKendrix wrote:Ah, look, he's anatomically correct!

Are you referring to Rei on top of Shinji? Anyway it looks like we still didn't get a translation, it's not like there's really much to translate except for the endless wall of text in those two pages, the exchange between Shinji and Rei looks identical or almost identical to the one from the EoE (I'd love to have a confirmation from someone who can understand Japanese though).
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Marzan
Adam

Postby Marzan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:05 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:It had its own section once, at the forum's previous incarnation, EvaMonkey. It didn't generate enough discussion, and lost out when the forum was streamlined into its more-or-less current configuration.

I assumed something of the kind. Thank you very much for the clarification though.

Regarding the release dates of the films and the manga, since the Rebuild films are taking on average 2 to 3 years between release, I'm taking a wild guess and say that Sadamoto will beat the films by a couple of months. So sometime in 2014.
And everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon- Roger Waters

"Timeo hominem unius libris"

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby deeRez » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:03 pm

View Original PostMarzan wrote:but I think Sadamoto captures Anno's original idea for NGE perfectly

Most of the critical aspects of Evangelion were Sadamoto's idea. If Anno was left to his own devices the show would have become nothing what makes it so great. Look at Gunbuster 1 - which is what Evangelion would have been, another chicks-in-mechs show if it were not for Sadamoto - did Gunbuster 1 even make a blip in the west? Nope.

Anyways, I feel that Rebuild 4.0 will finish first, followed by Sadamoto's manga having the last say.
In and of itself, self-evident.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:20 pm

View Original PostdeeRez wrote:Most of the critical aspects of Evangelion were Sadamoto's idea. If Anno was left to his own devices the show would have become nothing what makes it so great. (snip)

Evangelion was a collaborative project, and its "greatness" is an emergent property of all of the talents and efforts that went into it. Sadamoto doesn't seem to be writing the manga for the sake of "marking his territory", so it's kind of weird that Eva manga fans often make it a point to do all sorts of pissing on his behalf. (I'm not going to say the NGE-anime fans are necessarily better, what with the common tendency to talk about Anno using auteur shorthand, as if he were the only person involved in NGE who actually mattered at all.)

If you like the manga better, and think it encapsulates "Eva" for you, great. If other people like the anime series better, and that is "Eva" for them, then that should also be great.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:37 am

If the pattern for Volume 13 and Eva Q carry over (both were released in Japan in November 2012), Volume 14 (Final Volume, I'd assume?) should be released the same month Eva Final premieres in Japanese theaters...if Eva Final is still released next year, I guess?

Not gonna attempt wall of text, but here:

Stage 93 Scan pages translation wrote:Cover page text says "The time of humanity becoming one" across from Stage title ("Sea of Life [First Part]", as previously mentioned by Shinchan).

Page 128

Shinji: Ayanami...

Page 130

Shinji: Where is this?

Rei: This is the LCL Sea.

Rei: [We're within] the sea of the source of life.

Continued in February Issue
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

R334
Embryo

Postby R334 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:12 pm

Stage.93 - 2:

SPOILER: Show
- Shinji talks with Rei/Lilith.
- Despite his clothes disappearing, Misato's cross is still with Shinji (he's holding it in his hand).
- Yay. Nipples. *yawn*
- Some discussion, with mention of AT Field.
- Rei!Lilith and Shinji sit up, breaking the formerly intimate contact.
- Flashback to when Yui was still alive (more specifically, the scene at the beginning of Stage.91).
- See ya next month.

Still enjoying my indefinite hiatus from raw-hunting, so I haven't uploaded the raw at you-know-where. My previous offer (cf. my post for ch.93) still stands, though.

EDIT: noticed it while zipping the scans for archival - the title is "Stage.93", followed by what I assume to be "Sea of Life (second part)." So, I made a mistake while submitting this post a couple minutes ago: the newest chapter is not Stage.94, it's the second part of Stage.93.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:27 am

Thanks again for the reminder, yesterday I tried to search for the scans but I couldn't find anything, today I eventually found them after trying various keywords. I've uploaded the scans on THAT BOARD for everyone else.

About this last chapter, I think that you forgot to mention that Sadamoto still remembers the good old days when he shipped ReixShinji like any good otaku:
SPOILER: Show

*insert my surprised face*

Anyway it looks like Shinji rejected Instrumentality like in the old film, there could be some interesting lines related to that scene though, so I'm really looking forward to a translation.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

distopia
Lilith

Postby distopia » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:49 am

i really like these little diversions. i know that tv & eoe are better, but i think sadamanga is still enjoyable...

edit: 80 pages ready, so 4 more stages and we'll have tankobon #14

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:19 am

Some original content dialogue-wise mixed in with EoE, I wrote a synopsis below. Sorry if the summary sounds weird, making a synopsis out of just dialogue is a little confusing.

Stage 93 part 2  SPOILER: Show
In this Stage, Shinji wonders if he's dead, Rei explains he's not, just everything joined as one.

Rei goes onto say how LCL Sea is the world Shinji wished for and it's a world of happiness because various negative things have disappeared (no more sadness, loneliness, pain, etc, etc).

Shinji mentions that it's wrong and it's not happiness (close up of Misato's cross as he says there's nothing to return home to and there are no good things either). Shinji: "There's nobody here. It's the same as being dead."

Rei discusses (EoE Kaworu's lines too, I think) how if the A.T. Fields return, people's hearts will be closed off and they'll feel fear again. Shinji says that's alright because people can never fully understand each other, like him and Gendo.

Shinji wanted to confirm if that (not being able to understand each other) was the case. But he thinks--even for one moment--his heart went back and forth during "that time" (talking with Rei after Eva-01 salvage).

"Ikari-kun..."

"I wanted to make sure, so what is my hand for? What am I here for?"

Rest of Yui's words from the flashback is shown:

"Shinji... Don't forget this. Let's make a promise together. If something were to happen after this, for the happiness of people throughout the world, you will protect them."

Yui and little Shinji pinkyswear, Yui smiling.

Continued in March Issue

Jeez, Manga Rei almost sounds like she wants Instrumentality compared to EoE Rei. O_o
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

distopia
Lilith

Postby distopia » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:36 am

sadamoto is going fast, and evangelion: final seems so far away...

i have some weird ideas about sadamanga:

a) tankobon 14 will be the last one, it will be published in 2013 and
--- a1) eva: final will be out in 2013
--- a2) eva: final will be out in 2015 or something...

b) there will be tankobon 15 and
--- b1) we'll know what happened after EoE's "i feel sick" (eva final in 2015)
--- b2) tankobon 15 will be a connection between EoE and Rebuild (if Rebuild=loop/sequel thoery is true + eva final in 2015)

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:33 pm

Just as it seems like Shinji just randomly decided to go through with it after he'd just saved Asuka's backside, now it looks like he's deciding to undo it for equally random lol flashback scenes.

Oh, and random R/S, but I can't even be happy about it because it feels well, random. That's probably Sadamoto's idea of doing that "Rei represents hope of understanding" thing?

Dunno, it sorta feels rushed without the life action scene in-between.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:58 pm

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:02 pm

I remember other places seeing some people complain about how clearly Sadamoto was going to do a Shinji/Rei end, and how aweful it was going to be that Asuka gets screwed over again in favor of Rei. Now I figure we've still got a good chance to see Shinji and Asuka on the beach, and Rei still bieng gone, and I have wonder what they were bitching abut. And this time less strangleing.

But bottom line is Shinji/Rei never happens in the end.

I suppose I should go back to reading the Manga.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:08 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:But bottom line is Shinji/Rei never happens in the end.

...and that is why we have doujinshi. You can have our cake, eat it, and bake another one. I'm rather sure there are doujinshi for every possible NGE ending, so, even if you didn't get the ending you wanted canonically, you can still get it externally. Retake is an example, if you wanted a happy Shinji/Asuka ending (with a happy ending for Rei, as well), you can get it.

Or maybe, they just exist for, you know :fap:

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Lavinius » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:57 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:...and that is why we have doujinshi. You can have our cake, eat it, and bake another one. I'm rather sure there are doujinshi for every possible NGE ending, so, even if you didn't get the ending you wanted canonically, you can still get it externally. Retake is an example, if you wanted a happy Shinji/Asuka ending (with a happy ending for Rei, as well), you can get it.

Is there one where Seele wins? I've never seen that, and it's included even by a non-literal reading of 'every possible ending'.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”