Last Eva Manga Volume Features New Character

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:55 pm

Picked up my copy today. Haven't read any translations but I know who redacted is. I lol'd at
SPOILER: Show
the styling scene.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

painocus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby painocus » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:14 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:
I hope not, one clone is enough for me. IMO, "clone ex machina" is so lazy I would be very disappointed with Anno. And a clone with the memories of the original and never grows?? Too lazy IMO, too Deux ex machina, I expect something more than your usual SyFy channel movie.

Curse of EVA + Rei's memory transfer technology = "a clone with the memories of the original and never grows." It is not an deus ex machina when all the elements required are already established.

Although aren't "Mari is a clone" and "Mari never grows old" two different theories?

View Original PostJäeger wrote:(and no, clones grow up, even faster than original...talking about MGS4).

How does MGS4 have any authority over how clones work in Evangelion? In reality clones grow at the same rate as what they are cloned from, which is what they appear to do in Evangelion too.

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:
There's still her saying "Gendou-kun" to explain, though.

Well, she could have picked it up from her mom.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:53 pm

I'm not sure that's quite how honorifics usage works...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:15 pm

Maybe the honorific is just here to show that she's a rebel that doesn't follow conventions. Who's to say she doesn't call Vice-Captain Akagi "Rits-chan" or Maya "Maya-chan"?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

painocus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby painocus » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:52 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I'm not sure that's quite how honorifics usage works...

When intentionally mimicking it can be. I remember seeing something like this somewhere:
Z: "Hi, I am [family name]?"
X: "Do I know you?"
Z: "Haven't Y told you about me?"
X: "Oh yeah! Z-kun!"

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:51 am

Oh shit lol Funny idea because I brought up sibling idea

What if Mari is actually a clone of Kyoko and Yui? She does have features of both.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:21 am

^
Who the hell would do something like that, and why the hell would they do something like that?
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:38 am

^NERV had a pre-saving yui party and got REALLY drunk before messing with the cloning vats
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:52 am

I just wanted to add my little opinion in here. So what if Mari was the person they used to experiment the effects of LCL on humans, that would explain why she has the curse without piloting an Evangelion.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:28 am

^
Except that it's hinted that it's reaching a certain plug depth with the Eva that "curses" the pilot (hence Ritsuko repeating that the pilots risk to lose their humanity when they dive too far), not simply being in contact with LCL, or else Ritsuko would be immortal since she regularly dives in pools of LCL for the Eva maintenance and reparations.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:39 am

^

The one fact I seem to have forgotten, thanks El. Maybe I'm on the right track or something idk, but it would need to be Shin that clears up the Curse of Eva and if it turns out that Mari's backstory in the Manga is canon in NTE(with minor changes I would imagine) then it would need to be added on as to what happened to Mari that she doesn't age like Asuka, and presumably Rei... Shinji is out of this one because he was gone for 14 years.

If the backstory presented doesn't fall in line with NTE then I could imagine that when Mari achieved a high sync rate with Unit-02 at the end of Ha could have something to do with it, but I think it would need to be something more, and after the fact that Asuka would need to do the same thing later in-between the 14 years.(Even then is going into Unit-02 beast mode even achieving a high sync rate?)

Oh 3.0 and your Mysteries!
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:42 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:^
Except that it's hinted that it's reaching a certain plug depth with the Eva that "curses" the pilot

It's not as much hinted at as it's beaten into the viewer over and over and over.

http://i.minus.com/ibxyMWQmHR3ns7.jpg

Either way we can't make any assumption as to the relevance of the extra manga chapter to ENT continuity until ENT actually tells us what's going on.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

artesox
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby artesox » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:39 am

I just find the idea of this being completely unrelated to Rebuild!Mari silly, specially considering the character never had any sort of backstory before. Furthermore, there are still the hints we had in Q and even in 2.0 (I think I already mentioned, but Anno himself said the character doing some "old person" stuff and singing old songs is intentional)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:54 am

^
She already had a backstory in ANIMA... as a genetically engineered 6 years old American cat girl! :tongue:
Which for me means that Mari's backstory is adapted to the story she's in, and that any backstory in one universe isn't necessarily an indication of what her backstory is in another universe.

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:It's not as much hinted at as it's beaten into the viewer over and over and over.

http://i.minus.com/ibxyMWQmHR3ns7.jpg

Lol at the image of Shinji! :lol:

artesox
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby artesox » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:20 pm

I think the nature of Sadamoto's manga is pretty different to Anima, but whatever, we are too much in the dark anyway, hopefully we will have an answer by 3+1

mirakodus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mirakodus » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:39 am

On the web i found a note like this on the end of vol 14:

I didn't saw it on my edition of the manga. Can someone confirm it's an actual Sadamoto note, couse it seems that way - taking the amount of details into considaration. Maybe its from some kind of interview?
"Fate of destruction is also the joy of the rebirth"

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:46 am

^
Probably just a fan theory, all this confirms for me is that mari is just, even a little bit gay :tongue: asumari has more validity now
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:21 pm

Just a little heads up for anybody interested: The Extra Stage title is "Summer Color(s) of Eden". I didn't see "colors" written when I did that translated summary. -o-;
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Oedipusfoot » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:10 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Just a little heads up for anybody interested: The Extra Stage title is "Summer Color(s) of Eden". I didn't see "colors" written when I did that translated summary. -o-;

Actually I think it's "The Eden of Summer Colors" but when the translation was being done I...goofed.

garfy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby garfy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:33 am

View Original Postmirakodus wrote:On the web i found a note like this on the end of vol 14:

I didn't saw it on my edition of the manga. Can someone confirm it's an actual Sadamoto note, couse it seems that way - taking the amount of details into considaration. Maybe its from some kind of interview?
it's fanmade, sadamoto hasn't said anything about it; and it would be weird if he ever do; since when evangelion needed official interpretation?
No signature

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”