Need help in deciding to buy the Sharp NERV edition SH-06D

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
LukeG
Embryo

Need help in deciding to buy the Sharp NERV edition SH-06D

•      
  •      

Postby LukeG » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:22 am

So I've decided to buy a new phone and while going through the different android phones on the market I accidentally found the NERV SH-06D. Researching about the phone I found that its limited edition and it has a custom UI with lots of different special features, also I found that its costly to buy £437 ($700) Problem I'm facing is whether or not to buy it. I see this really badass Phone which makes a big fan of the series like me to really want it but on the other hand it is a bit over priced, I know its limited edition and all that but the specs of the phone seem outdated today and the price I'm paying I could buy a higher end phone. While all this may seem like a good reason to not buy it, I still really want it and stuck between going with this one and feeling happy that I've got something Eva themed or going with just a normal android phone. (The Phone is Unlocked)

Are the specs of the Phone still good enough for the years to come?
And what do you think I should do?
Lastly is Android 4.0 good enough to stick with for a couple of years?

(Just in case you haven't heard of the phone here some links)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxYgIK3pfko

Phone Specs
http://gadgetauto.com/sharp-sh-06d-nerv-specifications.html

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:48 am

My advice : don't waste $700 in an outdated phone just because it have a NERV logo and a Eva-themed UI.
Use that money to buy a good phone, then search the Internet to buy a NERV themed phone shell and download a custom NERV-themed UI, I'm sure there are plenty of them somewhere.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

LukeG
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LukeG » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:37 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:My advice : don't waste $700 in an outdated phone just because it have a NERV logo and a Eva-themed UI.
Use that money to buy a good phone, then search the Internet to buy a NERV themed phone shell and download a custom NERV-themed UI, I'm sure there are plenty of them somewhere.

Good point but there are no themed UI's which have the same animations and unique feel which this Phones does. If you know any which are similar please post them. :3 Its just the little things the phone can do which makes it stand out to the rest but you are right about being a hell a lot better phones on the market for similar prices.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:25 am

You didn't mention the language, can be switched to English or is the whole thing Japanese only? Just got a smartphone myself so I'm not familiar with this model. I went with a Galaxy S3 that is $20 after rebate and that is coming from an Eva nut.

You could also find it cheaper and pricier on Yahoo Japan Auctions (here's a translated version) and get it from there. If you really really want to still get it and need some help doing so from Japan, there are deputy services that will handle that since most Japanese websites/sellers won't ship overseas. I also know someone who has helped me get stuff from YJA and the Evastore I can put you in touch with.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Stikuru
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stikuru » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:36 pm

Well, I've been pretty happy with it so far. Granted i bought it purely because i'm a fan of the series and already had the previous Evangelion Sharp phone as well, so I wasn't trying to buy some top of the line phone for personal use to begin with.

I've really enjoyed the 3d display on the phone, and getting to watch an Evangelion trailer in 3D was exciting, I can only imagine how great the series would be if it would have all been done in 3D like the video on the phone.

Some drawbacks to the phone are that the tv function of it doesn't really work outside of Japan of course, and the sound quality could be a lot better. The sound could easily be fixed by hooking up something externally of course though.

Oh, another little pet peeve is the chrome backing. It doesn't look good at all, and fingerprints show up on it like crazy. I just stick with the other cover that is provided with it.

I can't really speak for the service or reliability of the phone because I do not use it as an actual phone at all. All i can say is that i've put a prepaid card in it before and have sent a text to myself using it. And in answer to the other question from AR-99, the phone has both Japanese and english settings, and the English is all pretty great throughout.

So i guess in summary all I can say is that i've personally loved having the phone, but that my purpose for owning the phone is probably different than what you want to use it for. You might want to consider something different, and like someone else said just get a UI and custom skin/backing/faceplate/whatever.

LukeG
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LukeG » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:29 pm

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm going to go with the Nexus 5 as getting the NERV SH-06D just as a normal phone is not worth it for me really when I think about it. Unless you're a collector then go for it. I can download the system files from a site in China which contains all the features but the problem is risking a Phone by playing around with its system files and waiting over a day for a 500mb file with 5kb download speed (Why I mentioned where the site is from)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:49 am

DeeRez bought one and posted a bit about it here: http://forum.evageeks.org/post/552742/The-Gainax-Cash-Cow-or-Why-The-F-and-Did-I-Buy-That/#552742

May find it useful if you're thinking about importing one.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”