[Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Bucky 0 Har3
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bucky 0 Har3 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:01 am

Now see that is how the eyes for the previous revo unit 8's should have been done they pop so much and look very sexy. The figure is really enticing but it all depends on price if it popss up on eBay in the coming days.
Man can't live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise..

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:07 pm

I insist, search Mandarake, it will be far cheaper than anything Evilbay has to offer...

Also, the eyes of the Unit-08 side could be simply a nice angle with good ligth... In some of the pics they look dark, unlike the painted ones of the Eva-02 side...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Bucky 0 Har3
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bucky 0 Har3 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:34 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:I insist, search Mandarake, it will be far cheaper than anything Evilbay has to offer...

Also, the eyes of the Unit-08 side could be simply a nice angle with good ligth... In some of the pics they look dark, unlike the painted ones of the Eva-02 side...

I was looking earlier after your last comment but have only found it on the evastorebsite for 4952 yen which is about 30 pound so dirt cheap for a new Eva :) but I can't order it as I can't read janpenses :(

I love eBay though I got all my Eva stuff off there and all for under 40 pound with no custom charges so its great, fingers crossed it pops up soonish.

In saying about the eyes on the 08 side it's just that being painted plastic they pop more that the clear dark green plastic that was used on revo 134(08a) & 139(08b) so I don't understand why it's done lovely here and not on the previous figures :/
Man can't live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise..

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:03 pm

View Original PostBucky 0 Har3 wrote:In saying about the eyes on the 08 side it's just that being painted plastic they pop more that the clear dark green plastic that was used on revo 134(08a) & 139(08b) so I don't understand why it's done lovely here and not on the previous figures :/

Maybe because it was anounced from the beginning that 8+2 would be a special limited edition, so they could have been more cautious with the details than for 08a&b, which are for a broader market.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:03 pm

http://curieux.blog40.fc2.com/blog-entry-3.html
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:27 pm

View Original PostBucky 0 Har3 wrote:In saying about the eyes on the 08 side it's just that being painted plastic they pop more that the clear dark green plastic that was used on revo 134(08a) & 139(08b) so I don't understand why it's done lovely here and not on the previous figures :/

Ohhh, you're right! The eyes are painted! :D
Indeed it had been a persistent question since Eva-08... I wonder too why they didn't do so since the beginning :huh:

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:59 pm

This thing is ugly, an abomination and deserves to die.

:pout:

Still, that Magorox...
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:07 am

What's the consensus on the Unit 01 Riobot figure? It certainly looks nice (loving the hexagon effect on the green parts) but I've heard it's fragile and also quite expensive. Also, they only made Unit 01 if I recall correctly.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:11 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:What's the consensus on the Unit 01 Riobot figure? It certainly looks nice (loving the hexagon effect on the green parts) but I've heard it's fragile and also quite expensive. Also, they only made Unit 01 if I recall correctly.

unit 2 is already announced with a release in april i believe ? where did you heard about the fragilty ? was it any review ?
ANATA BAKA !?

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:18 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:unit 2 is already announced with a release in april i believe ? where did you heard about the fragilty ? was it any review ?

A CollectionDX review IIRC.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:26 am

Speaking of the Riobot line, I want their Tsugumori piece so badly!
http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/2013/riobot_creation_tsugumori

Review is also almost impeccably written and beautifully worded until the author comes off the rails with "goddamn". And even though he admits it up front, you can especially tell he hasn't read KOS manga by way of how he's posing the unit.

:hahaha:

Upon second thought; pretty sure the Tsugumori just had a Kotobukiya kit release as well that's probably more cost effective.
Time to investigate, I think.

Edit: Ayep - Here it is.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:30 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:A CollectionDX review IIRC.

oh sorry man, i completely mistook subject, Riobot has not announced anything else related to eva. i was thinking kotobukya model kit o eva 02.
ANATA BAKA !?

Karex_Usyrion
Adam

All Power To The AAA Wunder

•      
  •      

Postby Karex_Usyrion » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:33 am

There were several posting announcing the AAA Wunder kit (for example http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-05-06/evangelion-3.0-aaa-wunder-inspires-garage-kit ) but no one actually followed through in this forum. I understand why. Here's my finished AAA Wunder with comments and observations about the AAA Wunder, the model and the Evangelion collectibles market. Foremost, I want to ascertain that the power of the AAA Wunder is in the wings.

The first question is what is it? Philip K. Dick gave guidance that reality is what remains after you had stripped away everything you could. There are two that remain with everything stripped away. The first is a White Dragon. The second is a Nazca ThunderBird. The AAA Wunder is a hybrid craft using mainstream, alien reverse-engineering and angelic technologies. Although it has the external appearance of stiff dead bone, the craft is based on a 're-vivified' synthetic cyborg White Dragon / Nazca ThunderBird. The AAA Wunder has two power systems. The first power system employs Q EVA01 as a power source for the angelic technologies (including ATF, ATF propulsion, Halo tech) while the second power system circulates plasma employing energy pumps and converting between different energy forms, potential energy, high-energy particles and matter density by leveraging a massive flywheel. The significant proportion of the energy is used for counter-rotating plasma, magnetic and electric fields in toroidal vortex based anti-gravity technology. The `holes' in the `head' are concave anti-gravity wave cavities. The anti-gravity is alien reverse-engineered tech with the `holes' similar to those that have been seen on the TR-3B Astra. The AAA Wunder is of a colossal size which is not easily grasped : the model, in fact, is a mere 1:3551 scale and this brings to notice the cannons and the 3 transceiver dishes. AAA Wunder cannon barrels are each over 200 feet long: the largest cannons ever Krupp's K5 series in WWII were 71 feet long. AAA Wunder transceiver dishes are each over 240 feet diameter: the Arecibo Observatory is 1000 feet diameter.

The name of the AAA Wunder actually refers more closely to what it is found to be in Hermetic practice. It is an Ark for the Apocalypse: "But there will be a new ark riding on that fire and I hold the keys and I open the door, and I decide who goes in and who doesn't". The power of the AAA Wunder is in the wings: this is why the attack against it was to the wings (stigmata) and it is the reason why it almost crashed, but did not, hitting into the ground wing first. The AAA Wunder is the theme which carries the positive hope and the positive energy in Q and forward for the Rebuild, it is of value so much Above&Beyond Shikinami-Shinji shippers who really need to give up, they are so out of line, they have nothing. It is the wings of the AAA Wunder that look coolest on the model.

The second question is if the costs, time and effort to build this model are worthwhile. For the average Evangelion fan, I have to say that the answer is No. Take a common reference skill framework such as Revell's. Although it should be a skill level 2 or 3 (e.g. 1:48 B-29 SuperFortress), there are 3 details that make this model a skill level 4 or 5 (more difficult than the 1:32 Sea Lynx helicopter which is 5):

1. No instructions. I've played the Q DVD from 30:46 to 34:53 over a hundred times. Maybe printing more screen captures would help.

2. There is specialized knowledge required for the wings. If you have made enough 1:18 and 1:32 aircraft you will have at some point seen the techniques ilustrated for an angled wingspan (common for several WWII combat aircraft). If you have advanced woodworking you will probably also have references. If you don't the greater probability is that you'll do it wrong, that your wings will sag. Next you will try brute force with so much glue that it'll be more glue mass than model and even then in due time the angles won't hold.

3. The color scheme. This craft has a crazy color scheme but that fits with Q : it is, after all, the near apocalypse / post-apocalypse. Nevertheless, lacking the color scheme will be enough for many to abandon the project once they find out what it takes to work it out. Here's my color scheme, don't ever say I gave nothing: tamiya flat white XF-2, tamiya white X-2, tamiya sky grey XF-19, tamiya neutral gray XF-53, modelmaster 1730 flat gull grey, modelmaster 4762 light ghost grey, liquitex medium magenta, liquitex mexican pink, tamiya XF-23 light blue, tamiya XF-8 flat blue, tamiya X-23 clear blue, testor 1169 flat yellow, testor 1115 amber metallic yellow, tamiya black X-1, tamiya SMG black X-18, testor 1103 bright red, testor 1529 metallic red. Use grey primer (just do it or you'll regret it). Get the right base from the beginning: a single point steel core stand might work for display but those are only for use once completed.

Is it worthwhile for the expert modeller? I have to say that the answer is No. Ultimately, time is the limited resource. There are too many other more important and exciting developments in high end models to be engaged with the AAA Wunder or anything Evangelion. There is next to zero brand recognition for Evangelion. A retailer last week told me that Shinji Ikari Rising Project sells more than anything else from Rebuild or other Evangelion. Meanwhile, collectors in Macau and Singapore are in waiting lists paying up to $4000 USD for commissioned 1:35 and 1:48 Mechas (such as g-system projects). Even for Star Trek..top brand recognition: the clear enterprise 1701-D Round 2 AMT model is routinely sold out because it looks awesome lit up with 150-200 color mini LEDs. As a modeller I aim for these and others. It would take a 1:350 scale lighted AAA Wunder with working cannons to really make for a show but that would be over 15 feet long 12 feet wide and it would be difficult to display.

Was it worthwhile for me? I don't know yet, that depends on whether I do manage to sell this one at the right price. In terms of the Evangelion collectibles market, on the one hand high quality AAA Wunder finished models are scarce. On the other hand, it is not as sought after as those that have become the higher priced in-demand Evangelion collectibles which are the Asuka life-sized dolls, the Asuka PVC Max Factory figures, the Asuka Dakimakura, the Mari, Asuka and Rei racing queen figures... (is it me or is an adult trend developing?) If it doesn't sell in some months I'll keep lowering the price, but I won't sell it below a certain price. Anyone who knows about modelling in Japan and models from Japanese sources finds out that it all flows from BattleShip Yamato, which is the pinnacle: I recommend the Tamiya 1:350 BattleShip Yamato. The cannons of the AAA Wunder carry this legacy forward well. A certain type of Evangelion fan will find it worthwhile to purchase the finished model of the AAA Wunder: the intelligentsia of Evangelion fans, the renaissance ecclectic techno-mystic mentats, like there were before when EoE was showing on the big screen, they seem to have moved on. It certainly isn't the `hardcore Evangelion fan' which it seems to me instead refers more every day now to the negative types in this forum engaged as bullies being allowed to continue accumulating thread bans, bent on foisting their views unto others, even in insulting ways, or bent on achieving higher numbers of postings, posting night and day non-stop with low-contribution null-value content...screw that..

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:19 am

^I'm not really sure if this is meant to be an analysis of the Wunder itself, or what could be discerned from its plastic model...either way that's a pretty impressive analysis.

But where is the stuff about the White Dragon, how the Wunder flies and the purpose of the holes in the head coming from? Because we never really learnt anything about the Wunder in the film, and I don't think there's been a CRC released to give us any official terminology on it.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:41 pm

I find those color choices very disagreeable. It shouldn't be that pink and magenta is wrong too. They're way too bright and vibrant. The Wunder's colors are all subdued.

If anything the faded reds of the Wunder are a very close match for the usual Char Custom color schemes so I would instead recommend those to people. Using those as a starting point you can lighten and darken into the additional shade of the color needed. Far better option than straight pink.

SPOILER: Show

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:57 pm

Just what the hell was about the last paragraph? :huh:
And since when are there angelic and alien technologies in Evangelion?

Sounds like one of those guys who likes to sell merchandise at obscene prices on Ebay...

Karex_Usyrion
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Karex_Usyrion » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:29 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:^I'm not really sure if this is meant to be an analysis of the Wunder itself, or what could be discerned from its plastic model...But where is the stuff about the White Dragon, how the Wunder flies and the purpose of the holes in the head coming from? Because we never really learnt anything about the Wunder in the film, and I don't think there's been a CRC released to give us any official terminology on it.

It's not plastic... It's resin... We all know that there's nothing official: you're free to say the Wunder is an anteater and your speculation will be as much speculation as mine. There are signs and suggestive clues and there's research, though, that are reasonable or not and thus supportive or not. Ever heard of live and let live?

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:I find those color choices very disagreeable. It shouldn't be that pink and magenta is wrong too. They're way too bright and vibrant. The Wunder's colors are all subdued.

If anything the faded reds of the Wunder are a very close match for the usual Char Custom color schemes so I would instead recommend those to people. Using those as a starting point you can lighten and darken into the additional shade of the color needed. Far better option than straight pink.

The colors are a match, even if you disagree. The Char colors you reference can be matched for some of the areas with the areas that have reds, but use a pantone matching system and methodology with the Q BlueRay and you will be lacking ; there's several areas where you do need a kind of `pink'. There was a Vallejo light salmon which was as close a match as the liquitex but the trial on the resin material with primer was inferior. I was careful to include the manufacturer and product number with the color scheme I posted because the names can be misleading, for example mexican pink sounds like it doesn't match but it does from that manufacturer. It is possible sometimes to discard the source / original color scheme and come up with your own and this is how some awesome customizations, some even better than the original, have come about but on the other side of the coin many collectors want veracity and adhering to the sources and they'll insist for the colors just like on the screen.

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Just what the hell was about the last paragraph? :huh:
And since when are there angelic and alien technologies in Evangelion?

Sounds like one of those guys who likes to sell merchandise at obscene prices on Ebay...

I can't tell what flips you from the last paragraph; it answers if the project was worthwhile for me, subjective answer. Angelic technologies, hello? This is Evangelion with Angels : http://wiki.evageeks.org/Angels_%28Portal%29 and for the alien part see above regarding my view on speculation, hope that answers. As for Ebay, I've never had to offer for sale anything on it, there's stores and buyers waiting in line with commision offers for me. I do track Ebay for Evangelion merchandise, btw, and if you did you'd know that if anything you can find better more reasonable prices on it - maybe you were trying to say Amazon ?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:12 pm

View Original PostKarex_Usyrion wrote: The colors are a match, even if you disagree.

Your pictures speak for themselves. The colors are anything but a match.

The colors you used make the Wunder look like something out of very early digipaint anime where people picked the most ridiculously oversaturated colors just because the technology allowed it. The pink you picked is way too vibrant. Even Mari's plugsuit and Eva are more subtle.

There's absolutely no reason to settle for what's available in a bottle. You can always mix your colors for better results. Recommending straight from the bottle stuff only works for military kits which have a long history of standardized colors from real world militaries. Wunder is nothing like that and demands mixing your own colors.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:36 pm

Ohhh! The model it's yours Karex_Usyrion! :lol:

Anyways, by the "last paragraph" I meant the rant of:
SPOILER: Show
"It certainly isn't the `hardcore Evangelion fan' which it seems to me instead refers more every day now to the negative types in this forum engaged as bullies being allowed to continue accumulating thread bans, bent on foisting their views unto others, even in insulting ways, or bent on achieving higher numbers of postings, posting night and day non-stop with low-contribution null-value content...screw that.."

That lost me...

And aren't alien and angel technologies the same in Evangelion?

Karex_Usyrion
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Karex_Usyrion » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:37 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:
The pink you picked is way too vibrant. Even Mari's plugsuit and Eva are more subtle.

You seem limited in your experience with as many different `pink' and `magenta' as there are; there are way more livid shades some with names like `hot pink' and `phosphorescent pink'. I'm very confident as I kept documentation in the project that the choices made and the reasons for them are the best fit given the initial limitations and characteristics of the garage kit.

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:There's absolutely no reason to settle for what's available in a bottle. You can always mix your colors for better results. Recommending straight from the bottle stuff only works for military kits which have a long history of standardized colors from real world militaries. Wunder is nothing like that and demands mixing your own colors.

You've misinterpreted the provided color scheme : it is from where to start and what with, what you can do with to have in hand and you venture with slander that I recommended using straight from the bottle. I never did: worst luck to you, demonstrate your better expertise when you can post photos for your own AAA Wunder model project.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”