[Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:44 pm

I don't care if it's 44cm long. Doing a solid tail instead of proper ribs and charging 18,000 yen is criminal.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Bucky 0 Har3
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bucky 0 Har3 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:51 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:I don't care if it's 44cm long. Doing a solid tail instead of proper ribs and charging 18,000 yen is criminal.

Agreed.
Even the small one I have made a better attempt at the ribs than this.
Man can't live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise..

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Indeed...
I hope Revoltech makes one :irked:
I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a model...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:52 pm

A Revoltech is the last thing the Wunder needs. It has no moving parts other than the turrets and spread out feathers. That completely kills the main selling point of Revoltech = dynamic posting. The Wunder also has a very intricate and detailed paint scheme and Revoltechs don't do that.

What the Wunder needs is a plastic injection kit. That process makes the ribcage very workable. Kotobukiya might make one eventually put it will probably be a bit small and ovepriced.

Honestly at this point scratch building is the only option if you want a proper Wunder...

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:56 pm

But it will be more accessible that a kit!
I have no skills for that!
Besides, Revoltech has made figures with little to no articulation...

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:59 pm

The tail is so wrong! There are no ribs! DO NOT WANT!
Last edited by Rei IV on Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bucky 0 Har3
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bucky 0 Har3 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:20 pm

Well revoltech did make a tumbler for batman and I think they are doing a bat from TDKR and they both have very little moving parts so they might make a Wunder AAA, but I won't hold my breath lol

I take it that it'll be wonder fest in feb before they show of any new revos whatever they may be, Eva or otherwise?
Last edited by Bucky 0 Har3 on Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man can't live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise..

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:47 pm

I'd say so... Since the next Revo will be until April I think it's only logical they will showcase any new figures in the festival...

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:10 am

View Original PostBucky 0 Har3 wrote:Pics of the Wunder AAA garage kit in all it's glory. http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-2753.html

Looks pretty damn sweet, but it might just be me as the wings look a tad small for the length of the body :/ other than that it looks super. Just wish you didn't have to paint it as I'm no good at that :(

Comparing with the 3.33 booklet, the length of the wing seems correct, but they should be slightly broader.

No the big problems come from the whole rear area behind the reactor engines : the scale is smaller than for the front area, like the whole rear was made for another Wunder figure of a smaller scale, because everything is too small : the rear helm, the heliport(especially the heliport, which in the movie is supposed to be big enough to have EVA-02's torso and a curled up EVA-08, but here is barely big enough to have an Eva's helmet on it), and the tail is too short, it should be at least 50% longer.

I understand that due to its design and proportions making a figurine or garage kit of it is a whole challenge(seriously, in the movie the fact it was at sea was probably the only thing that prevented it to crumble under its own weight before receiving EVA-01 and its magic AT Field powers), but if you start making one, try to make the whole thing at scale, else do it smaller.
A shame, because all the front area is really good.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Comparing with images of the AAA Wunder as seen in the movie, it seems the model itself is missing some key details as well. Like things that carry/hold the Evas.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:33 pm

???

That hangars are on the model. They're the two-tone grey cylinders.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:37 pm

^
You mean the Two Eva Cages? They are here, it's the two gray cylinders on each side of the Wunder's head, although now that I look closely, they are too big compared to the ones in the movie.

EDIT : ninja'd by TMB! :tongue:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:13 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:???

That hangars are on the model. They're the two-tone grey cylinders.

Oops, my bad. I guess my disappointment with the model is now making me see non-existent flaws as well.

-o-;

PainXIII12
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PainXIII12 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:01 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:I don't care if it's 44cm long. Doing a solid tail instead of proper ribs and charging 18,000 yen is criminal.
o you know how hard it is to get a proper mold of the ribs?! cmon cut them some slack!

Theron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Theron » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:14 pm

Fair warning to everyone with the Koto Unit 1 kit, be careful with the shoulder fin ballsocket that attaches to the upper torso armor. The small peg that has the ball joint on my kit just sheared itself off cause the balljoint got stuck in the fin. ;_;
WHERE IS MY UNIT 13 BANDAI

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:12 pm

Drill it and pin it.

EDIT: Should probably expand a bit since this isn't a modeling forum

SPOILER: Show

I had a ton of crappy ball joints break on the old TV Volks kit

The problem is as Theron described, joint is both broken and the ball is lodged in the socket and can be a paint ot get out. Easiest way to get it out is to drill into the ball so that you can stab it and pry it out. Here you can already see the very tiny pilot hole. It's usually better to go through a few drill bits increasing in size until the one you need. Easier to drill straight that way.

Once you get that out you need to reattach it. In some cases you can drill a hole through the broken off shaft end and then skewer the ball and shaft onto a metal pin with some glue. Kinda like they pin bones together occasionally...

In my case I just hate the plastic the Volks kit was made of so I decided to replace the whole shaft the the final hole in the ball was drilled to the full shaft diameter. I'm digging up pictures form 2009 so I'm not 100% sure what went on but I think I just didn't like the drilled out ball either and instead went for the spare ball joint set from another kit. Either way the process is the same, you put the severed head on top of a new neck :lol:

I haven't touched my own Koto kit since snapping it together but I did notice some stress marks in the shoulders. I might reenforced them before they snap whenever I get around to working on the kit.

PainXIII12
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PainXIII12 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:52 pm

yeah also for the unit 08 bandai kit be careful with the head fins cause mine cracked but i fixed it.

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:17 pm

Finally got my hands on a decently priced Unit-00 RAH figure - Should be here on Friday, in which case I'll post up some shots :D

This was the last one in the series that that wanted (01 and 02) being the others...
Still unsure if I want 08 or not, but, I would GLADLY jump on an MP series RAH figure.

:shifty:

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:35 pm

View Original PostPainXIII12 wrote:yeah also for the unit 08 bandai kit be careful with the head fins cause mine cracked but i fixed it.

I'm curious as to how this happened. Bandai does a lot of toyification to their model kits and by far the worst of these is their fear of thin or pointy parts. They always make them deliberately thicker than necessary to try and give them more durability. Unfortunately this result is some really off-looking stuff. Basically every V-fin on any gundam is too fat and needs to be sanded down. Same with Eva-08's head fins. I'll me sanding my thinner to be more accurately proportioned.

Kotobukiya has no fear of thin or pointy parts so they make things look perfect at the cost of durability, but after all it is a model kit and not an action figure.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:36 pm

View Original PostMelchior wrote:I would GLADLY jump on an MP series RAH figure.

:shifty:

Don't expect it soon. With Rebuild ongoing, the original series takes the back seat for merchandising, EOE even more so. There's a reason there's so few decent figures of the original series Evas. Once Rebuild concludes, we might see more original series stuff.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”