Asuka when the boys call around

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 06, 2013 11:48 am

There is no real indication that either shoes or umbrella are even wet.

The teasing which amounts to "Hey, guys, I'm getting naked in here. Aren't you all getting a little frustrated?" seems perfectly in keeping with her thermal expansion jibe.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 06, 2013 12:01 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:There is no real indication that either shoes or umbrella are even wet.

The teasing which amounts to "Hey, guys, I'm getting naked in here. Aren't you all getting a little frustrated?" seems perfectly in keeping with her thermal expansion jibe.

Agreed. The fact the umbrella's folded is the key -- you don't do that with a wet umbrella. That means she didn't have an umbrella in the rain, that her hair really was wet, and that she was changing out of her (wet) school uniform into her sundress. The rest is just Asuka being Asuka, no real mystery here that I can see.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon May 06, 2013 12:18 pm

She's employing the deadly "flirt with your friends so you'll get jealous and defensive of me" technique. Shinji, being made of a particularly dense wood, is unaffected.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon May 06, 2013 12:28 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:There is no real indication that either shoes or umbrella are even wet.

The shoes are definetely wet.Notice the shadow around them.Animation wise at that time only like this it would seem wet.

There isn't evidence for the umbrella though.It is open and that's a clue.A possible scenario would be:Asuka had an umbrella,her shoes got wet in the road.She returns to house,gets off the shoes and leave's the umbrella mid-open,that's why we are seeing the umbrella and the shoes together and goes to the bath.Then the others are coming in.I would do exactly the same if i had my shoes and the umbrella wet.With the difference that i would leave the umbrella in a basket.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 06, 2013 12:52 pm

Honestly, I think the significance of that last shot is the fact that Misato left and didn't take the umbrella. They're talking about how hard it is to raise a couple of kids, and here's the proof -- she left the umbrella for them instead of taking it herself. Apart from her wet shoes and her usual antics the scene actually has nothing to do with Asuka.

Of course, even if she did have the umbrella her hair might still have gotten wet -- anyone who's been in a particularly windy storm can tell you that umbrellas don't always help all that much.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon May 06, 2013 1:10 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Honestly, I think the significance of that last shot is the fact that Misato left and didn't take the umbrella. They're talking about how hard it is to raise a couple of kids, and here's the proof -- she left the umbrella for them instead of taking it herself. Apart from her wet shoes and her usual antics the scene actually has nothing to do with Asuka.

She is going to NERV with a car so she doesn't need the umbrella.Also the guys probably waited in the house untill the rain to stop.The last though is my speculation.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Elect G-Max
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Elect G-Max » Mon May 06, 2013 7:24 pm

The fact the umbrella's folded is the key -- you don't do that with a wet umbrella. That means she didn't have an umbrella in the rain, that her hair really was wet, and that she was changing out of her (wet) school uniform into her sundress. The rest is just Asuka being Asuka

Sometimes, an umbrella is just an umbrella?

She's employing the deadly "flirt with your friends so you'll get jealous and defensive of me" technique. Shinji, being made of a particularly dense wood, is unaffected.

I don't want to know anything about Shinji's wood...
"Whatever the story or the development of the characters, I made them without a plan... We only started working on the next script once the previous one was done." - Anno, 1996

"Sometimes, putting your toothbrush in its holder upside down can express your feelings towards life in general, your secret desire to commit suicide, the feelings for your long-lost mother that you never got to know, and your favorite color. But sometimes that toothbrush is simply a toothbrush." - Nuclear Lunchbox

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon May 06, 2013 7:28 pm

Seems to me like this is just typical Asuka behavior. Poking sexual jokes at Shinji isn't out of the ordinary at all during the action arc.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon May 06, 2013 7:41 pm

I can't post all i want regarding the topic right now but i just thought i should point out that judging by the shoes's position and attitude/heading, whoever took them off was probably hurried, distracted, or there was just something on her mind.

Going by the fact that this episode is generally centered on Misato, as well as the conversation that takes place during this shot, i think it's pretty certain that whatever visual cue/reference in this shot is primarily focused on Misato. For whatever reason, i always linked that shot to a sort of broken innocence, but more cerebrally i just took it as a pillow shot and a sort of visual commentary on the children's lack of awareness of Misato as just another lost woman/human rather than their guardian.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Felipe
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Felipe » Tue May 07, 2013 3:57 pm

This thread is the perfect example of why I'll never post on this forum again.
Huh.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 07, 2013 4:57 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:i think it's pretty certain that whatever visual cue/reference in this shot is primarily focused on Misato.
I'm gettng the vague recollection that the shoes shot is referring to her -- establishing that she's in rather than out. I'll have to rewatch to make sure I'm not imagining things.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed May 08, 2013 12:49 am

On second look the shoes are wet and they're probably Asuka's, so no she isn't faking. Drawing attention to herself while acting like she doesn't want it, yes, but not going out of her way in some sort of performance.

The umbrella doesn't look wet however, and Misato just left without taking it. Granted she's driving so she doesn't need it, but considering the nature of the conversation at the end of that scene it's probably indicating that she left it there for the children. Just a small measure of care as counterpoint in an episode that takes the whole 'willing to throw children into nearly certain death' up a notch by pointing out they should probably make out wills.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed May 08, 2013 12:34 pm

View Original PostFelipe wrote:This thread is the perfect example of why I'll never post on this forum again.

Why? What did we/i do wrong?

Also, NemZ: While the idea of Misato leaving the umbrella for the children doesn't completely click for me, it does have the strongest argument behind it. And as you said it does provide a very NGE-like counterpoint to the general tactical "coldness" of the episode.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Lelouch34
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lelouch34 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:09 pm

Asuka decided to take a shower to start with as most girls do so she changed her clothes as most people do. She decided to go with casual clothes to relax in and also to try and get Shinji's attention. Furthermore Asuka did not do it for the other boys. In episode 9 she rejected all the other boys letters to focus on Shinji to gain his affection.

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Wed May 08, 2013 11:42 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:...The umbrella doesn't look wet however, and Misato just left without taking it. Granted she's driving so she doesn't need it, but considering the nature of the conversation at the end of that scene it's probably indicating that she left it there for the children...
Really gives you an idea of just how dirt poor Misato and her charges truly are. Despite working for a multi gillion dollar organization, Misato is paid so little that she can't even afford an extra umbrella or two for her roommates. Of course, later in the episode we find out that paying for a steak dinner would just about cause her to go bankrupt (financially speaking; morally, she's already well on her way).

user-02
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby user-02 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:30 am

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:Really gives you an idea of just how dirt poor Misato and her charges truly are. Despite working for a multi gillion dollar organization, Misato is paid so little that she can't even afford an extra umbrella or two for her roommates. Of course, later in the episode we find out that paying for a steak dinner would just about cause her to go bankrupt (financially speaking; morally, she's already well on her way).

In fairness, we really have no idea how the post-apocalyptic Japanese economy works in the world of Evangelion, let alone how farming, ranching, etc., have been thrown out of whack. We can safely assume that there are a lot fewer cows around in Misato's world, and a lot less arable land on which to grow everything. The price of a steak dinner might indeed be astronomical. (Doubly so in the world of Rebuild, in which it appears that the entire ecology of the planet has seriously gone to hell in a handbasket).

That being said, we do get pretty good indication that Misato focuses all of her mental energies on work, and accordingly, that her personal life is a trainwreck. It wouldn't surprise me if said trainwreck also included her personal finances.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”