What would you change about Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue May 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Yeah, I think Jet Alone is one of the only episodes whose events they don't reference at all in any memory flashbacks or through any sort of dialog in the rest of the series. It might actually be the only episode of the series that is expendable.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 13, 2014 7:02 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:I don't care, it's the very worst episode.

No, it isn't.

If you really think that Asuka's interest in Shinji is so important, then make a better episode. Destroy Magma Diver anyway.

There's no point. Magma Diver does exactly what's required, so there's no need to bother with anything else.

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Yeah, I think Jet Alone is one of the only episodes whose events they don't reference at all in any memory flashbacks or through any sort of dialog in the rest of the series. It might actually be the only episode of the series that is expendable.

Agreed. I'm hard pressed to find anything essential about it for any of the characters' storylines.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue May 13, 2014 7:48 pm

On my first viewing, I was 100% indifferent to the episode, jet alone.
I was kinda disappointed the Eva and it didn't duke It out.

I recently rewatched it a few months later and surprisingly enjoyed it a good deal.
The stuff with Ritsuko was very fun, Misato risking her life to stop JA felt real to me, I like seeing her be a more apart of the direct action instead of just a person giving out orders.
Plus I love her sexy radiation suit.

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Wed May 14, 2014 4:29 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Plus I love her sexy radiation suit.

Ha, we got a Misato-Fanservice fan. You only telling that because you like Misato. Admit it! The JA guy is a hypocrite!
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Final Fantasy 7 gets a remake. I hope it doesn't goes the same way NTE did.
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

Firetrout
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Firetrout » Wed May 14, 2014 7:21 am

View Original PostSEELE wrote:The JA guy is a hypocrite!

He's not really a hypocrite, after all, the JA would have functioned perfectly fine during the test run had it not been sabotaged.

It would have been hypocrisy when the JA inevitably got torn to shreds by an Angel and irradiated the entire area it was supposed to protect. But that never happened, so...He's really only a smug bastard.

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Wed May 14, 2014 10:15 pm

Can we have less coffee promotions from the Eva characters? I know they drink it in the show but I don't know it annoys me...
I don't care for Eva-elitists. I don't know everything, and neither do you.

"I'm real tempted to say Kaworu and Evangelionfreak" Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Is that why they call you EvangelionFreak?" DatDude
"I will never understand you, Evangelionfreak. Never ever." Faußtin
"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Well, that still leaves Evangelionfreak straighter to me. Phew." Reichu

James Sucellus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby James Sucellus » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:48 am

I'd have made the distinction between Adam/Lilith smoother, as it feels like they changed gears midway through the series, and I'd have included a scene in End of Evangelion which clarified Gendo had attached Adam to his hand, as I maintain it's very unclear on first watch.

Toji should have died. The manga got that totally right.

Oh, and more Hikari.

goodnight humanitarian
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby goodnight humanitarian » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:06 am

I really do love Neon Genesis Evangelion for what it is, so I would have a few tweaks here and there.

The show's greater commentary about universal human connections, interactions, and relationships fell just a little bit flat for me because scenes with the main characters were overwhelmingly in the context of Nerv and the Evas. A few more scenes with Shinji hanging out with Kensuke and Toji and also Asuka hanging out with Hikari would be nice to show the person behind the pilot. (Also, it would be nice someone mentioned, "Hey, none of us have a living mother, what a strange coincidence!")

Asuka's backstory hinted a lot more earlier in the series. I know Asuka's fight with Arael is the big reveal but earlier hints of her troubled childhood would really help with understanding her character. I'm currently rewatching the series so I know what her backstory is as I am watching the earlier episodes and it really affects how I view her. I love Asuka, she's a great character to me and I'm picking up on a lot of endearing moments but I am really taken back how cruel she can be sometimes. The viewer shouldn't have to wait for episode 20 to finally understand and sympathize with her, it would have been better character development to gradually reveal her troubled childhood.

I would have liked to see Shinji play the cello more often. I think it is an interesting hobby for Shinji to have and it can be used to show more of Shinji's personality.

Also, no fanservice. At all.
Last edited by goodnight humanitarian on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:53 am

@GOODNIGHT
1.) welcome to the fourms! :)
2.) agree strongly with your points that Asuka took too long to sympathize with and that they should have touched upon Shinji's cello playing more especially with it being like the one thing Asuka ever praised him for.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:48 am

I would have put mari in the series and given her one episode in place of a human work, that way people could stop complaining about her being in rebuild........... (not on this site just other places i visit complain a lot)
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:23 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:I would have put mari in the series and given her one episode in place of a human work, that way people could stop complaining about her being in rebuild........... (not on this site just other places i visit complain a lot)

Which places? I would like to argue with them.
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Final Fantasy 7 gets a remake. I hope it doesn't goes the same way NTE did.
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

KaijuMaikeru
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KaijuMaikeru » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:17 am

MOAR

:misato_service:

Seriously though, there is nothing significant that I, personally, would change. I love it just the way it is.
砕け散るまで戦え!

あんたバカァ?!

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:28 am

I would change the name for a more fitting one: Latvian Joke: The Animation. :tongue:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:41 am

^
You confuse it with Texhnolyze.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:39 am

Nah. Seems fitting. Love and hapines is ilusoric and quickly disappears. Those you love will die horribly. Only pain is real, but you can struggle. Until you die. :tongue:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:08 pm

If that's what you think of Evangelion, why do you persist in watching it? You obviously don't agree with the "supposed" message. :um-no:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:10 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:Nah. Seems fitting. Love and hapines is ilusoric and quickly disappears. Those you love will die horribly. Only pain is real, but you can struggle. Until you die. :tongue:

But nobody dies in Evangelion, they just switch bodies. And even when they do die they get better in the end, so it's no biggie. That joke doesn't really make sense. :shrug:
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:13 pm

^^^

Thats not the point of evangelion at all some of shinjis views on the world mix with what you said but only some, and EVA does not necessarily agree with Shinji (understatement) all the time.

I'm not going to go into it to avoid sounding like a cheeseball

^Gendo.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:21 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:^Gendo.

Possibly. But given the way Instrumentality is said to work that seems unlikely. Symbolism, and all that -- not like Yui was actually there.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:47 pm

^ No it really did look like his punishment for the way he treated Shinji and Rei was being rejected by instrumentality an killed (though yui has no room to talk as she is the evil mastermind behind of all of this and thus shares the blame)

Even if he didn't get bitten in half the earth was basically wiped clean so he wouldn't have survived that and again im almost 100% certain he was rejected so im pretty damn sure gendo is dead.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”