Cold Shinji Fanfiction

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:49 am

^
Nah, let's just make him pure unadulterated EVIL with zero redeeming qualities.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:37 am

^
Then you'll have to explain how did he become pure EVIL like that.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:25 am

^
Then you'll have to explain why I have to explain it to you :bat:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 am

There needs to be a link to the Shinji we know, otherwise he's simply a different character with the same name, and of no interest here.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:41 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:^

Not to me, to the readers, in the story!
You can't just have an evil Shinji popping out no nowhere without explaining how we got from the shy and nice kid he is to that point.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:43 am

Just make him mutter: "Anno happened." It will be sufficent :lol:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:59 am

@ El
Yes to you Good Sir! You're the one that asked!

Meh, realistically I'd just have him go down the path of He who fights Monsters and call it a day.

Thomas68
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thomas68 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:23 am

:lol:
I've got nothing better to do, so I have registered myself here!

KobayashiRiku
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KobayashiRiku » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:05 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Alrighty Tom, this is for you bro. Obsession

:bigeyes:

I am downright baffled how I'm supposed to feel about this fic. Its a good read, no doubt about that, but the feels I'm getting from it defy explanation. And I've read a couple fics where Shinji "falls to the dark side". But this one... this is somethin else.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:32 am

^
I know the feels, when I read it God knows how many years ago, I didn't sleep right that night, I just kept coming back to how bad I felt for Asuka and Shinji's daughter. Probably the first Darkfic I read, that or Aoi.

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:47 pm

What exactly is "Satanic Shinji" and why does that mean cold? A cold Shinji really shouldn't be that hard to conceive of without imagining a mustache-twirling sociopath. Just have him act like somebody who could grow up to be like Gendo. In other words, Shinji, without Yui's or Misato's good traits.

KobayashiRiku
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KobayashiRiku » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:46 am

I know the feels, when I read it God knows how many years ago, I didn't sleep right that night, I just kept coming back to how bad I felt for Asuka and Shinji's daughter. Probably the first Darkfic I read, that or Aoi.

Admittedly I had to pour myself a stiff drink to get to sleep last night after that one. I stand by what I said, its a really good read, but damn if your brain isn't BSOD'd after reading it. -o-; and TBH I'm in no way on the LAS train but even -I- felt bad for her

SPOILER: Show
Until she went a little nutso at the end

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:30 am

Blowing Rei's brains put was pretty fucking awesome to me, especially after Shinji just got her back, I was like, "Praise Asuka and all her Yandereness".

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:12 am

You folks must be made of sterner stuff than me. I Nope'd the fuck out of there less than a quarter of the way in.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

KobayashiRiku
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KobayashiRiku » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:27 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:
Blowing Rei's brains put was pretty fucking awesome to me, especially after Shinji just got her back, I was like, "Praise Asuka and all her Yandereness".
It certainly was a natural way to end things, didn't feel jarring at all. And given her character in the show, I'd say it was quite on point.

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:06 pm

View Original PostIuvenal wrote:You folks must be made of sterner stuff than me. I Nope'd the fuck out of there less than a quarter of the way in.

Actually, I never even started. I saw the premise and went, "No thanks."

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:57 pm

Read it years ago. Don't waste your time. Rather shoddy writter trying too hard to be edgy, who uses Asuka about as badly as Re-Take does with Rei and inserts crazy religious nonsense into the plot just because.

:hitthetable: :lol: :rofl: :pointlaugh: "Kiboo"
Last edited by NemZ on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:13 am

I know the feels, when I read it God knows how many years ago, I didn't sleep right that night, I just kept coming back to how bad I felt for Asuka and Shinji's daughter. oi.

Parents damage their children, who in turn grow up to be damaged people, who damage their own children. The cycle repeats indefinitely.

zwabbit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby zwabbit » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:44 pm

I have an unused "cold Shinji" concept that I never wrote an actual fic for because I couldn't figure out a way to make the story end in a satisfying way. Giving a rationale for why he becomes cold is actually pretty straightforward so long as you don't take things overboard. As much as the kids have problems, there is a method to the madness.

Shinji Rokubungi

He and his father were effectively abandoned by his mother after she lost all ability to feel empathy after the contact experiment with Unit 01. This act left Gendo a broken man (even more so than in the canon) who was utterly unfit to raise a son. Shinji developed into an extremely pragmatic person, evaluating everything from the perspective of utility. He chooses his actions based on a cost/benefit analysis, only doing things that result in a net benefit to him. Goodwill, he has trouble quantifying the benefits so he errs on the side of conserving his "resources." With the consequence that people think he is antisocial or selfish. And then he gets called back to Tokyo-3 by his mother to pilot the EVA.

One point, indifference does not necessarily equate cruelty. Rei was for the most part indifferent. Was she necessarily cruel?

Anyway, I ended up discarding the concept above. I could justify the development of Shinji into such a persona and I could see various ways to milk it for drama and plot development, but I couldn't figure out how to do a satisfying conclusion. We already have major downer endings in the EVA canon, having another one in a fanfic feels a bit like beating a dead horse.

KobayashiRiku
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KobayashiRiku » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:58 pm

View Original Postzwabbit wrote:I have an unused "cold Shinji" concept that I never wrote an actual fic for because I couldn't figure out a way to make the story end in a satisfying way. Giving a rationale for why he becomes cold is actually pretty straightforward so long as you don't take things overboard. As much as the kids have problems, there is a method to the madness.

Shinji Rokubungi

He and his father were effectively abandoned by his mother after she lost all ability to feel empathy after the contact experiment with Unit 01. This act left Gendo a broken man (even more so than in the canon) who was utterly unfit to raise a son. Shinji developed into an extremely pragmatic person, evaluating everything from the perspective of utility. He chooses his actions based on a cost/benefit analysis, only doing things that result in a net benefit to him. Goodwill, he has trouble quantifying the benefits so he errs on the side of conserving his "resources." With the consequence that people think he is antisocial or selfish. And then he gets called back to Tokyo-3 by his mother to pilot the EVA.

One point, indifference does not necessarily equate cruelty. Rei was for the most part indifferent. Was she necessarily cruel?

Anyway, I ended up discarding the concept above. I could justify the development of Shinji into such a persona and I could see various ways to milk it for drama and plot development, but I couldn't figure out how to do a satisfying conclusion. We already have major downer endings in the EVA canon, having another one in a fanfic feels a bit like beating a dead horse.

That's actually a pretty interesting character sketch, if you ever pick it back up, let me know.

Return to “Fanfiction”