Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:29 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Well, no doubt. But even so, when it's six months out . . .

I mean, if it's beyond one's means it is, but what struck me was less that than the notion that it was too late to consider going (particularly in 2015).

For Dartz, since he doesn't live in the US, it might be an issue of getting the passport situation squared out and that stuff always takes forever.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:52 am

View Original PostTokpile Quohog wrote:For Dartz, since he doesn't live in the US, it might be an issue of getting the passport situation squared out and that stuff always takes forever.

Nah, Europeans (along with Canadians, Australians, and some others) don't have to worry about that when visiting the U.S. thanks to the visa waiver program. Long as you have a passport you're good to go.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:41 pm

Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:16 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Anybody here gonna do an Otakon 2014 or 2015 EGF meetup? Maybe 2015 would be more fitting, considering Eva (and Final's assumed release date).

I'd love to finally attend Otakon, I just don't know yet what my schedule (assuming I'm working this year) would be.

If there is a meetup, we've got to do an EGF panel together. FOR SCIENCE.

I will be there. There's no guarantee, but I'll probably have a panel. It might be Evangelion related, but we'll have to see how that works out.

If it will sweeten the deal, I'll host a meetup somewhere. What will it take to get you and Zap to come to Baltimore?

I'm going to try to be a little smarter about Otakon this year, try to get panel prep done well in advance, make my at-con schedule more conducive to socializing, etc.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:There's no guarantee, but I'll probably have a panel. It might be Evangelion related, but we'll have to see how that works out.

I thought a group EGF panel would be cool, though I guess that depends whether or not other staff would be in attendance (e.g. Reichu)?

If it will sweeten the deal, I'll host a meetup somewhere.

Nice! In case it'd be food/drink related, neither of us drink alcohol much and I have a food intolerance (gluten/wheat) but besides that, a meetup sounds fun. :asuka_thumbsup:

Check your PM box about the other stuff.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:00 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I thought a group EGF panel would be cool, though I guess that depends whether or not other staff would be in attendance (e.g. Reichu)?

Doing a panel specific to Eva Geeks could be very tricky or difficult. There's something like 500 submissions to 100 actual fan-panels, so usually it takes something immense like Gaia Online to get a community panel. A general Eva panel on the other hand is much more doable with my position and tenure.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Nice! In case it'd be food/drink related, neither of us drink alcohol much and I have a food intolerance (gluten/wheat) but besides that, a meetup sounds fun. :asuka_thumbsup:

You're in good company, the most I ever drink is one drink at Otakon or Katuscon, and even then it depends on who I'm with. As far as gluten goes, I don't know how it is where you're living, but Baltimore is filled with quirky hipster people, so there are tons of vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free options and places.

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:49 pm

what would you do at an EGF panel? I just keeping thinking it being a recruitment session which would be stupid.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:18 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Doing a panel specific to Eva Geeks could be very tricky or difficult.

My memory's fuzzy, but what was the Eva panel that you, Reichu, and some others had (only a few years back)?

As far as gluten goes, I don't know how it is where you're living, but Baltimore is filled with quirky hipster people, so there are tons of vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free options and places.

Houston's very good about that, for the most part. The neck of the woods I'm from in Upstate New York really depends on the restaurant.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:28 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:My memory's fuzzy, but what was the Eva panel that you, Reichu, and some others had (only a few years back)?

The first few years I did an Eva panel maybe 2003-2007, it was more general, consisting of news, cool stuff, some small presentations of things, and some Q&A. Since then, I've only done panels that are presentations on particular topics or aspects of the franchise.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:51 pm

View Original PostTokpile Quohog wrote:what would you do at an EGF panel? I just keeping thinking it being a recruitment session which would be stupid.

A bunch of people yelling at each other on what 'this' or 'that' really means
Kinda like what we do here.
:lol:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:59 pm

It's still too long out for me to be sure but I'm planning to attend again this year.

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:A general Eva panel on the other hand is much more doable with my position and tenure.

Sounds interesting. Should do it.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:58 am

I'm trying to decide which direction to go in. A high-brow panel about the use of train sequences to represent the collective unconscious, or another Evangelion WTF? panel with even more extreme and ridiculous bullshit. Choices...

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:56 pm

Sounds like you can only do 1 and not both.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:39 pm

The latter sounds more interesting to me, but then again I get my 2deep4me fix here as is, so the former might be more interesting for non EGFers.

If you do decide to do the WTF? panel, though, you of course need to mention this. :lol:
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:36 am

online registration is open now.
$70 for first 10,000 applicants and $80 for rest up to 35,000 applicants. I have no idea why they would charge $10 more for people applying later.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:31 pm

So...

Otakon
August 8 - August 10, 2014
Baltimore Convention Center
Baltimore, Maryland, USA

I will be there. Drinian will probably be there. Anyone else showing their lovely faces? Maybe we can have a lunch or a dinner meet-up?

At the very least, you can come see me at one of my panels, I will be doing the following:

Japan Loves Evangelion (Entirely Too Much)
At some point, Evangelion graduated from a controversial, yet successful television series to iconography that has pervaded Japan's relatively conservative culture in a variety of interesting and unexpected ways. From promotional tie-ins with Pizza Hut, Doritos, and Shick, to an entire Evangelion-themed attraction at the Fuji-Q Highland amusement park, there is no doubt that Evangelion has invaded Japan's public consciousness. And that's saying nothing of the breadth of merchandise that has been produced over the past two decades. Attire, electronics, sporting goods, housewares... you name it, they've probably slapped a Nerv logo or a relevant color scheme on it at some point. We'll be taking a look at the many ways that prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that Japan loves Evangelion entirely too much.

Sega does... what Nintendon't.
After the video game industry crash of 1983, Nintendo was able to explode onto the scene and secure the vast majority of the market, and it remained largely unchallenged until the early 1990s when Sega gained a foothold with the Sega Genesis and games like Sonic the Hedgehog. What followed was the infamous "bit wars" between Nintendo and Sega, an at times childish back-and-forth that has ingrained itself into the collective memory of gaming. We'll take a look at the history of Sega, how it became a serious competitor to Nintendo, where it went wrong, and how it all fell apart. We'll look at its well-known blunders with hardware, as well as the advertising and marketing that ranged from absurd to just plain "what were they thinking" weird.

I may also be doing a workshop on fusebead art:

Getting Started with Fuse Beads
Fuse beads (or bead sprites) are a form of pixel art where small, individual beads are placed on a grid to form a pattern or image and then melted together with a household iron. It's a hobby that has been around for a long time, however it has recently become popular thanks to the internet, technology, and a healthy dose of nostalgia for 8 and 16-bit video games. If you've ever thought about getting into fuse beads, it's actually really easy, and this panel (or workshop) will provide you with everything you need to get started. You'll be making bead sprites in no time.

I sometimes make stuff like this and this

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:50 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I sometimes make stuff like this and this
Totally awesome! I never knew such things existed.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Real life's been crazier and crazier (check the recent FML posts for context) so I don't think visiting is a go this year.

More or less optimistic that life will be steady next year (especially since it'll be 2015, big year for Eva!) that we'll get there? I'd personally love an Eva Con 2015, if that could will happen. Image

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:22 pm

@Eva Monkey: I wish I could attend, that sound pretty awesome.

Also, I'm familiar with Fuse Beads, except the ones I've used when I was a kid were called Hama Beads. Probably just a brand name though.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:26 pm

I will be there.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Anime and Manga”