A remake or a sequel?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:51 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:「ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版」は、リニューアルでもリメイクでも続編でもない。このプロジェクトには、回顧の意味はいっさいない。これは新時代を開拓するための、最新作だ!

"Evangelion New Movie Edition" is not Renewal or a remake or a sequel. This project's meaning isn't recollection of everything. This conspcious new production in the new age is meant to be trail-blazing!

Yep, this - It's a completely new production/work. All those things that are totted as evidence for Sequel Theory I just see as creative nods, or 'narrative echoes', to elements and themes from NGE/EOE (At least the ones that are not accounted for in the CRC and other supplemental material). It's something that Anno and Khara will continue to do with Q and Final, I reckon - They'll throw in even more stuff that won't exactly confirm or deny Sequel Theory, and it will be something that is ultimately left hanging, open for discussion. FOREVER. Which is cool by me.

Whenever I see the below comparison shot though, I get goosebumps.

SPOILER: Show
But like I said; "echoes" man.

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Anyway this sounds a lot like those other ambitious statements, I guess that I'll just sit down, wait and see what Khara will effectively show us in the next two films.

Pretty much, and if by "other statements" you mean the 'What We're Trying to Achieve Here' one Khara released with Jo/1.0; that purported exactly what SSD quoted from the NTV article, except it had that ambiguous piece about "a story that repeats". Else-wise, see paragraph above.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

ohnasti
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ohnasti » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:38 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Whenever I see the below comparison shot though, I get goosebumps.

this no offence, has to be the dumbest comparation to the rebuild series.

Knuckles
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Knuckles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:44 am

^ um... why?
"It doesn't matter. This is all I need.."
"Rei is genetically his mom, socially his friend/coworker/classmate, legally his sister, spiritually the progenitor of the entire 'normal' biosphere, physically a mass of matter that ought not be, and technically (depending on which Rei we're talking about) also some form of the risen dead.

...and I still like Shinji/Rei."

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:46 am

View Original Postohnasti wrote:this no offence, has to be the dumbest comparation to the rebuild series.

Not really. It's Shinji (essentially) stomping on the pyramid, both of which are basically NERV in essence (depending on how you interpret that scene from EoE of course). It's not the same thing, nor does it have the same meaning, but there is reason to draw a comparison.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:59 am

View Original Postohnasti wrote:this no offence, has to be the dumbest comparation to the rebuild series.

Dude, it's not a literal something like the giant chalk out-lines or red oceans. It's meant to be more symbolic you know, an emotional resonance kind of thing, i.e. "I've seen this somewhere before." That, to me, is more or less the feeling or aim of what this topic touches on (And we're talking on a subtext/meta-level here).

Or maybe, as someone else here on the boards would say; "2deep4u"

;)
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:27 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Yep, this - It's a completely new production/work. All those things that are totted as evidence for Sequel Theory I just see as creative nods, or 'narrative echoes', to elements and themes from NGE/EOE (At least the ones that are not accounted for in the CRC and other supplemental material). It's something that Anno and Khara will continue to do with Q and Final, I reckon - They'll throw in even more stuff that won't exactly confirm or deny Sequel Theory, and it will be something that is ultimately left hanging, open for discussion. FOREVER. Which is cool by me.

That paragraph you quoted is about as explicit as denial gets. "Evangelion New Movie Edition is not . . . a sequel." I mean, what more could we ask for? They've told us flat-out it's not a sequel.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Or maybe, as someone else here on the boards would say; "2deep4u"

;)

That would seem to be an accurate reading of his response, yes.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

NME is (not) a sequel and this is (not) a post

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:21 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That paragraph you quoted is about as explicit as denial gets. "Evangelion New Movie Edition is not . . . a sequel." I mean, what more could we ask for? They've told us flat-out it's not a sequel.

They also said that it's not a remake but the first two films pretty much qualify as remakes of the TV series.
View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Pretty much, and if by "other statements" you mean the 'What We're Trying to Achieve Here' one Khara released with Jo/1.0; that purported exactly what SSD quoted from the NTV article, except it had that ambiguous piece about "a story that repeats". Else-wise, see paragraph above.

Yeah, I was referring to that statement and other similar ones, I wouldn't read too much into it because I think that they're just trying to distance themselves from the rest of the sequel/remake mania.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: NME is (not) a sequel and this is (not) a post

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:10 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:They also said that it's not a remake but the first two films pretty much qualify as remakes of the TV series.

The first might, but the second certainly doesn't. It was different from the start.

Yeah, I was referring to that statement and other similar ones, I wouldn't read too much into it because I think that they're just trying to distance themselves from the rest of the sequel/remake mania.

No, that's explicit denial. There's nothing to read into it, and frankly no other way to read the statement -- it's not a sequel, full stop. In light of this further speculation on the matter is wishful thinking at best.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:05 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The first might, but the second certainly doesn't. It was different from the start.

Aren't you reading it in a convenient way if you accept that it could be a remake but viscerally deny that it could be a sequel? Keep also in mind that they could mean "sequel" tout-a-court, like something which happens directly after EoE or EoTV, it doesn't necessarily deny the possibility of some other form of narrative linking like my dear multiverse theory.

@SSD: I already mentioned it in the other thread, but does it mention who made those statements?
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:18 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:@SSD: I already mentioned it in the other thread, but does it mention who made those statements?

I'm assuming somebody at NTV (or maybe somebody at Khara?) since both those synopsis pages are meant to gain hype for 1.0 TV and 2.0 TV/3.0 TV.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:30 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I'm assuming somebody at NTV (or maybe somebody at Khara?) since both those synopsis pages are meant to gain hype for 1.0 TV and 2.0 TV/3.0 TV.

Thanks, if it were someone from NTV I'd really be careful about reading it as the definitive answer to the sequel dilemma, as Bagheera is apparently doing (especially in that other thread). Someone from Khara would give it a higher credibility but if we can't even confirm it... :shrug:
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:36 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Aren't you reading it in a convenient way if you accept that it could be a remake but viscerally deny that it could be a sequel?

Not at all. It's clear the new movies as a whole are not a remake since, taken as a whole, they tell a different story. The first movie can be read as a remake, but it's only the opening act to the story. Once the second came out that illusion was quickly dispelled and the truth of the quoted statements remains intact.

Keep also in mind that they could mean "sequel" tout-a-court, like something which happens directly after EoE or EoTV, it doesn't necessarily deny the possibility of some other form of narrative linking like my dear multiverse theory.

You're grasping at straws, man. If they were gonna go that route they wouldn't state things so plainly. And it sounds to me like their goal is to distance themselves from the original work -- it's not a sequel, or a revival, or a remake, or anything like that, but rather a new work for a new age. And so we get homages to the original throughout but it's still very much its own thing.

Regarding source, I expect we'll either get confirmation or a retraction fairly soon, as making such explicit statements without studio approval is not something TV stations do (at least not when actively promoting a product).

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:48 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Not at all. It's clear the new movies as a whole are not a remake since, taken as a whole, they tell a different story.

It depends on your definition of "remake"
View Original PostWikipedia wrote:With some exceptions, remakes make significant character, plot, and theme changes.

Ha is still a remake according to this definition.
Bagheera wrote:You're grasping at straws, man. If they were gonna go that route they wouldn't state things so plainly.

Regarding source, I expect we'll either get confirmation or a retraction fairly soon, as making such explicit statements without studio approval is not something TV stations do (at least not when actively promoting a product).

People have been grasping at straws with NGE/EoE from more than 15 years, it wouldn't amaze me if someone will still keep doing it with NME for the next 15 years. Anyway, for now we only know that it's a statement from a TV station, I'm not going to treat it as tier 2 canon, if anyone still use those criteria, we'll see if they're going to confirm it, deny it or simply remain silent about it.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Remake? Sequel? Bah! The answer has been there in front of you all along --
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:02 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:03 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Remake? Sequel? Bah! The answer has been there in front of you all along --

That's some pretty epic trolling there, chief! :lol: And of course, the answer to the last is "and that's why we hate Mari."

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:08 pm

Coming from someone who still has to watch the films released until now, yes, it's quite decent trolling.
Last edited by Hyper Shinchan on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

FluffyBunny
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FluffyBunny » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:09 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Remake? Sequel? Bah! The answer has been there in front of you all along --
View Original PostBagheera wrote:That's some pretty epic trolling there, chief! :lol: And of course, the answer to the last is "and that's why we hate Mari."

Is Mr.Tines saying Mari's appearance makes new movies not a sequal/remake/something else? (Sorry I didn't quite get it. Maybe it was just a joke...)

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:10 pm

View Original PostFluffyBunny wrote:Is Mr.Tines saying Mari's appearance makes new movies not a sequal/remake/something else? (Sorry I didn't quite get it. Maybe it was just a joke...)

It says that the new films are a fanfiction.
EDIT:
@Seele00TextOnly: except we don't know if it really comes from "Khara Studios", but whatever, EGF's autism is stronger than anything else.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Eh. I like Mari so far. (What little I know of her I like, anyway.)

Also, word from official sources that NME isn't a sequel? Huh. I kind of expected that to be true. Hell Train scenes with Shinji would have been better put to use flashbacking between the realities, more strongly suggesting a sequel if that were the case. You know, rather than not doing that at all.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”