A remake or a sequel?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun May 13, 2012 1:13 pm

View Original PostSon of Lilin wrote:The giant humanoid outlines on the ground that resemble the MP Evas are what keep me hanging onto the sequel theory. I haven't read a good non-sequel theory explanation for them.

There have been:

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Sigh, because it needs repeating:

1) Kaworu knowing Shinji: Either they met as children (see also the GoS2 and GD Manga) or Kaworu already knew about Shinji like in Episode 24.

2) The chalk outline on the beach: It's "a leftover from Second Impact" according to the Entry File 1 book. The fan speculation goes that it's a brunt out Adam. Taking the speculation one step further, the 4 Adams could be 4 of the Eva units. (Although some think 4 Adams = 4 of the Eva pilots.)

3) The blood streak on the Moon: compare EoE's to 1.11/2.22. They're not the same. At all. A scrapped storyboard in 2.0 Complete Records Collection showed the 1.0/2.0 Moon bloodstreak as a result of Second Impact.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:11 am

The new movie is called You Can (Not) Redo...

Come on that all but confirms it is a sequel.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri May 18, 2012 9:53 am

View Original PostLonecow12 wrote:The new movie is called You Can (Not) Redo...

Nope, check out this thread: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/12363/Official-30-title-You-Can-Not-Redo/

"Redo" can have a lot to do with the characters owning up to their mistakes (Shinji causing Near Third Impact), moving forward from the past (Asuka and Eva-03), etc etc.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Fri May 18, 2012 10:42 am

View Original PostLonecow12 wrote:The new movie is called You Can (Not) Redo...

You can see the NOT in the title, right?

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:43 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Nope, check out this thread: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/12363/Official-30-title-You-Can-Not-Redo/

"Redo" can have a lot to do with the characters owning up to their mistakes (Shinji causing Near Third Impact), moving forward from the past (Asuka and Eva-03), etc etc.

Like all the previous titles it has multiple meanings. It's pretty obvious it is referring to the world inside the film and outside as well.

Pretty clever tounge-in-cheek move from Khara.

EDIT: Wow fast posting today. The NOT in parenthesis can be read two ways. It is NOT a remake or it Is a remake.

If you are saying it is NOT a remake then that means it IS a sequel. You argued against your own point, my fine feathered friend.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri May 18, 2012 11:59 am

View Original PostLonecow12 wrote:Like all the previous titles it has multiple meanings. It's pretty obvious it is referring to the world inside the film and outside as well.

Pretty clever tounge-in-cheek move from Khara.

EDIT: Wow fast posting today. The NOT in parenthesis can be read two ways. It is NOT a remake or it Is a remake.

If you are saying it is NOT a remake then that means it IS a sequel. You argued against your own point, my fine feathered friend.

Eh? No, she's been arguing it's not a sequel. If it's not a sequel it is a remake, which means her argument holds up just fine.

(personally, I think this might be Khara's way of telling us it's not a sequel: you can not redo, ergo 1.xx could not have happened post-3I since it's obviously a do-over (i.e. a redo). But if you can't redo that means it has to be a remake, so sequel theories go bye-bye.)
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Fri May 18, 2012 3:38 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Eh? No, she's been arguing it's not a sequel. If it's not a sequel it is a remake, which means her argument holds up just fine.

(personally, I think this might be Khara's way of telling us it's not a sequel: you can not redo, ergo 1.xx could not have happened post-3I since it's obviously a do-over (i.e. a redo). But if you can't redo that means it has to be a remake, so sequel theories go bye-bye.)

I understand this is confusing with all the (NOT) stuff, but she said, "You see the word NOT, correct" or some such thing.

So she is saying the title reads "You can NOT Redo".

Ergo by her own logic she is saying It isn't a remake, so it must be a sequel.

I understand that she is against the sequel idea, which is why her argument, bringing up the NOT flies in the face of what she has been arguing for this whole time.

If the title was "You can (NOT) sequalize." and then she said "You noticed the NOT in there right". Then her argument against a sequel would make sense.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just having a little fun with your words. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. Let's not get our feathers in a ruffle.

EDIT: I even confused myself, and put "Remake" instead of "Sequalize." lol

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri May 18, 2012 4:33 pm

View Original PostLonecow12 wrote:I understand this is confusing with all the (NOT) stuff, but she said, "You see the word NOT, correct" or some such thing.

So she is saying the title reads "You can NOT Redo".

Ergo by her own logic she is saying It isn't a remake, so it must be a sequel.

That doesn't follow. Redo =/= Remake. Obviously you can remake, since 1.xx is in most respects a carbon copy of episodes 1-6. You can't say they can't do it because it's been done. It's a semantic game in some respects, since a remake is a redo in many ways and a sequel need not (and usually doesn't) revisit old material. But since that's exactly what 1.xx does it gives the title a somewhat different meaning; it is a remake, which obviously means it exists, so "you can (not) redo" loses some of the meta elements to its meaning. It only really makes sense if you apply it to the story itself, and that means it can't be a sequel -- the fact that it's repeating some of the same events means it can only be a remake.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just having a little fun with your words. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. Let's not get our feathers in a ruffle.

I don't think anyone's feathers are ruffled here. I'm just noting that your claim above isn't true.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:39 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That doesn't follow. Redo =/= Remake. Obviously you can remake, since 1.xx is in most respects a carbon copy of episodes 1-6. You can't say they can't do it because it's been done. It's a semantic game in some respects, since a remake is a redo in many ways and a sequel need not (and usually doesn't) revisit old material. But since that's exactly what 1.xx does it gives the title a somewhat different meaning; it is a remake, which obviously means it exists, so "you can (not) redo" loses some of the meta elements to its meaning. It only really makes sense if you apply it to the story itself, and that means it can't be a sequel -- the fact that it's repeating some of the same events means it can only be a remake.

I don't think anyone's feathers are ruffled here. I'm just noting that your claim above isn't true.

Well like you said it's all mostly semantics. I don't think you can really say A SEQUEL IS THIS and and SEQUEL ISN'T THIS. Just because it covers the same ground doesn't mean it HAS to be a remake. Until we know the final endgame we can't say.

Using definitives is a dangerous game. A game I've lost many times.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Fri May 18, 2012 9:45 pm

I don't know what you've done to get him that testy. Bags is usually so easy-going and relaxed.

View Original PostLonecow12 wrote:Using definitives is a dangerous game. A game I've lost many times.

I love these sentences. I want to hear them delivered by an actor like Sean Bean.

So far, the films have offered ways in which the "(not)" does and doesn't apply. You could give reasons why characters are or aren't alone and have or haven't advanced. Anno explores outside and inside the parentheses.

This "redo" business is very interesting. At the very least, it (seems) to point to the film being self-conscious of its status as a re-something, which is appropriate. If you're gonna resurrect Evangelion, it's gotta be to comment on the original show. Looking forward to seeing what that commentary is. Everyone who thinks they know will be made a liar by the end, I'd say...

Son of Lilin
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Son of Lilin » Mon May 28, 2012 10:42 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:There have been:

Leftover from 2nd impact? Works for the sequel theory, since it assumes the NGE 2nd impact is the EoE 3rd impact.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 28, 2012 11:06 am

View Original PostSon of Lilin wrote:Leftover from 2nd impact? Works for the sequel theory, since it assumes the NGE 2nd impact is the EoE 3rd impact.

I assume you mean NME 2nd Impact, which is emphatically its own unique event and not in the least bit synonymous with EoE's 3rd Impact.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Son of Lilin
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Son of Lilin » Mon May 28, 2012 1:42 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I assume you mean NME 2nd Impact, which is emphatically its own unique event and not in the least bit synonymous with EoE's 3rd Impact.

I did mean NME, and whether or not they are different events has not yet been made explicitly clear.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Mon May 28, 2012 1:47 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon May 28, 2012 1:53 pm

We also saw a flashback of Rebuild's 2nd impact, with 4 lances and 4 "Adams", it was nothing like EoE's 3rd impact. And, being that there are people who "lived through" 2nd impact, not having been turned into LCL, that doesn't seem to line up with what is made explicitly clear in EoE.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 28, 2012 1:58 pm

There's also the stain on the Moon, which, in NME, is so small that it isn't visible from Earth.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

hellrasinbrasin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby hellrasinbrasin » Tue May 29, 2012 2:18 am

I think and this is just my two cents -- that what we have seen in these 2
Rebuild films is the 1st Act of the current "Loop" --
SPOILER: Show
that in fact although some minor events are playing out differently or as they should have in the 1st cycle (Tv-Series) we are seeing the TRUE Instrumentality Project is now unfolding...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:04 pm

Regarding the remake vs sequel argument:

View Original PostNTV 1.0 Info wrote:「ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版」は、リニューアルでもリメイクでも続編でもない。このプロジェクトには、回顧の意味はいっさいない。これは新時代を開拓するための、最新作だ!

"Evangelion New Movie Edition" is not Renewal or a remake or a sequel. This project's meaning isn't recollection of everything. This conspcious new production in the new age is meant to be trail-blazing!

(2.0 and 3.0 article here: http://www.ntv.co.jp/kinro/lineup/20121116/index.html )

I'm reminded of this:

Trigger's Elysium wrote:"The new story takes place in the same period as the 1995 TV series, but the plot is completely different," producer Toshimichi Otsuki elaborates. "This isn't a remake or a quick fix. It's a totally new production."
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:09 pm

I get a not found message when I click the 2.0 and 3.0 article link.
Last edited by bobbyfischer's ghost on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:12 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:I get a not found message when I click the 2.0 and 3.0 article link.

Remove the closing parenthesis.

Anyway this sounds a lot like those other ambitious statements, I guess that I'll just sit down, wait and see what Khara will effectively show us in the next two films.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”