-46h (GENERAL)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
MsenjaKagami
Lilith

Re: -46h (GENERAL) [SPOILER]

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:39 pm

Hey BernardoCairo, since you have the blu-ray already, does the -120min motion comic contains new pictures that weren't in the original? I saw a post on twitter that said it would but it could've just been a mistranslation or was otherwise just a rumor.

Nevermind. False rumor
Last edited by MsenjaKagami on Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:34 pm

The short is online. This is not a drill. Link is on 4chan thread. Not sure how long it or the upload will be there. No english subs.

Just watched it, here's a full breakdown typed more or less in real time:
SPOILER: Show
Pinkie doing pull-ups on Will-E battleship with young Spike Spiegel lookalike guy, tan-skinned girl also there briefly
Pinkie has flashback to N3I while straining to do pull ups
EoE style green crosses and red Eva popping up across the planet, view from satellite
Young Midori climbing a hill, voiceover from 3.0 Midori
Turns to see Huge giant red unit-01 looking thing manifests inside city, then it's head falls off and dissolves into the red core ground
Midori be like "oh shit son!" and GTFOs along with a massive flock of birds, more voiceover
Cut to night-time. Spinning segmented moon from 3.0, Midori sleeps inside crashed NERV aircraft.
Daytime - more hill climbing, more voiceover - still in non-corified area
Red lines in the sky, Midori trips as red corification creeps across the landscape
Looks up to see red corified lands and a whole bunch of headless Eva things trudging through the fields
Midori be like "well this couldnt get any worse". It gets worse.
Giant Eva arm smashes through the hill in front of her, Midori books it as a newly-manifesting zombie Eva corifies the landscape beneath it
Midori looks like she's being to get corified or squished by this eva but...
IT'S FUCKIN' MARI BITCHES. Looking cool as fuck in her avaitors and singing what I presume is a Showa-era song while piloting a flying wing of the sort that Hyuga pilots to drop off Unit-01 in the JetAlone Episode
She and Asuka have a chat about something and Asuka spotting her blindfold and in a jury-rigged, one-armed Unit-02 is dropped out of the aircraft.
Midori has a giant gooey Eva-Zombie in front and a sheer drop behind but Asuka screams her trademark scream and engages the jello-Eva
She tries pushing it away with Unit-02s one good arm but it starts to infect it.
Asuka shouts to Midori to get to safety or something and continues to engage the zombie-eva while liquid from the corruption splashes dangerously near to Midori
Then as Asuka wrestles with the thing, it's arm smashes down onto the ground and sends Midori flying
Poor Soon-to-be-Pinkie is hanging from a branch over what is now a chasm
Unit-02 is losing ground to the Zombie-Eva, the ground underneath Midori gets corified
The goo from the zombie eva splashes around and burns away some of Midori's hair and leaving most of what's left a shade of pink. She strains as she tries to pull herself up
Asuka is just about done with this shit and elbow smashes the zombie-eva before judo-throwing it away.
Unfortuantely the impact of the zombie-eva hitting the ground loosens Midori's grip on the branch and she falls. Cut to black. Sound of body impacting the ground.
Midori, panting, opens her eyes. She's in Unit 02's hand. Asuka WITH THE CATCH.
Asuka talks to Midori while Mari's singing again. She lifts up her eyepatch, her right eye is still normal.
Shot of Mari's plane coming in to pick up Unit-02. Voiceover from Midori. Flash back ends
Present day Pinkie lets go of the push-up bars and drops to the deck, shot of her lying mirrors that of her lying in Unit-02 hand.
She chats to Spiegel Junior for a bit, she helps him up and then he says something that cheeses her off and she kicks him in the back of the knee
Midori and Spikeling walk across the deck of ship and look in awe and the massive orbital rockets from the opening scene of 3.0. Gradual fade-in of bi-lingual pre-launch technobabble
Final shot is of Unit 2 inside the launch vehicle, her remaining eyes light up green. Cut to credits.
We're not shown anything new, whether anything in dialogue or voiceover is of note remains to be seen. It's not clear without dialogue whether they are there to rescue Midori or she just happened to be in the area. If it's the latter it's not clear what Unit-02 intended mission was.

Edit approx 12 hours later: 4chan-sempai noticed me ^_^
Last edited by Jayfive on Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:25 am, edited 10 times in total.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:39 pm

Why focus on Midori of all people? Why not show what happened with Misato, Ritsuko, Kaji, Gendo?

I'm kinda wondering now if they're gonna do 10 minute shorts for every single character now. Maybe this was testing the waters.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:41 pm

I watched the leak. No English translation was apparent to me, so I couldn’t follow the dialogue. First impressions:

1) It’s so pretty!
2) It didn’t answer deep lore questions, at least not in an immediately obvious visual manner. Several clues to mull over though.
3) I could watch side character shorts all year long; let’s have more.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:46 pm

Visually it looks quite damn good, I also liked what I've seen of 1.11. The colour palette and what they did change on the CGI are major improvements.

By the way, I think I didn't mention this, but the QR code leads to this:

https://www.khara.co.jp/2023/03/08/pse/

It seems Khara is recruiting for something else already. A translator friend of mine (though he didn't go into details) also said there's "a big Eva announcement" coming soon. A new series?

Personally I think a whole bunch of shorts like these could do well. The timeskip has a lot of unexplored potential (maybe on purpose?), so they could release a whole bunch of stories set it in it just like -46h, like an anthology series. It could easily be directed by other people (take notice again of a Shin Eva deputy director and CSM artist directing this one, under Tsurumaki) and add new material to the NTE canon without being overly experimental for the time being, without needing Anno's direct involvement. It'd be a perfect fit for Anno's ambitions.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:01 pm

I need translated dialogues to understand better this situation, but there are things I've noticed:

Failures of Infinity are copies of Eva-01, but they lost their heads.

The "purification" of the land wasn't instantaneous. This was relatively gradual, it seems to have taken a few days, which explains how there are survivors.

I'm starting to doubt the "purification" of the land was caused by the Third Impact of Lilith/Mark-06, since I really doubt they've been fighting Lilith/Mark-06 for days. It seems this "purification" could be caused by the N3I, but I really need translated dialogues.
Last edited by Konja7 on Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:13 pm

Motion comic for -120h is online too, see 4chan thread.

It's full colour, it's Asuka being stoic and introspective, it's Mari getting up in her grill. You know the score. The only change seems to be Mari singing as she's launched into space (because of course she does) and over the credits. This singing then seemlessly leads into the opening scene of 3.0.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:17 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I need translated dialogues to understand better this situation]

Translator friends have mentioned some disparate lines, like Midori saying she doesn't mind "the captain" is here, so she seemingly admires (or is in mad yuri love with) Asuka. When Asuka rescues Midori, she also tells him that: "You said there's no reason for this to happen, there is. An idiot cause all of this. If you want to hit him, fight on. Fight and live."

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:19 pm

like Midori saying she doesn't mind "the captain" is here, so she seemingly admires (or is in mad yuri love with) Asuka.

Make way upon the river, clear the docks, there's a new ship arriving!
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:20 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Why focus on Midori of all people? Why not show what happened with Misato, Ritsuko, Kaji, Gendo?

I'm kinda wondering now if they're gonna do 10 minute shorts for every single character now. Maybe this was testing the waters.

Honestly I felt like the bridge crew introduced in 3.0 were a bit of wasted potential in that we barely learned anything about them in the movies, so tbh I think it's cool that they're expanding on Midori's character here. And if they're planning on doing these shorts for the rest of the characters, including the main characters, as an anthology kind of thing then I'm all for it. It's probably the best way they could produce more material for Rebuild's continuity, and I'm not gonna pretend like I won't be coming back every time Khara announces they're releasing something new for this series lol.

As for the short itself, indeed was very pretty and while light on explicit worldbuilding it definitely gives us some new stuff to think about so that's nice.

I do like the choice to frame the events of N3I through kid!Midori's eyes to really convey what it would've been like to be on the ground as the world ends (and also get a rare perspective of what it's like for civilians during Evangelion fights)

Also looks like the -120min rumor was just a rumor. No new art unfortunately.
The motion comic ending with a transition into 3.0's opening scene is a cool touch though
Last edited by MsenjaKagami on Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:30 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Translator friends have mentioned some disparate lines, like Midori saying she doesn't mind "the captain" is here, so she seemingly admires (or is in mad yuri love with) Asuka. When Asuka rescues Midori, she also tells him that: "You said there's no reason for this to happen, there is. An idiot cause all of this. If you want to hit him, fight on. Fight and live."

Thanks for the information. This would almost confirm my idea that the "purification" of the land was caused by the N3I.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:48 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Why focus on Midori of all people? Why not show what happened with Misato, Ritsuko, Kaji, Gendo?

Well, it's a short. So why not develop one of those new characters who didn't have time to shine in the movies themselves? We don't want a short about Kaji. We want more from him. Midori is perfect for the job because she is uncharted territory but has a distinct personality (unlike most of the Wille crew).

I like how the Infinities, who look just like Unit 01, tormented her. It makes her resentment for Shinji and Unit 01 more tridimensional.

nerv bae wrote: It didn’t answer deep lore questions

It actually created more questions XD!

Konja7 wrote:Thanks for the information. This would almost confirm my idea that the "purification" of the land was caused by the N3I.

Not necessarily. For one, the short starts with the actual 3I taking place. Even after that's over, it appears to leave persisting effects (just like 2I did in this continuity). We don't know what Shinji's role was in initiating and ending the actual 3I. But the answer lies there.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:13 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Not necessarily. For one, the short starts with the actual 3I taking place. Even after that's over, it appears to leave persisting effects (just like 2I did in this continuity). We don't know what Shinji's role was in initiating and ending the actual 3I. But the answer lies there.

Is it mentioned the actual Third Impact has taken place? In the short we could see the "purification" of the land, but I was doubtful because they didn't show Mark-06/ Lilth.

As you said, it's still a mistery the role of Shinji and Eva-01 in the Third Impact. I guess awakened Eva-01 opening the Gates of Gauff at the end of 2.0 were the trigger of the Third Impact as Kaworu said, but we don't know how this works.

Anyway, it's good to have another character (Asuka) saying Shinji was responsible for the devastated state of the World. That way we could stop the theories that Kaworu was lying when he says the N3I was the trigger for the Third Impact.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:50 pm

Lovely little short with a grand epic feel.

I'm into this world for the human stories and don't necessarily care about the "lore" or the "how X happened" so this was just what I hoped for.

I've only seen a few of the films but I would not be surprised if we learn that Zatoichi in some form was an inspiration for this.
Asuka: The Blind Pilot shows up just when needed, saves the girl and in the process changes who she is for the rest of her life.
Look forward to the subtitles so I know what exactly is being said.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:04 am

I'm kind of glad that it didn't muddy the waters too much or try to cram too complicated a plot into too short a time.

If it was going to be a 10 min thing, he idea of showing the PoV of a random survivor was a good choice.

These days one has got to admire when things have the self-control to actually end.
I kinda don't want more material if it's just gonna be a franchise zombie / not involve Anno.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:17 am

It was really nice, but as expected, short and didn't explain anything.
I don't really understand how the whole corification works; at the beginning it looks like the whole earth is turning red in seconds, but Midori seems to be escaping for what feels like days, and she was probably close to the epicenter in Japan.

I thought the FOI's were living beings aggregating and fusing together, but they seem to pop up randomly all over the place and turn the world red.

This feels like a tease for more things to come!

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:56 am

I've read the subtitles, it doesn't reveal a lot of things, but there is a curious situation:

Midori's dialogue implies her family died in the corification of the land:

Midori: At that time, I didn't have any particular goal in mind. No destination. I was just wandering aimlessly. My mother and father my older brother... Everything had turned red and just dissapeared. All the other adults had vanished as well. Looking back I'm completely alone.

This is curious because she mentioned that Shinji's N3I was responsible for the death of her family in 3.0+1.0.

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:40 am

Yknow I was wondering what Asuka and Mari were doing here in the middle of seemingly nowhere, but honestly the thought didn't occur to me that they were conducting search and rescue. That is nice though to see that in-between all the fighting and stuff they do make it a point to protect people as well. Also interesting to note that apparently at this point WILLE already exists. I always figured the WILLE/NERV split occurred much later, although I suppose at this point we don't necessarily know that WILLE has split off and it could just be a name or designation here.
Last edited by MsenjaKagami on Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:43 am

Those FoIs with goo that turns everything to core makes me remember of Yamashita's early concept art for the Mark.07, when they were suicide bombers filled with a liquid that turn to core anything it touches (he even added that this is NOT how the core erosion spread around the world, which was a weird precision), I wonder if this short is also here to imply that the Mark.07 are modified FoIs.

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Is it mentioned the actual Third Impact has taken place? In the short we could see the "purification" of the land, but I was doubtful because they didn't show Mark-06/ Lilth.

We see the EoE-style core erosion spreading around the world, and also the segmented Moon, while in the stinger of 2.0 we see that there's no core erosion around Tokyo-3 (when the lance of Cassius is descending on Earth) and the moon is still intact behind Kaworu.

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Anyway, it's good to have another character (Asuka) saying Shinji was responsible for the devastated state of the World. That way we could stop the theories that Kaworu was lying when he says the N3I was the trigger for the Third Impact.

She already said that in the -120min.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

swagbuckking1
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby swagbuckking1 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:22 am

You wanted N3I/3I to be explained? Too bad! Have explanation of how pink-haired girl hair go pink instead!
~ Anno (probably)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”