-46h (GENERAL)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: -46h (GENERAL)

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:44 pm

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:So, Tuesday earliest? Does Japan famously never have a retailer crack and accidentally break street date?

Yep, I know of no instance where an anime release leaked early in Japan. They keep things locked down.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:24 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:4.5) During the concurrent Impacts, Shinji in re-awakened Unit 01 is given an opportunity to create tang world, but refuses it in favor of the results we see. I think there's low likelihood that this'll actually be on screen since, after all, Rebuild 2.5 (and thus -46h) isn't supposed to be Shinji's story. But this is the only way I can think of to make sense of Gendo's line that doesn't put EoE and Rebuilds into the same continuity. (Also, pretty sure I read this prediction somewhere else previously, so, not mine originally!)

That would completely destroy all of Shinji's arc after the timeskip if it turns out that he actually saved everyone.
I really think that the simplest explanation is the correct one: that Gendo was talking about EoE, as at this point he and Shinji received the memories of all the other timelines.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:58 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:Supplemental prediction prompted by Gendo's "world you refused" line as mentioned here yesterday:

4.5) During the concurrent Impacts, Shinji in re-awakened Unit 01 is given an opportunity to create tang world, but refuses it in favor of the results we see. I think there's low likelihood that this'll actually be on screen since, after all, Rebuild 2.5 (and thus -46h) isn't supposed to be Shinji's story. But this is the only way I can think of to make sense of Gendo's line that doesn't put EoE and Rebuilds into the same continuity. (Also, pretty sure I read this prediction somewhere else previously, so, not mine originally!)

If I'm not mistaken, that theory is from Reichu. I think it's partially because he/she doesn't like the idea of EoE and Rebuilds being in the same continuity.

It wouldn't make sense that Shinji saves everyone, because it would go agaisnt his arc in the last movies. Also, the Third Impact between 2.0 and 3.0 seems closer to fulfill SEELE's goal in Rebuild movies (not Gendo's).

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:19 pm

On arcs: I'm taking for granted that Shinji has no memory at all of his time merged with Unit 01. Under that constraint, why would being given the tang world opportunity during the time skip destroy Shinji's arc in the later movies? At the beginning of 3.0 he doesn't remember awakening Unit 01 to save Asuka during Operation US, and he wouldn't remember making a tang world choice either. Does it still affect his arc?

On continuities: Sure, if EoE and Rebuild are in the same continuity, then your explanations make sense. But I'm trying to work within the constraint of a premise where they are not in the same continuity. So, if we take it as given that EoE and Rebuild are not in the same continuity, is there any other possible explanation for Gendo's line besides the one I'm advancing? Or is it the only possible explanation?

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:56 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:On arcs: I'm taking for granted that Shinji has no memory at all of his time merged with Unit 01. Under that constraint, why would being given the tang world opportunity during the time skip destroy Shinji's arc in the later movies? At the beginning of 3.0 he doesn't remember awakening Unit 01 to save Asuka during Operation US, and he wouldn't remember making a tang world choice either. Does it still affect his arc?

It will be pretty weird "Shinji saving humanity during the Third Impact" isn't revealed at any point of the story.

It will make humanity blaming Shinji totally wrong, which goes against the story they are telling. WILLE could be jerks, but the story never tries to say Shinji is innocent.

Also, as I said, the Third Impact between 2.0 and 3.0 seems to fulfill SEELE's plan in Rebuilds (evolve humanity into being with FoL but without FoK), which is dfferent from Gendo's goal (the tang world).

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:23 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Also, as I said, the Third Impact between 2.0 and 3.0 seems to fulfill SEELE's plan in Rebuilds (evolve humanity into being with FoL but without FoK), which is dfferent from Gendo's goal (the tang world).

This is a good point; having multiple Impacts serving all of these different goals would be pretty baroque and crazy. :D

AsukaShikinami10
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaShikinami10 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:52 am

I still have my doubts regarding Third Impact going according to SEELE's plan (at least one part of it).

SEELE's plan involved getting rid of all the angels before awakening Lillith to fullfill their Covenant, but Mark.06 didn't kill the 12th angel. In fact, it got possessed by said angel and had no more control of its own actions (or at least it seemed so).

I think SEELE was aiming for Mark.06 to eat/absorb the angel for it to awaken, but things went off the rails and the 12th angel took control of Mark.06.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:11 am

And Kaworu/Kaji were in charge of Nerv at that time, I don't think they would have gone along with the plan. This third impact looks more like screw up salvaged at the last minute.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:40 am

There's also how Gendo said how "very soon" their plan would come to fruition as Unit 01 was awakened at the end of 2.0, fast forward to 3.0 and 14 years later, and they are still at the same step, which does imply that something has gone very wrong for everyone somewhere..
There's also the giant shield around Lilith's Chalber that doesn't seem like something SEELE or Gendo put themselves.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:05 am

View Original PostAsukaShikinami10 wrote:I still have my doubts regarding Third Impact going according to SEELE's plan (at least one part of it).

In general, I feel that Third Impact between 2.0 and 3.0 was different from the original plan SEELE had.

I'm pretty sure SEELE originally planned for Kaworu as Mark-06's pilot and use the four Wunders (with four Rei clones as pilots). That's why I feel like SEELE using an autonomous Mark-06 and the 12th Angel was a situation they were pushed into.

That said, the Failures of Infinity seems to imply the Third Impact was really fulfillig SEELE's plan of evolving humans at first but it failed at the end.

We don't exactly know why it failed. Was the Third Impact being stopped the reason? Or the 12th Angel regained control and wanted to destroy humanity?

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:14 am

The bluray arrives on thursday! Informations should soon be available, some people will probably get it today.

I stay on the safe side and bet on a frustrating sub 10 minutes length.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:05 am

View Original PostJinroh wrote:I stay on the safe side and bet on a frustrating sub 10 minutes length.

I'm too, like 90% sure this will be less 10 mins. Prove me wrong Khara!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

2Lacissal2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 2Lacissal2 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:35 am

Final guess: around 6 mins 30

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:54 am

I think it will be a glorified -120min type of thing. You know, same idea, but in animated form (quick thing showing a bit more about Asuka, the most popular character at the moment). Also, more supplemental material for Q (apparently the center piece of this tetralogy).
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:17 am

Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: -46h (GENERAL) [SPOILER]

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:31 pm

I'm not sure what to expect but if I am not compelled to go "WAT." at least once I will be disappointed.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:05 pm

Some people in Japan have the blu-ray now, so keep your heads up everyone.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:23 pm

^^^^
Really?

I really want to know spoilers soon. I was always curious about the events of the Third Impact between 2.0 and 3.0.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:39 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I really want to know spoilers soon. I was always curious about the events of the Third Impact between 2.0 and 3.0.

Keep your hopes in check, there's no way a flashback is going to elaborate on it in details.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:52 pm

^^^^
It probably won't show us the secret stuff like Kaji and Kaworu's shenanigans or Mari's interrogation, maybe we'll get some tidbit on the four Reis if Misato or Asuka met them. But since this short seems to be framed as a flash-back from Asuka and Midori's perspective, it'll probably be about the moment Actual Third Impact happened, so if at least we get some precision on wtf was happening with Mark.06, Lilith and the 12th Angel and what role could Unit 01 had player in this clusterfuch, that will already be great.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”