-46h (GENERAL)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

Re: -46h (GENERAL)

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:05 pm

View Original PostAdam wrote:I have a globe standing next to me right here in my room, and I can tell you, at this angle, the other end of the cross could never even be close to reaching Japan. Australia at best, but not even that, I'm afraid.

It could reach Japan if you assume it is several thousand miles long, and further assume 1) it can pass through the Earth in a straight line or 2) it can curve along the surface of the Earth.

View Original PostAdam wrote:Have we got any nice and clear ground zero schematics here anyway, like it was the case with the Black Moon in 3.0? I think not, and if so then I missed it. We got this South Pole topography thread, which also didn't come to a real conclusion:
post/933789/Topography-of-the-south-pole/#933789
This is not the threat you were referrint to above?

No, I was referring to a different thread. The little white rectangle in every quote is a link to the quoted post, in the thread where it appears. Click it!

SPOILER: Show

Navigating EGF got so much easier for me after I learned this. :D

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:48 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:
View Original PostAdam#939079 wrote:I have a globe standing next to me right here in my room, and I can tell you, at this angle, the other end of the cross could never even be close to reaching Japan. Australia at best, but not even that, I'm afraid.

It could reach Japan if you assume it is several thousand miles long, and further assume 1) it can pass through the Earth in a straight line or 2) it can curve along the surface of the Earth.

View Original PostAdam#939079 wrote:Have we got any nice and clear ground zero schematics here anyway, like it was the case with the Black Moon in 3.0? I think not, and if so then I missed it. We got this South Pole topography thread, which also didn't come to a real conclusion:
post/933789/Topography-of-the-south-pole/#933789
This is not the threat you were referrint to above?

No, I was referring to a different thread. The little white rectangle in every quote is a link to the quoted post, in the thread where it appears. Click it!

I think you're looking too far while there's a far simpler solution: the light cross in the -46h screenshot is either the one when the 11th Angel is killed or one of the giant EoE-style crosses that appear all over the world during the Actual Third Impact, like we see on the screenshot with the satellite, the same crosses that appear fossilized by the time of 3.0.
As for the fifth cross in the South Pole? That the fifth Adam's cross, the one that will later be transformed into Unit 13, as simple as that.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Adam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adam » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:01 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:No, I was referring to a different thread. The little white rectangle in every quote is a link to the quoted post, in the thread where it appears. Click it!

Wow, there is such a function! :D

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I think you're looking too far while there's a far simpler solution: the light cross in the -46h screenshot is either the one when the 11th Angel is killed or one of the giant EoE-style crosses that appear all over the world during the Actual Third Impact, like we see on the screenshot with the satellite, the same crosses that appear fossilized by the time of 3.0.
As for the fifth cross in the South Pole? That the fifth Adam's cross, the one that will later be transformed into Unit 13, as simple as that.

About the cross, the angle looks different in different shots. All in all, the idea that it could be connected to Lilith came from the similarity to Lilith's fallen cross in 3.0, didnt it? And Lilith has died after all. The main Adam isn't really dead, is he? Still, the 5th cross can NOT be seen in half of the shots in 3.0+1.0 (the ones where only 4 crosses stick out of the rainbow gate), like WTF?!? This whole south pole setup doesn't make any sense except for it being a homage to Ultraman!

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:51 pm

View Original PostAdam wrote:About the cross, the angle looks different in different shots. All in all, the idea that it could be connected to Lilith came from the similarity to Lilith's fallen cross in 3.0, didnt it? And Lilith has died after all. The main Adam isn't really dead, is he? Still, the 5th cross can NOT be seen in half of the shots in 3.0+1.0 (the ones where only 4 crosses stick out of the rainbow gate), like WTF?!? This whole south pole setup doesn't make any sense except for it being a homage to Ultraman!

I think the idea is that the tilted cross corresponds to the 5th Adams, and it's tilted precisely because the Adams in question "isn't quite dead" (i.e., the cross didn't rise fully), however that is supposed to work.

Given the heavy tilt, I don't see why the base should be visible along the other 4? IIRC, the upper part shows close to the other 4, but the base lies far, far away? (unless I'm missing something).

---

The next idea contradicts everything we have seen on screen regarding "cross explosions" (whether they correspond to an Angle dying or not), It is possible that these crosses originate at the head, and "project" (grow) downward towards the base, while rotatating from an oblique position all the wat to "upright"?

So during 2I, each of the five crosses initially "spawns" somewhere high in the sky above the South Pole, and gradually grows (extends) its "pole" section downwards, in a diagonal direction (not completely vertically) until it reaches the ground. From there on, the base point slowly moves along the ground, seeking towards the epicenter, while the cross's "head" and "arms" parts rise even higher, but staying above the same initial point on the ground. Four crosses made it all the way to the "upright position", but the 5th didn't... It is quite involded of an idea, but explains the disparate base point of the 5th cross as a "partially erect" outlier...

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:02 pm

I'll cross quote some of this stuff over in the fifth cross topic so we don't get too far into the weeds in this -46h general topic.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:15 am

VAs for Asuka and Midori invited, so this pretty much confirms the short is about them:

Don't like the precedent this is setting by showing the short before 3.0...
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:56 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:VAs for Asuka and Midori invited, so this pretty much confirms the short is about them:

Yeah. This seems to confirm that Midori is the young girl we will see in the flashbacks.

It's interesting that she seems to have flashbacks about the Third Impact when her main problem in 3.0+1.0 is about her parents death.

Honestly, I'm starting to suspect the event called N3I is the Third Impact between 2.0 and 3.0. Technically, that Third Impact was stopped too (even if it has terrible consequences).

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:23 am

N3I is what Shinji did at the end of Ha, no. Between Ha and Q is third impact proper
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:01 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:N3I is what Shinji did at the end of Ha, no. Between Ha and Q is third impact proper

Are we sure? I mean, the Third Impact between Ha and Q was also stopped.

In 3.0+1.0, Touji and Kensuke speak about the N3I as if it was the worse thing that happened. The only time Kensuke mentioned Third Impact is to mention that Kaji's sacrifice was necessary to stop it.

Even Kaworu's words in 3.0 aren't so clear:

Once awakened, Eva Unit 01 opened the Gates of Guf and acted as trigger to bring about the Third Impact. The Lilin call it the Near Third Impact. You were the key to it all.

What is "it"? The Awakening of Eva-01? The Third Impact?

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:49 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Don't like the precedent this is setting by showing the short before 3.0...

How come? Haven't we always suspected that the feature title "-46h" indicates that the feature will include a setting days prior to 3.0 (with likely flashbacks), just like the manga title "-120 min." indicated that the manga included a setting hours prior to 3.0 (with flashbacks)?

Konja7 wrote:Are we sure? I mean, the Third Impact between Ha and Q was also stopped.

It's hard to accept the idea that we've fundamentally misunderstood the sequence and naming of N3I and Third Impact!

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:23 pm

I don't have the exact line off the top of my head, but it's the thing about Kaji's sacrifice, and how 3I was only paused by Cassius, not actually prevented.
3I is the continuation of 3I, but as far as disaster events go, they are separate
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:41 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:How come? Haven't we always suspected that the feature title "-46h" indicates that the feature will include a setting days prior to 3.0 (with likely flashbacks), just like the manga title "-120 min." indicated that the manga included a setting hours prior to 3.0 (with flashbacks)?

I just mean I can already see fans telling newcomers to watch them that way, which would just ruin a lot of 3.0 and Shin.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:47 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I just mean I can already see fans telling newcomers to watch them that way, which would just ruin a lot of 3.0 and Shin.

Eh, I don't really see an issue with it. If nothing else it'll stop the "what is happening in 3.0!?" nonsense that people always complain about when they watch that movie.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:37 pm

Well I think they're wrong for complaining. :sweatdrop:
I have several issues with what I think this short is gonna be, but not much sense in making a huge post about it when it's coming soon. But basically I don't see how "filling the blanks" will in any way add to Rebuild, and not detract from it.

OTOH I'm hype for another beautifully animated work and more Asuka.

Adam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adam » Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:55 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostBlockio#939117 wrote:N3I is what Shinji did at the end of Ha, no. Between Ha and Q is third impact proper

Are we sure? I mean, the Third Impact between Ha and Q was also stopped.

In 3.0+1.0, Touji and Kensuke speak about the N3I as if it was the worse thing that happened. The only time Kensuke mentioned Third Impact is to mention that Kaji's sacrifice was necessary to stop it.

Even Kaworu's words in 3.0 aren't so clear:

Once awakened, Eva Unit 01 opened the Gates of Guf and acted as trigger to bring about the Third Impact. The Lilin call it the Near Third Impact. You were the key to it all.

What is "it"? The Awakening of Eva-01? The Third Impact?

When Gendo tells about what has been cleansed during each Impact (ocean, soil, souls) in 3.0+1.0, footage of Lilith being beheaded is played while he mentions 3rd Impact. So in any way, this would be (proper) 3I from a lilin POV.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:21 am

I don't really understand this thing about Shinji being the trigger, maybe it'll be somewhat explained in -46h. We see that every time the impact is resumed (near third, fourth, final), it needs a new trigger (an angel sacrifice to awaken an eva). There's no reason third impact proper would be any different, so I don't understand Shinji's role in all this.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:59 am

View Original PostAdam wrote:When Gendo tells about what has been cleansed during each Impact (ocean, soil, souls) in 3.0+1.0, footage of Lilith being beheaded is played while he mentions 3rd Impact. So in any way, this would be (proper) 3I from a lilin POV.

I know Gendo called that event as Third Impact. In 3.0, Kaworu also called the event that turns the Earth red as Third Impact.

I just suspect Lilins calls that Third Impact as Near Third Impact for some reason (maybe because it was stopped).

I mean, these are some phrases characters says about the Near Third Impact in 3.0+1.0:

Kensuke: At that time, I didn't think the old man, who survived the Near Third Impact, would die like that in an accident.

Touji: We survived even the Near Third Impact. Have trust in our own luck and in Misato's Wille.

if the N3I is just the destruction at the end of 2.0, it's really weird Touji choose to mention the Near Third Impact as the big thing they survived. When Touji mentioned this phrase, Village 3 was being attacked by the Fourth Impact and protected by the pillars (a situation that should remind him of the Third Impact).

ChrisTamv
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ChrisTamv » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:45 am

View Original PostJinroh wrote:I don't really understand this thing about Shinji being the trigger, maybe it'll be somewhat explained in -46h. We see that every time the impact is resumed (near third, fourth, final), it needs a new trigger (an angel sacrifice to awaken an eva). There's no reason third impact proper would be any different, so I don't understand Shinji's role in all this.

I think I said that in a thread dedicated to this specific subject too, but based on everything we know so far, Shinji most definitely was not involved in actual Third Impact and could possibly had already been launched to space by Seele by that point. Moreover, we have no idea about how that would technically work if that was the case. Every single character throughout 3.0 and 3.0+1.0 that blames Shinji for what happened refers to Near Third Impact specifically every single time this subject comes up.

The only exception to this is Kaworu, who on the other hand most definitely is lying when he calls Shinji the "trigger" of actual Third Impact. Just like he did in the original, where he "betrayed" Shinji as he says so himself by not revealing his actual identity and goals to him. In Rebuild, his main character conflict, as explicitly unveiled in the finale of 3.0+1.0, is all about how his actual intentions were never really to make Shinji happy, but for his happiness to make Kaworu happy as well. He's not a bad person, but his intentions were ultimately selfish, and he basically used Shinji as a tool to that end, as he himself says both in 3.0 and in 3.0+1.0, he "misunderstood his feelings".

This context renders the whole "Kaworu is lying" interpretation as extremely likely. Until that point in 3.0, Shinji was mostly frustrated and disoriented after coming out of Unit 01. Kaworu's talk of him being the trigger the first time the idea that he supposedly caused all of this destruction himself really sinks in, which as we can see scars him greatly, only to give Kaworu the opportunity to then present his plan as his only chance of retribution at that point. A plan which by the way he doesn't go into any further detail about, as it most probably involves causing another Impact with Shinji at its center, something he would had never agreed to do after everything that happened. And so, Shinji has no reason not to, but also no option but to agree to Kaworu's plans, to which he knows almost nothing about, mainly because of the feelings of responsibility Kaworu filled him with and which he didn't have moments prior. All in all, emotional manipulation from Kaworu via lying and omitting important information.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:56 am

View Original PostChrisTamv wrote:The only exception to this is Kaworu, who on the other hand most definitely is lying when he calls Shinji the "trigger" of actual Third Impact. Just like he did in the original, where he "betrayed" Shinji as he says so himself by not revealing his actual identity and goals to him. In Rebuild, his main character conflict, as explicitly unveiled in the finale of 3.0+1.0, is all about how his actual intentions were never really to make Shinji happy, but for his happiness to make Kaworu happy as well. He's not a bad person, but his intentions were ultimately selfish, and he basically used Shinji as a tool to that end, as he himself says both in 3.0 and in 3.0+1.0, he "misunderstood his feelings".

Kaworu wasn't lying. Humanity blames Shinji for the current state the World. In 3.0+1.0, Midori says this to Shinji:

Midori: "You're a disease! Do you know what humanity's been through thanks to you and your Near Third Impact!? This is all your fault, you and your father...! I won't let you do it!"

I's true that Shinji is blamed for the N3I, but the N3I seems to have a connection with the current state of the World (we just don't know what is the connection). So, Shinji is blamed for the state of the World as Kaworu said.

Another proof that Kaworu wasn't lying is because he's the only character to explain to the audience what is the N3I:

Other characters don't explain what is the N3I, they only mention that N3I had horrible consequences. So, the story works with the idea that Kaworu's explanation was the truth.

PS: I don't think Shinji will be against to use an Impact to repair the World, but I'm not even sure an Impact is really necessary for this. Shinji doesn't need to start a Sixth Impact (?) to repair the World in 3.0+1.0 (he just uses Eva-01 and the Spear of Gaius).

PS2: Kaworu's wish was selfish, but he doesn't see Shinji as a tool. Kaworu wants to makes Shinji happy, because he sees himself reflected on Shinji (the reason why making Shinji happy is a way of making himself happy).
Last edited by Konja7 on Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:50 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Once awakened, Eva Unit 01 opened the Gates of Guf and acted as trigger to bring about the Third Impact. The Lilin call it the Near Third Impact. You were the key to it all.

I see it more like "acted as trigger to bring about the Third Impact", but was averted in the last minute, with the final result being a Near-Third Impact, while a proper one happened later

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”