How do you feel about NTE? + Rank the movies!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: How do you feel about NTE? + Rank the movies!

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:02 am

View Original PostGendo's Glasses wrote:I had very little problems with the NTE but the final film really left me thinking that they needed more of a plan and less of a jarring shift between the third and fourth film. 3.0+1.01 seemed like it was walking back a lot of the more unsettling parts of the Rebuilds (Touji dead, no magical fixes, Kaworu is shifty, there is no overarching SEELE plan) and I'm really waiting to see someone provide a reading of the Rebuilds as a whole given how much the last film seemed to be going 'Well, actually...'

Although I'm pretty sure there are some changes between 3.0 and 3.0+1.0, I think there are other aspects really complement.

In 3.0, Shinji is "punished", because he tries to escape from the pain and responsability. Instead, in 3.0+1.0, Shinji takes responsability and accept the pain, that's why Shinji could defeat Gendo and restore Earth.

Also, I don't think Kaworu is shifty in 3.0. They likely always planned him to be on humanity side. His vague explanations exist because Anno can't really explain all the events between N3I and Third Impact in 3.0.

The big shift is between 2.0 and 3.0. Anno has confirmed that 3.0 would originally be a movie directly after 2.0, where Shinji won't appear. That's why so much seem to happen between the N3I and the Third Impact.

bogusman
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby bogusman » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:35 am

Great art, but overall, not impressed.

Top of the list in rebuild series. But still way below EoE. Not to mention the manga, it's the best.

It might seems and feels awesome, beautiful and happy but somehow it just feels like it was made as a happy escape route.
Yea...

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:25 am

SPOILER: Show
View Original Postbogusman wrote:Great art, but overall, not impressed.

Top of the list in rebuild series. But still way below EoE. Not to mention the manga, it's the best.

It might seems and feels awesome, beautiful and happy but somehow it just feels like it was made as a happy escape route.

As opposed to the manga which was an even happier escape route?
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

bogusman
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby bogusman » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:14 pm

I'm not seeing the manga as "happy" though
Yea...

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:26 pm

View Original Postbogusman wrote:I'm not seeing the manga as "happy" though

Really? It seems a extremely happy ending for me. I remember that was the feeling I have when I read it.

bogusman
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby bogusman » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:34 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Really? It seems a extremely happy ending for me. I remember that was the feeling I have when I read it.

I felt more like hope and open opportunities.
Yea...

T. K. Simon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby T. K. Simon » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:38 pm

Shin is the best. but I'm still confused ...

how a loop starts and when it ends?

Continuity and direct sequel are different?

Why are they on the EoE beach?

does this affect the continuity of nge and eoe?

my mind is going to explode :???:

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:15 pm

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostT. K. Simon wrote:Shin is the best. but I'm still confused ...

how a loop starts and when it ends?

Continuity and direct sequel are different?

Why are they on the EoE beach?

does this affect the continuity of nge and eoe?

my mind is going to explode :???:

I think it's best to think of it as 4th wall breaks. Clips of EoE are incorporated into the film. The EoE beach, or Ritsuko on an orange backdrop firing a pistol at Gendo, are just callbacks. We understand that the story is 'the continuation' of NGE/EoE, a looping story, as Kaworu says, in the sense that it keeps being retold (by Anno, Sadamoto, etc). It doesn't have to literally impact on the continuity, and there'll never be any official answer about whether or not or how it does.

View Original PostManureTruck wrote:edit 2: Oh, and don't even get me started on the very shit dubtitles. They couldn't even edit the timings to feel more natural! It was 100% pure CC dubtitle with no non-CC option. I will re-watch when a proper, high quality fansub comes out with correct translations and reasses my opinion on the writing (although the wonky narrative can't be fixed at this point). I will always be INFURIATED by lazy subtitle jobs from professional publishers. I just don't understand what possesses companies to do this. Providing an english dub is NOT a replacement for correct, well-edited NON-CC English subtitles (CC track should be separate).

There is a non-CC English subtitles option on Prime, and it's a different translation to the CC 'dubtitles' track.

Instead of double posting, please edit your existing post if you want to add something to it - staff

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

I think the biggest problem of the movie is the storytelling+character

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:40 pm

Just finished it. I think it was fine, action and overall plot was good, but the storytelling has a lot of problem. As well as the characters.

Too many long direct dialog to explain what happened these years in the first half, as well as Gendo explaining his past. It might be ok in a novel, but not a movie. Especially the 2nd half could use Shinji's own view angle to actually explore his father's past. Rather than let Gendo speak all along. It would have been a much better way.

The characters are also like serving the main plot instead of got their own soul. How did Toji and Kensuke grow like that? We never got it. Like Toji didn't even worry for his sister when he was holding his wife. I think it's out of his character.

Kaji. Jr was simply a plot device and made Misato a terrible mother. I don't understand why didn't Misato or Ritsuko ask their fellow to drop the gun as well, it could have been avoided totally.

Misato's character was greatly wasted, she could have made a strong impact against Shinji/Gendo. Because she was similar to them, but was able to walk out of it. She gave so much care to Shinji because of she saw her own shadow on him, which is totally opposite to Gendo's doing. Her care and love was also what they wanted. She should have played a bigger part on Gendo's change. We saw her action but the connection wasn't shown strong enough.

I'm moving this thread here. It's the right place for this sort of thing - BernardoCairo

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:01 pm

3.0+1.0 is way too fresh for me to consider ranking the films. The second half of the movie is so dense & packed with moments & ideas. Need a few more revisits.

I will say with absolute confidence that everything in the Village is my favorite chapter in all the Rebuilds if not Anno's entire body of work!

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: I think the biggest problem of the movie is the storytelling+character

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:21 pm

View Original PostSlowpokeking wrote:Just finished it. I think it was fine, action and overall plot was good, but the storytelling has a lot of problem. As well as the characters.

Well, Anno showed some interest in exploring untold stories during the timeskip, so let's hope it can solve some of your concerns.

Tilikvm
Embryo

Re: I think the biggest problem of the movie is the storytelling+character

•      
  •      

Postby Tilikvm » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:36 pm

View Original PostSlowpokeking wrote:Just finished it. I think it was fine, action and overall plot was good, but the storytelling has a lot of problem. As well as the characters.

For me the movie it's pretty character driven and has made me feel for this characters like probably not even the original series made me feel. For me the movie it's a beautiful love letter for this characters and the world of Eva.

It could have been longer, better and whatnot, but I'm superhappy with the quality of it.

In a world in which so many acclaimed pieces of art completely fail at delivering a satisfactory ending, I'm so happy to have seen how good the ending of Evangelion is.

It just came to my mind that EVA has 4 canon endings (TV, TEoE, Manga & Rebuild). All of them are at least good to me and are quite different but at the same time sharing a common vision.

EVA as a franchise has made 4 good finals while so many other great franchises can't even make just one and they taint their legacy and overall quality by not being capable of landing probably the most important part of any story: it's ending.

Isn't it funny?

Do not double post, unless it's necessary - JoelcrNeto

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:44 pm

If NGE+EoE is the dourly cynical postmodern question, NTE is the post-postmodern/Newly Sincere redemptive response.

I'll echo a lot of the praise for the village sequence; I thought it was the best part and almost reached some of the emotional heights of the original series.

NTE doesn't supplant the original but is a great complement to it.
Last edited by evaunit13 on Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i want rebuild

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:46 pm

2.22 is still my favorite of the films. Although I think the last movie is satisfying enough to rank a solid two or three on a list.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:25 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I will say with absolute confidence that everything in the Village is my favorite chapter in all the Rebuilds if not Anno's entire body of work!

Almost every shot is prime wallpaper material so to speak. Just beautiful animation.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

ManureTruck
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ManureTruck » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:33 pm

View Original PostChrad wrote:There is a non-CC English subtitles option on Prime, and it's a different translation to the CC 'dubtitles' track.

I will admit that even though I have a Prime account (ever since Prime was a thing) and started watching on there, it almost immediately started pausing and buffering constantly. I usually rarely have that issue with Prime - I have a 500 Mbit connection (50 MB/s) and 1-10 millisecond ping to everything in my city (that I've tried) including stuff at the local datacenter, where I know my ISP has caching servers for popular streaming services. I don't know if it was because a ton of people on my ISP were watching it all at once or what, or maybe it was a problem with the servers closest to me. Either way I wasn't going to deal with that. Without feeling guilty (since I have a prime account and tried to watch it on there but they didn't want to let me do it smoothly), I went and got a rip of it that had all the subtitle tracks in every language, and every audio track, but they probably only ripped the CC EN track instead of both EN.

That'll teach me!

That said, I'm still gonna wait for a proper fansub before watching it again. Hardcore fans just do it better. Labor of love vs profit motive. For example, the 4chan EoE subtitles (with tons of different contributors) being vastly superior in every way to Amanda Winn-Lee's absolute clusterfuck translation/scripting on the Manga Ent release.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:47 pm

Yeah, I watched the non-CC subs, but I was left feeling like I'll need to hunt down fansubs when they come out just for comparison. I thought Khara had a stranglehold on subs for literalism and accuracy w/ an in-house translator advising, but does anyone know if it was Khara-derived subs or not for sure?
Après moi le déluge!

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:51 pm

My first watch was Japanese+Japanese subs, then I rewatched some of the exposition scenes and action setpieces with English subs and felt a lot of nuance was missing or mismatched.
i want rebuild

ManureTruck
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ManureTruck » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:57 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:Yeah, I watched the non-CC subs, but I was left feeling like I'll need to hunt down fansubs when they come out just for comparison. I thought Khara had a stranglehold on subs for literalism and accuracy w/ an in-house translator advising, but does anyone know if it was Khara-derived subs or not for sure?

Kanemitsu is a good translator, but I have no idea if he had final editorial say on 3.0+1.01 or if he even had input. I guess we'll see.

Being overly literal doesn't always make good subs either. There's always a balance to be struck. The 4chan EoE subs are a great example of finding that balance.

evaunit13 saying that a lot was lost seems to indicate that Kanemitsu may have not been able to work on it, or he did but many of his decisions were overridden in editing.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:00 pm

View Original PostManureTruck wrote:Being overly literal doesn't always make good subs either. There's always a balance to be struck. The 4chan EoE subs are a great example of finding that balance.

I agree, but my recollection of the Netflix situation is fans found it overly literal, and that was due to Khara advising it (and some were saying, being overly controlling) of how literal it was. Some things in the non-CC subs struck me as not overly literal so it made me wonder if Khara'd become more lenient or not, or were merely less involved. Basically I went in assuming it was the usual subjects of late who did the sub work but now I dunno.
Après moi le déluge!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”