Operation 0706 is to be continued on July 6

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Re: Operation 0706 is to be continued on July 6

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:39 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
Well, I don't think adult Shinji is supposed to be so good looking.

With Gendo as a dad and Yui as a mom, how can you expect him to not be good looking? :tongue:
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:59 am

Beg to disagree on which guy had the best glow up. Kensuke looks like a creepy teacher, Shinji's head becomes a billboard, Kaworu still has sonic the hedgehog hair. Toji, however, is a dilf.
Après moi le déluge!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:03 am

So ive found it on dailymotion. The whole sequence goes rather quickly, one can understand why Shinji would be overwhelmed by the sheer surreality of it all, like it's all just more & more noise to him.
Rei meanwhile is paying rapt attention to everything, but also gives off some uncertain/ non-confident vibes, she made the big decision to flee and now there's this big world out there that she never knew about.
Ppl have likened her more to a kid but she actually asks more sophisticated questions than that & has more subdued responses. She's rather a bit like someone who fled from a poor and/or totalitarian country, like she just came out of north korea, or a crazy cult setting - my parents tell me that when they first came from Cuba, they would get super excited about things like cheap bread and tomatoes, their friends had to tell them it's ok to complain about the government out loud, & in the first few years they would basically never get tired of watching me & my brother drink milk (it was strictly rationed & ppl agonized over having to split what little they got between their kids)

Lot of 1st person or "over the shoulders" shots.

Touji sounds pretty similar only slightly less over the top (It's so cute how he is so proud to show off his family tho. Tsubame and any siblings she might have are gonna be subjected to so many dad jokes...), but adult Hikari sounds rather different.

Also, Kensuke announces his arrival by gifting Touji & Hikari's dad a bottle of booze. (ie, they are drunk for the latter half of the conversation) I wonder if he's the town's moonshine brewer.

I like how the dish ReiQ is holding has a slight chip in it, everything looks particular and used.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:16 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Lot of 1st person or "over the shoulders" shots.

And over-the-faucet and over-the-telephone shots.
Après moi le déluge!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:45 am

I do love how Touji brags about his wife & kid tho & is super proud of them.

I mean in a sane world where everyone who is in a relationship has it because they want to, this would be super obvious & nothing extraordinary but too many guys out there calling the wife "ball & chain" & showing no interest in their kids & just seem to have got married & got kids out of social obligation or as a status symbol, so guys who actually like their families instantly become 20% more attractive.

I mean I thought it was cute in the script but hearing his voice does make it hit on a more immediate level.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:46 pm

Man, that was a lot more worldbuilding than I expected in just 6 minutes.
Rei 6 got some minor development too already.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:19 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:Beg to disagree on which guy had the best glow up. Kensuke looks like a creepy teacher, Shinji's head becomes a billboard, Kaworu still has sonic the hedgehog hair. Toji, however, is a dilf.

Of all the adult boys, I feel that Shinji is the more "generic" looking one: the only striking physical detail he has is his dark blue eyes, and they are less visible because his eyes are smaller as an adult. Change his eye-color for brown and you could put him in the background of any anime taking place in modern Japan without looking out of place, (the salaryman outfit doesn't help matters)I wonder if that was made on purpose by Khara.

Even as a kid, what set him apart from was his blue eyes and the fact that he was rather short and scrawny for a 14 years old boy, give him a growth spurt and well... there's no much more that stands out.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Also, Kensuke announces his arrival by gifting Touji & Hikari's dad a bottle of booze. (ie, they are drunk for the latter half of the conversation) I wonder if he's the town's moonshine brewer.

I wonder if there's a job of "scavenger" in the village: theoretically, if you go in cored area and take back an object with you, it should revert to its original state, no?
So maybe Kensuke grabbed a bottle from one of his travels in cored land and brought it to the Suzuharas?

That could had been a job Shinji and Rei Q could had taken had they stayed longer in the Village or even settled, since both seems naturally resistant to L-Barrier. Shinji would had been especially suited for it after the curse of Eva completely affect him, since by then he would had (maybe) an even greater resistance to L-Barrier, would only need to drink water to sustain himself and wouldn't need to sleep anymore, meaning that he could travel very long distances to get things that the Village may need but couldn't reach before (or maybe "luxury" items, such as foods of electronic devices). The only limit would be how much he can carry.
And yes now I'm imagining Shinji in Death Stranding's protagonist outfit. :tongue:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:28 pm

Kendrix wrote:The whole sequence goes rather quickly, one can understand why Shinji would be overwhelmed by the sheer surreality of it all, like it's all just more & more noise to him.

Yeah, I agree. That scene is fast paced as all hell. Things keep happening and, like the pilots, we're completely lost. It feels like this is normality and we are the ones who are not used to it. I like it. It's simple and conveys the passage of time. As for Shinji, I'm not sure if he is necessarily overwhelmed. He is in the same catatonic state as when Asuka went out of her way to pick him up. If anything, he's even worse (for feeling a burden in his friends' lives). It seems to me that he doesn't want to interact or acknowledge this new environment at all. Shinji can only think about himself and how he dropped the ball.
Anyway, your description of Ayanami's case was perfectly on point.

Kendrix wrote:I do love how Touji brags about his wife & kid tho & is super proud of them.

Yeah, it's good to see that Toji has become a happy adult. He seems responsible and reasonable (which is almost a unique trait among Evangelion's cast). It's still sad to think he never piloted an EVA or played a more significant role in NTE. That said, I'm fine with what we got.

ElMariachi wrote:Shinji would had been especially suited for it after the curse of Eva completely affect him, since by then he would had (maybe) an even greater resistance to L-Barrier, would only need to drink water to sustain himself and wouldn't need to sleep anymore, meaning that he could travel very long distances

That's actually quite fitting! It sounds like an interesting job, to be honest (even if the curse, by itself, is horrific).
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:45 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Of all the adult boys, I feel that Shinji is the more "generic" looking one: the only striking physical detail he has is his dark blue eyes, and they are less visible because his eyes are smaller as an adult. Change his eye-color for brown and you could put him in the background of any anime taking place in modern Japan without looking out of place, (the salaryman outfit doesn't help matters)I wonder if that was made on purpose by Khara.

I think it was made on purpose by Khara.

Shinji was always the "average guy" in Evangelion. So, they want to mantain that aspect as an adult.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:52 pm

Younger Shinji always did have that subtle frail, ethereal quality - not so much that he couldn't appear bratty when needed, but just a wee bit.
There was a swarm of fangirls in 1.0, even if the crushes of his fellow pilots could be chalked up to all the life-&-death situations.

That's kinda gotten lost since they made him all tall & the eyes less emphasized, though it makes sense if they meant to convey that he's got his shit somewhat together now & is living a peaceful normal life. (though his expressions still have a bit of that cute dorky quality even in the last scene)

Honestly I'd say that out of the 5 pilots, grownup Mari turned out the prettiest but 30% of that is her really nice nail polish.
Eventually, a character sheet for Big Rei's design might emerge where you can properly see her face (the artwork that shows it has her looking pretty samey & not in the more detailed art style of Big Asuka & Big Mari that really emphasized their lips.)

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:28 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Honestly I'd say that out of the 5 pilots, grownup Mari turned out the prettiest but 30% of that is her really nice nail polish.
Eventually, a character sheet for Big Rei's design might emerge where you can properly see her face (the artwork that shows it has her looking pretty samey & not in the more detailed art style of Big Asuka & Big Mari that really emphasized their lips.)

That would mean adult Asuka and adult Mari only look different due to the detailed artwork. They would look pretty samey in regular artwork.

I want to see adult Rei with open eyes at some point.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:00 pm

Shinji always looked good, in my opinion. That said, he was never a handsome guy like Kaji or Gendo. He sports a "non striking" design, per say. I mean, he looks like any other kid. Honestly, I think that was the idea. As some of you have pointed out, what sets him apart are his eyes (which are unusual in the Japanese context). Still, he was never meant to be a "petard". Adult Shinji's design follows the same idea. He looks like any other salaryman.
I would say Kensuke turned out to be the best looking adult. Toji aged a bit, but still has style and an energetic design (he does look like a father). So he takes second place. Shinji doesn't look remarkable and occupies the third position. It's hard to say anything about Kaworu. Frankly, he hasn't changed much.
In the female spectrum, both Asuka and Mari became very beautiful adults. I would say Asuka looks younger and more energetic. Mari gives me a "nanny" vibe, to be honest (lol). I can't really say much about Ayanami (for the same reason as Kaworu). Hikari is truly cute, though! One of my favorite designs, indeed.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:21 pm

I think the most good looking male adult is Kaworu. Yeah, he is pretty samey, but he was always designed to be the "pretty boy".

All the female adults look beautiful, so it's difficult to decide. I should say I really like the long-haired adult Rei in the artwork.

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:That said, he was never a handsome guy like Kaji or Gendo.

I'm the only one who never seen Gendo as a handsome guy. He always seemed to me the "old guy" (even in moments where he's younger)..
Last edited by Konja7 on Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:09 pm

Shinji's simple design to me is one of the best, of course he is not as beautiful as Kaworu and Kaji, for example. His design is a "masculine variation" of Nadia.
However, that doesn't mean that the animators don't work hard on his appearance:
SPOILER: Show

To me Shinji is a cute boy, and now in his adult version, as I had said on another occasion, I can see a physical resemblance to Anno.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:09 pm

Konja7 wrote:I think the most good looking male adult is Kaworu. Yeah, he is pretty samey, but he was always designed to be the "pretty boy".

Yeah, Kaworu was always meant to be "pretty". Honestly, he looks good as ever. That said, he still looks "boyish" when compared to Kensuke and Toji. He has a nice and confident smile, though. Also, he has good taste in clothes (which he apparently shares with Asuka).

Konja7 wrote:I'm the only one who never seen Gendo as a handsome guy. He always seemed to me the "old guy" (even in moments where he's younger).

I always saw young Gendo as a cool looking guy (that's mostly because of his neat facial expressions). That said, regular Gendo looks straight out badass. In my opinion, he has the most memorable design of any Evangelion character. It's so over the top, but it works amazingly. It really sells Gendo's character as this distant, but powerful figure. It's almost the opposite of Shinji's overall design.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:33 am

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:To me Shinji is a cute boy, and now in his adult version, as I had said on another occasion, I can see a physical resemblance to Anno.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember that Sadamoto in his blog where he talked about the differences he wanted to bring in his manga compared to the original NGE said that he had designed Shinji to be a delicate Bishounen, so in short beautiful but not heavenly like Kaworu.

Also for me Shinji other than being a male version of Nadia can also be seen almost as a mix between a male version of Yui's face and Gendo's youthful one, and it is logical since he is their son.

Regarding the resemblance to Anno, I also noticed that the ears of the adult Shinji look exactly like those of its creator.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”