Quality of NTE containment thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: The flaws and/or artistic validity of Shin and NTE as a whole

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:24 pm

View Original PostLeonaxzz wrote:I remember Gendo and Yui once said: If their baby is a boy, then his name will be Shinji; if is a girl, then her name would be Rei.
Gendo created Rei with Yui’s genes and named her after their daughter.
In my opinion, to Gendo, Rei should be no different from Shinji: they are both Gendo(and Yui)’s children ( yet who were all used by Gendo as a tool to achieve his goal).

I think 3.0+1.0 makes it clear that Gendo only created the Ayanami series as a way to get Yui back. Gendo only sees Rei as an extension/replacement of Yui at most, not their daughter.

Gendo seems to have certain attachment for Rei II. However, even in 2.0, Gendo accepted Rei's dinner, because he remembers Yui.

Also, a point in the story is that Gendo could never see that Yui was always on Shinji (whom he pushed away), not in the hundreds of Ayanami clones.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:29 am

Zer0_Stars_DS wrote:Ok then, it’s official. There are only four people here who actually like NTE out of everyone else. Artistic validity comes from people who are willing to see and appreciate the artistic value of which there are so few. So by logic,there is little to no artistic validity of NTE and it is therefore conceptually bad. Spread the word

Lol, what. You do realize people have different opinions, right? And artistic validity is a stupid concept anyway, eventually it'll mostly just end up mirroring someone's ideas on what is good and worthwhile. It's the same with whenever someone comes up with a definition of "real art" or "artistic value" or whatever, it's eventually meaningless.

Leonaxzz
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Leonaxzz » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:48 am

View Original PostOutlawThirds wrote:
View Original PostLeonaxzz#933360 wrote:However, he did much more "things" to Rei in NTE, and ironically he could get what is called "redemption".

Should be noted that Gendo's treatment of Rei II in NTE cuts out a lot of his worst moments, so in a way he has less to atone for. In NTE he was actually going to entertain her dinner party idea (treating her like a person... even if slightly.)

Did I miss a scene where Gendo is a jerk to Rei in NTE?

In 1.0, they added a scene that was not originally in NGE: Gendo and Fuyutsuki talked about Shinji's actions was all follwed to his plan, and then Gendo said that next he wanted to make Shinji and Rei get closer.

Then considering that in 2.0, Shinji triggered N3I in order to save Rei, and in 3.0+1.0 we learned that the Ayanami series were all designed to like Shinji. I think this strongly suggests that Gendo intended to trigger Impacts by manipulating Shinji's feelings for Rei(vice versa) , or he wants his son to suffer the same pain of losing someone important as he lost Yui (according to Fuyutsuki), or maybe both.

At least his counterpart in NGE "only" ignores Shinji and uses Rei, while Gendo in NTE not only uses them, but also manipulates Shinji and Rei's feelings for each other, even intentionally wants his son to suffer(Funny thing is, until the end Gendo still insist that his guilt is abandon his son).

As for the dinner invitation, we can see that Gendo tried to reject Rei at start but then decided to accept it because he suddenly recalled Yui’s vision from Rei.
So like I said, Gendo just wanted to find Yui's shadow from Rei (according to Gendo's retrospect scene).
Sometimes He treated her like a person, because of Yui.
It was still Yui that made him change his mind, not any other factors.
Once Gendo realizes that Rei is not Yui after all, he will abandon her mercilessly.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:21 pm

View Original PostLeonaxzz wrote:In 1.0, they added a scene that was not originally in NGE: Gendo and Fuyutsuki talked about Shinji's actions was all follwed to his plan, and then Gendo said that next he wanted to make Shinji and Rei get closer.

Then considering that in 2.0, Shinji triggered N3I in order to save Rei, and in 3.0+1.0 we learned that the Ayanami series were all designed to like Shinji. I think this strongly suggests that Gendo intended to trigger Impacts by manipulating Shinji's feelings for Rei(vice versa) , or he wants his son to suffer the same pain of losing someone important as he lost Yui (according to Fuyutsuki), or maybe both.

At least his counterpart in NGE "only" ignores Shinji and uses Rei, while Gendo in NTE not only uses them, but also manipulates Shinji and Rei's feelings for each other, even intentionally wants his son to suffer(Funny thing is, until the end Gendo still insist that his guilt is abandon his son).

As for the dinner invitation, we can see that Gendo tried to reject Rei at start but then decided to accept it because he suddenly recalled Yui’s vision from Rei.
So like I said, Gendo just wanted to find Yui's shadow from Rei (according to Gendo's retrospect scene).
Sometimes He treated her like a person, because of Yui.
It was still Yui that made him change his mind, not any other factors.
Once Gendo realizes that Rei is not Yui after all, he will abandon her mercilessly.

Also remember that the date for the test of EVA-03 was moved at the last minute to the same day where the diner party was supposed to happen, the jury is still out on if Gendo chickened out at the last second and didn't wanted this diner to happen anymore, or if he knew about the development of the relationship between Asuka, Rei and Shinji and predicted that Asuka would volunteer to do the test for Rei since Gendo strongly suspected that there was something wrong with EVA-03 (seeing the amount of BS level predictions he does in later movies, that's a strong possibility)

But in the end, the double standard between Shinji and Gendo's redemption is mind-blowing: Shinji gets apocalyptic cosmic punishment everytime he pilots without a completely pure heart and absolutely selfless intentions (even if said intentions are "saving someone dear to him" or "repair the world to be forgiven by those I care about"), only getting a win once he becomes a messianic figures ready to go to sacrifice himself without any hesitation; while Gendo spent nearly three decade being a little shit plotting the extermination of mankind just to be with his waifu again, repetitively manipulating and breaking his son, using his daughter as a tool, murdering everything in his path without an ounce of regret or hesitation, being the cause of the entire casts' misery for the last 14 years and only gauging the worth of his own children upon an arbitrary criteria of "how much of Yui" is in them (thus completely writing off Rei without looking back once he came to the conclusion that she doesn't have any trace of her) instead of considering them for who they are... and he gets a pat in the back about how his life was hard and rewarded with being reunited with his wife while his son apologize for never trying to understand his feelings. What the fuck is this victim-blaming BS?!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:29 pm

View Original PostLeonaxzz wrote:In 1.0, they added a scene that was not originally in NGE: Gendo and Fuyutsuki talked about Shinji's actions was all follwed to his plan, and then Gendo said that next he wanted to make Shinji and Rei get closer.

Then considering that in 2.0, Shinji triggered N3I in order to save Rei

I was recently deep diving the 2.0 CRC and specifically remembered a section where Anno's interviewer called out this part as an example of 2.0 foreshadowing and Anno kinda just "noped" it. Not to discredit any thoughts, but most ideas seem to connect with prior beats retroactively.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:24 pm

Interesting that Anno should explicitly deny that sort of connection. Forging deep connections between beats or even individual shots between episodes (NGE) and movies (NTE) is pretty much the core of what so much of this site's geekery is about, and it wouldn't quite feel the same if those connections were retroactive rather than planned out in advance (not to mention what might happen to theories built on those connections getting torpedoed as a result)

LFiM's analysis of Mari using little details in 2.0 made me think that a lot had been planned out for Mari and about the broader political situation surrounding Nerv and the Evas (such as the Vatican Treaty), which makes me all the more curious about what happened during the "2.5" period when Shinji was absorbed into Eva-01.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:15 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:LFiM's analysis of Mari using little details in 2.0

This sounds neat, do you have a link to it?

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:12 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Interesting that Anno should explicitly deny that sort of connection. Forging deep connections between beats or even individual shots between episodes (NGE) and movies (NTE) is pretty much the core of what so much of this site's geekery is about, and it wouldn't quite feel the same if those connections were retroactive rather than planned out in advance (not to mention what might happen to theories built on those connections getting torpedoed as a result)

I think in that specific instance for that line, considering it was written when Rei was still scheduled to die against 10th, it was just a general "At the end of 1.0 they'll have the 'Just smile' exchange and get closer" thing and 2.0's prolonged rewriting (where everything from Eva-02's head coming through the shelter in front of Shinji to Mark.06 showing up wasn't finalised in script form let alone animated even 6 months before premiere) created an opportunity to retroactively reinforce/reinterpret it.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:01 am

Now I get it. Still makes me wonder how much was planned at the start and how much was rewritten/created along the way - and like I said, I've been too tied up with IRL stuff to be paying attention to any new reveals about the writing process for the movies.

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:
View Original PostUrsusArctos#933503 wrote:LFiM's analysis of Mari using little details in 2.0

This sounds neat, do you have a link to it?

Don't have a link handy ATM, but It's on Reichu's Arqa-Apocrypha site.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

2Lacissal2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 2Lacissal2 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:44 pm

and it wouldn't quite feel the same if those connections were retroactive rather than planned out in advance

if there's been one consistent description from NGE to Rebuild, by himself and others, of Eva's writing process is Anno approaching it as a 'live performance' or 'live theatre' changing and adding things as he feels in the moment, and not to some pre-conceieved master plan. There's quite a few key lore examples from NGE where they've explicitly stated this- the AT field was just a reason for why only Eva's could fight Angels, or why only 14yos could pilot Evas, or the nature of Human Instrumentality, were elements they established without having a firm idea what they actually were until later. I think in one interview Anno likened it to doing a manga one chapter after another. Though I don't think it should be seen as being entirely made upas they go along, a better description would be that the broad strokes are in place, but thousands of small details are fluid and change. Like how from the original preview at the end of Q the basic scenario for Shin is clearly already outlined nearly a decade ago

EDIT- there's an interesting quote from Tsurumaki in the 2.0 CRC

Tsurumaki: From this point on, these are completely my own suppositions, so Anno-san would probably reject this, but the secret is, I think, likely to be Anno-san himself. Anno-san is not someone who creates according to an inductive method [帰納的], but according to a deductive method [演繹的]. The inductive methodology would involve deciding one one’s destination and working out what you will do to get there, but that’s not the case [with Anno], who hasn’t really decided what the end point will be. Even if he has decided [on something, he’s done it] very vaguely, and as he tries to go on he gets bored with it.70 I have reached the point where I firmly believe this.

To put it another way, he just ends up choosing the things he likes. For example, suppose that there is a fork in the road. [He’s?] faced with [the choice] “save Rei/​not save Rei” and [he] chooses “save Rei”. [He’s] faced with [the choice] “pilot Eva/​not pilot Eva” and [he] chooses “pilot Eva”. [He] goes on choosing the path he likes from a continuous series of two alternatives. The structure of Eva’s story is assembled in this manner. It’s no longer a structure.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:59 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:But in the end, the double standard between Shinji and Gendo's redemption is mind-blowing: Shinji gets apocalyptic cosmic punishment everytime he pilots without a completely pure heart and absolutely selfless intentions (even if said intentions are "saving someone dear to him" or "repair the world to be forgiven by those I care about"), only getting a win once he becomes a messianic figures ready to go to sacrifice himself without any hesitation; while Gendo spent nearly three decade being a little shit plotting the extermination of mankind just to be with his waifu again, repetitively manipulating and breaking his son, using his daughter as a tool, murdering everything in his path without an ounce of regret or hesitation, being the cause of the entire casts' misery for the last 14 years and only gauging the worth of his own children upon an arbitrary criteria of "how much of Yui" is in them (thus completely writing off Rei without looking back once he came to the conclusion that she doesn't have any trace of her) instead of considering them for who they are... and he gets a pat in the back about how his life was hard and rewarded with being reunited with his wife while his son apologize for never trying to understand his feelings. What the fuck is this victim-blaming BS?!

This is one of the things I find hardest to reconcile. The only thing I can really come up with is that it's personally meaningful for Anno in a specific, somewhat inaccessible way. Perhaps he doesn't view Gendo's arc with any kind of clinical plot analysis, but just sees Gendo as representing the bad things he (Anno) perceives himself as committing against others. Perhaps Shin was therapeutic for him, in that he viewed it as forgiving (or taking ownership) of these wrongs and setting the universe back to rights.

Unfortunately, as a viewer, I can't reconcile the way this operates (or fails to operate) in terms of concrete, surface-level plot with what emotional resolution it might have for Anno as creator.
Après moi le déluge!

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:45 am

Feels quite consistent with EoTV and EoE, to be honest. Ultimately, we are watching the story from Shinji's perspective, and Shinji, like Anno, is trapped in his own point of view, like we all are to some extent. We care about our own mistakes and our own feelings the most. If you and another person do the exact same bad thing, you may rationally understand that you are both feeling the same kind of feelings, but ultimately, you only feel yours, so they weigh much more heavily. That's why it's much harder to forgive oneself than somebody else. It's also why we over-estimate our importance to other people, believing that they are constantly thinking about us, when they are not: they are thinking about themselves.

So, Shinji and Anno feel their own feelings; they didn't really experience any of the bad things Gendo did. In story, Shinji isn't around for those fourteen years, and while his dad sucks, he himself still sucks much more in his own PoV because of that self-centered bias we have towards ourselves. It's the same in EoE: Shinji is arguably not the worst person in NGE, but he's scrutinized and berated the most, to the point where people don't even realize that when Asuka accuses him of things in the Kitchen scene, she's projecting heavily and also indicting herself. There's this notion that the harsher a truth, the more true it is, so people believe that because she is extremely harsh and somewhat correct in her assessment, she's accurately judging Shinji's true, core character. But that's not the case. Shinji just likes to believe that because it's flattering his depressed, self-centered ego, and something similar goes for the audience. We like to see ourselves as important, even if it's in the form of our objectively smaller mistakes mattering more than other people's larger mistakes.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Leonaxzz
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Leonaxzz » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:52 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostLeonaxzz#933360 wrote:I remember Gendo and Yui once said: If their baby is a boy, then his name will be Shinji; if is a girl, then her name would be Rei.
Gendo created Rei with Yui’s genes and named her after their daughter.
In my opinion, to Gendo, Rei should be no different from Shinji: they are both Gendo(and Yui)’s children ( yet who were all used by Gendo as a tool to achieve his goal).

I think 3.0+1.0 makes it clear that Gendo only created the Ayanami series as a way to get Yui back. Gendo only sees Rei as an extension/replacement of Yui at most, not their daughter.

Gendo seems to have certain attachment for Rei II. However, even in 2.0, Gendo accepted Rei's dinner, because he remembers Yui.

Also, a point in the story is that Gendo could never see that Yui was always on Shinji (whom he pushed away), not in the hundreds of Ayanami clones.

Yes, and that's why I don't think Gendo's last confession was honest, because he didn't treat Rei with common moral standards.

Especially, Gendo didn't just see Rei as Yui's replacement, but also deliberately puts Rei at the center of his son's life, seeing her as a tool that can affect Shinji's feelings.
Which is to say he was indeed able to see Rei as a person, but just was reluctant to treat her as a daughter.

Like a selfish father who abandoned his children for many years, finally reconciled to his son in order to win his lost ex-wife back.
"But hey, that girl next to my son was adopted, so she doesn't count!"

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:28 am

View Original PostDerantor wrote:Feels quite consistent with EoTV and EoE, to be honest. Ultimately, we are watching the story from Shinji's perspective, and Shinji, like Anno, is trapped in his own point of view, like we all are to some extent.

Nobody would say NTE isn't overwhelmingly Shinji-centric, but as a catch-all argument against any creative decisions being fundamentally inert, "but it's from Shinji's perspective" doesn't do enough legwork. It's not like every moment of NTE has an unreliable narrator quality or is strictly framed as being from his purview; plenty happens that he doesn't see or know about, and plenty details are withheld, only to later be exposited with him in attendance in such broad-strokes detail that they can't possibly be said to be filtered through any kind of perspectival lens, other than that of a blunt effort to deliver information to an audience.

Your descriptions of the difference between perceptions of self and others are apt, but a confirmed genocidal event and arbiter and potential savior exceed the reach of many of these psychological tendencies, which are outgrowths of more quotidian interpersonal life. There isn't anything ambiguous about the difference in pain between destroyed communities and a sad individual. And to my mind, that's something NTE expresses, as Shinji's arc goes from self-involved to other-centric. What clashes is that the events give no reason for why Gendo deserves forgiveness or redemption or why Shinji would assent to it, other than that Anno believes it's fitting metatextually as self-forgiveness, or wishes for the plot to have some element of universal forgiveness for the sake of it, the aim being a positive and affirmational conclusion regardless of the efficacy of its supporting arguments.

View Original PostDerantor wrote:It's the same in EoE: Shinji is arguably not the worst person in NGE, but he's scrutinized and berated the most, to the point where people don't even realize that when Asuka accuses him of things in the Kitchen scene, she's projecting heavily and also indicting herself. There's this notion that the harsher a truth, the more true it is, so people believe that because she is extremely harsh and somewhat correct in her assessment, she's accurately judging Shinji's true, core character. But that's not the case. Shinji just likes to believe that because it's flattering his depressed, self-centered ego, and something similar goes for the audience. We like to see ourselves as important, even if it's in the form of our objectively smaller mistakes mattering more than other people's larger mistakes.

I'd say that EoE goes out of its way to refuse Gendo any kind of desired resolution, but that despite the castigation and self-castigation of Shinji, he's rewarded with fuller perspective and self-actualization.

The kitchen scene is ambiguous; we never see it happen completely in literal reality, and what Asuka says in Instrumentality could very well be a mental projection by Shinji, if not her real (maybe even exaggerated) feelings brimming over through mind-meld. I'm not sure I agree with using anything in Instrumentality as evidence of anything tangible if it resembles a flashback, because time and perspective is folding in on itself there.

I don't think Shinji wants to believe that, nor that he has any reason to want to believe that. NGE, EoE and NTE seem, rather, to position his psychological shortcomings as defeatist, at the same time that they show he would prefer others actually do care about him. That's the entire point of the "everyone likes you" line and his surprise; his perspective is cloudy, not masochistic. Maybe he lashes out at himself in masochistic ways, but I don't see the Asuka scene as one of those, and the core of the masochism is still misplaced belief in the hatred of others and his own worthlessness.

The big difference to me, too, is that EoE and NGE treat Instrumentality literally and logically--Shinji comes out of a mind-meld less self-centered. I don't see why a kind of godhead would have Shinji overlooking things, featuring severe shortcomings in perspective, projecting onto others, and feel more or less incomplete and unencompassing. More time is spent letting Gendo deliver reserved accounts of his past and of the mythology than outbursts of emotion and reality, except for when it benefits a handful of desired character beats. If Shinji can get a demo reel of Asuka's tragic past, why is he not treated to perspective-altering insights into how the 14 years felt to Lilin survivors? Why is the fearful way a person might feel about the things that have slaughtered their immediate family something the movie considers important to show the audience, when Toji holds Hikari amid the skyline gone impact-y, but Shinji himself never seems to be directly exposed to the summation of grief and trauma his father caused? For that matter, why isn't Gendo? The closest we get is the melodrama of the gun standoff, which features emotions as grounded as the Wunder and as poignant as panty shots.

If these omissions of perspective are intentional, I'm not sure what the point of them are because they don't seem to be operating in the service of any argument, atmosphere or theme. What are they communicating other than their own existence in the film? They just seem to be things that occur.
Après moi le déluge!

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:17 am

Ah, sorry, I wasn't quite clear. I was trying to fanwank a reason as for why Anno would care more about Shinji's feelings than an accurate assessment of Gendo's crimes. Purely from a "why would an author do this?" perspective, not as an assessment of the in-story implications/moral of everything.

As for what it means for the story: contrary to EoTV or EoE, Shinji doesn't actually grow less self-centered. His perspective and singular focus on himself seems to be validated instead; that's why he can just forgive Gendo, because everything Gendo ever did to Shinji was abandoning him, so showing him some love is probably emotionally cathartic enough for Shinji to forgive his father. That's why I joked that Shinji forgiving Gendo is one asshole forgiving another. Like I said previously, Shin feels like the Anti-EoE. EoE didn't really resolve the characters issues; it only showed that they began to understand their own issues and wanted to change. Shin meanwhile also doesn't resolve the characters issues in any meaningful way, but it pretends that that's just fine. Or at the very least, most fans seem to think that the resolution is fine, because we got our happy ending.

Or something like that, no clue.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:34 am

View Original PostDerantor wrote:As for what it means for the story: contrary to EoTV or EoE, Shinji doesn't actually grow less self-centered. His perspective and singular focus on himself seems to be validated instead; that's why he can just forgive Gendo, because everything Gendo ever did to Shinji was abandoning him, so showing him some love is probably emotionally cathartic enough for Shinji to forgive his father. That's why I joked that Shinji forgiving Gendo is one asshole forgiving another. Like I said previously, Shin feels like the Anti-EoE. EoE didn't really resolve the characters issues; it only showed that they began to understand their own issues and wanted to change. Shin meanwhile also doesn't resolve the characters issues in any meaningful way, but it pretends that that's just fine. Or at the very least, most fans seem to think that the resolution is fine, because we got our happy ending.

In Shin, the point is that Shinji truly cares for others putting aside his selfishness and his desire to escape pain. Shinji is even able to face his father and shows him compassion.

That is presented as a growth for Shinji and how his problems are solved.

Maybe you don't like the idea or the way this was developed, but that's what the movie tries to portray

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:36 am

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:... If Shinji can get a demo reel of Asuka's tragic past, why is he not treated to perspective-altering insights into how the 14 years felt to Lilin survivors? Why is the fearful way a person might feel about the things that have slaughtered their immediate family something the movie considers important to show the audience, when Toji holds Hikari amid the skyline gone impact-y, but Shinji himself never seems to be directly exposed to the summation of grief and trauma his father caused? For that matter, why isn't Gendo? The closest we get is the melodrama of the gun standoff, which features emotions as grounded as the Wunder and as poignant as panty shots.

Idle morning thought: I understand the criticism you are making of the gun standoff, but I wonder if reception of this scene will change with time. I've watched it a few times since Prime release in August and sometimes I've thought, well, these two pistol-toting hysterics are certainly out of control and, well, that certainly is Sakura's bouncing ass. But other times I've thought the scene works, maybe because I'd been more focused on reading the subtitles to follow what's being said rather than how it's said.

roblucci01
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby roblucci01 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:14 pm

Some thoughts I wanted to share, relevant more to this thread than the "Rank the Movies" thread which was where I was originally going to post this.

I think a lot of the problems with current discussions surrounding Evangelion 3.0+1.0 stem from what I would call the "Avengers: Endgame effect". Hear me out. When Endgame was released, reactions were mainly divided into two camps: one group found the movie to be generally enjoyable, recommended it to their friends and family, and mainly stayed in their lane after that, seemingly uninvolved in any beneath-surface level discussion regarding the film; another group of people viscerally HATE it, appearing physically disturbed by any mention of it, equating it to some type of catastrophe that has permanently tainted the art of filmmaking forever. The latter camp I would generalize as cinephiles. I noticed that the cinephile camp came out of the woodwork a lot more incited after Martin Scorsese criticized the Marvel films as being "not cinema"; personally I found this very ironic considering how much I disliked The Irishman, which felt less creative and less organic than previous Scorsese films, those of which basically told the same story, but more concisely and with greater enthusiasm (and believe me, I used to be a big Scorsese fan myself). My perception is that the cinephile group loathes these "casual" watchers because they believe casuals watch movies without thinking about them, instead of consuming media critically. Often times cinephiles belligerently attack others for having what they consider inferior tastes, aggressively dismissing "mainstream" opinions in a belligerent manner. In best case scenarios, I find them lecturing people in the form of lengthy rants with condescending undertones. It's really toxic. And regardless of which film we're talking about, cinephiles always find a way of tying their arguments back to their contempt of Avengers: Endgame. It's amazing to me how polarizing and divisive a movie can be even three years after it came out. I'll admit it, I liked Endgame. It was a fun experience. Would I call it a masterpiece, or some work of art? No. Did the movie have impeccable writing or profound themes? No. Was it perfect? No. It never needed to be. Still, the very existence of it, and the fact it made a lot of money is enough to make people visibly angry and hostile. For all people complain about supposed "filmbros", I find the pretentious "cinema experts" to be a lot worse. But it's too late, Cinephile is not just an identity, it's now an industry.

Since then, and perhaps also due to increased Netflix consumption in the age of Covid-19, I've noticed an increase in the number of people mainly in Western countries that excessively criticize and over analyze media. It's all about "kino". Film consumption has turned into this giant contest of who is the smartest movie watcher. It's like people don't really watch movies or shows to be entertained anymore, but rather to critique them. Unfortunately even I am doing this subconsciously now: last week I went to see Dragonball Super: Super Hero, and as I was in the theater waiting for it to start, I found myself thinking about what I would like about the movie, and what I would dislike about about the movie, before I had even seen anything.

I definitely think this trend has created a lot of spillover into anime fandoms/communities, and in cases of bad discussions (ie the kinds I see on places other than Evageeks), there are seemingly parallels to the example I wrote before. I've even met Eva fans in person and have had conversations with them about Evangelion 3.0+1.0, and it becomes clear to me from talking to them that their views are more informed by louder voices in the fandom than being their own original ideas or opinions. One guy I spoke with at a bar in Akihabara was surprised at my interpretation of the themes in the film, and told me, "Hmm, well you know, I've never thought about it that way..." In a one-on-one conversation, it's a lot easier for me to get my ideas across, as opposed to online discussions where you have a pack of voices essentially reiterating the same idea, creating this sort of echo chamber. I've personally been attacked and flamed on other places of discussions for daring to have an overall positive (while somewhat critical) opinion of Shin Evangelion.

In general, I think the debates and discussions regarding NTE on Evageeks have been pretty good; but on other sites, not so much.
I hate the internet

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:34 pm

Yeah, I recently found myself in another thread noting this kind of thing but I think you pinpointed it much better. I disagree on a couple things, one being that I don't think it's new whatsoever that people aren't watching things with the biggest priority being entertainment, as art films have existed since film began. I'm not sure I'd say it's more widespread, even, as Eraserhead enjoyed midnight movie success and Cassavetes was a pretty big name, appearing on Columbo and talk shows, despite his films being extremely hard to sit through. Two is that I personally haven't seen Endgame dominating film discussion, or really anything about Endgame at all, despite frequenting cineaste circles. I'm familiar with the recent Star Wars trilogy being lambasted and picked apart, but that's all that comes to mind. I also wonder how iron-clad the observation is of Western countries being the culprits of over-analyzing, as there are a fair number of scholarly books dedicated to analysis of Evangelion, whether from esoteric or political angles, that have existed since the 90s in Japan. One of the earliest examples I read of panning Thrice was a Japanese essay.

View Original Postroblucci01 wrote:But it's too late, Cinephile is not just an identity, it's now an industry.

I found myself wanting to disagree on this specific point, as the likes of Pauline Kael and Roger Ebert have been around since the 70s, but there is a big difference in what's going on today. And I think it can be chalked up to social media. Media analysis was once deferred to experts, academics and enthusiasts, but now seemingly everyone operates on the idea that they're an expert with (at least the potential) of a global platform. Everyone seems to have an opinion, often expressed vociferously, on even the most niche, obscure and nuanced topics, ones we used to leave to specialists and that laymen, even those that are intelligent, lack the time and actual expertise to understand to the level that it matches investment in terms of their frequent internet spats. I've often seen two people argue about something back and forth until it reaches a point where it becomes obvious neither side actually understands the subject matter in depth.

To apply this to Eva, I've seen Thrice haters begin on what seems like a sound foot only to end up implying that Anno was merely selling his soul to embed his project with conformist "breed more" Abe propaganda, and I've seen Thrice lovers express their appreciation in sound terms only to devolve into spats and end up claiming that Anno discovered the key to the big questions about life and that if you didn't jibe with his message you're irrevocably broken in some way psychologically, if not spiritually, highly likely a basement dweller refusing to touch grass. So in my experience the dichotomy among Thrice viewers isn't those who liked it and stay in their lane and those who hated it and behave toxically, quite the opposite, I've seen an immense amount of toxicity from those who praise Thrice, as I mention in a couple posts starting here.

I don't think this general thing among internet film buffs you pinpoint is just a hatefest, either, and that the pendulum swings the other way and there are instances of over-praising. I watched a film the other day and thought it was okay; entertaining but with glaring flaws, and that was more or less the extent of my reaction. I hopped onto Letterboxd and read the top review, which posits that the film is a once-in-a-lifetime masterwork that has grand philosophical implications for all time. The elements of the film used to substantiate their arguments seemed, to me, as if they didn't exist in the film, that they were embellishing if not inventing wholesale, and the more I read, the more I felt like they were describing a different film entirely. Whether it's rooted in toxic negativity or not, there's this feeling that everyone is in a competition to out-pan or out-praise everything; pretty much every top review on Letterboxd raves about any conceivable film you could look up, no matter how lighthearted, schlocky, pretentious or whatever, as the literal second coming.

In both of these cases, the 'criticism' such as it is often gets away (far, far away) from what there actually is to appreciate in a film, and the intentions of the author get hopelessly obscured under irrelevant projections.

I don't think it's being critical per se that's an issue, but rather that it's not being critical of your own criticism. In many of these cases, it's not people being analytical for its own sake, out of some kind of interest, fascination, or preference for analysis, but often it's more like the actually important motivation is some kind of display of ego, brow-beating, or war of identity, which is substantiating itself using the guise of critical analysis but crumbles pretty quickly when you apply any actual rigor to it; long paragraphs, sure, the appearance of an argument, yeah, but when you start lobbing counteracting critique and strip away any present logical fallacies, piece by piece it's wittled down to some kind of neurosis or shallow tendency. Film is a subjective medium, and some level of interpretation is bound to be intimate and unique for each viewer, but it's another thing entirely when someone takes their gut reaction and runs with it and uses it as a way to get into arguments where the thesis, the purpose and the reason why they want to argue might as well not be about the film itself, and more like the film is an excuse.

And I think social media primes its users to operate in this kind of poor faith because it's not modeled around discussion, it's modeled around declaration. Whatever methods are required to drive home your expression of confident correctness is paramount, and I have to wonder if it's sometimes enforced subconsciously. A tweet, or review entry, or top-voted reddit post is, in essence and in best effect, a mic-drop. It's not at all like a discussion forum, which endorses back-and-forth and de-emphasizes "winning" in the contest of most eyeball traffic, and it has some semblance of policing via moderators instead of zero accountability unless someone types in a bomb threat.
Après moi le déluge!

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:32 am

It would be interesting to peek into a timeline in which Thrice was released in 2015 instead of 2021. Online culture was different, internet advertising budgets and targeting were different, social media algorithms were different, etc., etc. In that timeline there might be a broad consensus about the film; who knows!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”