Evangelion:3.0+1.0 First 12 minutes 10 seconds online preview [March 8th]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Evangelion:3.0+1.0 First 12 minutes 10 seconds online preview [March 8th]

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:51 am

Burning question now

Did until you come to me use concept art

Or did they do until you come to me and go that looks great let’s use that for the intro

Electreel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Electreel » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:59 am

Wow, that opening credits sequence was something else :w00t:

SPOILER: Show

There's something very interesting going on here. The entry plug hatch is open and some kind of organic-looking material seems to have burst out of it. It doesn't look like the spaghetti-like tendrils that can be seen emerging from some of the Failures in 3.0, Rather, it's much more similar to the 9th Angel's fungous growths on Unit-03's entry plug. Also, notice the marked venation on the arms. I wonder if this the result of the 12th Angel merging with Lilith.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:59 am

so at the end Shinji is in front of a coffe shop......is that coffee brand still their advertiser ?
also Asuka looking at the monitor has clean blue sky like in the preview from 3.33 but they are still walking around a red mist zone is this out of order ?

even the drones eva got eroded with the red mist so i gues they dont have at fields, and its why they got destroyed so easy. but the ships didnt so i guess big whale bird plane was giving them at field of their own ?
ANATA BAKA !?

kuro hazama
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby kuro hazama » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:02 pm

Checked with the timecodes and all the music cues check out with this preview, which means unless there is anything more we have the whole first roll of the film.
Also that the digest was included at least in the workprint If not in the final movie
the eva team

gendo team brains/pimpface
ritsuko team cyborg
Misato team berserker
aoba team undead
hyuga team psycho
ibuki psycho stalker

fuyu team badass

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:10 pm

Thesufferingpumpkin wrote:Did until you come to me use concept art

Or did they do until you come to me and go that looks great let’s use that for the intro

I think it was a give and take. I can't find it right now but back during the Animator Expo there was a music video made for a piece of Shiro Sagisu's music (Peaceful Times) that had some hidden storyboards of some shots that we now see are in the opening title credits. This video was from like 2013/2014 so a version of the title sequence has been boarded/planned for a long time. Probably Anno and the team did some work on the final film while finishing 3.0 or right before he stopped everything to go make Shin Godzilla.

Then he let the Khara animators play around with the material for the Animator Expo and that became Until You Come To Me and some of the expanded ideas got molded back into the final film.

So much art is collaborative and give and take. I love it.

Really excited to get some behind the scenes info on this film in the future. Is the final film drastically different from the concepts/sketches they likely had back in 2012. Is it vastly different? I needs to know!

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:17 pm

I thought these were leftovers from the cut D-part
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:26 pm

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:I thought these were leftovers from the cut D-part

They are, but even that would-be story needed to have some kind of concept art to give the creators an idea on what to do with it.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:31 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:also Asuka looking at the monitor has clean blue sky like in the preview from 3.33 but they are still walking around a red mist zone is this out of order ?

It doesn't appear to be out of order, the previous scene shows the blue sky:

Also, this trailer cut is "missing" (or they realocated it):
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:44 pm

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:I thought these were leftovers from the cut D-part

I'm not sure exactly how "leftover" they are. Like, I don't think "Part D" was every really animated or otherwise produced for Eva Q, even if it was planned and storyboarded. At best there might be dialogue scene recorded from the VAs, but that would probably be as far as the production ever got before but was canned.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:03 pm

A game to play while we're waiting for more leaks -- while the Paris locations were obvious, searching through Google Earth for the locations shown in the new section.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:27 pm

Nice to see those two extra minutes, liked them more than the entire fight sequence. Still can't get behind he CG, but whatever, it's just something that's clearly going to be present in a big percentage of the movie.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Electreel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Electreel » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:31 pm

Until You Come to me vs. 3.0+1.0 comparison.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:36 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Nice to see those two extra minutes, liked them more than the entire fight sequence. Still can't get behind he CG, but whatever, it's just something that's clearly going to be present in a big percentage of the movie.

cg is fine, but why are they rendering them at 24 fps ? it stand out too much, specially the ships
ANATA BAKA !?

Cookie H Wilson
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Cookie H Wilson » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:37 pm

View Original Postduppertip wrote:Well, I censored one I found...

And I really do wonder how much of a Stalker Zone inspiration Anno had if had any at all. Those levitating cars clearly look like anomalies, I wouldn't be surprised if some dangers are also living in the red wasteland.

I guess is The Moon proximity with her own gravitational force
�Smash the control images. Smash the control machine.�
― William S. Burroughs

melonpan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby melonpan » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:54 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:
cg is fine, but why are they rendering them at 24 fps ? it stand out too much, specially the ships

im pretty sure the whole thing is in 24fps, because that is a standard especially in 2D animation, but you can get completely smooth animation in 3Dcgi at 24fps just fine. its possible each "pose" is held for two frames on the cgi, but im not sure.

it is also possible that the animation is stylized where instead of a smooth curve going from keyframe to keyframe, its all chopped up in a "stepped" mode. these curves or lines are represented on a timeline with the frames and keyframes.

i think this might be so the 3D has more of an effect similar to that of 2D animation, because 2D animation isnt constantly changing frame by frame most of the time, but 3D is! and 3D must be moving at all times or else it looks lifeless, even for a moment.
fan since 2013

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:03 pm

I'm glad until you come to me isn't gonna be forgotten, nice seeing some of those concepts make their way to this film ^_^

Electreel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Electreel » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:14 pm

Oh, I just noticed a little addition to the Avant 1 part. Anno and his 2001: A Space Odyssey references... :D

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:56 pm

View Original PostHikikoboshi wrote:Since the video is set as private, you can find a mirror here: Link deleted

Thanks, I managed to download it before the censoring! :D

Sooooo *crack knuckles* time to delve into the pits of image analysis! :w00t:
Disclaimer: I didn't checked the entire thread, so some images and analysis might already been posted here.

1/ Whoever was in charge of NERV's branding defected to WILLE and kept his job there, because boy do they love their sigil spam!

2/ Mari's autocanons are of 356mm caliber, to give you an example, that's the caliber used on US Navy's WWII battleships' main canons! Dear god the amount of dakka! :pwnd:

3/ The Seine water is blue for some reason, I have even more questions on how water works in this post 3I world! (unless it's only reflecting the sky)

4/ I haven't realized how practical and cool the new 360 Eva cockpits are, it gives you an unparalleled situation awareness (only magnified by the traveling made by the camera)

It even has a collision alert system!

5/ The DSRV's landing gear is magnetic, so that means that whatever material the pillars are made of are also magnetic, does that mean that they are metallic?

6/ The flying Eva still have the diamond logo on their "shoulders", like, why?

7/ The Eva44A briefly turns red just before exploding, is that just a stylistic effect, or does it mean that the L-Barrier density in Paris is so fucking high that it immediately turns to core anything it directly touches (and made them explode, in an Eva's case)? If SEELE and neo-NERV can control the density of L-Barrier in places of the world, it would be logical to extra-contaminate Paris to deny vital supplies to WILLE. If that's the case, then Mari was playing an extreme version of "the floor is lava"! :tongue:

8/ EVA4444's main tube connecting to its canon glows and pulsate like an artery when it charges up, it gives it a very "organic" feels that increase the weirdness of those Evas (if you can even call them that at this point)

9/ The Wunder's Achiral Magis are connected to the sealing pillar, that probably means that said pillar is controlled from the Wunder, the ground crew "only" served as on-site hackers to open a connection between the Wunder and the pilar:

10/ Asuka has an utility belt now, she didn't had one at the end of Q (making people wondering from where she got her L-Barrier counter), I wonder if that belt was added in 3.333. Still, it's pretty light as a survival kit, when fucking neo-NERV gives more survival stuff to their pilots than your organization, you know there a problem!

Also note how while Asuka is fixated on her counter and Shinji is still on another plane of existence, Rei Q is basically sightseeing, that's probably the more tourism she has done in her entire existence!

11/ It's me, or does that FoI's legs above the trio have fucking high-heels!? :cringe:

12/ Not very visible in a still shot here, but apparently there's still rain in the post 3I world:

13/ I remembered when I visited Japan back in 2018 (man does that feels like a lifetime ago!) that sewer drains have the logo of the city on it (I have Osaka's rune like logo engraved in my memory after seeing it so much!), so does someone recognize the logo on that drain, or is it a logo invented for the movie (and thus Toyko-3's official logo)?

14/ Something that I already noticed in the AVANT trailer: the quatum Montparnasse tower blooper is still here. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, in this shot the camera is looking Northwest, but the Montparnasse tower is supposed to be on the Southeast of the Arc of Triumph:

View Original Postandreh wrote:Apparently there is some kind of constant gravitational anomaly pulling things up (and disintegrating FOIs too)

I wonder if this is the Moon's gravitational pull, since it's now practically hugging Earth. That or Anno loved Death Stranding. :D
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:16 pm

Not gonna look into that other thread. If it's trying to get a grasp on story or character and it's coming from a 4chan I don't need it. Lot of bad actors in there who think they're the Joker.

Anyhow, played a camrip from the Avant01 2019 event and the just released verison side by side. Some changes I noticed (though I know there are HUNDREDS of things I missed, they've had a full year and a half to make edits).

1. In 3rd shot, panning up from ground to reveal Unit 08, they've changed the clouds in the sky. Simple change.
2. Maybe it's just not audible in the 2019 camrip but I think they added more to Mari's singing.
3. The feet of the lander now have MAGNO GRIP and other labels. Magnetized!
4. As ElMariachi pointed out, they've done a lot of labelling. WILLIE is everywhere.
5. Ritsuko's boots are a 2001 reference with the GRIP SHOES label added. Maybe magnetized as well? Either way, good to know safety is taken into account.
6. Again, tough to tell based on low quality of audio in 2019 rips but they might have added an extra filter or two to Ritsuko's dialogue and a few others. Selling the idea they're in a dangerous area and are communicating through headsets.
7. When Maya inserts the USB drive - very relatable - they've added labels to the drive. UNIT: FAC-51 on left and EXT and a 1 and 2 for inputs.
8. Might just be lost due to audio in camrip but when Mari is "backing up" the ALERTS now have beeps as well.
9. After Mari creates the giant honeycomb of all the flying drones and throws it they've updated the animation on Unit 08. In the 2019 version Unit 08 doesn't move much but now it spins and moves past the camera creating a wipe into the Entry plug.
10. The Sniper Rifle charging has a lot more sparks and is more dynamic.
11. They're reanimated Ritsuko's close up when she tells them to use the battleships as a shield. The 2019 version was a little... sleepy looking. Now she seems more engaged in the moment.
12. Lens flares! Lens flares! Lens flares! When the the Rifle first stands up and is charging a red lens flare now goes across the entire frame. There are also lens flares now when the do a low angle dolly shot past the army of Green Evas charging the weapon.
13. Now when the undulating power cable of the rifle charges up it gets red hot. It did in the 2019 version but in the new version it starts one shot earlier on a wide. I think there's a lot of small changes here.
14. When the Rifle stands up to recharge there's another new purple lens flare.
15. The low angle shot of Midori Kitakami looking up through her monitor where she says "It's recharging! We're screwed!" has a lot more going on now.
16. There's a shot looking down the barrel of the Rifle and it now glows purple . Did not do that in 2019.
17. The shot inside the entry plug of Mari charging the Rifle - lots of Gainax bounce - now has a pronounced jerks and bumps in the camera so it feels more like the camera is in the running Eva and not smoothly floating.
18. Closeup of the computer as the Maya's team finishes their work and the SYSTEM UNLOCKED. There are now new names/labels. The Paris MAGI is MAGI ACHIRAL 1,2 and 3. All now Operational. At the bottom right of the screen is CODE: 666 Anti-L Shielding System.
19. Pretty sure the cars in the deserted streets of Paris are redrawn or at least colored differently.
20. Mari's face reanimated in her Gainax "standing with arms crossed pose".

Anywho, that's what I noticed. Obviously they didn't cut or add any shots but they have at certain points over the last 18 or so months done touch ups on the opening.

Kiiwiibird
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kiiwiibird » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:58 am

so i missed the preview and now it's on private, do you know if they're hosting it anywhere else?
Asuka or Bust

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”