Worst Case Scenario Ending?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:24 am

View Original PostRay wrote:And when/if Final subverts all our negative expectations? What then?

Again Shinji attempting suicide will likely play a part in Final, but given his main character status it's doubtful he will go through with it. Anno loves putting us in the pit with our poor cast but he's not a complete monster (anymore.)

I think that's an expectation that a lot of us are expecting in Final. XD

Think of the Rebuild series as synonymous with Anno's life, in that 3.0 is right up with Anno's low depression point with EoE. Look what happens afterwards. He's now known as one of the most influential creators of anime, happily married, rich as Ted Turner, and is far over his depression and a hell of a lot more stable and somewhat positive. :)

Thus, Final should reflect that transition. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:48 am

@ xanderkh : This.

@ Ray : Well if FINAL subvert all of our negatives expectations, all the better no? 3.0 will be remembered as a masterpiece of ambiance able to suck out all the joy and hope from you and make you believe like all hope is lost, putting you into the protagonist's state of despair like few movies are able to do it, to make the moment where he gains redemption and happiness in FINAL all the more heartwarming.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:17 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:@ Ray : Well if FINAL subvert all of our negatives expectations, all the better no? 3.0 will be remembered as a masterpiece of ambiance able to suck out all the joy and hope from you and make you believe like all hope is lost, putting you into the protagonist's state of despair like few movies are able to do it, to make the moment where he gains redemption and happiness in FINAL all the more heartwarming.

Not for those of us who were never truly worried, but also not for those of us who have already declared proactively that any attempt for a turn toward positivity shall be considered an "asspull".
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:42 am

^
Well, "too bad for them" I suppose.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:46 am

Xanderkh: Thanks for the message!

El Mariachi :You wrote as if someone would be sad if FINAL has a positive balance. Not the case: many people just do not think something positive will come out of this tetralogy. I think some people may see something hopeful in the last film as they did with EoTV and EoE, but I already am pretty sure that will not be my case. My relationship with Evangelion is like poking a bruise, I know it will hurt and it would be better just forget to heal with time, but as a masochist I continue to stir.

Forgive my poor english!

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Again, I won't hold it against Anno if he gives us a rebuild of EOE.

I'm hoping Anno will give Shinji at least a modestly happy ending. I don't see HOW he will, but I'm hoping for the best, but bracing for Impact (pun intended) just in case.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:09 pm

I think at this point worst case scenario is Rei stays dead, Kaworu comes back somehow but ignores Shinji and steals Mari away from Asuka. Then they become time-traveling trickster gods and just leave to go bone or something while nothing else is resolved the world is still a complete mess. :devil:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:16 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I think at this point worst case scenario is Rei stays dead, Kaworu comes back somehow but ignores Shinji and steals Mari away from Asuka. Then they become time-traveling trickster gods and just leave to go bone or something while nothing else is resolved the world is still a complete mess. :devil:

I'm sure someone is writing a fan-fic about this as we speak.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:32 pm

Gendo suddenly being a good guy and sacrificing his life to save everyone.
I'd vomit.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Like Misato's dad did for her at 2nd Impact?

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:12 am

If we end up with Congratulations i'll actually be extremely unhappy; i'd rather have watched the TV series over to reach that ending.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:25 am

People hated the TV ending
People hated the EoE ending
No doubt people will hate Final's ending as well

It's the circle of life

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:03 pm

"Hmmmm, well, about what I expected"

THAT'S the worst case scenario ending. In a story as wide open as this one, with so many narrative possibilities, going with an ending that can be be predicted would be the only true failure.

James Sucellus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby James Sucellus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Shinji dying between films, and vapid fanservice non-entity Mari becoming the protagonist.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:42 pm

View Original PostJames Sucellus wrote:Shinji dying between films, and vapid fanservice non-entity Mari becoming the protagonist.

^ THIS. And if by some reason, the fandom eats this up and says this is "THE BEST TING EVAR!", I will personally make like Dr. Farnsworth and say: "I don't want to live in this fandom anymore." :irked:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:54 pm

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:^ THIS. And if by some reason, the fandom eats this up and says this is "THE BEST TING EVAR!", I will personally make like Dr. Farnsworth and say: "I don't want to live in this fandom anymore." :irked:

IF this happen.. The fandom WILL eat this and praise Anno for ingenuity (Not to mention Shinji haters will have a field day). But this won't happen so you don't have to lose sleep over this. :rolleyes:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

James Sucellus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby James Sucellus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:50 pm

I'm one of the few that really enjoyed the latest Rebuild film, but every time she was on-screen I wanted to throw something. She's hideous, and is only there for marketing and merchandising. In a moody work of art, she stood out like a McDonald's Big Mac meal in a posh restaurant. So shallow and irritating. An Eva character aimed at an audience which don't usually like Eva characters because they're 'too depressed', so she's just given ZERO characterisation.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:57 pm

View Original PostJames Sucellus wrote:I'm one of the few that really enjoyed the latest Rebuild film,

Actually, there's plenty of us, you'll find.

But have a harder look at Mari; she doesn't deserve the "shallow" rap she gets. She doesn't have (as far as we can tell) the screwed-up background that the other pilots have, but she has done some significant things for Shinji.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

James Sucellus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby James Sucellus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:05 pm

I found Toji's sister to be a much less forced 'cute new girl' character.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:31 pm

View Original PostJames Sucellus wrote:Shinji dying between films, and vapid fanservice non-entity Mari becoming the protagonist.

If by valid you mean energetic and fun, then yes she is vapid
Fan service is not a bad thing and we have yet to see her nude
Non entity - in 3.0 yes, dew to a lack of screen time, in 2.0 I think she was great.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”