Shinji is the culprit in 3rd Impact + Kaworu's dead

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:59 am

Is it possible the writers mistook epicentre for Hypocentre or a mistranslation? Since it's common people use epicentre to describe an Earthquake's central point of Teutonic shift, it's often misused in lieu of hypocentre/focus. No doubt anyone who has seen 3.0 believes that the Teeth canyon is essentially an earthquake fissure.

If you don't know the difference, hypocentre is subterranean point of an earthquake rupture and epicentre is the surface area above affected by it, not below it.

Also don't forget, Shinji is 14, he probably doesn't know what the term "Epicentre" means hence he doesn't pick up on the contradiction, that is of course when Asuka tells him that Third Impact would resume under a completely different set of circumstances to his own experience that he picks up on this and screams "YOU'RE CLUELESS!".
I watch and speculate.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:16 am

Anno is a maniac of details, so I don't think that he made such an error in the term used. Also the official Western translations made it even less ambiguous by calling "The origin of Third Impact".

And I don't think that Shinji is dense to don't know what "epicenter" means, especially for a Japanese, whom country regularly suffers earthquakes!
He probably didn't picked up the contradiction because he was on a completely ravaged mental state, and also because Asuka attacked just after.

And she didn't even told him that he would trigger another Impact under different circumstances, but rather many screaming that he stop piloting and that he's a brat, that what made Shinji lose his shit when he tried to explain why he was piloting and she only responded that he "really" is a brat.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:13 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Anno is a maniac of details, so I don't think that he made such an error in the term used. Also the official Western translations made it even less ambiguous by calling "The origin of Third Impact".

And I don't think that Shinji is dense to don't know what "epicenter" means, especially for a Japanese, whom country regularly suffers earthquakes!
He probably didn't picked up the contradiction because he was on a completely ravaged mental state, and also because Asuka attacked just after.

You're forgetting something, Shinji was born in a post second impact world in which the Earth had tilted slightly more than before, it's possible Japan was rid of the Earthquakes as well as a few seasons along with it.
But then again, in school his teacher always raves about Second Impact being the cause of a meteor strike and epicentre would had been mentioned.
I watch and speculate.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:31 am

^
The meteor strike covert story was only in the original series, in Rebuild it's implied that everyone knows that 2I happened due to some bizarre alien intervention, how the hell do you hide a giant rainbow interdimensional vortex spanning an entire continent and that the whole oceans turned blood red and poisonous?!

Also, earthquakes are dependent of the tectonic plates, Earth's axis has nothing to do with this, so logically Japan is still subject to earthquakes.
And, as I said, epicenter is a common enough term that I doubt that Shinji wouldn't know its meaning.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:57 pm

Heres what I want to know. . . Is Shinji really Irredeemable at this point?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:04 pm

^
For that we first need to know what exactly he has to redeem himself for.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:11 pm

Well, he hasn’t masturbated to completion over the comatose body of Asuka. So, no. He’s not irredeemable by this point.

Though, I probably shouldn’t write a snarky response when the character already almost accidentally doomed the whole world twice. To be fair, he was naive to all of it when it happened the first time, and the second time he realized his mistake all too late.

I don’t know. This is Instrumentality we’re talking about. Maybe there’s a way to actually fix everything with it. Who knows?

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:17 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:To be perfectly honest. . . There are a lot of things from NGE that I wanted to see in Rebuild that we probably wont.

That giant fish Angel Gaghiel was one of my favorites. I was hoping to see him in Rebuild. . .Or at least make a cameo. But the redesign of Zeruel more than made up for it.

Another thing that bugged me about NGE was. . .we got German words, a German girl, a German guy on Seele. But we never got to actually see Post-Second Impact Germany!

I was hoping we'd get to see Germany in Rebuild in 3.0. . . But it looks like that's not going to happen. Ah well . . .

The giant fish Angel Gaghiel was awesome
But Wunder took his place , design wise
I mean come on , they are quite smilar shape , (just that one of them is able to fly with some mecanichal shit and angel rings )

:D :D

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:26 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I don’t know. This is Instrumentality we’re talking about. Maybe there’s a way to actually fix everything with it. Who knows?

Well, if Kaworu is to be believed, the Spear of Cassius will be needed for that, now the question is where the fuck this spear is, or if it really morphed into a Longinus like Kaworu hinted, how the hell do they turn it back into a Cassius?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:34 pm

The movie is called You Can (NOT) Redo. Pretty sure a magical fix all cure is impossible.

I meant irredeemable in the eyes of his friends Family and the general populace (Assuming he really is responsible for mass genocide and Gaiacide).

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:06 am

That's just depends how low and long he is willing to bend himself to gain a favor from people who scorn him. You know, kinda like trying to make popular group in school notice you. Degrading? Yes, but apparently so desirable.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:17 am

^
I just found out yesterday that Shinji in the French dub tells Misato and company to go fuck themselves :lol: You have no idea how awesome I think that is, I hope he said it while he was standing on Rei's Eva's hand, just for the dramatic exit effect. The only thing that could have made it better was if he was giving them the ol' double :finger: as he went, oh and for Asuka to be present.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:54 am

^
It was in the interrogation room, just before calling for Rei (so after Asuka left), he said "Allez tous vous faire foutre!" instead of the "Enough!" from the original Japanese, it really give the vibe of Shinji basically saying "Screw this shit, I'm outta here!", and in French!Shinji's 30 years old chain-smoker voice it's even more hilarious!

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:58 am

^
That sounds so awesome though :lol: Except for the smoker's voice, Shinji would never smoke :irked: He's too straight laced for that.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:13 am

View Original PostStillborn wrote:That's just depends how low and long he is willing to bend himself to gain a favor from people who scorn him.

With all due respect man. .
SPOILER: Show
, it's just a movie

Stillborn s pessimistic tone aside. . .what's next for Shinj and company at this point? How do you rebuild after being gone for 14 years?

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:19 am

^
Well first on the agenda..Forgiveness for everybody, except for maybe Gendo. Since I'm on the sequel theory side of the fence, there is a lot that needs to be forgiven in my mind, a lot.

Uhhhh, hmmm, one day at time as usual for rebuilding something.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:35 am

^^

It never stopped me from being invested before. Futile? Probably. But I still pity the kid and get disgusted at certain mindsets.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:14 am

^
And what do you want him to do, kill everyone out of spite? Sure he'll feel all better and happy after that!

Again, we're not saying that everything is his fault, but the fact remains that he screw-up by not listening to Kaworu, and Kaworu screw-up too for not explaining better his plan to Shinji, and WILLE screw-up by acting like passive-aggressive dicks and later not wanting to listen to Shinji in Lilith's Chamber.
Everyone in this movie screw-up, hell even SEELE screw-up by trusting Gendo again, now what all the good guys need to do in FINAL is to sit down, take a deep breath and fucking talk to each other and share what they know and how they feel, and then for once they'll have a chance to not be completely played by Gendo.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:19 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:^
Well first on the agenda..Forgiveness for everybody, except for maybe Gendo.

Gendo doesn't need your petty forgiveness. :gendo:

I'm personally hoping to see the fulfillment of Gendo's master plan. I think that the only person really fit to confront Gendo is Shinji, and I think it would be most effective within an Instrumentality sequence. If Gendo's vision of Instrumentality is to create a utopia for himself and his wife, he might try to sell the idea of it to Shinji, who would quite honestly be very tempted to accept. I want to see this sort of conflict in the climax of the film, rather than Willie stopping Gendo and preventing Final Impact altogether.

After all these failed and unseen Impacts, I want to see one actually and finally succeed! It shall be glorious! :devil:
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:27 am

^^

Nah. I don't see Shinji actually killing anyone out of spite. But they scorned him and apparently are perfectly fine without him. So I just want Shinji to pay with the same coin. I don't want to see him begging for acceptance. I would prefer if he searched relationship and maybe friendship in different places than WILLE. They don't want him around, so why should he beg to be around? Let him move on and disappear from their lives and WILLE from his. They don't want him so he should stop wanting them. Simple as that.
Another jaded man.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”