How did the SDAT get from the Wunder to the Geofront?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
iihieiii
Lilith

How did the SDAT get from the Wunder to the Geofront?

•      
  •      

Postby iihieiii » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:55 am

[Split from here in the 4.0 speculation thread. - Monk]

View Original Postrobersora wrote:^
then that could be an explanation of why Shinji's tape recorder surfaces again miraculosly in Geofront, after Shinji forgets it in Wunder

OMG! I didn't notice! How the recorder were in the geofront anyway? :huh:

Just re-watched the scene... The mofu also don't have any pockets on his clothes!

That I'd like to see Anno explain! :lol:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:46 am

Later in Q, Shinji wanted to thanks ReiQ for the SDAT, meaning that he didn't took it while escaping with Mark.09 and though that ReiQ was the one who brought it... but how the hell could she have done it with the giant hands of her Evangelion?

Makes me wonder if it wasn't Kaworu who got one spare SDAT and put it on the table next to Shinji's bed while he was unconscious in the "hospital" room, so he would have something familiar we he woke up...
Or maybe he hided something important inside it?
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

iihieiii
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby iihieiii » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:03 am

Later in Q, Shinji wanted to thanks ReiQ for the SDAT, meaning that he didn't took it while escaping with Mark.09 and though that ReiQ was the one who brought it... but how the help could she done it with the giant hands of her Evangelion?

Jez Anno failed 2 times now...1 in the DSS neck scene and 2 on the SDATA thing...shame lol

Or maybe he hided something important inside it?

Sorry...didn't understand what you said...what you mean by that...=P

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:02 am

Sorry...didn't understand what you said...what you mean by that...=P

Well, maybe Kaworu had an SDAT and hid a message or some important information in it and planned to give it to Shinji pretending that it was Shinji's own that he lost 14 years ago.
Another theory is that when Shinji gave his broken SDAT to Kaworu and asked him to fix it, Kaworu took the opportunity to hide something inside it.
But so far that's just speculations.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:54 am

[Split from here in the 4.0 speculation thread. - Monk]

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Later in Q, Shinji wanted to thanks ReiQ for the SDAT, meaning that he didn't took it while escaping with Mark.09 and though that ReiQ was the one who brought it... but how the hell could she have done it with the giant hands of her Evangelion?

Wrong. Shinji wanted to thank ReiQ for fishing his SDAT out of the trash in 2.0, not for retrieving it from the Wunder with giant Eva hands. :lol:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:43 am

Either way, Shinji didn't pick it when he escaped with Mark.09, so someone else must have picked it, and unless Quantum Rei made a lighting quick passage in the interrogation room to take it without Misato, Ritsuko and Sakura noticing, it means that Rei Q somehow managed to take it with her giant EVA hands, or that the S-DAT Shinji had in neo-NERV wasn't the same S-DAT.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:50 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Either way, Shinji didn't pick it when he escaped with Mark.09, so someone else must have picked it, and unless Quantum Rei made a lighting quick passage in the interrogation room to take it without Misato, Ritsuko and Sakura noticing, it means that Rei Q somehow managed to take it with her giant EVA hands, or that the S-DAT Shinji had in neo-NERV wasn't the same S-DAT.

When it reappears it seems to be in the same plastic wrapper Wille put it in, so it seems to be the same S-DAT. I doubt S-DATs are very common in the post-3I world. The only explanation for it teleporting that I can think of is either Shinji grabbed it when the Mark.09 broke in, or ReiQ grabbed it, or it was transported to Nerv somehow by a spy aboard the Wunder (although the last one seems supremely unlikely).
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

iihieiii
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby iihieiii » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:55 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:When it reappears it seems to be in the same plastic wrapper Wille put it in, so it seems to be the same S-DAT. I doubt S-DATs are very common in the post-3I world. The only explanation for it teleporting that I can think of is either Shinji grabbed it when the Mark.09 broke in, or ReiQ grabbed it, or it was transported to Nerv somehow by a spy aboard the Wunder (although the last one seems supremely unlikely).

Also the bastard Anno LOL changed the time between SDATA from 2.0 to 3.0 a couple minutes...just to make us more confusing -o-;

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:26 am

The ghost Rei haunting Nerv materialized another one for Shinji, obviously.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:03 am

I thought he thanked Rei because he thought it was 2.0 Rei, and that Rei took the SDAT that Shinji had thrown away and it ended up in Eva-01 again.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:52 am

I'd ask the complete opposite question: How did it ever leave Shinji's possession in the first place? Does anyone here even know?

Sure, we assume he put it down, but there's no shot establishing that he did. We didn't see a shot of him leaving it on the Wunder. We didn't see a shot of him putting it down somewhere on the Wunder and never picking it back up. We didn't see a shot of him dropping it somewhere on the Wunder and forgetting about it. There's no close-up of the SDAT Player sitting on the floor in the foreground as Shinji left with Rei in the background. There isn't a shot of Shinji leaving with Rei in the foreground with the SDAT Player laying on the floor somewhere in the background. There's nothing that establishes that he left it anywhere. If there was, then we'd know exactly where he left it on the Wunder; on a table, desk, bench, floor, metal chair, something, somewhere... But we don't get anything establishing where he left it or how it left him, so we can't say for sure that it did that either.

The last we saw the SDAT Player before Shinji leaves the Wunder, it was with Shinji. So it leaves very little room to infer that it somehow left his possession, especially without a shot establishing that, and especially when we see that it's still in his possession in the scenes following his exodus from the Wunder.

So, what this basically comes down to is one of two things: It's either a continuity error (most likely), or Shinji stored it somewhere on his person. (He could have pinned it between the overlapping areas of his hospital gown, but again, there isn't a shot establishing that either.) After all, video game characters can pull objects that seemingly come from nowhere that "they've stored on their person." This usually happens without the player doing any real critical thinking about how or where the objects are being stored. I'm not saying that this is a form of logic that works in a video game, but rather it's a similar error that's constantly (and often times intentionally) made in a video game for simplicity's sake, and it isn't criticized half as much in video games as it is in film, despite it being more prominent in video games, to the point where it almost becomes a fundamental rule in video games.

And, as far as continuity errors go, this one with the SDAT Player is rather small, insignificant, and relatively unnoticeable. It really doesn't distract from the emotion, pacing, or importance of the scene. The extreme close-up shot establishing that the STAD Player is in Shinji's possession is prominent enough so that, unless you've watching it often enough to have a wandering eye, any mid-shot or long, full-body shot of Shinji not having the SDAT Player is practically unnoticeable.

At this point, it's like asking how Shinji got dressed into his plug suit in Episode 20 of NGE, after he already entered the Eva in his school clothes in Episode 19. It's a continuity error. And the SDAT Player error is smaller than the wardrobe one in NGE, so I guess I wouldn't focus too much on it.

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:53 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:When it reappears it seems to be in the same plastic wrapper Wille put it in, so it seems to be the same S-DAT. I doubt S-DATs are very common in the post-3I world. The only explanation for it teleporting that I can think of is either Shinji grabbed it when the Mark.09 broke in, or ReiQ grabbed it, or it was transported to Nerv somehow by a spy aboard the Wunder (although the last one seems supremely unlikely).

I do believe people are over-thinking this too much.

Occam's Razor points to this being a simple animation error.

The staff were all so focused on drawing and animating a cool-ass drama moment in the midst of battle that they forgot to add in the SDAT player and the editors missed it too. While it's a major plot coupon that is used many times, it is also such a small item that it could easily be missed in scenes where its presence is not the focus.
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:06 am

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:The staff were all so focused on drawing and animating a cool-ass drama moment in the midst of battle that they forgot to add in the SDAT player and the editors missed it too.

Either that, or they just didn't think it was an obvious enough error that justified re-animating a whole scene. Given that editors probably look at the footage more often in a single day than most people who notice these errors to in the times it takes them to notice this, they probably caught it but ultimately decided to leave it as is.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:53 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Later in Q, Shinji wanted to thanks ReiQ for the SDAT, meaning that he didn't took it while escaping with Mark.09 and though that ReiQ was the one who brought it...

He was still mistaking her for Rei II and thanking her for bringing it with him; The way he holds it out to her suggests that meant to let her keep it as a keepsake (and sort of "give himself to her", seeing how the player is used throughout the trilogy), but it's just a random electronic appliance to this new Rei....

...Shinji is notably still holding it when the alarmbells first ring and the Mk. 9 arrives, and we never see him put it away, even if one of the next shots has him dramatically hit the windows.
Perhaps his outfit does have some inside pockets or something?
Anno probably just forgot that Shinji was still supposed to be holding it to do that painful closeup of his fists as he bangs against the glass/emphasize his feelings of powerlessness and frustration.

Someone with the BD see if its in any of the mk 9 related panorama shots.

...personally, I'm way more interested in the question of, "How did Shinji get in the school uniform?"
Did ReiQ undress him while he was unconcious?
Imagine if he had woken up halfway through the procedure XD
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:15 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:...personally, I'm way more interested in the question of, "How did Shinji get in the school uniform?"
Did ReiQ undress him while he was unconcious?
Imagine if he had woken up halfway through the procedure XD

Kind of a tangent, but he was awake when the Mark. 09 took him from the Wunder and went flying. Maybe he got dressed in the hospital room before falling asleep on the bed.

Back on topic, you can't really get a good view of Shinji's hands when the Mark. 09 is getting wailed on by the fleet, and Misato explaining some things to him. Maybe he's holding in the scene but because his hands aren't really the focus, they didn't give enough detail to them to show he's holding it?
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:24 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Kind of a tangent, but he was awake when the Mark. 09 took him from the Wunder and went flying. Maybe he got dressed in the hospital room before falling asleep on the bed.

Except he looks at Rei and thinks, "I knew it, she really IS alive!" like what we last saw is the last thing he remembers, nothing with seeing her get off her EVA or anything.

---

This EVA just sported a jetpack and went through insane speed/acelleration at high altitudes; That's more than enough to knock out an un-athletic, stressed-out teenager.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:25 am

The player is absent from the shots after the one that established it being in his possession.
SPOILER: Show

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:12 pm

The missing SDAT in the "Out of the Dark" sequence is the most glaring continuity error in the film. Shinji clearly isn't holding it throughout the scene. Ordinarily, this would just be another goof, but considering that the SDAT is apparently a plot critical device in all of the rebuild films, this is one notable goof. The films often make a point of showing exactly where Shinji's SDAT is on a number of occassions, including in 3.0 itself.

In the absence of other evidence, all we can assume is that Shinji's gown contains some kind of pocket into which he has placed the SDAT. That or it somehow fell into Eva-00 and hung on somehow.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Yeah, I say goof.
Definitely goof. See also the dissapearing DSS choker.

Didn't we hear that this scene was redone insane amounts of times because Anno couldn't be satisfied with it, before he finally went and drew some of the frames himself?
This a guy who's liable to occasionally forget the main characters exist... not surprising he forgot a music player.

I'd handwave it away with hidden pockets or stuff.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:39 pm

There are shots of a missing DSS Choker? I must have missed that the animators must have missed that.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”