Eva 3.0 Film Reviews

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:11 pm

@ gatotsu911 & SSD : Wait, who are you talking about? :???:

As for 3.0 splitting the fans, I think it comes from a combination of the fact that we don't know anything about what happened during the time skip(or even that there was a time skip!), that an huge and apparently really exciting part of the story was missed through that time skip(I mean : SEELE and Gendo's machinations being publicly revealed? Misato and co. splitting to form their own organization? SEELE being fought heads on? Asuka and Mari's many missions? That sounds awesome!), and also probably that all the progresses Shinji made with 2.0, namely the fact that he finally understood that mopping around and hoping that his wishes happens isn't the right way to go, as well as finally found his reason to pilot(protect the people he cares for) got utterly crushed by everything that happens to him during the movie(be it the treatment he got from his former "family" at WILLE or the mind-crushing revelations about the magnitude of what his actions 14 years prior(supposedly) brought to the world or the truth about Yui and Rei) to the point that in the end of Q he reverted back to the state of catatonic dead-weight he was during EoE, something most of the audience(the Western one in any case) probably wished would never happen again.

Finally add to that his monumental screw-up in Lilith's Chamber, where he seems to have grabbed a Black Moon sized Idiot Ball(although the reasons are more complexes) and made him trigger an Impact again, and I think that was the recipe for the highly polarizing nature of the movie among the audience.

About the review : a fairly positive one, it changes from the screaming rage I seems to see almost everywhere else(except in EGF of course), although there are some points with which I disagree, notably treating Shinji's lack of curiosity when in neo-NERV as a blunder : for me, this lack of curiosity was fairly consistent with his personality, see the scene in 1.0 where he didn't asked Misato about what he just saw(Sachiel attacking Tokyo-3) because he immediately assumed that he wouldn't be answered, maybe that was part of what Mari referred to when she told him to get to know the world : to stop passively submit to everything that happens around him and start to ask question and look for answers.

I especially liked that passage at the beginning of the article resuming 3.0:
Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo is a film about personal redemption. It is a film that is centered on the element of understanding one’s own past wrongdoings and being able to confront those wrongs in an attempt to free oneself from the past. It is a film about honestly taking a step towards understanding the world around you and how one’s past actions can greatly affect those you care for. But it is also a film showcasing how one can easily fall back upon the same actions that led to those past transgressions in an attempt to address the problems they face in the present.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:15 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Weirdly enough (at least from what I've heard), he left the fandom because of 3.0. :shrug:

Wait, who? :huh:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:39 pm

Wunderbah, ElMariachi: Just somebody who years ago caused a lot of drama and in-fighting regarding the Eva fandom.

FWIW, here's some various Japanese reviews: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13446/30-Reactions-and-Reviews-from-Viewers-Japan/ As seen by Xard's post, the fandom really is split. -o-;

As far as reviews from the West go, I really enjoyed ANN's 2.0 review. (Bethany Base = North Pole. I guess the name made them think it was in Israel.) I'm interested to see their thoughts on 3.0, I guess once 3.0's out on U.S. BD/DVD.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:14 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Weirdly enough (at least from what I've heard), he left the fandom because of 3.0. :shrug:

He also let the domain name and hosting of his forum die. Some other members of the forum restarted under a new but similar name, with hosting arranged by the writer of that review. V (like Harry Potter, I don't believe in hiding names) came by after a while and made a couple of posts, but hasn't stayed around.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:40 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:(Bethany Base = North Pole. I guess the name made them think it was in Israel.)

Slightly off topic, but I remember that the booklet with the blu-ray of 2.22 mentioned precisely the sea in which Bethany Base was located(unfortunately, I don't have this booklet).
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:22 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I remember that the booklet with the blu-ray of 2.22 mentioned precisely the sea in which Bethany Base was located(unfortunately, I don't have this booklet).

The booklet just mentions it's at the North Pole: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Bethany_Base#cite_note-2booklet-1

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:45 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:This is the only really positive Eva 3.0 review I've found so far: [url]http://www.graffitiwithpunctuation.net/2013/09/25/reel-anime-2013-review-centerpiece-evangelion-3-0-can-redo/[/url]

Wow, that is a VERY positive review. Almost florescently glowing. I'm sure there are reviews out there that're less... amicable than this one - this one just screams "Anno is a genius" right off the bat, lol
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:03 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:The booklet just mentions it's at the North Pole: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Bethany_Base#cite_note-2booklet-1

I said that because in the French version of the booklet, it mentions the something-arctic sea, IIRC correctly it's in the region near Russia and the European Union(logical)

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:12 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Since we only have the Japanese reviews thread, I thought it'd be nice to post this one (January 12th 2013): http://www.isugoi.com/evangelion-3-0-you-can-not-redo-review/

I think i wanted to blow my brains out after reading the second comment below the review.

As if Anno was apparently suppose to pander towards people's wishes on what they want in Eva.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:00 pm

Can I get some links to some positive reviews of 3.0? Most reviews I've seen are rage filled hate fests.

I mean seriously! Where can I find a few positive reviews?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:19 pm

This review from page 1 of this thread

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:(January 12th 2013): http://www.isugoi.com/evangelion-3-0-you-can-not-redo-review/

felt pretty positive to me.

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:48 am

http://www.electric-shadows.com/evangelion-3-0-you-can-not-redo/

Compared to plenty of other negative reviews I've seen, this one isn't too vocal even while criticizing Q.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:22 am

It does raise interesting point and main fears of the fans waiting for FINAL : mainly, paraphrasing the review, "Anno's reluctance to reveal what has occurred in the fourteen years Shinji’s been hibernating, squandering a potentially interesting game of story catch-up" (honestly, we're almost as lost at the end of the movie than we were at the beginning), and that both this new setting which might be uninteresting (another post-apocalyptic setting) and the reduced member of characters (we don't even have the scenes of crowds showing us that the world were the characters live is supposed to be alive, which was probably the point) and even more narrowed narrative (the POV is almost exclusively on Shinji) risk to make people simply not care anymore about the answers or the characters' fate.

Everything will depend on what FINAL will present us : if it manages to breath life and interest into this post-apocalyptic world (like showing us giant and proud Lilin settlements/WILLE bases full of life and hope like the ones the 2015 calendar inferred), give us some explanations about WTF happened during the time skip (at least the events surrounding Third Impact to know what are Shinji's sins) and to make the characters interesting (having conversations between them, seeing them outside of combat situations, get Shinji to know them) or even a come back of some of them (Kaji, Hikari, Kensuke...); then Rebuild will be remembered as an ambitious series that masterfully used the pit of darkness presented by Q to throw into an unsuspected new direction.
If it fails to do that, meaning that it fails to make us care for this world and what happens to the character in it, then Rebuild will be remembered as a shallow story hiding behind pretty images and good music and using a big twist midway for the shocking value.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:15 pm

I already care about the world and the characters in it. Maybe you don't, but that doesn't have anything to do with what "Rebuild will be remembered as". You're casting you own feelings as the judgment of (anime) history. When we say Evangelion must do X Y and Z, we run into trouble. People who walked into End of Evangelion saying, you know, "EOE must tell us who shot Kaji!" probably missed out on enjoying a great film.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:59 pm

Oh don't get me wrong, I do care for this new world, I even found it and its mysteries absolutely fascinating!

I'm just telling what I think the main reaction risk to be if FINAL doesn't deliver some answers and expand a little more that world and the characters living in it.

TheDrmcvey
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TheDrmcvey » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:14 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:It does raise interesting point and main fears of the fans waiting for FINAL : mainly that, paraphrasing the review, "Anno's reluctance to reveal what has occurred in the fourteen years Shinji’s been hibernating, squandering a potentially interesting game of story catch-up" (honestly, we're almost as lost at the end of the movie than we were at the beginning), and that both this new setting which might be uninteresting (another post-apocalyptic setting) and the reduced member of characters (we don't even have the scenes of crowds showing us that the world the characters are is supposed to be alive, which was probably the point) and even more narrowed narrative (the POV is almost exclusively of Shinji) risk to make people simply not care anymore about the answers or the characters fate.

Everything will depend on what FINAL will present us : if it manage to breath life and interest into this post-apocalyptic world (like showing us giant and proud Lilin settlements/WILLE bases full of life and hope like the ones the 2015 calendar inferred), give us some explanations about WTF happened during the time skip (at least the events surrounding Third Impact to know what are Shinji's sins) and to make the characters interesting (having conversations between them, seeing them outside of combat situations, get Shinji to know them) or even a come back of some of them (Kaji, Hikari, Kensuke...); then Rebuild will be remembered as an ambitious series that masterfully used the pit of darkness presented by Q to throw into an unsuspected new direction.
If it fails to do that, meaning that it fails to make us care for this world and what happens to the character in it, then Rebuild will be remembered as a shallow story hiding behind pretty images and good music and using a big twist midway for the shocking value.

I'm on the same boat as you are. It's do or die here, and Anno knows that. However, he is investing a lot of time into this project, so my hopes are still up that he delivers. He has the perfect set-up, now he needs the execution.

Gendo'sPapa Who knows? Maybe this next film will change a lot of people's opinions, and it will be well loved in the anime community.
Eva Rebirth

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:38 pm

http://wrongeverytime.com/2014/02/10/once-more-with-fury-rebuilding-evangelion/

Don't know if this was already posted, but even with a few things i disagree with in here, its a pretty fascinating read on Rebuild as a whole alongside Q.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:51 pm

I posted that on several other walls. . .but no worries.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:53 pm

That was a great read! Even if it has been shared before, thank you for sharing once more.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:58 am

View Original PostWunderBah wrote:http://wrongeverytime.com/2014/02/10/once-more-with-fury-rebuilding-evangelion/

Don't know if this was already posted, but even with a few things i disagree with in here, its a pretty fascinating read on Rebuild as a whole alongside Q.

:clap:
Fantastic stuff!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”