Original Funimation Dub of Eva 3.0 Found

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
CSManiac33
Embryo

Original Funimation Dub of Eva 3.0 Found

•      
  •      

Postby CSManiac33 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:16 am

Someone acquired a screener DVD from the theatrical run
https://twitter.com/pkmncrystalVEVO/sta ... 72706?s=20

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Re: Original Funimation Dub of Eva 3.0 Found

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:44 am

Is it the famous original dub that they showed in an anime convention with people from Khara present that made many people laugh and made Khara completely change the dubbing?
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:11 am

I've just listened to some of it, and yeah, this definitely isn't the dub I'm used to. It is curious though, already I can tell some lines are the exact same as the released dub on Home Video, which confirms that it wasn't a complete redub that occurred when the order to redub it after the theatrical screenings was made.

This dub uses actual swearing though, Asuka has a couple uses of "Shit" in the opening scene alone. I'm very curious to watch this in full later.

This also means I now have three sources for the upcoming Definitive Dub of 3.33 whenever I get to it... Funimation Theatrical, Funimation Home Video, and Amazon/Dubbing Brothers. Joy.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:43 am

By the way, is it just the sound, or the sound and image?
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:59 am

Just the sound. You've got to sync it up to your own copy yourself.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:36 am

View Original PostCoolJosh2002 wrote:
This also means I now have three sources for the upcoming Definitive Dub of 3.33 whenever I get to it... Funimation Theatrical, Funimation Home Video, and Amazon/Dubbing Brothers. Joy.

How is that project coming along, btw?

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:59 am

mastafishere wrote:How is that project coming along, btw?

On Episode 18 currently. Big Episodes coming up.

But we should keep this thread on topic. Has anyone watched it all the way through yet? What kind've changes did Funi/Khara make?

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:25 pm

Saw this, amazing piece of lost media to find! So crazy we can now hear 3.0 three different ways in English with Shinji, Asuka, Misato, and Sakura the same actors in every version. Now we wait if there's a fourth version once an English release of 3.333 comes out, gotta at least switch out that one Asuka line, right?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:50 pm

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:Now we wait if there's a fourth version once an English release of 3.333 comes out, gotta at least switch out that one Asuka line, right?

What line are you talking about?

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:51 pm

I haven't listened to the old dub yet but I was lucky enough to watch one of the few screenings that had it years ago. The one line I never forgot was right before the title card, Asuka says something like "He's not an idiot, he's just an asshole" which got howling laughter from the crowd. I can't wait to hear it again!

EDIT: Went to download the file from the Twitter link provided and that's the very line they have highlighted in the Tweet! It does leave an impression!

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:37 pm

Couple side by side comparisons of some of the other changes between the Theatrical and Home Release versions.
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:45 pm

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:So crazy we can now hear 3.0 three different ways in English with Shinji, Asuka, Misato, and Sakura the same actors in every version.

Yeah, I mean... These guys were either bored by having to redub the same movie three times or they were happy with the money they made out of it! XD

Also, it's always good to see lost media resurfacing ^_^
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:47 pm

So I've watched it in full now and...

Did we really need to wait 3 years for Funi to partially redub it for the Home Video Release? A lot of the Theatrical Dub is the exact same, and honestly, I really like some of the things here that were later changed for the Home release: Like calling the Spears, Lances, Asuka calling Shinji by his name instead of "Brat!" before he pulls the Lances/Spears from Lilith's body in the third act, Asuka calling Mari "Four-Eyes" instead of "Four-Eyed Crony". I don't even mind the use of swearing throughout the Theatrical Dub, of which I counted four real instances, along with a few "Goddammit's" from Asuka.

Of course, there are things in the released dub that I like more: The Technobabble is generally much clearer and easier to digest in the released dub, and of course corrections to some lines to make them more accurate.

Honestly, some lines here are arguably more accurate than what we would get in the later released dub. Like Kaworu realizing he's fallen from the 1st Angel to the 13th is correct here, where it became "defeated by the 13th" in the Home Video Dub.

It's honestly a really interesting watch, some things I like more, other things I like more in the Home Video Dub. I'd still go as far as to say I prefer the Theatrical Dub to the Amazon Prime Dub as well.

When the time comes to work on 3.33 for the Definitive Dub, I'll take aspects from both Funi dubs I think.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:21 am

Yeah, in the end it's much ado about nothing, although personally I found that some of the original lines feeling more authentic than the later Home Video version, such as Sakura talking about how nerve-wracking it is to be on the bridge during an alert, I don't see why Khara flipped out so hard about this version.

But the main change that I regret is Mari's line against Mark.09: "At least acknowledge that I blew your head off!" is absolutely precious, from what little I've heard, she seemed to have a more savage and sarcastic personality in the original dubs ("Point blank, shithead!" in 2.0) which IMHO makes her stand out more.
Although if this version of Mari is not the one Khara envisioned when they created her, then I can understand why they requested her lines to be changed.

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:29 am

ElMariachi wrote:Yeah, in the end it's much ado about nothing, although personally I found that some of the original lines feeling more authentic than the later Home Video version, such as Sakura talking about how nerve-wracking it is to be on the bridge during an alert, I don't see why Khara flipped out so hard about this version.

I found that quite a few lines that ended up changed didn't really need to be changed at all. Most of it was pretty accurate.

I'm more baffled about that Kaworu line I mentioned. Especially when they got the line right the first time.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:35 am

I was expecting more changes to the Shinji + Kaworu scenes, seeing as how they were always thought to have been what pushed Khara to change everything. I'm not saying the changes made are pointless, but the changes I see here aren't anything out of the ordinary within terms of other anime dubs, so I wonder why it was worth it to delay everything for three years while they sorted everything out.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:16 am

Taking out the goddamn's is something I can live with - parts of that original 3.0 dub did put me in mind of this - especially Asuka saying they had to go "balls to the wall". Correcting the emphasis on Nagisa is a positive change. That Sakura line change is a head-tilter though. Why would a young medical officer be excited to be in the crosshairs during a battle?

View Original PostCoolJosh2002 wrote:Asuka calling Mari "Four-Eyes" instead of "Four-Eyed Crony".

Neither of these are good alternatives. "Four-Eyes" sounds like Asuka is being at best insulting and at worst abelist when Thrice makes it clear they are close friends. After all who else gets to give Shikinami a hug and live to tell the tale?

Meanwhile "Four-Eyed Crony" is clunky and again given what we later learn about Mari "crony" is an incorrect usage of the word.

What should it be? Not sure, but not this and not that.

But the main change that I regret is Mari's line against Mark.09: "At least acknowledge that I blew your head off!" is absolutely precious, from what little I've heard, she seemed to have a more savage and sarcastic personality in the original dubs ("Point blank, shithead!" in 2.0) which IMHO makes her stand out more.

She's still pretty snarky when giving as good as she gets from Asuka in that opening scene but yeah since the 2.0 they've been slowing filing the edges off Mari. Also what doesn't help is that while I'm sure she's very talented but her second VA is woefully mis-cast and/or given woeful direction.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:23 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:
View Original PostCoolJosh2002#939278 wrote:Asuka calling Mari "Four-Eyes" instead of "Four-Eyed Crony".

Neither of these are good alternatives. "Four-Eyes" sounds like Asuka is being at best insulting and at worst abelist when Thrice makes it clear they are close friends. After all who else gets to give Shikinami a hug and live to tell the tale?

Meanwhile "Four-Eyed Crony" is clunky and again given what we later learn about Mari "crony" is an incorrect usage of the word.

What should it be? Not sure, but not this and not that.

The main problem IMHO is that Asuka's Japanese nickname for Mari is a pun that is impossible to translate in English: her nickname in Japanese is Konemegane, which is both a pun on "honemegane" ("horn-rimmed glasses", the type of glasses Mari wears) and also literally means "glasses (girl) with connections", which is a continuation of her initial nicknames for Rei ("Commander's pet") and Shinji ("Commander's son/brat") that showed her feelings that they got to be pilots not on their merits, but on their connections. Which in Mari's case serves to hint at either that Asuka still resent Mari for stealing and trashing her Unit 02 in 2.0 (thanks to her connection with Kaji's people), or that her being well connected let her get the brand new Unit 08 while Asuka had to keep the battered up 02. In short, that hints of an old history between them that serves to show how they have been sisters-in-arms for a long time now.

But again, it's completely impossible to translate in English with a term that is simple enough to not feel clunky, hence why the dub first kept only the surface-level of its sense ("Glasses"), before being corrected by Khara into the "four-eyed crony", which is closer to the intended initial Japanese meaning, but pretty clunky in another language.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:07 pm

Yeah, there's must be a pun or something that would do the same job. But if there is I can't think of it over the course of several years.

Best I can do is "Kiss-Ass in Glasses" but again not really a description of what Mari is.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:05 pm

Someone proposed "Speccy suck-up", although even then it carries the implication that Mari sucks up to the hierarchy rather than simply being well connected.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”