Why is Asuka so nice to Hikari?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:31 pm

View Original PostIuvenal wrote:Asuka throwin' up the horns (new headcannon: she got her degree at Texas A&M)

View Original PostPurpleandRed wrote:Asuka don't sound like she been to Texas.

But that is where it was dubbed. So... yeah...

PurpleandRed
Adam

Postby PurpleandRed » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:34 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:But that is where it was dubbed. So... yeah...

Oh, yeah, I mean, originally, she didn't seem like she was from Texas.
Asuka, you're not going to have any children.

You don't care about Hikari anymore, Asuka?

I want somebody to kick Asuka's butt! She is stupid, vain, and cries like a spoiled brat! Is there a game where you can kick her butt?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:07 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:But that is where it was dubbed. So... yeah...

ADV was (...is, due to their possible revival??) in Houston, yep. College Station (A&M location) is a good 2 hours away.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Iuvenal » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:22 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:ADV was (...is, due to their possible revival??) in Houston, yep. College Station (A&M location) is a good 2 hours away.

Penn State's main campus is full of folks from Philly and Pittsburgh despite State College being three hours from [s]civlilization[/s] either of those places v0v

And besides, isn't everything far apart in Texas?
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

LordThaeon
Lilith

Postby LordThaeon » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:12 am

I'm not sure about how exactly Asuka and Hikari became friends, but I'm not surprised. Probably because I see that the two characters are actually kind of similar.

Both are stern, both are "authoritarian", both have tough exteriors, both "push people around", both have a crush on a boy that annoys/frustrates them and both are pseudo-perfectionists. Hikari's a milder version of the cliche, but both girls are tsunderes.

The difference being that Hikari is more socially approachable, responsible, likable and mature for her age whereas Asuka's got an inflated ego and enough emotional baggage to sink the Titanic (like most of the main characters). But they may have enough similarities to have created a bond which resulted in a friendship.
FF Profile

"Please explain that again without insulting my intelligence."

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:29 am

View Original PostLordThaeon wrote:Both are stern, both are "authoritarian", both have tough exteriors, both "push people around", both have a crush on a boy that annoys/frustrates them and both are pseudo-perfectionists. Hikari's a milder version of the cliche, but both girls are tsunderes.

Neither is tsundere. Hikari is stern in her role as class rep but is sweetness and light otherwise, and Asuka is pure tsun the vast majority of the time. The tsundere archetype is the whole "it's not like I like you or anything, dummy!" bs, and neither woman practices that.

(Asuka inspired the tsundere archetype, but she is not herself a good example of it. Shikinami, OTOH, is a classic tsundere in every sense of the word.)
Last edited by Bagheera on Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:44 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Shikinami, OTOH, is a classic tsundere in every sense of the word.)

Does this include in 3.0?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:05 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Does this include in 3.0?

She's pretty harsh there. Get back to me once Final's out.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

PurpleandRed
Adam

Postby PurpleandRed » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:41 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The tsundere archetype is the whole "it's not like I like you or anything, dummy!" bs, and neither woman practices that.

Young ladies.

I'm not sure about how exactly Asuka and Hikari became friends, but I'm not surprised. Probably because I see that the two characters are actually kind of similar.

I don't like it how people don't develop people's relationships.
Asuka, you're not going to have any children.

You don't care about Hikari anymore, Asuka?

I want somebody to kick Asuka's butt! She is stupid, vain, and cries like a spoiled brat! Is there a game where you can kick her butt?

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Why is Asuka such a goody two shoes to whatsherface?

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:26 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That's because she's not really mean to anyone.

Well, there was that guy she left waiting for the roller coaster...

She also doesn't mind talking back to adults; Ritsuko and Fuyutsuki both got earfuls from her.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Why is Asuka such a goody two shoes to whatsherface?

Postby Bagheera » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:33 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Well, there was that guy she left waiting for the roller coaster...

Med student.

13-year-old girl.

I'd run like hell, too.

I think there must be some translation issue there, because otherwise Hikari set up something that's pretty clearly illegal. Even if Asuka was 14 (technically the age of consent, and the stated age of the pilots) it would still be pretty skeevy, and not something I'd expect a woman of character such as Hikari to do.

She also doesn't mind talking back to adults; Ritsuko and Fuyutsuki both got earfuls from her.

Well, if anyone deserved it . . .

(Okay, Gendo did too, but he never talked to her so he was never an option.)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:06 pm

Daily reminder that the age of consent in Tentacle Rape Land is actually 18, the lower ages of consent are all superseded. I don't see why that would be inexplicably reversed in Eva.

Agree that the med student thing has to be a mistranslation, even pre-med would be weird.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:36 pm

I'm looking at episode #15 and nothing about Asuka's date is said except that he's someone a friend of Kodama's knows and Asuka finds him boring. What am I missing here?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:44 pm

Here's the bit from the dub:
Misato: I'm home!
Asuka: What's happening?
Misato: You better go to bed, Asuka. Don't you have a date tomorrow?
Asuka: With some med student. Oh, Misato! Can I use your lavender perfume?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:00 pm

Blue Basilisk: Ah, that helps. I have no idea where they got "med student" from. Asuka's response is "Bikei to" (美形と), which the Platinum subs translate appropriately as "With a hunk".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

LordThaeon
Lilith

Postby LordThaeon » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:41 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Neither is tsundere. Hikare is stern in her role as class rep but is sweetness and light otherwise, and Asuka is pure tsun the vast majority of the time. The tsundere archetype is the whole "it's not like I like you or anything, dummy!" bs, and neither woman practices that.

(Asuka inspired the tsundere archetype, but she is not herself a good example of it. Shikinami, OTOH, is a classic tsundere in every sense of the word.)

Really? Asuka seems close enough to a tsundere regarding whatever she feels for Shinji, though it goes in a non-classic example due to the deconstructive tone and...well, it's evangelion. Tough exterior with a hidden softness? And Hikari is much milder, but still close enough to count.

Tropes/Cliches aren't necessarily bad as long as something interesting comes out of it.
FF Profile

"Please explain that again without insulting my intelligence."

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:52 pm

View Original PostLordThaeon wrote:Really?

Yup. Asuka's never really nice to Shinji, and she doesn't have the warm fuzzies for him, either. She wants his attention, but that's less because she likes him than because Kaji's rejected her and she wants validation from someone she deems appropriate. And Shinji's a terrible choice in her eyes, but he's an Eva pilot so he's all she's got.

As I said, it's not tsundere when the character's all tsun and no dere.

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Iuvenal » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:18 pm

IMO the closest she has to a classic tsundere moment is peeping on Shinji recovering in the hospital after his Together Time with Leliel and scooting when he realized she was there.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:30 pm

View Original PostIuvenal wrote:IMO the closest she has to a classic tsundere moment is peeping on Shinji recovering in the hospital after his Together Time with Leliel and scooting when he realized she was there.

Yes, that's absolutely correct. That is literally the only tsundere moment she has in the entire series . . . for all the rest it's tsun tsun all the way.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Some other entries. BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:56 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Yes, that's absolutely correct. That is literally the only tsundere moment she has in the entire series

What about right as he saves her in ep. 10? Insulting him in a soft-spoken, affectionate way? Or her fishing in episode 9 to find out whether he tried to kiss her as she kind of wanted as the "Wall of Jericho" extras in... 22' I think implied.

Was also going to list her short chat with Rei about Shinji in ep. 19, but there she was just pretty reserved and distant.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”