Why is Asuka so nice to Hikari?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:47 pm

Asuka's grief has poisoned her worldview: In the world of Asuka there is no kindness, only degrees of cruelty, even in her own compassion and affection. When she hurts you less, she loves you.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

KINDNESS! BD

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:49 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Asuka's grief has poisoned her worldview: In the world of Asuka there is no kindness, only degrees of cruelty, even in her own compassion and affection. When she hurts you less, she loves you.

Does that include when she avoided telling him who EVA-03s pilot was, and then attempting to tell him right before she was struck down?

... Or the playful act she put on with Misato at the hots springs? :devil:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:40 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Does that include when she avoided telling him who EVA-03s pilot was, and then attempting to tell him right before she was struck down?

I don't think she was being unkind with either of those, honestly. They're good examples of the fact that she actually does have empathy and isn't the horrible monster her detractors pretend she is.

Of course, that's pre-3I. Afterwards . . . well, yes. It's as Chuckman says.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ash1969
Embryo

Postby Ash1969 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:43 am

I thought Slim was already agreeing with you Bagheera.
No my name is not a sex joke

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:50 am

View Original PostAsh1969 wrote:I thought Slim was already agreeing with you Bagheera.

I was more-or-less agreeing with both of them.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

PurpleandRed
Adam

Re: KINDNESS! BD

Postby PurpleandRed » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:58 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Does that include when she avoided telling him who EVA-03s pilot was, and then attempting to tell him right before she was struck down?

Playful act? The heck?

And I don't think she was attempting to tell Shinji about the pilot.
Asuka, you're not going to have any children.

You don't care about Hikari anymore, Asuka?

I want somebody to kick Asuka's butt! She is stupid, vain, and cries like a spoiled brat! Is there a game where you can kick her butt?

Ash1969
Embryo

Postby Ash1969 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:12 pm

View Original PostPurpleandRed wrote:Playful act? The heck?

And I don't think she was attempting to tell Shinji about the pilot.

If you had watched Episode 18 you would have noticed her trying to tell him before being defeated by the 13th Angel.

PurpleandRed
Adam

Postby PurpleandRed » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:13 pm

View Original PostAsh1969 wrote:If you had watched Episode 18 you would have noticed her trying to tell him before being defeated by the 13th Angel.

Ohhh, I thought he/she was talking about 2.0!!!!!!

I want somebody to kick Asuka's butt! She is stupid, vain, and cries like a spoiled brat! Is there a game where you can kick her butt?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:24 pm

Normally when we're in a Discussion thread we're talking about NGE. Discussions about the new movies go in the Rebuild forums. That doesn't mean there's never any crossover, of course, but that's how things tend to work out.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

NTE need not apply. BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:10 pm

View Original PostPurpleandRed wrote:Ohhh, I thought he/she was talking about 2.0!!!!!!

... My profile does say "male" y'know... -o-;

And by "playful act", I was referring to the ending scene of episode 10, after Shinji saved Asuka. Asuka, likely in thanks to him for the save, offered "service" while at the hot springs by loudly exchanging words with Misato about rubbing each other's breasts.

One of the few times where *service* in the series didn't have a guilt trip attached.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Ash1969
Embryo

Postby Ash1969 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:00 pm

Personally, I just thought were Misato and Asuka were trying to get a good laugh by messing with Shinji.

PurpleandRed
Adam

Re: NTE need not apply. BP

Postby PurpleandRed » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:16 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:... My profile does say "male" y'know... -o-;

And by "playful act", I was referring to the ending scene of episode 10, after Shinji saved Asuka. Asuka, likely in thanks to him for the save, offered "service" while at the hot springs by loudly exchanging words with Misato about rubbing each other's breasts.

One of the few times where *service* in the series didn't have a guilt trip attached.

How do you know? I was thinking it was just innocent play and they weren't talking to Shinji, they were talking to each other. Are you talking about Misato being a hebephile to Asuka or Shinji? Because if you are, then why didn't anyone call the police?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:01 am

Because if you are, then why didn't anyone call the police?

1) Because no adult on this show has any consideration to the cares and needs of the children in a completely safe way, as all of them are either emotionally and mentally damaged themselves or simply want to use and discard the children as necessary.

2) Because the age of consent in Japan is 14.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:05 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:2) Because the age of consent in Japan is 14.

Though this is over-ridden by local regulations almost everywhere.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:08 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:2) Because the age of consent in Japan is 14.

Wikipedia wrote:The Japanese Penal Code sets a minimal age of consent of 13. However, all prefectures and districts have (largely similar) "obscenity ordinances" (淫行条例) that forbid "fornication" (淫行) with anyone under 18 years of age, but exempt sex in the context of a sincere romantic relationship (typically determined by parental approval).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:09 am

Touche.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: NTE need not apply. BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:12 am

View Original PostPurpleandRed wrote:How do you know?

I don't, just a guess due to its proximity to Asuka's rescue, to the fact that both were aware that Shinji was there, and the fact neither Asuka nor Misato are particularly close to one another, implying it was done for his benefit.

The conversation between the girls moments later, right before the episode ended, was more indicative of their own relationship.

I was thinking it was just innocent play and they weren't talking to Shinji

Not to him, just loudly enough for him to hear.

, they were talking to each other. Are you talking about Misato being a hebephile to Asuka or Shinji?

... No, and I'm confused as hell as to why everyone jumped on this.

Misato's provocative actions are implied not to source from an *entirely* healthy appreciation of sex, but I categorize this sort of behavior separately from, say, the "soliciting" in episode 23.

PurpleandRed
Adam

Postby PurpleandRed » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:03 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:1) Because no adult on this show has any consideration to the cares and needs of the children in a completely safe way, as all of them are either emotionally and mentally damaged themselves or simply want to use and discard the children as necessary.

2) Because the age of consent in Japan is 14.

That's stupid.

Blue Three
Embryo

Postby Blue Three » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:45 am

14 being the age of consent is cited quite often in discussions about Japan. In reality, whenever it's suggested that one might have interest in / be a relationship with someone under 18 (for example a high-school student), most people here will probably humorously respond with something along the lines of "逮捕!" (arrested!). It's not normal for adults to consider 14 years and up object of romantic or sexual interest.

Alaska Slim wrote:Asuka, likely in thanks to him for the save, offered "service" while at the hot springs by loudly exchanging words with Misato about rubbing each other's breasts.

I have no idea where you got that from. Such dialogue isn't there at all.

I could look up a translation, but this is kinda faster.

M: "Shinji, can you hear me?" - S: "Yeah" - M: "Could you throw the body shampoo over?" A: "The one we brought ran out" - S: "OK, here it goes" - A: "Alright. Ouch! Idiot, watch where you're throwing. (more to herself) Don't hit me in strange places" - M: "Let me see" - A: *squeaks* - M:" Aww, look how pudgy and soft your skin is" - A: "Stop, it tickles" - M: "And here?" - A: "Don't touch me there" M: "Oh come on, it's nothing".

That's the entire conversation.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:20 pm

View Original PostPurpleandRed wrote:That's stupid.

Well, it is what it is: Misato does her best, but she's an emotional wreck that's doing her best to keep it together and often forced to make decisions that are not in the best interests of the children. Kaji is focused on other things and rarely has time to devote to the kids, Ritsuko is very detached from the kids as anything other than Pilots, Fuyutsuki is doing...whatever the hell Fuyutsuki is doing. Playing his part in the game against Seele.

And Gendo? Does he give any indication that he sees the kids as anything other than a means to an end?

None of the adults on this show have the needed capacity to put this kids in a place that's safe or constructive for them, whether by choice or lack of capability.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”