Rei pillar/tank possibly organic?/Designer comments, sketches

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Rei pillar/tank possibly organic?/Designer comments, sketches

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:24 am

I just got an ad on instagram for this book called Anime Architecture.

This is pretty self explanatory. I'm not sure if it's new, but I'd never seen it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKgnGDblhIp/?igshid=11zt8kvezq6wy
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Rei pillar/tank possibly organic?/Designer comments, sketches

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:09 am

I've seen these sketches and that book in somewhere before, I always suspected it was organic, after all it looks like a womb (figuratively of course).
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:38 pm

If you think of it in a more simple way, the liquid, which is always keeping it filled up is obviously LCL or something of that sort, is organic. So from that viewpoint, that thing is biomechanical. :P

In a more theoretical way, the artist does say that Rei was born from it. Only machine can't give birth to an organism, even if you say cloning or test tube babies, which still undergo biological procedures throughout most of the the part. He also explicitly states of the upper part of the thing being not filled with machinery. So if it's not something mechanical, it has to be organic, right? The outer layer is made out of metal, protecting something that's organic and fragile inside. Basically what our skull does, except the skull is made out of metal.

Apart from that, isn't that thing supposed to fill the role of the dummy plug of the original series by replacing it, which was obviously organic from some extent, at least a minimal?
Last edited by Berserker on Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:50 pm

The idea that Rei's tank actually being a eldritch biomechanical horror hidden by mundane metal plates and tubes is genius.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:46 pm

I think the "giving birth" part might just refer to how this is how they fire up new clones, but, very interesting.

The OG series incarnation had a 'spine-like' part.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”