Your favorite scene in Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

DIDDY
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DIDDY » Fri May 22, 2009 11:30 am

Eva-01 vs Zeruel (before the power goes out) as well. I was quite impressed by the creative use of the elevator, among other things.
ONLY SMART PEOPLE LIKE EVANGELION?

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Mon May 25, 2009 2:47 pm

When Kaworu looks up at Rei and smiles when he's in the clutches of Unit 01
:)))
I don't care for Eva-elitists. I don't know everything, and neither do you.

"I'm real tempted to say Kaworu and Evangelionfreak" Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Is that why they call you EvangelionFreak?" DatDude
"I will never understand you, Evangelionfreak. Never ever." Faußtin
"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Well, that still leaves Evangelionfreak straighter to me. Phew." Reichu

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:02 pm

Was going to make a new thread but found the existing one. (The thread list is our friend!)
So I'll just bump this.

I've already said my favorite moment but the alternate reality sequence and "congratulations" from episode 26 are other favorites of mine.
Asuka's final fight as well.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:17 pm

View Original PostJoseph the PRPD wrote:alternate reality sequence

Yeah, that was a special moment. Seeing Rei in a completely different light, Asuka so open over her jealousy, Yui and Gendo, Misato being... Misato and Shinji's morning glory. I feel all warm just thinking about it. :glomp:
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:23 pm

I absolutely loved seeing Asuka torn to bits even though she's one of my all time favorite characters. Same with Rei/GNR.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Peewit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Peewit » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:29 am

Zeruel's face getting grinded in the lift.

glitz2hard
Adam

What's your favorite scene from Eva and why?

•      
  •      

Postby glitz2hard » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:08 pm

Misato's death.
And while it feels horrible saying that the death of one of the show's most beloved (and, in my opinion, lovable) character's is the strongest moment... it is. It really just is. Don't get me wrong, Asuka's fight is electric, Rei's first appearance (not in ghost form, in human form, being wheeled out) and the subsequent fight hit like a train, the Third Impact is well, the Chad Third Impact, and a few other moments from the show are highly memorable, especially Rei and Shinji's rooftop talk. And as far as the rebuilds, obviously the Near Third Impact and the grand ol' sniper fight (which ends with the best near-canon anime ship moment ever) are great. Not to mention G A Y P I A N O
But anyway, back to Misato's death. I should (and will) analyze it further, but just to start... the movements of the characters. I'm not going super in-depth, but moment's like the slam against the door, Misato's kiss, Shinji just stumbling, defeated, backwards into the elevator, Misato crumpling to the floor just the same... all of these moments add to the gravity of the scene. Also, the voice acting and writing here is as good as it gets in this show, which I'm super happy to see, considering the fact that it would be about 30% as convincing otherwise. They really sell it to you, which is important for a dramatic, depressing moment. And speaking of dramatic and depressing, Migawari no Shinyuu! The music in the scene is a rendition of Thanatos (the BEST rendition [except maybe not, If I Can't Be Yours might be just as good), which is personally my favorite leitmotif
SPOILER: Show
(read: overused song)
in the entire show. I mean, there are many of them, but it's still really not a hard choice. But the song feeds off of the scene's emotion, and the scene feeds off of the song's emotion, and it just becomes this huge, tear-jerking ball of devastation... and that's before the guitar comes in. I don't know what the HELL it is about the tone of this guitar, but it's just the cherry on top. If you weren't crying before, you are now. And it's Misato's last line to Shinji, "We'll do the rest when you get back", and the sentimental look in her eyes accompanying it, that just seal off this scene as undeniably perfect. It's nothing I'll forget anytime soon.
And then there's her last words, about the carpet and Pen-Pen, which not only show the strange importance of Pen-Pen but also how she was this weird, broken, flawed character to the very end, a traumatized woman-child who hides behind sexuality and alcoholism, a destructive, pseudo-mother-figure, even pedophilic character, who isn't redeemed in her death. She doesn't dodge a bullet and kisses a child, and ends up saying some weird lame shit as her final words. But it's the fact that this show doesn't paint her as this amazing person at that point, much like other movies would (see: Yondu in GOTG2) that makes these final moments and her character overall so compelling.
And in writing this, I realize Misato is probably my favorite character. Damn. Anyway, next up on the Dante Talks About Eva Too Much Show: I dissect the End of Evangelion Soundtrack and why it's the greatest album ever recorded, listen to 11 hours of straight Eva music I have downloaded, and continue my hunt to find some vinyl copy of EoE, which I'll probably have to resort to some bootleg in a hidden corner of the internet to obtain! And I'll cry more. For sure.
Last edited by glitz2hard on Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: What's your favorite scene from Eva and why?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:16 pm

Your post makes me think you would be deeply appreciative of the fic linked in my signature... :bigeyes: (Basically using a hypothetical situation with Kaworu to venture deep into Misato's past and into the darkest parts of her psyche. Great fun. Latest chapter has the "alternate continuity" version of the highly inappropriate kiss.)

Favorite scene is Eva-01 going apeshit and eating Zeruel. No contest. Eva has so much good stuff it feels unfair to pick just one thing, but...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

glitz2hard
Adam

Re: What's your favorite scene from Eva and why?

•      
  •      

Postby glitz2hard » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:29 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Your post makes me think you would be deeply appreciative of the fic linked in my signature... :bigeyes: (Basically using a hypothetical situation with Kaworu to venture deep into Misato's past and into the darkest parts of her psyche. Great fun. Latest chapter has the "alternate continuity" version of the highly inappropriate kiss.)

Favorite scene is Eva-01 going apeshit and eating Zeruel. No contest. Eva has so much good stuff it feels unfair to pick just one thing, but...

that is the most weirdly specific fanfic ive ever heard of wtf. re-take was preeetty good tho so i'll read it. and yes, i would be deeply appreciative, considering the fact that i'm about to watch Misato's death like 10 times so i can more thoroughly and i guess, "professionally" analyze it.

also, that zeruel scene was... chilling. and kudos for remembering the name, i just refer to the angels as like, "big eyeball-lookin angel in space", "mental fuckery angel", "that one angel that eva-01 absolutely rekt in the first episode", etc.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Your favorite scene in Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:47 am

The final scene of EoE. It is just the strongest overall imho, with the stark red/black/white contrast going on, the long shots, the subtleties of the movements and expressions ... just a great scene overall, with a real gutpunch of an emotional impact. Everything is reduced to the bare essentials, stripped of unnecessary embellishments. Great stuff. Close second is the sequence around Asuka's death. The split arm comes so abruptly.

For NTE, I think it's the death of Unit 03 or Near Third Impact. The musical contrast does it for me, but I'll have to rewatch the movies to solidify the pick.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:36 pm

For me personally, it would still have to be the shots of the Evas launching; even among all of the ATF and Impact things going on, these are the shots that for me personally get across the raw size and power of Evas more than anything else
and Operation Yashima/Operation US, but I've always had a thing for sniper operations
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:48 pm

theirs so many, I couldn't possible answer the question. But if I might highlight a overlooked moment it's the manga version of Misato who persuedes Shinji to stay. (Volume 02 stage 12)
Shinji is on the train station to return to his foster family afther his fight with shamshel. (Shinji had seen a raport of Misato abouth her monitoring him)

She explains the back story on how she got pen pen, she explains on how she want's someone to greet her when she comes how on how she wants to have a family (with Shinji).

I enjoyed looking trough other peoples favorite scenes

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

favorite scenes

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:32 am

Respectively-
1)Shinji and Rei talking about life and stuff beside their respective evas before the battle of ramiel
2)round house kick on israfel's face by eva 1 & 2
3)eva 1 breaking out of leliel

Honourable mention:Shinji and Rei knocking over each other in AU. :D
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

DA'AT
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DA'AT » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:09 pm

NGE: when Rei pulls the spear of longinus out from Lilith and Lilith sprouts legs

EoE: mass production Evas impaling themselves while budding with multiple deformed Rei faces (pure body horror bliss)

Rebuilds: entire Zeruel sequence (so fluidly animated and the score is riveting with emotion)

EvaUnitREM
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaUnitREM » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:39 am

I watched it a few times, my favorite scene through the entire series was the I guess "End". This was when everyone turned into LCL, it just felt like such a quick ending and it stuck with me.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:43 pm

Hard. Maybe one of Rei's monologues in either ep 14 or 25; Or Shinji's "conversation" with Leliel. Honorable mentions to the scene in ep 12 where Misato tells Shinji about her backstory
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:42 am

Easy choice for me: Asuka’s final fight. It remains a triumph of animation in a technical sense, and it has so much going on thematically that I can’t help but love it. That final scene, of a fourteen-year-old kid grasping the sun and vowing to kill her immortal enemy right before he cuts her down . . .

. . . and then she’s back, giving Shinji the mother of all rejections. I prefer the final fight for technical reasons, but for pure emotional resonance the kitchen scene, and in particular that one little word at the pivotal moment, can’t be beat.

“No.”

Every boy’s worst nightmare, and the one thing society cannot abide. But she does it anyway, because fuck you, and it is glorious.

And then the world ends, and then it comes back, and there he is again, using her, begging her for a happy ending, and she responds with absolute disgust. And thus her roles in the rest of the film, which seem so minor at the time, ultimately come full circle — “I am not your shepherd, boy. Stand on your own two feet and approach me as an equal, or I will cut you down every time.”

And we’re left wondering, will he? Can he? We have no way of knowing, but at least she gave him a chance. It’s probably more than he deserves. Because, in the end, she was still defined by him, no matter how she rejected her roles. That sucks for her, and it tells us Eva hasn’t come quite as far as we might have hoped, but it was still something, particularly for its time. And that might have been enough.

(Post was supposed to be one fucking sentence. What happened?)
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:03 am

I remember the kitchen scene quite vividly because it strangely re-uses a real scene that happened in the series, unlike the surreal mess in the rest of instrumentality. It further explores the confusion and painful awkwardness between the characters, similar to what they experienced during the kiss scene. Its quite similar to the scene where Shinji reimagines his school life in ep 26, but perhaps here things don't go as planned and Asuka tells him to p-off.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:40 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I prefer the final fight for technical reasons, but for pure emotional resonance the kitchen scene, and in particular that one little word at the pivotal moment, can’t be beat.

“No.”

Every boy’s worst nightmare, and the one thing society cannot abide. But she does it anyway, because fuck you, and it is glorious.

And then the world ends, and then it comes back, and there he is again, using her, begging her for a happy ending, and she responds with absolute disgust. And thus her roles in the rest of the film, which seem so minor at the time, ultimately come full circle — “I am not your shepherd, boy. Stand on your own two feet and approach me as an equal, or I will cut you down every time.”

And we’re left wondering, will he? Can he? We have no way of knowing, but at least she gave him a chance. It’s probably more than he deserves. Because, in the end, she was still defined by him, no matter how she rejected her roles. That sucks for her, and it tells us Eva hasn’t come quite as far as we might have hoped, but it was still something, particularly for its time. And that might have been enough.

Hey, give Shinji a little more sympathy. To say that he wasn’t in a good mental state when he tried to approach Asuka for help would be an understatement. Everyone he thought he could trust left his life for various reasons, and Asuka was the only one left. It’s understandable that he would try to get some kind of connection with her. Asuka did the same thing, clinging on to Kaji when all her parental figures were gone.

Javi2541997
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javi2541997 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:02 pm

Episode 5. When Shinji goes to Rei's apartment. There isn’t a lot of dialogues between them but that silent when Shinji accidentally falls on her is so iconic.
Shi ni Itaru Yamai, Soshite

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”