ReelAnime 2013 Featuring Evanglion: 3.0 [Australia & NZ]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

ReelAnime 2013 Featuring Evanglion: 3.0 [Australia & NZ]

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:19 am

That's right, Madman have announced that there is going to be a ReelAnime 2013 and that Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo will feature.

The website also implies that there will be 3 other films in the festival, but there is very little information at this point.

There are no dates either, just a little note saying "Coming Late 2013", though the last few ReelAnime screenings have taken place in September.

[url]www.reelanime.com[/url]

News Post

So, get excited Australians.

Also Kiwis, you get it too.
Last edited by Fazmotron on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:45 am

"Pretty, pretty good."
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:12 am

Top stuff
Voluntary Illusion.

beecass
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby beecass » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:39 am

Was waiting for this announcement in lieu of the film being at GCFF. A little later than I thought it was going to be, but still glad we're seeing it this year! ReelAnime 2010 was an absolute blast - I caught 2.0 and Summer Wars - Madman really went out of their way to make sure the experience was as rewarding as possible for all filmgoers.

However, that being said, the screening of You Are (Not) Alone that year was of 1.0 and not 1.11, meaning that the gamma and brightness issues present in the theatrical release were still present. It might be the case that we see 3.0 and not 3.33, but given that 3.0 is without the occasional visual problems its predecessors had, it's a minor qualm.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:27 am

Goddamit, 3.0

Get your ass over to America

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:14 am

Lucky Australians. We Americans will get ours... for a long, long time. :headbash:
"Pretty, pretty good."

Yeah... Pretty... Pretty... Pretty... pretty good. (kudos for those that get the reference.)

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:57 am

..................Now that i think about it, when was the last time Finland got any anime films screening. (Besides Miyazaki's, who's latest film came before year 010! Plus, i don't even know if we got his latest film here.....) *Sigh*
:chug: :gunmouth:

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:14 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:Lucky Australians. We Americans will get ours... for a long, long time. :headbash:

Yeah... Pretty... Pretty... Pretty... pretty good. (kudos for those that get the reference.)

Aladdin, by any chance? :lol:

Dammit, you Aussie's are so lucky when it comes to this stuff....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:17 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Aladdin, by any chance?

Actually, Curb your Enthusiasm.
Though I don't fully recall Aladdin doing something similar. Not a big deal.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:38 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:Actually, Curb your Enthusiasm.
Though I don't fully recall Aladdin doing something similar. Not a big deal.

Yeah, for some reason I thought of this. :lol:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:44 am

It occurs to me this is the first time this has been after the Japanese BD release. I'll still go and see it, of course.
Qui veut faire l'ange fait la bête.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:57 pm

In addition to the announcement of 3.0's Australian Premiere, some new information about the Reel Anime Festival 2013 has trickled out:

- A competition has been announced whereby the winner can recieve merchandise from the earlier Evangelion Art Gallery Tour and a signed postcard by voice of Asuka Shikinami, Yuko Miyamura.

- Reel Anime 2013 Festival features Evangelion 3.0, 009 Re: Cyborg, A Letter to Momo, and (I think this is a leak) the recently released The Garden of Words

- The Reel Anime site states that the festival is coming to cinemas in September 2013, however the competition announcement states that it will be October 2013. I anticipate this will be clarified/corrected in upcoming weeks.

- The Reel Anime site mentions "REEL ANIME SPECIALS – one day screenings outside the main festival." For instance we've known for a couple of weeks there will be one-day screenings at select cinemas around the country of the second Berserk film on July 7th. Not exactly the best example, but if it is succcessful it could lead to further one-day screenings of other (and hopefully more interesting) anime flicks.

That's all for now >.>
Voluntary Illusion.

iihieiii
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby iihieiii » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:34 am

Is there anyone on this forum that lives in there?

Post some pics or videos for us =)

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:53 am

Venue & Ticketing information for this has been out for a few weeks now, you can read about it here.

In New Zealand: the festival finished in Christchurch and Dunedin yesterday after a seven-day run, but started in Auckland and Wellington today and continues until next Wednesday.

In Australia: apart from Adelaide, where it runs from today to October 9th. In all other locations - Avoca Beach, Brisbane, Canberra, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney - the festival starts on the 3rd and closes on the 16th.

Also note that The Garden of Words and Ghost in the Shell: Arise are running in this festival as a double-feature. You can see both for a single ticket! ^_^
Last edited by EvangelionFan on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voluntary Illusion.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm wondering, how is the anime scene out in Oz and NZ? It seems to be substantial enough to justify this event and there was the Rebuild exhibit earlier in the year that hit up multiple cities.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:56 pm

Hi AR-99, apologies for the late reply.

I cannot speak for New Zealand, though the anime scene in Australia is fine - as long as we're talking about the major coastal cities. All of the major conventions I know of are hosted in one or more of said cities. Most anime clubs are probably based out of Universities or Colleges close to the cities. Most theatrical events and other special events, except possibly the occasional dubbed Ghibli, are limited to said cities. Reason for this is simple: although interest in anime and manga has grown in this country over the last ten years, it is more or less sustained in the suburban and urban areas. I have no doubt that some people in the regional areas are also fans, it's just that those people are not as likely to spend as much money on it as those in the city areas - as the suburban and urban areas are focus of the related distributors and retail in this country.

All of this said, it doesn't mean that someone with interest in anime and manga cannot survive out of the cities. Of the prominent home entertainment retail chains, JB Hi-Fi is the most reliable one for finding anime DVDs and Blu-Rays in-store, the only other retailers that do it are Sanity. Other retail chains, such as Big-W and Target, do sell DVDs & Blu-Rays on their online stores, but face competition from other online-only retailers. Otherwise

Other supplies - art books, figurines, and manga - would be much hard to find in-store. All of the comic book stores here are independently owned and stocked, and all of the ones I know of stock both American and Japanese comics products and not exclusively one or the other. One of my local comic book stores also sells DVDs & Blu-Rays, but this is probably uncommon. In addition, as comic book stores and other such stores are 'special interest' stores, I would guess that there are few if any such stores outside the cities. I am not sure if Cairns has one, maybe Blue Monday could fill us in, but he orders most of his stuff online so I guess that's that.

I anticipate you may have more questions, but really, I anticipate I'd find it difficult to describe it any more than I have. I suppose if you live here for a while you become aware of the great big something, I guess this is a small slice of that great big something.
Voluntary Illusion.

Oral Stage
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Oral Stage » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:26 am

Here in Melbourne, Anime is pretty easy to find in shops but you hardly ever see anything other than Ghibli movies in the cinema, except during festivals. I've seen other foreign language animated movies like Persepolis and Waltz with Bashir here at the Nova, though (where they're doing ReelAnime) I think the last subbed Anime I saw in the cinema was Ponyo...

In the 90s, DBZ was on Cheese TV like every morning. Me and my school mates talked about Goku going super sayin for weeks. We also got stuff like Pokemon, Digimon, Transformers and Sailor Moon.

SBS aired the Evangelion dub in the early 00s, I think. I saw a few episodes and thought it was cool but I didn't watch it again until my brothers bought the perfect box set. SBS, by the way, was the first TV station to be allowed to broadcast foreign language movies and shows in Australia.

There's a few different conventions here too like Manifest and Supernova, which are doing all right.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:22 pm

Thank you both for your responses, I appreciate the insight. I find it interesting to discover what the anime scene is like in other countries given my own American, California West Coast perspective. When I do get down to Oz or NZ one of these days, I can rest assured that otakudom is alive and well.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:44 pm

For those of you in Melbourne: Madman will be hosting a Cosplay and Trivia contest at tonight's 6:40pm Session of Evangelion 3.0 at Cinema Nova, Carlton. Note that Madman are looking for 'people to come in cosplay in general', and that they will giving away limited edition theatrical goods from the art Gallery Exhibition earlier this year. [Info from Madman's Facebook page]
Voluntary Illusion.

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:49 pm

So I'll be doing the full rounds of ReelAnime this Sunday (13th) in Sydney at the Dendy in Newtown. I'll be there all day checking out every film.

If anyone happens to be there at the same time and manages to catch me, feel free to come up and say hi.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”