Asuka's role in 3.0 & Beyond

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:49 pm

View Original PostUBERGEEKZILLA wrote:although Asuka is 28 she still basically remains 14..i think theres still somewhat of a chance of a relationship between the 2. i dont think she ever told him how she felt about him. maybe in 4.0 she will finally tell him and she will help him with his problems.

That would kill FINAL for me. NNNNOOOO!!!! I DON'T WANT MATCHMAKING IN MY EVA!
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:34 pm

It will especially annoy me however if it is revealed that Asuka's not actually mad about him causing 3I, but rather that he'd blow up the world to save Rei but didn't lift a finger when she was the one being eaten by an angel. A truly adult Asuka should have long ago moved past such insecurites.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:11 pm

I apologize if I sound like I'm not paying attention to the conversation, but Iam trying to avoid spoilers. Probably be the last time I post to avoid playing with fire.

But I was also going to say why would they make it so the eva pilots don't age unless they still planned for some kind of pairing? Might as well have Asuka and Mari age if that were the case and have Asuka be the new Misato as suggested.

It's no different than the Twilight movies having Edward hook up with a girl hundreds of years younger than him because he looks like a teenager. Yes I just compared Eva to Twilight and I feel very dirty.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:29 pm

Yes I just compared Eva to Twilight

Well I admire your bravery...

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:17 pm

View Original PostLonecow12 wrote:But I was also going to say why would they make it so the Eva pilots don't age unless they still planned for some kind of pairing?

Fanservice and merchandising. I see quite a few Asuka fans still loving her with her new Eye Patch look. If they could make money out of keeping her looking the same while making a 14 year time skip and making a somewhat believable excuse for it in the Eva universe, they'll definitely do it.

Although that's just my thought on why they kept them the same, of course that could just be me biased against any sort of Shipping in Eva. I hate it, hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it.

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:35 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:That would kill FINAL for me. NNNNOOOO!!!! I DON'T WANT MATCHMAKING IN MY EVA!

well they never really concluded it though. i think at some point on 4.0 Asuka will tell him. they wouldnt bring up her liking him in 2.0 for no reason

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:13 pm

View Original PostUBERGEEKZILLA wrote:Well they never really concluded it though. i think at some point on 4.0 Asuka will tell him. they wouldnt bring up her liking him in 2.0 for no reason.

If you hadn't noticed there was plenty of Rei Shipper crap in 2.0 also. I like to think all of those things in 2.0 was just Anno giving shippers the middle finger cause both scenarios were equally possible at the end of 2.0.

Not to mention she may look and act like a 14 year old, Asuka still is technically 28. And at the end of 3.0 Shinji wasn't exactly in the mood to be friends with anybody.

gorgeousshutin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby gorgeousshutin » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:01 am

NemZ wrote:
The alternative, that 14 years have passed and Asuka is still essentially a teen, is far more horrible.

Judging by Asuka's (and Mari's) distinctively juvie, un-adult like mannerism in the 6 min opening, this is indeed a strong possibility for how 3.0 portrays her.
The Gorgeous Shut-in
Current fics:
(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018)
(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Nov, 2017)
(NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016)
(Banana Fish)Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 01, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works
or
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:04 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:If you hadn't noticed there was plenty of Rei Shipper crap in 2.0 also. I like to think all of those things in 2.0 was just Anno giving shippers the middle finger cause both scenarios were equally possible at the end of 2.0.

Not to mention she may look and act like a 14 year old, Asuka still is technically 28. And at the end of 3.0 Shinji wasn't exactly in the mood to be friends with anybody.

i dont feel anno purpously y trolls the fans( now days). i have faith. we will see what happens in 4.0

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:30 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:1) that's the prime age for childbearing
2) we're talking about a 28 year old woman maybe having a family -- nothing untoward about that.

It's alright from Asuka's perspective, but who would want to have children with a girl who looks 14? I'd find it pretty creepy. Additionally, I wouldn't think she'd have much time to settle down, what with the end of the world almost occurring. We also don't know how long she was in a medically induced coma in Nerv (although I suppose it's safe to say she's been up and about for a year or more) so I don't think she's had a child yet. We also don't get any hint of her being in a serious relationship or having a child while Shinji is trapped on the Katsuragi Party Ship (although he doesn't do much during that time anyway).
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:37 am

View Original PostFluffyBunny wrote:and therefore Asuka was alone when she yelled for Shinji.

To my mind the intriguing thing is that she yelled for Shinji at all. Consider: she's been without Shinji for fourteen years, presumably in many fights as well; she has no idea what state Shinji is now in, to the extent that when they recover him later they write a question mark on him before they confirm he's not a fake. So there's no reason for her to shout for him, either by instinct or out of logic. Does this mean that she has some real deep-seated feeling for him that has lasted all that time, or is it a lack of logic in the continuity to alert us to what happens when EVA-01 does in fact respond?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:30 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheTuna
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheTuna » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:35 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:True, but she doesn't seem "old" to me. She doesn't seem more worldly or any wiser. She's still fairly impulsive and immature in how she talks to people (she still hasn't stopped disrespecting Shinji or the other pilots) and she doesn't seem very serious about the events which are happening around her. You'd think that in those 14 years she'd have had time to sober up, drop the childish nicknames and act more serious, but she doesn't. Her approach to battle hasn't changed, either, as she doesn't seem to adopt any form of strategy (she relies on Mari to support her in the space battle, and then yells for Shinji after that). She also only shows such lack of concern for her Eva in the final scenes; in the beginning she gets scared that her Eva will get destroyed while attempting to recover Eva-01's tesseract. I think self-destructing her Eva is a sign of good character development in the film, but not 14 years' worth of character development.

I actually thought that Asuka calling for help from Mari was a strong indicator of her growth as a character.

Would old Asuka, the Asuka who found the idea of relying on others for help revolting and only worked with partners when forced, even then grudgingly, have not only asked for but demanded help from her partner multiple times?

Not only does Asuka demand help from Mari and then even Shinji, but she seems to show no embarrassment or self-doubt over having to do so, which I think shows that she has indeed matured. At the very least, she's taken to heart the notion that needing to rely on others in a battle is not necessarily a failure.

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:06 pm

View Original PostTheTuna wrote:I actually thought that Asuka calling for help from Mari was a strong indicator of her growth as a character.

Would old Asuka, the Asuka who found the idea of relying on others for help revolting and only worked with partners when forced, even then grudgingly, have not only asked for but demanded help from her partner multiple times?

Not only does Asuka demand help from Mari and then even Shinji, but she seems to show no embarrassment or self-doubt over having to do so, which I think shows that she has indeed matured. At the very least, she's taken to heart the notion that needing to rely on others in a battle is not necessarily a failure.

i think she kinda learned this after that fight in 2.0 when she said " i couldnt have done it alone....there was no way"

TheTuna
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheTuna » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:16 pm

View Original PostUBERGEEKZILLA wrote:i think she kinda learned this after that fight in 2.0 when she said " i couldnt have done it alone....there was no way"

Yeah, she appeared to learn that lesson there, but we never got a chance to see if it stuck. 3.0 seems to indicate that it did.

TheTuna
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheTuna » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:31 pm

Beast Mode Asuka is indeed every bit as terrifying as Beast Mode Mari. Really hoping we see a simultaneous Dual Beast Mode in 4.0.

The fact that Asuka's covered eye is glowing blue is rather worrying, to say the least.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:38 pm

View Original PostTheTuna wrote:The fact that Asuka's covered eye is glowing blue is rather worrying, to say the least.

Umm...would you rather have her missing an eye?

Helius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Helius » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:48 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Umm...would you rather have her missing an eye?

Yes, I would, actually. Makes her more badass in a way. Having a "Wicked Eye" kind of takes that away.
"Wars Begin Where You Will... But They Do Not End Where You Please."

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:51 pm

View Original PostHelius wrote:Yes, I would, actually. Makes her more badass in a way. Having a "Wicked Eye" kind of takes that away.

implying it isn't a plot point and that Asuka hasn't been human/angel hybrid since Bardiel incident :hohum:

TheTuna
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheTuna » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:52 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Umm...would you rather have her missing an eye?

I'd rather have her missing an eye than have the eye she allegedly lost to Angel-inflicted injuries glowing the color of that Angel's blood, yes. I don't think I need to explain why her eye glowing the color of Bardiel's infection is worrying.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”