Asuka's role in 3.0 & Beyond

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:13 am

View Original PostLonecow12 wrote:I'd like to point out that Shinji is also 28.

Just by birth.
View Original PostLonecow12 wrote:He has 14 years of experiences as well as Asuka. So really there isn't any difference.

14 years spent in the real world, interacting with people and stuff, don't equate to 14 years spent doing a double metaphysical wincest with mother and clone. Shinji apparently didn't even realise how much time he spent there, he said "apparently I had been sleeping in Unit 01 for 14 years", it's also possible that he doesn't remember much or anything at all about what he experienced there.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:58 am

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:I agree with the others saying that an Asuka/Shinji pairing in Rebuild would make no sense and would signal a massive step backwards for her character.

I would agree with this. But, it's not like she has to be the pursuer. 3.0's ending is the opposite of 2.0. Where Shinji was active in his pursuit of Rei, reaffirming Rei's value, shutting the world for the warm blue space in the entry plug to the point of catatonia. It's played for reverse in 3.0. Shikinami rightfully shit talks him for once again causing in impact, ripping him out of an entry plug into the red earth....with the hand holding motif once again making an appearance. That being said, usually the last person to interact with Shinji in each film has gone on to play a bigger role, increased characterization, and shared screentime in the next film.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:02 am

View Original PostNa7e wrote:That being said, usually the last person to interact with Shinji in each film has gone on to play a bigger role, increased characterization, and shared screentime in the next film.

Only for 1.0/2.0, does not apply for Rei in 2.0/3.0 since it is implied QRei is a different incarnation.
Voluntary Illusion.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:13 am

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Shikinami rightfully shit talks him for once again causing in impact, ripping him out of an entry plug into the red earth....with the hand holding motif once again making an appearance.

Just as a clarification, I don't think they're holding hands, Asuka grabs his wrist and kind of drags him. Another interesting thing is she first yells into the plug a few times, getting no response from Shinji she gives up and leaves. Then shortly after, she comes back for him.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:25 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Just as a clarification, I don't think they're holding hands, Asuka grabs his wrist and kind of drags him. Another interesting thing is she first yells into the plug a few times, getting no response from Shinji she gives up and leaves. Then shortly after, she comes back for him.

Thank you, it's already hard enough working with the limited spoilers I have available.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Only for 1.0/2.0, does not apply for Rei in 2.0/3.0 since it is implied QRei is a different incarnation.

I was going to say Kaworu because with his declaration and spearing of Unit-01/Shinji. I always saw it as him stopping Shinji's little world destroying act.

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:29 am

Shinji and Asuka wouldn't be that awkward....i mean everyone seemed fine with gendo basically loving Rei ( not to mention him groping her in Eoe)

Coral
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Coral » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:54 am

View Original PostNa7e wrote:I would agree with this. But, it's not like she has to be the pursuer. 3.0's ending is the opposite of 2.0. Where Shinji was active in his pursuit of Rei, reaffirming Rei's value, shutting the world for the warm blue space in the entry plug to the point of catatonia. It's played for reverse in 3.0. Shikinami rightfully shit talks him for once again causing in impact, ripping him out of an entry plug into the red earth....with the hand holding motif once again making an appearance. That being said, usually the last person to interact with Shinji in each film has gone on to play a bigger role, increased characterization, and shared screentime in the next film.

I don't see how who the "pursuer" is would matter at this stage. Even if Shinji started making moves on Asuka (??) how could she possibly reciprocate his feelings? "Oh, Gaki Shinji!~ Even though you killed half the planet to be a part of a blasphemous incest puddle, even though the first thing you did after waking up from your space coffin was go back to NERV to finish the job.. I.. I can't hold back my feelings any longer! I waited 14 years to be your waifu despite barely knowing you~ Uguuuuuuuuu~"

Shinji and Asuka wouldn't be that awkward....i mean everyone seemed fine with gendo basically loving Rei ( not to mention him groping her in Eoe)

What?? No one should be okay with a romantic relationship between Gendo and Rei. It's fucking child molestation and is nonsensical for a man who's entire character arc is "bring back my dead wife". Did you just not pay any attention to the context for the "grope" in EoE? He prefaces it by telling Rei to take him to Yui, and she rejects him and says she won't be his slave.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:02 am

Any relationship between Rebuild Asuka and Shinji would be a horrible painful mess for all involved. Of course we're going to get it.

Serously though, we'd need some closure on Original Rei and Shini's relationship first. And if Shinji decides that he shouldn't get close to people anymore, or that he's undeserving of Asuka, there probably would be some agreement there.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:36 am

I can see AsukaxShinji happening... I can't really see how Asuka has "matured", but maybe that's because she doesn't get that much backstory or development in 3.0. Even though Asuka doesn't seem to care about him that much, she does go back to the entry plug to drag him along, even when she could just leave him there.

Either that or Shinji will get with Q Rei (if she picked up the SDAT) or get mopey about losing Original Rei and Kaworu and not get with anyone.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Olmer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olmer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:53 am

I can't really see how Asuka has "matured", but maybe that's because she doesn't get that much backstory or development in 3.0

I think that self-destructing her EVA is huge in terms of gaining maturity.
Being totally dependant on piloting skills and basically identifying herself through her Evangelion was a big problem for both NGE Asuka and younger Rebuild Asuka.

In general she seems to have less explosive/bitchy personality than Soryu and is less isolated/nerdy than 14 years old Shikinami.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:08 am

View Original PostOlmer wrote:I think that self-destructing her EVA is huge in terms of gaining maturity.

True, but she doesn't seem "old" to me. She doesn't seem more worldly or any wiser. She's still fairly impulsive and immature in how she talks to people (she still hasn't stopped disrespecting Shinji or the other pilots) and she doesn't seem very serious about the events which are happening around her. You'd think that in those 14 years she'd have had time to sober up, drop the childish nicknames and act more serious, but she doesn't. Her approach to battle hasn't changed, either, as she doesn't seem to adopt any form of strategy (she relies on Mari to support her in the space battle, and then yells for Shinji after that). She also only shows such lack of concern for her Eva in the final scenes; in the beginning she gets scared that her Eva will get destroyed while attempting to recover Eva-01's tesseract. I think self-destructing her Eva is a sign of good character development in the film, but not 14 years' worth of character development.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Well, I wouldn't be surprised that Asuka hasn't matured that much. The human brain can't finish developing if its owner is physiologically stuck in puberty forever. :hahaha:

It's been noted that Asuka is taking over at the end of 3.0 where we might have expected Misato in NGE. I wouldn't be surprised if this trend continues into the next film.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Olmer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olmer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:04 pm

I actually assumed, that her talking the way she does, not always being serious about what's going on etc. is just a form of fan service (fans would get crazy if they suddenly got 100% serious and calm Asuka) and decided to not draw any conclusions about her character from that.
That's why our impressions differ, I guess.

Her approach to battle hasn't changed, either, as she doesn't seem to adopt any form of strategy (she relies on Mari to support her in the space battle, and then yells for Shinji after that)

I don't think she could really do much about the situation she was in, considering all the limitations she had to face while fighting in space.
Besides, she actually *did* change her approach. She says something about "being brute" about it and then decides to use the arm gun to pull herself in to the tesseract. From this I concluded that the original plan was different.
I agree that she definitely doesn't behave like an adult in that scene, though.
Like I said - I blamed in on the fan service.

in the beginning she gets scared that her Eva will get destroyed while attempting to recover Eva-01's tesseract

It's pretty hard to not get scared in this situation. If her EVA is destroyed in space, she dies 100% unless Shinji decides to suck her in ;). Not sure if it has anything to do with being childish.

edit:

There are two other things that make me think about her as of someone more mature.
One is a subtle difference in her voice. Can't really tell what the difference is, but when she complains about Mari being late with the support fire, it reminds me of a commander informing his subordinate that he's made a mistake. I don't get the impression that Asuka is frustrated with Mari or something. I get the impression that she strives for perfection, wants her team to perform to the best of their ability, and thus communicates the issues she has with them. But the *only* objective is to do better next time. No hidden desire to boost her ego or something. Her allies play in *her* team now as opposed to NGE.
The second one is her eye-patch. It makes me think of her as someone battle-scared, and thus someone already experienced, who lost her innate innocence. It basically has the same role as Misato's scar.
Last edited by Olmer on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:05 pm

I'm actually hoping that 4.0 spends the time to conclusively show Asuka has grown up and moved on. What better way to do that than revealing she's in a relatively steady, long term romantic relationship with someone... possibly even with a child of her own.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:26 pm

1) that's the prime age for childbearing
2) we're talking about a 28 year old woman maybe having a family -- nothing untoward about that.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:26 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:I'll never understand the creepy fixation of older male fans with teenage bodies getting pregnant.

what

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:59 pm

When I think about it, Asuka isn't as important to the whole 3rd impact/Insturmentality plotline. Think about it. Shinji, Rei, and Kawrou are all needed for somebody to get their version of those events. But really Asuka isn't. Her biggest contribution is how she influences the others, but it's not a huge factor. I'm not saying Asuka is unimportant to the plot of Evangelion, but she's not a big factor in anyones plots for an Impact. So in some ways she doesn't need as much screen time as Shinji, or Kawrou in 3.0. See what they do in 4.0.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

FluffyBunny
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FluffyBunny » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:05 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Her approach to battle hasn't changed, either, as she doesn't seem to adopt any form of strategy (she relies on Mari to support her in the space battle, and then yells for Shinji after that).

One thing to add there: The plan was probably to have Mari provide fire support, but Mari had to drop back early to Earth -- and therefore Asuka was alone when she yelled for Shinji.

Even though that can reflect badly on her for 'poor planning' on her part, it hardly looks like not adopting any strategy..

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:38 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:we're talking about a 28 year old woman maybe having a family -- nothing untoward about that.

Exactly my point. I want to see tangible proof that regardless of still being a bony little waif that she is indeed a grown woman. It could also come in more subtle forms of charecterization of course, or perhaps mixed with a little more angst to reveal that she wants but can't have children, but nothing would make the point as convincingly as the narrative forcing Shinji (and us) to see her as someone's mother.

The alternative, that 14 years have passed and Asuka is still essentially a teen, is far more horrible.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”