(Second) Evas vs. Angels Design Contest! (Afterthoughts)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:41 pm

It's a good design, too bad it wasn't implemented...

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:03 am

Action Bastard wrote:Oh and a Rei for color!

I'm screwed. I only have sketches.....

AsukaChan, that was incredible. I can only imagine what it feels like to see a tsunami of car-sized scarab/angels rolling around my favorite ramen stop or something... :clap:
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:42 pm

That was really good, very simple and yet a lot off though put into it. It is very very good! I too thought about the whole spawning extra creatures (got my idea from Cloverfield =P). Anyways, great design!
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:36 pm

Spawn/hivemind concept is very cool. Main angel body itself... is a maypole? Hmm, decidedly less so.

Art style was interestingly impressionistic, reminiscent of marker comps.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

AsukaChan
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaChan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:38 am

NemZ wrote:Spawn/hivemind concept is very cool. Main angel body itself... is a maypole? Hmm, decidedly less so.

Art style was interestingly impressionistic, reminiscent of marker comps.

LOL! Soon as a read that I pictured a bunch of kids skipping around it. XDD

And thanks everyone for the feedback. ^^
Asuka, just as hot as that Langley Soryu chick.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Sorry for the late notice, but I'm going to have to withdraw my name from the contest. I just couldn't find the time for this.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:45 pm

Sorry for the late notice, but I'm going to have to withdraw my name from the contest. I just couldn't find the time for this.

Argg, the timing! I know how that feels, sorry that you had to pull out. Next time, I should start this thing earlier...

I'm screwed. I only have sketches.....

Don't get discouraged, really! I'm sure what you have will be charming in its own way!

The Schedule:
    Sept. 13: CorporalChaos (Withdrawn)
    Sept. 14: TheAyanamiOtaku (redux)
    Sept. 15: devil_eAter (redux)
    Sept. 16: Hazukari (redux)

Thus:
NEXT TIME
Image TheAyanamiOtaku (redux)

Let's get it on!

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:14 pm

AsukaChan: I like the giant bong angel.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:57 pm

To anyone who has been wondering why there haven't been any new Angels as of yet, we are still waiting for the last few stragglers to catch up. They are:

TheAyanamiOtaku
devil_eAter
Hazukari

Since there is no penalty for being late, we'll just have to wait until our last three Designers submit their designs to me or choose to withdraw. I'd rather wait for a couple days longer: all indications show that the Angels are nearing completion anyway and the extra time allows me to perfect my own drawings when the time finally comes for me.

Anyway, thoughts on the last Angel:

Another well done concept! The design itself is simple and complex, and its unusual form gives it a very unique profile and composition. The wings and eyes are a very nice touch and give this beast its defining features, to me.

The combat abilities are also quite creative and varied: while its options are limited, the whip and its spawn gives it a unique set of choices that typically isn't seen in an Angel.

I'm not sure as to what this concept might need work on, as any more additions risk degrading its simplicity. Perhaps its entrance and the context of the situation during its arrival could use some going over.

NEXT TIME:
ANYONE WHO CAN FINISH THEIR DESIGN FIRST, SINCE YOU ARE ALL OVERDUE!

pat457
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby pat457 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:49 pm

Hello, are we all still alive here?
"God forbid that I actually make any logical sense whatsoever!"
- Me from around three years ago. Thank God I still don't.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:24 pm

i am still writing my post up. school is slowly letting up for some more free time, and progress is accelerating.

almost there...
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:21 pm

Schnell!
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:56 pm

You know, if this is contest is ever held again, I'd like to join. Preferably during one of the holidays, though, since I study abroad and my dorm doesn't have a scanner, not to mention most of my drawing tools being at home.
So...dibs on the as yet non-existent "next time"?
...please? :toothy:
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:18 am

You know, if this is contest is ever held again, I'd like to join. Preferably during one of the holidays, though, since I study abroad and my dorm doesn't have a scanner, not to mention most of my drawing tools being at home.

At what times exactly do you want that to happen? I made the contest during the summer because I knew that would be the time that most here would have a break from school or work to be able to do this sort of thing. Though some people are still late, I feel that the summer is the best time to hold the contest. Thoughts?

Updates soon, so stay tuned!

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:39 am

I was thinking more along the lines of Christmas, or that kinda thing. Though of course summer works fine as well...

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:19 pm

What happened? I'm gone for about a week and a half and it looks like nothing has happened.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Jerahmeel:"God pities" by devil_eAter

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:52 pm

Ask and you shall receive!

Now:
devil_eAter

Official Name: Jerahmeel (translates into "God pities")

Other Aliases: Atrocity, Darwin, Bastard Angel, and Yugiri

Birthdate: 1999?

Height: Original Height 5 ft 7 in/ Form 1 Height 5 ft 10/ Form 2 Height 6ft 8in-50 meters

Class: A

Background:

On March 7, 2003, a school teacher named Victor Merit found the Angel on the east coast of North America in the form of child, only being a four to five years of age it seemed. The baby was in strangely fine condition, though it would often go into a seizure-like state. Whenever these seizures occurred, an AT Field surrounded it. When Gehirn in Japan caught wind of this, the decision was immediately made to receive the child. The then President of the United States allowed for Gehirn to send scientists, including one Dr. Yui Ikari, to come and receive the child on March 23, 2003. Not long after Yui left, the President received a message from Keel Lorenz of SEELE:

I would find it in the best interest of SEELE if Victor Merit were to become "lost'". The reason for this is it would be a grand disturbance if he were to leak information on his wondrous discovery."

The last time Victor Merit was seen was at a bar with his friends on March 24, 2003. He has never been found since.

Upon his arrival, it was found that the child was very quiet and behaved similarly to a dog. However, after only two months of training he was learning Japanese at an impressive pace. When being taught to read, he showed a lack of interest - being that the characters in the stories that were given to him seemed "too happy”. For a long time he was rather distant and afraid of most people.

He did, however, show a particular fondness to Dr. Yui Ikari and seemed excited when he saw her. This was opposite of Dr. Naoko Akagi, who he seemed to be terrified of. Curiously, it was discovered that he liked dogs, as seen during an experiment where he was placed in a room with a puppy in order to see how he would react. He named it Hayao and spent several hours studying it as it frolicked around his cell. As the boy progressed he became less shy around the people of Gehirn, even losing fear of Dr. Akagi.

He did not go without any education at the labs, being there are records of his mediocre accomplishments in mathematics. He seemed to perform best in English. Records show he developed a fondness for paintings by Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dali, and Vincent Van Gogh. He was also fond of music produced by Mozart.

Gehirn was not only interested in seeing how the Angel would learn to interact but also on what made him different from humans in ability. At the time, the only difference he showed was a physical A.T Field – one which he was not always in control of.

On the day Dr. Ikari “died”, much of his social progress seemed to fall back. However this being he liked the late doctor the most, rather than him disliking the other researchers. Wanting more opportunities to further their learning and feeling there were other things to occupy Gehirn (soon to become Nerv), “Jerahmeel”, as he was named soon after the loss of their colleague, and the remaining scientists relocated to another lab, the location of which is classified. False information was sent to Gendo that Jerahmeel died of “grief” – as if they thought that he would care. However this move was not under the direction of Gehirn nor SEELE. Apparently, the research team - whose identities remain secret under SEELE – had interests of their own.

The experiments are undocumented as of today, but what can be extrapolated is that they would be considered inhumane and cruel if they were applied to lab animals – much less humanoids. Some time later, the location of the laboratory was exposed under orders of SEELE, after one of the scientists was caught intoxicated at a bar, discussing their work.

In the “secret” lab, it was immediately discovered that the boy was nowhere to be found - instead finding the lab populated only by a few security personnel and a handful of stressed researchers, mulling over computer screens and spreadsheets. Among the materials, agents discovered audio recordings of Jerahmeel screaming and crying – apparently being abused. There were photos revealing the boy going through physical mutations. His current appearance is unknown – however if he was to take on Form 2 (fig. 5) he has not achieved that yet. There were also disturbing photos of the experiments themselves. Their purpose remains undisclosed, though some of the recovered computer data would suggest that they were trying to figure out what he could become.

One of the last recordings was one of the child being interviewed by a scientist:

Scientist : How have you felt after these latest tests?
Jerahmeel : I want to go home…
Scientist: Your home?
Jerahmeel : ( in tears and hysteria ) Yes! Home! I want to go home! I don't want any more needles or wire going down my throat or into my head! I don't want to be strapped down and feel sharp things entering my stomach…(sobbing)…I want to go home…

Shortly after, violence erupted in the lab. Before armed forces could enter, the Angel apparently had broken free; leaving behind the ravaged bodies of two of the seven scientists. The Angel is currently being hunted by NERV and SEELE.

Physical Description:

Figure 1

Figure 2

Figure 3

Figure 4

Figure 5: Form 2

Abilities:

Form 1: On the left side of Jerahmeel’s body, he can grow a wing-like structure at will. The red glow makes it seem similar to an A.T. Field of some sort; though it is actually not a part of the Field. The particles of the wing vibrate at a velocity such that it can cause great damage with the slightest touch. On the right side there is a small incomplete wing structure. A halo surrounds his head, acting as extension of his A.T. Field.

He is able to levitate in the air and can produce a moderately powerful A.T. Field that protects his entire body. He is capable of telekinesis and establishing a high synch ratio with an Eva. Though in a state of unstable mutation, he can gradually revert back to human form.

Form 2: A stable form, the Angel can grow greatly in size at will, from a human height of 6 feet to a towering 50 meters. At this state, he is significantly stronger, faster, and more agile than an Eva, but not impossible for an Eva to defeat. He has a powerful A.T. Field no more or less than that of an Eva's.
Though the Angel is not capable of long range attacks with projectiles, he is brutal in close-range combat, and is difficult to keep distant from. Jerahmeel moves in a very animal-like and brutal fashion. He powerful claws make his strikes deadly and he possesses a powerful bite. The skin is also very hard and difficult to break. If a limb is cut off, it can regenerate within 5-10 seconds. Even at his smallest, he is a powerful creature capable of tossing around motor vehicles.

Overall:
Though Jerahmeel has the potential to become quite powerful, his mutation cycles can be unstable and unpredictable. A pilot that is skilled enough, has a good enough synch ratio, or can enter berserker can overcome, or even overpower him.

Text and Art: devil_eAter
Editing: Chowwow

Ok! What does everyone think?

As for the last two kids, I would really appreciate it if they can be brought in as soon as possible. I hate to sound like a hardass, but everyone else has a schedule to keep too and there is still the Judgment stage of the contest to do. It's been over a week: if worst comes to worse, I may have to force someone to withdraw and move on.
Last edited by Chowwow on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:18 am

:jawdrop: *

Holy Backstory, Batman!

* My actual facial expression after I finished reading that truly EPIC post.

Not Kidding.

That one had an interesting fanfic attached, a character, great drawings, a sense that this is not just some dungeon boss but rather a villan that actually had the means and motives for destruction, and overall a human personality. It was interesting that you managed to make a humanoid without making him Rei or Kowarou. It does have serious similarities to Lucy a la Elfen Lied, but without the deadly waif angle, and with a seriously disturbing and Frankenstien-ish transformation that makes him a menacing monstrosity from Silent Hill or something. But that is not a problem, oh no, this thing has nothing to make up for at all. It wins on so many levels, and the character sends so many WIN tests off the charts that comparing him to Lucy is quite intended as a compliment.

GOOD JOB!

now I don't know who I want to see win this contest...
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:47 am

Wow. In terms of personality, this guy seems like an anti-Kaworu of sorts. I think an insert of him into NGE wouldn't be bad in the least.
Or have I gone too far with that comment...?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:15 am

Nice story, and I like Form 2 quite a bit.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Fan Works”