I am requesting volunteers to participate in a design contest open to all who are interested, even to those who are not part of EvaGeeks.
The Evangelion Versus Angels Design Contest (Updated May 1, 2011)
Design your own, one-of-a-kind Angel or Eva that could feasibly exist within the universe of NGE. Attention should be paid to artistic design, character qualities (if applicable), design innovation, and (to a lesser extent) combat ability and presentation.
Angels submitted in this contest will be eligible (at the original artist's discretion) to appear in a future NGE-related project.
In the interest of expanding our boundaries, this Contest is also open to other fan writers who wish to introduce their own Designs for their own fan projects that are completely unrelated to my own.
The objectives of this competition:
- 1. Attempt to test and rally the creative energies of EvaGeeks and organize them into a cohesive force.
2. To produce a unique design that may see the light of day as a character in a future Evangelion-based fan project produced by yours truly.
3. To exercise creative freedom and have fun while under supervision and the restrictions of a loose deadline, a somewhat demanding goal, and a few rules.
This competition will come in the judgment for the most interesting Designs. I hope that all Entrants of this Contest will receive praise for participating in this contest and find satisfaction in putting out their best work for all to see.
Designers who are judged to have demonstrated an extraordinary amount of skill in designing their Angel, however, will receive a greater chance of their designs being selected for a fairly prominent role in the final project and an Award emblem produced by me or a gracious volunteer (See Awards below).
Purpose of this Thread:
This thread, of course, is the place where the rules and details about the contest will be displayed for reference, as well as where all of the entries of the contest will be collected and posted for all to see.
In the mean time, while we are all waiting for the Results to come, this space will be used for the discussion of the contest and our designs. That is, we can talk about and dispute the rules of the contest and share general ideas and help that can be used for Angel design such as: character development, combat abilities, naming, symbolism, etc. Links to other sites or parts of this forum concerning all of this are allowed and even appreciated.
The Contest begins on the first of May and ends towards the end of the summer season. All Designers should have at least three and one-half months to research, draw, write and complete their concepts. Please see the schedule below on the second post for specific dates.
Registration begins the day the Contest begins until the middle of August of the same year. At that point, Registrations are closed as the day after is the beginning of Presentations. Registrants do not have to be EvaGeeks members, as I will be the moderator for the content that will be posted later.
All participants are to register for their position by announcing their role in this contest by posting it on this thread. Your entrance into the contest will be confirmed when I make a post or update an old one that lists you as an entrant. One can register for the contest at anytime, up to the last second of mid-August, just make sure I acknowledge your existence. Anyone may withdraw their registration and/or Designs anytime they wish upon notification.
A Presentation date will be assigned for each Designer at least a week before Presentation week. Designers may request a time period that is most convenient for them. Designs must be submitted to me via e-mail or PM at least one hour before their day of presentation, 12:00 AM EST. I will be responsible for formally posting the Design for Presentation.
Designers can to allow me to make grammar and format edits to the document if they so desire. Each Design will be presented one day at a time for all to see and marvel. Designers are free to put further work into their creation until the assigned time for their unveiling comes, so long as I get it in time.
Those who do not submit their Angel or Eva before their Presentation time will receive another chance to present and will be placed at the end of the current schedule. There is a one week window after the latest presentation date (including if it has been moved) for all late Designers to submit their Designs. The last day for Presentations will stop being moved when we come within one day of the first re-scheduled date. If the week has elapsed without a submission by the Designer, the Designer is automatically withdrawn from the contest.
These deadlines are there to keep designers focused and judges and audiences excited. There is no penalty for missing these deadlines, just get them to me at some point when they are done. However, timing does speak of an individual’s work ethics.
The Judges will be given one week (starting after the day of the last Presentation) to decide on their choices for winners. I will arrange to be available to all Judges via PM during the middle of the week of deliberations to get a situation report on votes and moderate decisions. Judges should aim to submit their votes on the second-to-last day of the week. I will spend the last day going over the votes and taking any last second decisions before arraigning the Awards.
Awards will be presented on a two per day basis until all have been Awarded. At this point, all decisions are final unless all Judges vote to appeal the deadline. Afterwords is the Afterthoughts period, where everyone can chime in on the Designs and the results of the Awards.
The two positions up for registration are:
- Designers: These are the warriors of this effort, and kudos will be awarded to those who can deliver on the goods. Anyone who wishes to participate may do so on his or her own volition within the registration period. Rules for Designers are described in the indicated section below. An unlimited number of Designers are allowed to enter.
Judges: Those who will be reading the entries and nominating them for Awards; all who can read these words and think that they can be good critics are qualified. Rules and roles for Judges will be described below in the indicated section.
There is only need for at most seven Judges. A number less than seven would be acceptable, but an odd number of Judges is ultimately needed. For the sake of maintaining a fair democracy, the maximum number of Judges is preferable. If there is an even number of Judges or if there is a tie during Judgment, I will step in to cast the equalizing vote.
Role of the Audience:
Anyone not interested in joining this volunteer force is free to view and discuss about anything they see in this thread as they see fit. They are also free to join the contest whenever they feel like it before the end date.
It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can contribute to discussions and leave their critiques and insight on the resulting concepts with will be produced. Just know that anyone who is not registered as a Judge cannot vote a concept for an award.
I will maintain the rules and organization of this contest and adjust things according to the situation of this event at hand. While I am the one organizing this event, I’m not the type to just sit down and sit on my lazy ass and stroke my ego while everyone else is working.
I will cast the tie-breaking vote if our Judges do not come to a popular consensus on the winner of an Award.
I will also be a Designer: I shall post my own Angel design that I have been working on. I will also fall under the rules followed by all designers, with some additional ones.
It will only serve to act as an example for all. This Design will be posted last, only after all other concepts have been completed, posted, and nominated for Awards. Unlike the others, my Design is automatically disqualified to win any awards and cannot be voted on by the Judges – though all should feel free to critique it all the same. The purpose of this Contest is to test and recognize other artists, not to promote myself.
Rules For Designers:
- 1. All creations must be feasible in the canon rules of NGE’s universe. That means:
• The Angel must have all of the qualities of an Angel, i.e. AT-Field, core, etc.
2. All creations must be the original concept of the designer:
• The Angel cannot be an obvious redesign of the canonical Angels or creatures from other works of fiction. Borrowing their names is not allowed.
• Angels based on redesigns of extra-canonical, pre-production, or unused Angel concepts are allowed, as are borrowing their names. Justified because they are incomplete, unbalanced and unofficial, thus further development in these creatures would be interesting to work on if Designers are so inclined.
• Angels from any of a Designer’s previous NGE fan-fiction works are allowed to be entered in this contest, as long as all of these other rules have been covered. Designers should feel free to update and polish their old Designs as much or as little as they want; though I would recommend that they should at least be made up to the specs that will be mentioned later.
• Designers are well within their right to make Angels “inspired” by other sources, how much inspirational influence allowed is something I leave to you all. Honest coincidences are certainly allowed. Be advised that a Design too heavily influenced by another pre-existing concept may lose favor when being selected for an Award (or when the time finally comes to select Angels for the intended project).
• Designers can either work alone or in groups with people inside or outside EvaGeeks.org (more on that later). Collaborations and partnerships are accepted, working in teams is perfectly fine, but be sure to give credit to where it’s due. How work is divided is up to the Designers, but all individuals must be cited according to their contribution to the project. This is so all participants will receive recognition in the end.
3. All creations must be kept confidential until the scheduled release date.
• The rest of this thread will be used to discuss ideas, recommendations, and general terms about Angel design concepts between all fellow designers and others interested, but please refrain from disclosing specific details about your Angels in this thread. I would prefer to keep things under wraps until we unveil them when they are good and ready. I also want to minimize creativity contamination as much as possible and get as fresh ideas as possible.
• Designers working on their own Angels can collaborate on each others' concepts if they are so inclined. While I would prefer that people work on one concept and one concept only, be sure to cite each other and keep details of your own projects confidential to others and to each other if they are not relevant to your collaboration.
4. All Angel designs will be judged on their own merit and as they are when they are finally turned in on the deadline.
• Designers cannot make appeals to the judges on the quality of their work; the concept must speak for the designer.
5. All designs entered here will be fully credited as the work of their respective designer, who will also be recognized in the final project if it ever comes to fruition.
• The original designer will also be involved in all possible future edits to the concept and is free to withdraw his/her design if they so wish. In return, I and my associates are not allowed to replicate the form and major innovation of the withdrawn Angel without the permission of the original designer.
• All who may wish to borrow a Design from this Contest must gain permission from the original Designer. I nor my associates have any say on the original concept and will not disclose further details on them.
6. Designers can only submit one Design per category.
• It is possible for a Designer to produce one Eva and one Angel in this Contest, as they are separate categories within the Contest.
• Multiple Designs by the same Designer (that is, more than one Angel or Eva) in a Contest are not allowed. If a Designer has more than one idea, then he/she should consider entering one of them for next year’s Contest.
Make an Angel/Eva and not a Power Ranger monster/robot, do your own damn work, keep your mouths shut about your projects until your day to shine comes, don’t whine and what's yours is yours!
Recommendations for those trying for success:
- 1. Make an honest effort and show me what you’ve got.
• While I am hoping to find quality work, I am also looking for Concepts in general. Put in as much or as little effort as you deem fit.
• Even if you can only manage to put out a page’s worth of information of your concept, it could still prove useful. At least try to include enough information that would allow us to draw a picture of it.
• Designers are encouraged to look towards anything – from other anime, military technology, animal biology and even music – as sources for inspiration.
2. Design your Angels/Evas to go up against other Angels/Evas.
3. Future alterations to Designs may be made if selected to appear in future products.
• With due respect to the original creator(s), I intend to make as few edits as possible with these designs.
• Ideas from one design may be integrated with another to form a Chimera beast, if deemed as an interesting option.
4. A good Design is one that is well thought-out and has a blend of both strengths and weaknesses.
• This is not an arms race to build the most powerful Angel/Eva. This is a product of the efforts of the Designer in the research, aesthetic development, and balancing of their concept.
• While an Angel/Eva should have powerful abilities that make it a formidable foe, it should also have clear weaknesses that an opponent can use and exploit.
• While uber-powerful Angels/Evas could be very eye-catching and exciting to use, demand for them is likely to be lukewarm and they may be more prone to edits in the future than others for story balancing reasons. Mid-level to fairly powerful Designs (more info on rankings later) are likely to be in high demand and less likely to be nerfed or changed in the final product.
Do your best - you don’t have to pretend to be a pro, make it battle-ready, expect some edits, and Good Design =/= Badass Mofo but Good Design = methodically balanced and well-thought creature.
Recommended format for Presentations:
These are the specifications that I feel would do best to organize your design for all to read. Keep in mind that this format is only a suggestion that would make it easier to understand your concept. Feel free to diverge, add or subtract from this format:
Name and Title: i.e. Tabris the Angel of Free Will or Chester the Angel of Biscuits and Gravy.
Pilot (if applicable):
Size Measurements: Height, wing span, weight, breast size, shoe size, etc.
Class Ranking (if applicable): The opinionated overall rank of the Angel. It goes from as follows, from weakest to strongest:
D-Class (an uncommon minority class), C-Class (the most common class), B-Class (a very decent, mid-level class), A-Class (the majority of the powerhouses in Angel society), and finally S-Class (a rare minority group consisting of very old or extraordinary Angels).
Type: Your own short description of what kind of Angel/Eva it is (infection-type, aerial attacker, mind infiltrator, spawning-type, etc.)
References: If applicable, name some sources of interest that were used to help in the research towards developing the Angel/Eva, such as articles, pictures or sound files of things that were used as inspiration.
Personal Characterization / Background History: This space provides the opportunity to depict your Angel as a dramatic (even human) character, if desired. Feel free to explain the Angel’s personality, past history, quirks, eccentricities, desires and motivations – or lack thereof.
This space can also be used to describe the development history of your Eva as it applies to your own plot line.
Physical Description: This space allows you to communicate in text the look and physical design of your creation and paint a picture of your vision for the audience. Provide as much or as little detail as you wish. Try describing its main features such as look, form and structure. Details that might help could be describing the patterns, textures or other fine details that may adorn your creation. Feel free to include illustrations that would be of great help in visualizing your Designl.
Abilities: Below are the various things that your Angel/Eva is capable of. Try to describe things in details like endurance limitations, range (i.e. relative short, medium or long range), damage causing potential, etc.
If you wish, you may give names to your abilities or attacks for identification purposes. However, the names will only be used for our purposes, there will be no calling of the names of attacks in the final project – this is NGE not DBZ.
Defenses: Describe defensive options, which can include the following:
AT-Field Performance: Explain the strength of your Design’s ATF (ex. light, medium, heavy). Also feel free to explain the details of the ATF such as: its special functions, its applications, range of effect, etc.
Armor Type: This section can be used to illustrate the Design’s conventional defenses. Such things can involve the material of the armor (ex. metallic, chitinous) and the properties of the armor (ex. absorbent, reflective, etc).
Regenerative abilities: Describe the Design's ability for healing. Details such as the length of time it takes to heal and the extent of the damage that can be repaired may be explained here.
Offenses: Illustrate the Design’s ability to put the hurt on its foes. The sky is the limit here and there are no specific kinds of abilities that are required. Try describing the physics and mechanics of the attack, its effects, range, limitations, etc.
Miscellaneous other abilities: This section can include things that are not specifically combat-oriented, such as senses (eyesight, auditory, spectral, etc), special skills or features, or other talents.
Combat skills and strategies: Describe the overall attack plan and battle tendencies of the Angel/Eva. Feel free to include some of its advantages and disadvantages in battle, and any other things that are note worthy.
Names of Designer and all contributors: Remember, give credit to where it’s due.
The "Class" levels go from Class S to Class D. For those who wish to follow the Class rankings for Angels, here is my general idea of what specifies as what falls into what category:
Class D: The lowest class, all Angels here are relatively weak. More of an "other" pile, because all Angels lower than the next class are lumped here. Two Class D Angels can be light years apart in skill but still both be lower than a Class C.
Example: Matariel, the crying giant spider Angel from the anime. The thing got shot to hell with an Eva's rifle!
Class C: The most common class. Typically slow, somewhat languid, and limited attack options. Skills and combat abilities are fairly average, but Angels in this category can still be very dangerous.
Examples: Sachiel, the third Angel and Shamshel the fourth Angel.
Class B: Above average, uncommon class. These Angels are skilled and present a real threat especially early on in the series. They are a challenge even for a skilled Eva pilot and are not to be underestimated.
Examples: Gaghiel, the sixth Angel that was destroyed during Asuka's first Angel battle, Sandalphon the eighth Angel in the volcano, and Israfel the dancing Angel that split in half (would have been higher if its armor were stronger).
Class A: The upper class of Angels, most of these appeared at the end of the anime. They are either very aggressive, possess incredible speed, firepower or strength, very strategic and methodical (even for an Angel), or a combination of those. However, they are only a few steps behind from being truly powerful.
Examples from anime: Ramiel the fifth Angel with the famous particle beam and diamond body, Bardiel the Angel that possessed Unit-03, Zeruel the strong Angel with the paper-thin arms, Arael the bird-like Angel that mind-raped Asuka, Armisael the Angel who infected Unit-00, and all of the Mass-Production Evas.
Class S: Demi-Gods. Only a select few inhabit this class. They are quite mysterious: they may be perfect in all aspects (incredibly fast, intensely driven and aggressive, possessing many supernatural abilities and attack options, may possess the passion and wisdom of a human) or may not even need to fight at all. Unquestionably the closest incarnation of God on Earth.
Examples: Possibly Adam, Lilith and Unit-01 at the end of End of Evangelion.
Rules For Judges:
- 1. Judge all designs fairly based on the artistic quality, innovative concept, character development, combat ability and the perceived effort put onto the Angel design.
• Judges cannot get in contact with designers and discuss or arrange anything about the Awards outside of this thread.
• Judge concepts on their own merit without regard to the identity of the designer.
2. All Angel designs are eligible to win any Award.
• The reasoning behind their nomination must be sound.
• While it is possible for one design to carry the Awards, please think carefully and give other designs an honest chance.
3. A Designer can sign up to be a Judge or a Judge can be a Designer if they so choose.
• By being both a Judge and a Designer, he/she cannot vote for their own concept for an Award. This can work as a handicap against him/her when time comes for the nominations.
• Be sure to be registered for both positions if you are trying for both.
4. Judges can also feel free to post their reviews of each concept as they will just like anyone else in this thread and make their feeling public knowledge.
• Judges will receive a copy of the Presentation as it is about to be posted by me as soon as I have prepared it. Judges cannot make comments on them until after it has been officially posted on the thread.
• I recommend that criticism should be constructive. No put-downs; please this is not high school.
• Discussions can be public but votes for the Awards will be kept confidential and only I will know who voted for what. Keep in touch with me via e-mail or PM to voice your votes.
5. Judges will have seven days after the last Designer-made Angel is posted to officially deliberate and cast their vote for an Angel for Awards.
• While we all have our first impressions, refrain from making promises on nominations on something until it’s finally over.
• Judges are free to discuss with other Judges and myself over nominations at anytime.
• Judges should maintain contact with me to find out what everyone is voting on while deliberating. I will be available during the third or fourth day of deliberations to discuss awarding via PM.
• If necessary, the Judges can vote to have no more than one more week to deliberate.
6. A majority vote is needed for a Design to win an Award.
• Two votes is the minimum number of votes needed to win an Award.
• Chowwow will place the tie-breaking vote for a hotly contested Award if Judges do not come to an agreement. However, if a situation arises where the minimum number of votes to win have not been met, it is not considered a tie and Chowwow cannot vote to select a winner.
• Judges have the right to refuse to vote for a nominee for an Award. A Judge may simply leave the space on his ballot blank and leave a reason as to why they did not vote for a winner.
• If there is a hotly contested issue, we must discuss online via e-mail, IM or PM.
Be fair and honest, what you see is what you get, you can do whatever you want except promote yourself, reviews appreciated but Simon Cowell wannabes are not, in seven days there will be awards, and may democracy reign!
These are the awards that are up for grabs. They will be posted all at once in the form of an emblem recognizing the artists responsible, along with comments by judges and audience members in no particular order.
While they may be nice to have, these are merely rewards used to praise you artists; designers should focus on putting out a fine product rather than winning these awards. Besides, these are Photoshop doodads that just about anyone can whip out; it’s not worth stressing over!
Best Innovation: This Award goes to the Design with the most interesting features or abilities – be it in design, how it fights, or its concept in general.
Best Design: This Award goes to the Design with the best artistically attractive physical design. Attention will be paid either to illustrations, text descriptions, or both.
Best Presentation: This Award goes to the Design that was presented to the audience in an attractive and enjoyable format. More of a comment on the designer than the Design itself, it is nonetheless praiseworthy to make several pages of reading enjoyable to go through. Attention will be paid to format, grammar, and use of word play, illustrations or the like.
Best Character: This Award goes to the Design with the most engrossing and interesting personality or story background. Attention will be paid to descriptions of it as a dramatic character.
Best Fighter: This Award goes to the overall most formidable combatant among all of the entries. Attention will be paid to the kinds of weapons and abilities it uses, its defenses and its skill in combat situations.
The Quirky Award: This goes out to the Design that comes out as being endearingly quirky and interestingly odd.
Best Symbolism: This Award goes to the Design that makes use of its title. The use of symbolism (religious or otherwise) would serve to enhance the feel, characterization, and quality of the Design. Attention will be paid to the descriptions of it and how it relates to its intended or perceived symbolic appeal.
Best Scenario: This Award is given in recognition of a Design with the most interesting encounter, setting and/or battle. Attention will be paid to the Designer's background descriptions concerning the origins of the participants, introduction into the NGE universe, interactions with the NGE cast and specific challenges in combat (use of abilities, situations, etc).
Best in Contest: This Award is presented to the Design that is, overall, the most-well rounded and interesting product in the entire contest. Attention will be paid to the entire description of the Design as well as how it compares to all of its rivals.
Voting Ballot for all Judges:
This is the ballot that all Judges must fill out and return to me via PM within Judgment week. To use this format:
- 1. Click quote on this post.
2. Select and copy the ballot.
3. Paste onto a PM addressed to: “Chowwow”
4. At the subject line, type: "EvADC Ballot: (Judge's username)"
5. Place your votes for each category and league and submit the PM.
Best in Contest:
That seems to be all for now, I hope to see you all soon and best of luck to you all!
Season 1 is over! See Pages 10 - 11 for the winners!
Season 2 is over! See Pages 22 - 23 for the winners!
Season 3 is over! See Page 36 for the winners!
Season 4 is here!