do you think anno would have made EoE if the backlash hadn't been as bad?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
cody727kirby
Adam

Re: do you think anno would have made EoE if the backlash hadn't been as bad?

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:53 pm

Here is an excerpt from Anno's 2013 interview with Kazuo Koike (thread/15478/Hideaki-Anno-x-Kazuo-Koike-October-22-2013/):
We had no time for episode 25, so we remade it for the theatrical edition. The final episode, episode 26, was going to be that way originally. In the scene in episode 16 which depicts a conversation between Shinji and the angel, Tsurumaki-san forbade [the angel's use of] Japanese. So due to that, the theme became from then on conversations with oneself, and it ended with the question of how you can come to terms with other people. We did [the finale] in four days. We did the voice recording first, and then drew the storyboards.

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:52 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I'm trying to find the interview in which this error was detailed, but failing. (I swear I remember reading it on this forum somewhere.) It had something to do with the collecting and photographing of cels I believe. Don't quote me on that one.

It's been a few months, but I managed to stumble upon it by total accident. From an interview with Toshio Okada, here's the link detailing the statement: http://web.archive.org/web/200012171630 ... king8.html

And the Evageeks thread where this was posted: http://egforum.cassland.org/thread/1002 ... onneamise/

But to quote the guy:

"I talked with Mr. Anno about this a month ago, and then he said, "I'm *almost* the producer of NGE, but I must be so, because Tatsunoko did not do anything for NGE." See, he is very disappointed with Tatsunoko, and some rumors have said that Tatsunoko lost the film, or cels before they were shot. (...) I asked Mr. Anno, "Is it the truth?" And he says, in a dark voice, "Yes." "

Hopefully, that should clear things up a little bit.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:59 pm

Thank, man! I knew I wasn't going crazy.

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:20 pm

Is the "lost film" mentioned here the original film for Episode 16?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:51 pm

Yes. The next answer in the linked interview is:
OKADA: But that was in the middle of the episodes. That wasn't the trouble with the last two episodes, the confusion.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”