Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:07 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Every character except Shinji changing dramatically and suddenly, and some of the actors having a hard time adjusting?

If that was truly the case then the Japanese premiere would also have been a barrel of laughs for all, and we know for an undeniable fact that it was not.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:15 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Every character except Shinji changing dramatically and suddenly, and some of the actors having a hard time adjusting?

If that's the case, they're all really lousy actors. My assumption is that it's more an issue with the adaptation process.

MrSniper1401
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MrSniper1401 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:17 pm

I think some people are really over exaggerating that 3.33's dub was terrible. It wasn't. The acting was perfectly fine and up to the same quality as the previous two films. The only real problems were Misato sounding too angry at the end, Kaworu mispronouncing his name and, MAYBE, Kawrou a couple of Kaworu's lines with Shinji being too overtly gay. I really think even if they followed the Japanese script as literally as possible, people would have still laughed in the same scenes they did as the dub that came out in theaters, its just the way it is here in the U.S. and even other western countries
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:23 pm

Nah. It was pretty terrible across the board. Right down to the casting of two people who sound almost exactly alike to play Gendo & Fuyutsuki. It sounded like one dude talking to himself.

Jimbob
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jimbob » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:31 pm

As someone who was at comic con, I don't think they were laughing at the dub (Kaworu context aside) so much as the movie ITSELF. Heck the guy next to me was basically laughing in confusion the whole movie because he had no idea what had happened so the movie was coming off as absurd. Or to quote him. "It like it's its not following the last film at all. It's almost like a joke or something."

I mean nobody was laughing at "hahaha Kaworu said his name wrong, tehee." I don't think anyone noticed to be honest.

What they WERE laughing at was stuff like, after Shinji's refusal to listen to anyone started the next impact he has a line of "So this is my fault" or something, and I'm pretty sure that line is in the original too, and everyone laughed for like a solid minute along with jeers of "Of course you idiot!" and other such yelling. This would happen regardless of how it's dubbed.

They also laughed at stuff like Gendo just ignoring him and leaving, which again, isn't the dub, as he doesn't even say anything.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:36 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Nah. It was pretty terrible across the board. Right down to the casting of two people who sound almost exactly alike to play Gendo & Fuyutsuki. It sounded like one dude talking to himself.

Seriously. Did it not occur to anyone involved in the production that they sounded like the same person?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:46 pm

^Funimation knows all. The twist in FINAL is that they ARE the same person!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:52 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^Funimation knows all. The twist in FINAL is that they ARE the same person!

What if John Connor went back in time to find out he started the whole war?

:scanners_head:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:53 pm

IMO it wasn't as terrible as people are making it out to be, but the KawoShin scenes were cringe-inducing and all sense of nuance was utterly gone. It was about the same as the other dubs, i.e. "mediocre for a U.S. effort and pretty bad compared to the source material." Not sure another attempt will help matters, but if that's what they're doing I have to give Funi props for the effort.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:05 pm

Maybe the last segments of an Eva film are so complex and creatively charged that you really can’t throw it at a cast that isn’t as successful as the cast Disney gets for their Ghibli movie dubs. I mean, EoE has some fairly noticeable flaws that are obvious, but it also just suffers because we don’t have an A-list cast for an A-list movie.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:41 pm

View Original PostTonyTH wrote:I REALLY don't like Shinji calling Gendo "Dad" instead of just "father". It doesn't hurt it too much, but it IS noticeable.

I feel the same way.

Regarding the 3.33 dub: Shinji saying Rei liked "the classics" (when saying Rei likes to read books) or him calling Kaworu "my best friend" (in place of them going on a first-name basis) works, but Asuka's "asshole" and "little shit" was more comical then anything. :uhh: I didn't have a problem with the occasional swearing from Mari and Asuka, though I can see how some fans felt it was out of place. Although Mari's swears in 2.0 felt just awkward, it didn't feel this way in 3.0.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^Funimation knows all. The twist in FINAL is that they ARE the same person!

No wonder they sound nearly the same! :lol:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Jimbob
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jimbob » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:00 pm

I think the swearing is necessery to show Asuka is really really displeased with Shinji. Calling him a brat might work in the more polite Japan, but in the US kids gets called brats all the time. Brat basically equals "You child are being slightly irritating." Calling someone an asshole on the other hand is a slightly more attention grabbing offense. Well unless you're on the road. Then you yell that at everyone else that is also on the road.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:01 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I didn't have a problem with the occasional swearing from Mari and Asuka, though I can see how some fans felt it was out of place.

POINT BLANK SHITHEAD

MrSniper1401
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MrSniper1401 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:18 pm

For those of you who have not seen the dub, there are actually several theater-cam clips on youtube if you wanted to see what it was like and make your own judgement of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EZV4tKAIKk&list=UUkFtg05IKuOHTQ5GEUIHKIw
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:24 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:POINT BLANK SHITHEAD

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Although Mari's swears in 2.0 felt just awkward, it didn't feel this way in 3.0.

:tongue:

But yeah, don't remind me of how out-of-place that was. :hahaha:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:16 pm

That makes me think, Asuka says to Shinji to "let her kill him/go die" when she's charging him in Lilith's Chamber, right? Instead of the more subdued Japanese version where she told him to go down/surrender.

Do you think that line will be replaced? I mean if in FINAL we see Asuka calming down, admit that she was partially at fault too and be a little more friendly to Shinji, it might be jarring to US audience since in the previous movie she was screaming that she was going to kill him, and acting like she was really trying to do it!

As for Mari, was her swearing in 2.0 that bad? I mean from what I understand she only swears on two occasions, and that during a battle, when you tends to use a coarser language, so a "just fucking die" or "pointblank, shithead!" doesn't sound that strange to me.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:26 pm

Well, I did send Funimation that email (which they never replied to) about Asuka's line, so I'm hoping they'll at least consider it if they're redubbing the majority of scenes.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:30 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Regarding the 3.33 dub: Shinji saying Rei liked "the classics" (when saying Rei likes to read books) or him calling Kaworu "my best friend" (in place of them going on a first-name basis) works, but Asuka's "asshole" and "little shit" was more comical then anything. :uhh: I didn't have a problem with the occasional swearing from Mari and Asuka, though I can see how some fans felt it was out of place. Although Mari's swears in 2.0 felt just awkward, it didn't feel this way in 3.0.

I thought "Just fucking die already!" was pretty good, personally. IMO this was one of the best scenes of the dub.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:45 pm

Subtitles are for literal translations. Dubs should play around with things more. I remain a fan of almost all the English swearing, going back to the original. "So fucking what if I'm not you!?" is the appropriate reaction to EoE!Shinji.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:55 pm

English Misato’s line in EoE at least conveyed a proper approximation of the original VA’s intent, whereas English Asuka’s line in 3.33 “Just fucking die already,” really didn’t hold as close of an approximation to the original VA’s intent.

Note that I’m saying “intent” as opposed to “direct meaning.” If English VA dubs can’t even express a close facsimile of the original intent, then those are English dubs not with listening to.

Now Asuka’s “Just fucking die already,” might have been a nicely delivered line for all it was worth existing in that vacuum. Unfortunately, though, the line doesn’t exist in a vacuum, and the rest of the film (and even the next film) has to be interpreted with the context of that intent. If they get it wrong, they could find themselves drifting further and further away from the original intent of the story with each new film they translate in order to maintain a consistently developing tone.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”