-46h (GENERAL)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: -46h (GENERAL) [SPOILER]

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:11 pm

View Original PostChrisTamv wrote: What's interesting is that the other WILLE members who - as far as we know - didn't lose as many things as Midori, Misato, and Asuka did as a result of the above events, are the first ones to go against Midori in 3.0+1.0 and state that N3I, while destructive, was an unintended consequence. This in my mind all but confirms that the trauma, perhaps even PTSD caused to these three individuals especially has clouded their judgement in regards to Shinji and has resulted in them acting out of impulse because of the pain they feel and their personal feelings, and that the movies greatly acknowledge it. It's very well established that besides being in arrested development physically, Asuka hasn't matured much mentally either (which makes sense considering her environment), and the same is probably true for Midori, who immediately dismisses the rest of the WILLE crew's more rational takes on the tragedy. There is no way no one else has brought up this subject in front of Midori during these past 14 years. It's just that, as we clearly see in 3.0+1.0, she most probably immediately dismissed them as soon as they popped up, which is a very plausible human reaction.

You're forgetting about Sakura, who said her father died due to the N3I. At this point, I'm going to assume she's referring to the corification (since Midori also said the N3I killed her family).

We should remember other members of WILLE crew was hostile to Shinji in 3.0. So, it's clear they've certain grudge to Shinji too (even if it isn't so strong as Midori's). They are more rational in 3.0+1.0, but this is partially to defend Misato (for not daring to kill Shinji in 3.0).

PS: Hikari's father also seems to have issue with Shinji even if he is more "subtle". That's why Kensuke feel it's the best for Shinji live in his house.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:31 pm

I guess ultimately my problem is with the context being deemed unimportant. Shinji literally acted as part of what made everything happen, but the context around that action is so complicated, that it makes little sense for these simplistic takeaways to occur. It's believable a civilian might come to some misguided notion (ain't that an understatement!) but not really for someone who's part of an organization with top-level classified info at disposal.

View Original PostChrisTamv wrote:I think the motivations make more than enough sense. Considering how often Gendo and Fuyutsuki outmaneuver WILLE in the last 2 movies, and how much about his plans they still don't know, they most certainly don't know the whole story about Gendo's manipulation and how he was directly involved in N3I. So what you ultimately have is Shinji (pretty much alone) causing the Impact at the end of 2.0, which they all know was done to save a single person. Then, Near Third Impact, the event which almost destroyed the entire world, (somehow) happened as an consequence of the above event, which is another fact everyone knows.

But that's exactly it. Sure there's some things they weren't privy to, but they seem to know enough to posit the ultimate reveal of the anti-universe, and Kaji is established as being a spy for the explicit purpose of getting said characters as much info as possible. I don't think there's a plausible way for Gendo's ultimate mastermind of it all to be in any doubt. And the fact of his masterminding would logically undermine any way for Shinji to be found culpable. Yes, he didn't save Asuka but saved Rei, but no one posited that these were intended by Gendo? They seem to make assumptions in 3.0+1.0 that certain actions of theirs might be playing into his hand, so how do you at the same time acknowledge that this dude seems to be plausibly responsible for any little action, even if it seems like someone else did it independently, and then continue to find a teenager responsible? I mean, how do you even begin to describe who Shinji is beyond being "some idiot" without immediately also talking about Gendo?

Sure, let's say Midori latches on to what Asuka says because of the life save. But what does it look like when an adult comes in and ushers said survivor into their midst? She isn't given a clearer understanding of it all to the extent that she gets a bigger picture idea beyond Shinji being a baka?

I don't see how you can arrive at the point of Shinji being anything but a pawn if you knew who Gendo was at all, even without classified info, because you'd know this person who did this thing was the dude's son and that said dude is the highest position of authority in what you know is a shadowy org. There would only be some confusion there if he weren't currently still attacking you relentlessly. Maybe you could assume the son was in on it and was also evil, but it could only be by way of the whole dad being high command thing. I don't see how you can develop a deep personal searing hatred for someone immediately after learning they were a teenager who had been openly alienated by their father, immediately before learning the father in question was a double-crosser currently attacking you. How can such a firm grudge set in before any tangible grasp of any part of the scenario, and when every part of the scenario seems to confirm that the teenager was expendable to the evil master plot?

I don't disagree that the films are presenting a personal baggage, PTSD angle for these characters, but intent doesn't mean execution had finesse. My gripes aren't with the concept itself of Midori mutually sharing in Asuka's grudge, it just doesn't feel like the point A being drawn is well connected to the point B driving the character's actions. And while these have been contentions many have had since Q, I can't help but feel as if -46h has brought this into clearer relief.
Après moi le déluge!

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:23 pm

Something else that I noticed that might indicate that this short takes place after Actual Third Impact: if you look at the nose of the plane Mari is piloting, you can see that the "NERV" lettering is barred by two blue bars, the same way that the Wunder's original name was barred in Thrice, so the rebellion must had already happened, and we know from Kohji in Thrice that it happened as Third Impact happened.

Also I find it darkly amusing how this short present a Midori driven full of determination as if she was a shonen protagonist, then in the movies, once put in combat situations, she's the one freaking out the hardest and in Thrice is told by Maya (a veteran) to calm down, sit and continue her work. :lol:

My hot takes below in no particular order:
  • the communications at the beginning being in Japanese and English implies that the personnel of WILLE are multi-national, which is coherent with their food in Thrice being labeled in English and Russian
  • the "core wave" at the beginning of the flashback lose a lot of its gravitas when you notice the FoIs literally popping out of the ground ejected through dozen of meters in the air before falling down, clearly it doesn't have the grace of Quantum Rei taking everyone's soul! :hitthetable:
  • the way the the core erosion first spread as a giant wave going a light-speed and then spreads much slower and also around the FoIs as they pop out of the grounds makes me wonder if the initial wave wasn't when Actual Third Impact was happening, then as it was stopped by Kaji's sacrifice, the big wave stopped, but enough of the world had already been turned to core so it continued its spreading, with FoIs randomly popping out of the ground. That would explain why it was going so fast at the opening shot, and then going much slower (it was already several days later, but there are still fain rings in the sky that didn't dissipate yet).
  • I had the theory that those FoIs pops out in places where the density of Lilin is big enough, hence why they seemed to first appear in the middle of cities (meaning that Japan is turbo-fucked), and we later see the the popping out from the hill where Midori was hiding to be almost transparent and "jello" like, while the one in the city looked better formed, so the "consistency" of a FoI might depend on how many people form it as it emerge from the ground?
  • I wonder during how much time the FoI were mobile, if it lasted years then that might explain how NERV managed to get enough time to set out their flying base, as WILLE was too busy saving what they could from them
  • The core grid on the Moon is pulsating, I don't remember it being the case in Q and Thrice, also the Moon doesn't have the blood stains or its atmosphere yet
  • most of Unit 02's armor is green, and the pattern is almost the same as its form fused with Jet Alone, it was probably done on purpose
  • Asuka seems to have a mini-berserk mode/limit break where she let out some fo Bardiel's power for an increase in strength (we even see Unit 02's eyes turning blue!), I wonder if she didn't showed that later because her later eyepatch seal it better, she got better control over her emotions or Khara didn't thought about it :tongue:
  • it was probably noted already, but Asuka's blindfold looks almost exactly like 2B's from Nier:Automata
  • Midori spent the next 14 years living as a civilian and only very recently joined WILLE, I wonder if she lived in Village-3
  • as noted above, Asuka talking to Midori about how she should live and fight to punch the "idiot responsible for this" implies that at this point she still believed that he could come back from Unit 01's core, which makes me wonder if Unit 01 was already sent in space? Maybe after 14 years of drifting up there and Ritskuko telling that there's nothing to do, she came to the conclusion that it was over?

All in all, it was a nice "lower deck" short, got to flesh out Midori and explain that weird hair color that made her stand so much, as well as show us how terrifying this Evangelion and Impact business looks from a clueless civilian's POV.

Although like Axx°N N., I'm surprised by how the story goes that this all completely 100% Shinji's fault, seemingly forgetting about the apocalyptic Illuminati death cult behind everything of which Gendo is an important member.
The way that Asuka said that "one dumbass is the cause of that" and Midori later thinks that her goal is to hit the one who decided to destroy the world makes me wonder: do they think that Shinji triggered N3I on purpose? That he know what was happening and decided to still go through it because all he cared was Rei? Then 3.0 happens, he comes back and is asking what happened, how is everyone and is happy that they are fine, and everyone is like "fuuuuuck, he actually didn't had any idea of what was happening doesn't it?"

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Now, Shinji is blamed due to the N3I, which was the trigger for the Third Impact. However, it's difficult to blame Gendo for the N3I. The situation happened as Gendo expected, but he did not cause any of the events (except allowing Shinji to pilot Eva-01).

Bullshit.
Gendo planed for it to happen, literally most of his scenes in the first two movies are about his next moves to have it happen and how he placed all the pieces in the board for fourteen goddamned years for it to happen (up and including brainwashing), that it happened slightly differently to how he planned but still happened because of everything he did absolutely don't absolve him from blame and responsibility.

If you have plane built with a hidden function that make it go nuclear once it goes beyond a certain speed, know about it, doesn't tell it to anyone because you want it to happen, don't train or even inform the intended pilot of the plane existence or that he will have to pilot it until the moment he had to literally be shoved inside the cockpit so he won't have the opportunity to get familiar with it, brainwash the one who will be his coworker so they'll get close fast and in the way you intended because you plan to put her in a situation where he will push the plane to the speed where it'll go nuclear, and that it finally happens but because the girl put herself by her own in the situation that will incite the pilot to go to nuclear speed to save her instead of by the way you originally planed, that's not the pilot who you have to blame, but the guys who planed all of this to happen!

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:It's weird because Midori mentioned the N3I killed her family in 3.0+1.0 (while -46h implies her family dies due to the corification). At that point, she was an adult and should know the difference between the N3I and the Third Impact.

Not to mention that Kensuke and Touji speak about the N3I as it being the worst thing that happened:

Kensuke: At that time, I didn't think the old man, who survived the Near Third Impact, would die like that in an accident.

Touji: We survived even the Near Third Impact. Have trust in our own luck and in Misato's Wille.

I've really doubt the destruction at the end of 2.0 was really worse for Tokyo 3 inhabitants than the corification we see in -46h.

No wonder Gendo played them like a fiddle. Those 14 years must had been boring as shit having manipulating people dumb as toddlers with brain damage as his main challenge. :gendo_kimura:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:01 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:The way that Asuka said that "one dumbass is the cause of that" and Midori later thinks that her goal is to hit the one who decided to destroy the world makes me wonder: do they think that Shinji triggered N3I on purpose? That he know what was happening and decided to still go through it because all he cared was Rei? Then 3.0 happens, he comes back and is asking what happened, how is everyone and is happy that they are fine, and everyone is like "fuuuuuck, he actually didn't had any idea of what was happening doesn't it?"

I suspect the "decided" in Midori's phrase could just be an expression from that translation.

I find a video with another translation to the phrase:
Midori: "I want to punch the idiot who messed up the world"

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Bullshit.
Gendo planed for it to happen, literally most of his scenes in the first two movies are about his next moves to have it happen and how he placed all the pieces in the board for fourteen goddamned years for it to happen (up and including brainwashing), that it happened slightly differently to how he planned but still happened because of everything he did absolutely don't absolve him from blame and responsibility.

True. I agree that Gendo has responsibility for the N3I. I wanted to say it will be difficult for other characters to blame Gendo for the N3I, since they didn't know Gendo's plans at that time.

That's why I mentioned SEELE blamed Gendo, because they likely suspect Gendo planned the N3I

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:17 pm

Guys, this DOES take place after the actual 3I.
First of all, the N3I was something that happened in Tokyo-3. It was stopped and didn't appear to spread elsewhere (we see that on-screen). The Doors of Guf dissipated immediately after Eva-01 was speared. The footage shown in this short is nothing like what we saw at the end of HA, it's a completely different event.
Also, Wille was only officially formed after the N3I. They wouldn't be operating before then. Asuka was also down when the N3I happened. How would she be running around in a newly rebuilt Eva-02 then?
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:18 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:True. I agree that Gendo has responsibility for the N3I. I wanted to say it will be difficult for other characters to blame Gendo for the N3I, since they didn't know Gendo's plans at that time.

That's why I mentioned SEELE blamed Gendo, because they likely suspect Gendo planned the N3I

Dude Kaji was the founder and original leader of WILLE and managed to infiltrate Gendo's inner circle, how the hell can the people at WILLE ignore that Gendo planned this?!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:26 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Something else that I noticed that might indicate that this short takes place after Actual Third Impact: if you look at the nose of the plane Mari is piloting, you can see that the "NERV" lettering is barred by two blue bars, the same way that the Wunder's original name was barred in Thrice, so the rebellion must had already happened, and we know from Kohji in Thrice that it happened as Third Impact happened.

Neat! Further regarding that plane, I read comments that the -46h lifter was an NGE / EOE callback, and sure enough:

SPOILER: Show
-46h lifter:

NGE ep 7 lifter:

EOE lifter:

NTE 2.0 lifters:

So, they borrowed an NGE / EOE lifter design for this short rather than using one of the NTE lifter designs.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:... My hot takes below in no particular order:
  • ... the way the the core erosion first spread as a giant wave going a light-speed and then spreads much slower and also around the FoIs as they pop out of the grounds makes me wonder if the initial wave wasn't when Actual Third Impact was happening, then as it was stopped by Kaji's sacrifice, the big wave stopped, but enough of the world had already been turned to core so it continued its spreading, with FoIs randomly popping out of the ground. That would explain why it was going so fast at the opening shot, and then going much slower (it was already several days later, but there are still fain rings in the sky that didn't dissipate yet)....
  • ... The core grid on the Moon is pulsating, I don't remember it being the case in Q and Thrice, also the Moon doesn't have the blood stains or its atmosphere yet ...

Yeah, I now believe that Third Impact is something that happened in phases over time.

Random hot take: I believe we see different kinds of crosses in -46h, and that the differences matter, and I think we see exactly one Unit 01 head in -46h, and that also matters somehow (how, though? Beats me!).

Edit to add reply:

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Guys, this DOES take place after the actual 3I. ... The footage shown in this short is nothing like what we saw at the end of HA, it's a completely different event.

I generally agree, but on a specific note the rings around the gates look very similar to me:

-46h rings:

2.0 rings:
Last edited by nerv bae on Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:35 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Guys, this DOES take place after the actual 3I.
First of all, the N3I was something that happened in Tokyo-3. It was stopped and didn't appear to spread elsewhere (we see that on-screen). The Doors of Guf dissipated immediately after Eva-01 was speared. The footage shown in this short is nothing like what we saw at the end of HA, it's a completely different event.
Also, Wille was only officially formed after the N3I. They wouldn't be operating before then. Asuka was also down when the N3I happened. How would she be running around in a newly rebuilt Eva-02 then?

Nobody is saying the corification of the land happened at the end of 2.0. As you mentioned, it's impossible this event could have happenned that night.

However, I suspect the corification of the land could be a late consequence of the N3I. Midori said the N3I killed her parents in 3.0+1.0, but -46h implies her parents died during the corification of the earth.

That said, it's just a theory.

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:I generally agree, but on a specific note the rings around the gates look very similar to me:

-46h rings:

2.0 rings:

True. We don't see Impact rings on Mark-06/Lilith (only the halo):

It's possible the red Impact rings appeared at some point, but we don't see it.
Last edited by Konja7 on Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:09 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:True. We don't see Impact rings on Mark-06/Lilith (only the halo):

It's possible the red Impact rings appeared at some point, but we don't see it.

We see the rings in the sky when Kaji bids his farewell to Misato and Ritsuko, and they are red and white.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:14 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:We see the rings in the sky when Kaji bids his farewell to Misato and Ritsuko, and they are red and white.

You're right. Thanks for the correction.

I had forgotten that part:

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:21 pm

Also, didn't Sakura/Toji say they lost their parents in N3I (as per the shooting Shinji/Misato scene) because I'm really not remembering anything for Midori beyond 3I generally?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:28 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Nobody is saying the corification of the land happened at the end of 2.0. As you mentioned, it's impossible this event could have happenned that night.

However, I suspect the corification of the land could be a late consequence of the N3I. Midori said the N3I killed her parents in 3.0+1.0, but -46h implies her parents died during the corification of the earth.

That said, it's just a theory.

At this point I'm more and more convinced that when Kaworu explained to Shinji his bit about "Unit 01 awoke, triggered Third Impact, the Lilin call this Near Third Impact", he meant that the people put both events (N3I and A3I) under the same umbrella of "Near Third Impact" (because Kaji stopped it) and conflated the events and responsibilities, that's the only way this thing makes sense.

Or personal mega-hot take (take with a salt mine): Anno and Co changed their mind at some point about Shinji's responsibility but wrote themselves in a corner because as things are shown in 2.0 and its stinger, it's physically impossible for Shinji to be the culprit behind the end of the world, so they put the events in that mystery box where everyone keep insisting that this is totally completely Shinji's fault, but never showing the events in question.

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:Also, didn't Sakura/Toji say they lost their parents in N3I (as per the shooting Shinji/Misato scene) because I'm really not remembering anything for Midori beyond 3I generally?

Sakura mentions that her father died during N3I because of Shinji. Midori said in a previous scene that all of her family also died back then.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:37 pm

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:Also, didn't Sakura/Toji say they lost their parents in N3I (as per the shooting Shinji/Misato scene) because I'm really not remembering anything for Midori beyond 3I generally?

Midori mentioned the Near Third Impact killed her whole family in a talk with other members of WILLE crew in 3.0+1.0:

Midori: That "child" caused the Near Third Impact that wiped out my whole family.

Sakura mentioned her father dying in the shooting scene:

Sakura: But my father, and so many other, were lost to N3I!

PS: I will assume Sakura is also speaking about the corification of the land (like Midori).

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:55 pm

Well considering that it doesn't quite make sense, I'd be inclined to think that it's a continuity error or a quirk of the Japanese script where they're saying N3I specifically but it's stated in a "He started N3I, the consequences of which killed my family" kind of way. In fact, Reichu's older translation uses "and" rather than "that", the latter of which ties the concepts together into one thought rather than them being seperate.

Amazon: That "child" caused the Near Third Impact that wiped out my whole family.
Reichu: That kid caused N3I and killed my entire family!

I remain inclined to believe that Shinji absolutely killed a lot of Tokyo-3 in the initial explosion, and that while coreification started it was not only stopped but is visually undone once the Spear hits, and any talk of watching people vanish can only be 3I related.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:01 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:At this point I'm more and more convinced that when Kaworu explained to Shinji his bit about "Unit 01 awoke, triggered Third Impact, the Lilin call this Near Third Impact", he meant that the people put both events (N3I and A3I) under the same umbrella of "Near Third Impact" (because Kaji stopped it) and conflated the events and responsibilities, that's the only way this thing makes sense.

I think it's pretty likely Lilins put both events under the same umbrella of "Near Third Impact".

That said, I assume there is a connection between N3I and the Third Impact, since the Failures of Infinity are copies of Eva-01. If Eva-01 doesn't have a role, this wouldn't make sense.

Kaworu's words imply that Eva-01 fulfilled his role as a trigger at the end of 2.0:

Kaworu: Once awakened, Eva Unit 01 opened the Gates of Guf and acted as trigger to bring about the Third Impact. The Lilin call it the Near Third Impact. You were the key to it all.

Kaworu says Eva-01 opening the Gates of Guf was the trigger for the Third Impact, but a trigger doesn't mean the only element.

I mean "Kaworu becoming the 13th Angel" was the trigger for the Fourth Impact in 3.0 (was this still the trigger for the Fourth Impact in 3.0+1.0?), but he isn't the only element.
Last edited by Konja7 on Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:14 pm

Maybe the N3I was like a prerequisite for the actual 3I. I remember that in the end of Ha, while the Doors of Guf are being opened, for a few seconds the movie show us Lilith for some reason, and we know that Lilith was part of the actual Impact.

Even if it was stopped/halted, the N3I contributed for the actual 3I. That "contribution" may explain why the FOI look like Unit-01. From the perspective of humanity, both events are a single one with a long pause in the middle

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:24 pm

It is possible that N3I created a strong enough L field to tang a few people in and around Tokyo-3, even if land core-ification din't actually take place until Actual Thirs Impact happened.

Also, we don't know for sure if Sakura's family was tanged

(only Midori's)

, right? It is possible they were killed in the big-ass cross-shaped explosion that exposed the geo front and must necessarily have f'ed up the town above it real good, immediately after the Rei-shaped FoL is absorbed into Eva-01 and a second set of rings appears in the sky outside.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:43 pm

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:Well considering that it doesn't quite make sense, I'd be inclined to think that it's a continuity error or a quirk of the Japanese script where they're saying N3I specifically but it's stated in a "He started N3I, the consequences of which killed my family" kind of way. In fact, Reichu's older translation uses "and" rather than "that", the latter of which ties the concepts together into one thought rather than them being seperate.

I don't think it's a quirk of the Japanese script, since Japanese people also understand that the N3I killed Midori's family.

Honestly, I suspect Lilins use N3I to cover both events (the N3I and the Third Impact). That would explain why human characters as Touji and Kensuke speak about the N3I as the worse thing it happened.

View Original PostDantesInferno wrote:It is possible that N3I created a strong enough L field to tang a few people in and around Tokyo-3, even if land core-ification din't actually take place until Actual Thirs Impact happened.

I guess it's possible, but Midori experience of losing her family seems to be recent when we see her escaping from the "purification" of the land.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:57 pm

crack

siippppppp

yepppp no one has a fucking clue what happened and it's still awesome

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:19 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I guess it's possible, but Midori experience of losing her family seems to be recent when we see her escaping from the "purification" of the land.

It's possible that she's been on the run since N3I, so by the time A3I happens, she's made it far enough that the core-ification does not advance at break-neck speed.

But yeah, I guess the mainstream theory right now would be that they were tanged during A3I (not N3I), and she later learns that it all goes back to Shinji triggering N3I and setting in motion the "chain of events".

That is, the Wille members blame Shinji for directly triggering N3I specifically (not A3I), hence the language they use, but by extension they tacitly blame him for A3I, since they also know that A3I was an unavoidable consequence of N3I.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”