-46h (GENERAL)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Re: -46h (GENERAL) [SPOILER]

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:47 am

I'm also in the camp that doesn't really want or need the timeskip filled. If anything it seems like it would damage the disorientation that 3.0 is built around.

It sounds like people were expecting something like Lost's "New Man in Charge" short which was released with the DVD set of that show's final season. It was also around 10 minutes in length, and was like mostly a terrible exposition dump explaining answers to mysteries that were either already kind of implied by the series itself (I.e. polar bears in cages) or were totally irrelevant to the larger drama/themes of that particular show. I really don't think Rebuild needs something like that.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:15 am

I don't think nobody is expecting the 14 years gap to be filled. However, I think people were expecting some answers about the N3I and the Third Impact.

I mean, in this thread, we had a discussion about Shinji's responsibility in the state of the World. So, I wouldn't say it's irrelevant for the drama in the movies.

Also, I don't really understand this fear that 3.0's disorientation will be damaged. No matter how much they explain, the disorientation people felt for 3.0 in its release won't change.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:21 am

10 minutes? That's really cool, actually. I was expecting something shorter.
I always pictured it as a -120min/beginning of Q kind of thing. I just hope they don't keep milking NTE for the next decade, as a new spin-off continuity, for example, would be really fun.

hui43210 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but in 3.0+1.0, Tsurumaki and Maeda were credited as directors and Anno was the General director. So the General director would essentially be the one who makes the final decisions if you will.

I think Anno was in charge of the big picture, while Tsurumaki and Maeda worked on the finer details. We know for sure that Asuka, for example, was in Tsurumaki's hands.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:42 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I mean, in this thread, we had a discussion about Shinji's responsibility in the state of the World. So, I wouldn't say it's irrelevant for the drama in the movies.

I think those discussions are better than getting some answer. To what point is it Shinji's fault, are Wille being unfair or not, etc. Also despite not knowing details Shinji found peace.

Also, I don't really understand this fear that 3.0's disorientation will be damaged. No matter how much they explain, the disorientation people felt for 3.0 in its release won't change.

I think a lot of first time viewers would (and will) inevitably watch this short before 3.0.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:55 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I think those discussions are better than getting some answer. To what point is it Shinji's fault, are Wille being unfair or not, etc. Also despite not knowing details Shinji found peace.

3.0 and 3.0+1.0 clearly work with the idea that Wille being mad to Shinji is fair. I've understood this short wouldn't go against that idea either.

However, it would be good to have a answer about Shinji's role in the current situation.

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I think a lot of first time viewers would (and will) inevitably watch this short before 3.0.

Yeah. It's pretty unlikely first time viewers wouldn't know aspects about 3.0 (like the 14 years timeskip), since the movie has more than ten years.

That's why I don't understand the fear that 3.0's disorientation is lost. At this point, it's unlikely new audience will have the same feeling of disorientation.

PS: I also feel 3.0 is a pretty good movie even without the feeling of disorientation.
Last edited by Konja7 on Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:58 am

The best time for this new content was in the 9 years between Q and Shin. We were starved for content back then and it would have kept the momentum going somewhat. As a hardcore Shin lover, I certainly would have appreciated having the context for Midori's backstory (as well as a representation of an ordinary person during third impact) before her big scene in Shin.

To add to the current discussion, it seems like there's enough material for an OVA for sure (and I have no doubt we'll get it) but it's not something I need. Eva has always been very careful about the information it gives us and it thrives in the ambiguity. Having said that, i'll eat up anything they give me!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:19 pm

Complete list of all special features

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:18 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Complete list of all special features

I wonder what Kinro and ANN are.

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
kuribo-04 wrote:I think a lot of first time viewers would (and will) inevitably watch this short before 3.0.

Yeah. It's pretty unlikely first time viewers wouldn't know aspects about 3.0 (like the 14 years timeskip), since the movie has more than ten years.

That's why I don't understand the fear that 3.0's disorientation is lost. At this point, it's unlikely new audience will have the same feeling of disorientation.

PS: I also feel 3.0 is a pretty good movie even without the feeling of disorientation.

Yeah at this point it's kinda unavoidable that most people will know about the 14 year timeskip going into 3.0, but to be fair the same argument could be said about so many other aspects of Evangelion that were originally meant to be twists/surprises but no longer are because of cultural osmosis. That feeling of learning this detail organically was always ephemeral and would only really be experienced by the people who saw the film when it first came out (or were made to watch it blind/in quick succession with 1.0 and 2.0 like I made my friend do in preparation for watching Shin in theaters), and I think ultimately that's fine.
I do agree that that feeling of "wtf is going on" is an important part of the experience of watching 3.0 for the first time, but like Konja said, 3.0 is a good movie that can stand on its own, and saying it's so reliant on the 14 year twist and sense of disorientation that taking them away ruins the experience I think is a disservice to 3.0. Plus, there are plenty of other things that aren't immediately explained by the timeskip that are revealed later on (Shinji being the cause of Near 3rd Impact, why WILLE doesn't trust him, Rei Q not being Rei II, etc) and I think those are much more crucial elements of the film. (Also the 14 year reveal happens so early on in the film that I don't really think it qualifies as a spoiler)

And honestly, I actually don't think most people will watch -46h before they watch 3.0. I think the vast majority of people will see that the movies are labeled 1(.11), 2(.22), 3.(33(3)), and 3.0+1.11 and logically think "oh that's the order you're supposed to watch them in" (Shin might trip them up a little, but I'm sure most people will recognize that 3+1=4). Yeah there's bound to be people who try to recommend that people watch -46h first, and there's inevitably going to be people who listen to them, but I think ultimately that'll be the minority of people who end up watching this series. When it comes down to it, you can't really control how other people will engage with media beyond telling them how you think it should be engaged with, so there's really no use in losing sleep over it.

I understand wanting other people to experience Eva the way you did because you want to share and relate your experience with others, but sometimes you just gotta remember that everyone else is going to have a uniquely different experience with it than you did and that's fine. If anything those differences give you more to discuss with them/makes the discussion with them more interesting (admittedly it can alternatively make them more annoying to discuss things with, but eh. Gotta take the good with the bad).
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:53 pm

Personally I wouldn't be against Khara exploring the timeskip more: while learning more about the circumstances around Actual Third Impact would be great to (maybe) finally settle the matter of his guilt, as several people have noted, Shinji's story is over (whether one likes how it ended is irrelevant) so exploring this period of the story wouldn't bring much in it, but it would still be a good opportunity to expand on the rest of the cast.

Sure, most of them had very reduced role in the Rebuild movies which stayed Shinji-centric all along, but that's an opportunity to explore them (which was Anno original plan for 3.0 after all), as their implied and alluded backstories are also full of potential for interesting stories in their own right: Kaji and Kaworu's friendship, Misato and Kaji's tragic love and the former having to grip with fitting in the role of protector and de facto leader of what's left of humanity, Asuka grappling with her mutant body and feeling of isolation from the rest of the Lilin, the beginning of her and Mari's friendship, Kensuke's implied time at WILLE and how his parental relationship with Asuka came to be, the Wunder crew in general, Gendo and Fuyutsuki's equilibrist performance in (apparently) fighting WILLE while making the preparation for their own plans right under SEELE and Kaworu's nose, Toji being implied to had been anime Joel Miller and how he managed to find peace afterwards, getting to know more about Kaji Jr... there are many possibilities for interesting stories that aren't directly tied to Shinji's story. I would even say that Shinji has the least interesting story of the cast so that would be even better...
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:54 pm

After watching it, I gotta say... The short is pretty good. It's not groundbreaking by any means, but it's very well made. I think it tells a simple but enjoyable story. It recontextualized Midori's character for me personally.
Also, I loved the callbacks to episode 7. It's one of my favorites and I don't think it gets the love it deserves these days.
The EOE references weren't distracting this time, by the way. They were pretty good.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

MrNobody39
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MrNobody39 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:56 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:After watching it, I gotta say... The short is pretty good. It's not groundbreaking by any means, but it's very well made. I think it tells a simple but enjoyable story. It recontextualized Midori's character for me personally.
Also, I loved the callbacks to episode 7. It's one of my favorites and I don't think it gets the love it deserves these days.
The EOE references weren't distracting this time, by the way. They were pretty good.

Where can we watch it??

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:59 pm

View Original PostMrNobody39 wrote:Where can we watch it??

BernardoCairo ordered a copy of the blu-ray, we'll have to wait to have versions available through... "other means".
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:02 pm

I'm seeing a screen grab on an /a/ thread of Mari chilling with big headphones and cool as all hell aviator shades. Is this in -46h or some photoshop meme thing I haven't heard about?
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:21 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:I'm seeing a screen grab on an /a/ thread of Mari chilling with big headphones and cool as all hell aviator shades. Is this in -46h or some photoshop meme thing I haven't heard about?

I've seen it too, the text under the comm image says "From: EGA Main Pilot Cockpit", which might mean that she's actually piloting something. (maybe a VTOL?)

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:38 pm

Yep, that's from the short. And she's piloting something, but it's not an EVA. She's piloting that aircraft from episode 7 (the one which takes Unit 01 to battle ground). You may also remember it from EOE (is similar to the aircrafts that brought the EVA Series to GeoFront, but blue).

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:48 pm

Okay, 10 minutes looking at the 4chan thread on the Thrice blu-ray made me remember why I avoid this site like the fucking plague, I'm going to bed and wait tomorrow if there are news.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:07 pm

Yeah, it's not a fun read. Though I appreciate that some a/nons have embracing Mari as a troll to Eva fans and appreciate her badassery.

You heard it here first: Mari's aviators are the new Kamina shades.

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:She's piloting that aircraft from episode 7

:w00t:

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:33 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I'm going to bed and wait tomorrow if there are news.

Not sleeping until I see it :asuka_stare:

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:34 pm

Aaaaah, he finally posted after me. Avatar cohesion achieved :lol:

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:40 pm

Jayfive wrote:Aaaaah, he finally posted after me. Avatar cohesion achieved :lol:

:highfive:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”