Shin Eva - Official Blu-ray Release 2022!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
MsenjaKagami
Lilith

Re: Shin Eva - Official Blu-ray Release 2022!

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:54 am

Idk if "interesting" is the right word, but according to this the booklet contains a deleted scene/unused footage of the Spear of Gaius sequence where it also pierces and destroys the script which I think is at least pretty amusing.

Also it clarifies/confirms that the Unit 01 vs Unit 13 fight is supposed to look jank because it's emulating old-school tokusatsu (which I though we already agreed on that but I guess enough people were still confused/thought it looked bad unintentionally)
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:57 am

As in the spear literally goes through a giant paper script? If so, that's hilarious.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:32 am

View Original PostJayfive wrote:As in the spear literally goes through a giant paper script? If so, that's hilarious.

Yeah I love it lol. But maybe they thought it'd be repetitive since we also have every Eva unit being destroyed.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FriendlyTechpriest
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby FriendlyTechpriest » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:29 pm

So for those fortunate enough to have the Bluray, what are the changes? Did they add more transition scenes and the like or is it simply a visual upgrade?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:49 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:As in the spear literally goes through a giant paper script? If so, that's hilarious.

That was in case the final scenes happening in the IRL studio Khara and Anno's hometown in live footage wasn't meta enough? :guffaw:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:44 pm

Seems the BD made a considerable impact, with 10 million tweets, which I'm pretty sure is pretty good by Japanese standards.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:29 pm

View Original PostFriendlyTechpriest wrote:So for those fortunate enough to have the Bluray, what are the changes? Did they add more transition scenes and the like or is it simply a visual upgrade?

I'm not noticing any differences between the Amazon Prime version and the UHD/BD discs outside of, just the inherent qualities that come with those physical mediums over streaming. I think most of the "changes" Khara would have made were already made during the Covid lockdown after they had to delay their initial release date.

I think the one thing that was changed after it's Japanese theatrical release was the amount of damages on the satellites of the AAA Wunder in Misato's flashback scene about Kaji, but they got to that before the Amazon Prime release.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:40 pm

View Original PostMsenjaKagami wrote:Idk if "interesting" is the right word, but according to this the booklet contains a deleted scene/unused footage of the Spear of Gaius sequence where it also pierces and destroys the script which I think is at least pretty amusing.

It makes sense, after that point of the movie the script flew out of the window anyway.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:17 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:
View Original PostFriendlyTechpriest#939466 wrote:So for those fortunate enough to have the Bluray, what are the changes? Did they add more transition scenes and the like or is it simply a visual upgrade?

I'm not noticing any differences between the Amazon Prime version and the UHD/BD discs outside of, just the inherent qualities that come with those physical mediums over streaming.

Can't wait to look out for changes too.
Some of these are very subtle and unexpected sometimes. Like 3.333 removing clouds. Or 3.0+1.01 adding gainax bouncing to Mari in the Paris scene. Really lol.

So uh this clip has me worried. Does anyone know if this is from the BD? Cause it has the green tint of doom:
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:36 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:So uh this clip has me worried. Does anyone know if this is from the BD? Cause it has the green tint of doom:

Green tint of doom?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:39 pm

There's a green tint over the image, it looks very different from the Prime release.

This reminds me of Toei always having a green tint over home releases of Dragon Ball films. It's infamous in that fandom. So I hope this is not how the BD looks lol.

Example:
https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/16 ... gGJ2A&s=19

@Freaky: Could you confirm/deny the green issue?
I pray to the gods they color corrected correctly (redundancy lol). It's what I'd expect from khara!

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:57 pm

SPOILER: Show

Might not be particularly significant compared to any visual changes in the blu-ray (and maybe even less significant if you're not fluent in Japanese), but this guy found a change in kanji in the subtitles between the Amazon Prime version and the Blu-ray.

Amazon Prime: 残す = nokosu = to leave (behind)
Blu-ray: 遺す = nokosu = to leave (to someone, esp. after one's death)

https://jisho.org/search/%E9%81%BA%E3%8 ... 7%E3%81%A6
Basically mean the same thing and might as well be the same word, but the new one does have a slightly different connotation

Better explanation.

No idea how many of these there are, and chances are they probably don't drastically change anything (although according to some of these tweets the change is big enough for it to be notable), but I figured it might be worth pointing out for anyone who looks at details that closely.
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:00 pm

View Original PostMsenjaKagami wrote: I figured it might be worth pointing out for anyone who looks at details that closely.

Uhhh, yes please :asuka_thumbsup:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:12 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:@Freaky: Could you confirm/deny the green issue?
I pray to the gods they color corrected correctly (redundancy lol). It's what I'd expect from khara!

The "green issue" is a result of a movie being white balanced to the brighter projector technology, but not being white balanced for the dimmer TV technologies. All movies need to be white balanced to the proper display device in order to make sure the colors don't look bad on either display technology.

Anywho, seeing as how Toei are the main culprits in forgetting to white balance their movies for TVs, and how they were involved in at least the production of Shin Eva, I can see legitimate reason for the concern.

However, look at the white colors of the plug suit in the following images.

Blu-ray 2K Master

Twitter Compression

Amazon Prime Compression

In this case it looks like it's just bad compression on the side of Twitter. It's off-white in the Twitter video, for sure, but I don't think it's as bad as the Dragon Ball Z movie examples.

It also looks like Toei were not involved in the home video distribution of Shin Eva.

(Also, it looks like the Amazon Prime compression just can't give us a lot of details in the darker areas of the image, giving us a harsher contrast all around.)

The Blu-ray looks peak kino.

Hope this helps!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:24 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Or 3.0+1.01 adding gainax bouncing to Mari in the Paris scene. Really lol.
Back when we got the early release of the Avant, I remember remarking about the severe downgrade in the bounce animation compared with Gunbuster. It's good to hear that there has been an effort made to repair their reputation.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:51 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:

Hope this helps!

I'm so relieved.
Thanks!

Looks so good, can't wait for it to arrive.

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:11 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:
View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever#939504 wrote:

Hope this helps!

I'm so relieved.
Thanks!

Looks so good, can't wait for it to arrive.

Almost shat my pants ngl

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:34 pm

You should see the UHD version. The colors are even cleaner in that one. I’m not sure if a screenshot would really show the full quality on everyone’s computer screens or phone screens, but it looks vastly better than even how the Blu-ray version looks.

Zeruel48
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruel48 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:06 pm

Aside from having better colors the UHD seems to have a lot more actual detail beyond the upscaling
https://slow.pics/c/sUwA5QQW

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:49 am

Perhaps this should go in the - 120min thread, but the song Mari sings at the end of the motion comic has been identified as "Bride" by Norihiko Hashida.

花嫁は 夜汽車にのって
嫁いでゆくの
あの人の写真を胸に
海辺の街へ
命かけて燃えた
恋が 結ばれる
帰れない 何があっても
心に誓うの

小さなカバンにつめた
花嫁衣装は
ふるさとの丘に咲いてた
野菊の花束
命かけて燃えた
恋が 結ばれる
何もかも 捨てた花嫁
夜汽車にのって
夜汽車にのって...

DeepL'd wrote:The bride will be married on the night train.
She's getting married on a night train
With her picture in her heart
To the town by the sea
Burned for life
Love is coming true
I can't go back, no matter what
I promise in my heart

I've packed a little bag
My bridal gown
Blooming on a hill in my hometown
A bouquet of wild chrysanthemums
Burned for life