Shin Eva-Official Social Media: 3.33 You Can (Not) Be Localized

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
2Lacissal2
Embryo

Re: Shin Eva-Official Social Media: 3.33 You Can (Not) Be Localized

•      
  •      

Postby 2Lacissal2 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:03 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:I remember Szmitten had also mentioned Tsurumaki's IP were "taken from him" and he was currently only linked to Eva, I guess the IPs didn't transfer to Khara but I never looked into that.

There was an interview with Anno I read a couple of years ago about how he’d tried to buy the remaining IPs from Gainax so others could work on them but the current management had refused and just sold the rights elsewhere. As Tsurumaki directed FLCL and Diebuster and is listed as being behind the original concept for both, in the interview Anno understandably sounded pretty upset about it.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:32 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:I think it's particularly interesting how Anno more specifically says Mari, who is more or less the symbol of the Rebuilds, was mostly handled by Tsurumaki. (check the sources).

Slight tangent, but I find it interesting how the creative team take Mari as the symbol of the Rebuild, yet from what I've seen in the web, I've got the feeling that for many people the image that pops out when one think about Rebuild of Evangelion is Asuka with the eyepatch. (and since Thrice accompanied by long haired Rei)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

AsukaisLiterallyMe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaisLiterallyMe » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:36 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
View Original PostFelipeFritschF#939966 wrote:I think it's particularly interesting how Anno more specifically says Mari, who is more or less the symbol of the Rebuilds, was mostly handled by Tsurumaki. (check the sources).

Slight tangent, but I find it interesting how the creative team take Mari as the symbol of the Rebuild, yet from what I've seen in the web, I've got the feeling that for many people the image that pops out when one think about Rebuild of Evangelion is Asuka with the eyepatch. (and since Thrice accompanied by long haired Rei)

I agree with Anno on that but not in the way he thinks.

Mari was obnoxious and a character I was mixed on, just like the rebuilds.

*Galaxy Dab*

But yeah, Shikinami Asuka, in my very biased point of view, was always the symbol for the rebuilds. Way back when, before I ever paid attention to EVA, she always leapt out to me; she was the one that stood out the most and seemed to be more frequently.

Which is not that surprising: Rei and Shinji are not...interesting in a lot of ways, so it was always going to be a competition of Asuka and Mari on who would be the icon of the series.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:11 am

Yet another Anima influence: famous EEE art was inspired by Anima art, says Yamashita.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:26 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Yet another Anima influence: famous EEE art was inspired by Anima art, says Yamashita.

Not exactly, IIRC this drawing from Yamashita was an idea from him that Misato's old sport car would be present in Village 3 and serve as a giant battery (since her car is electrical), the idea was that Misato gave her car to the Village, but the concept never made it to the final product.

And in this tweet, he's referencing Iseki's art in the Thrice booklet where he use that concept (it's the art of Kensuke, Kaji Jr and Asuka around Misato's old car), which depending on how you take it might "canonize" the fact that Misato's old car is indeed in the Village.
Which could give ideas to fanfic writers that Kaji Jr will inherit the car when he'll turn adult.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:40 am

This is more like merch but I'm not gonna make a thread just for it.

They're having a... detective ARG (?) with a Smug Karl heading it. Or something.

https://www.eva-info.jp/19180

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:59 am

It's an escape room thing
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:10 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:This is more like merch but I'm not gonna make a thread just for it.

They're having a... detective ARG (?) with a Smug Karl heading it. Or something.

It seems to be similar a scape room game.

The player will have the role of a rookie detective who has a mission entrusted by Kaji. Also, Kaworu is a mysterious host (called the legendary host) involved in the mission

PS: Who is a Smug Karl?

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:00 am

Seems there's another Eva cover article coming on Newtype.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:04 pm

It's funny because Kaworu is depicted in that poster as a "host" (ホスト), i.e. a male staff at a high-end bar for ladies that are popular in Japan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_and_ ... Host_clubs).

The bigger host clubs frequently advertise using large trucks with big signs on each side (check the pictures in this blog post: http://wrpgu.livedoor.blog/archives/5618649.html), runnig around teh city centers like Shibuya crossing, much in the same vein as that poster like the hostess clubs.

Hostess clubs, pop artists, and even pink-adjascent part-time jobs too (typically advertised as "high income" or 高収入) also use the same advertisement tactics.

And the poster of Kaworu seen here even includes the "No. 1" phrase, which is a common expression used to highlight the host that is most popular with the customers and thus brings in the most revenue to the club. This is of course also a play on Kaworu (which already has strong "host" vibes in his visual appearance) being the first angel.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:03 pm

Look, Shinji and Kaji told him that he should find his joy and happiness somewhere else than serving Shinji. That might not be what they had in mind but hey, they ain't going to judge. :smirk:

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:53 am

They released the Newtype issue with the new Q&As on Shin:

The Twitter official Eva account has shared a few:

SPOILER: Show

Something I should mention is that one of the questions asks when they decided to work on on the OVAs. -46h was planned a long time ago and -120m was ordered on July 12, 2022 after an email from Anno.

What isn't mentioned is that this fits right in for when a fan artist got a C&D letter from Khara telling him to stop his own animation project for - 120min. Add this to other precedents like a guy attempting to translate Anima and getting a similar warning (in this case he contacted Yamashita himself), before the official translation was announced, and we have more proof of Khara continuing the Gainax tradition of keeping an eye on what the fans are doing.

EDIT: The Newtype issue also includes at least one new illustration and a full interview with Miyamura.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:09 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:What isn't mentioned is that this fits right in for when a fan artist got a C&D letter from Khara telling him to stop his own animation project for - 120min. Add this to other precedents like a guy attempting to translate Anima and getting a similar warning (in this case he contacted Yamashita himself), before the official translation was announced, and we have more proof of Khara continuing the Gainax tradition of keeping an eye on what the fans are doing.

Retrospectively, both cases are understandable, as the animation project for 120-min would had overstep on Kahara's dubbed version of it in the BR, and Anima had an official english version released.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:27 am

There are other Q&As and at least one more interview in the issue. I'll post the scans later.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:19 pm

not all heroes wear capes.
looking forward to the juicy juicy material
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:27 pm

The guy posting those translations, Laurence Mallen, has also posted that he's going through some dark personal stuff. I think it'd be nice to show him some appreciation (as well as personal concern) if you can.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:34 am

Interesting little tidbits here and there.

So -120min was created by Anno's request, I'm curious to know what was his motivation behind that?

Also apparently there's more than we thought about the sounds the Wunder makes, I wonder if they meant that there's some meaningful more behind it, or if it's just a trivia like "part of the sound was Yui's VA breathing" or something like that.

The bit with Sakura and Midori's hobby was nice, it's interesting that initially their room was supposed to be divided with plants on Sakura's side and origami and sticky notes on Midori's (that reminds me of the early draft of Mari and Asuka's room that was also divided with a truckload of books on Mari's side and a single chair on Asuka's), I wonder if their explanation that "it started with Sakura, and now both do it" means that the creators gave them both the same hobby to make the room easier to draw and that initially only Sakura was supposed to have it, or if it's a bit of in-universe more: that at first only Sakura did it, and then she drove Midori into it and now both do it.
In any case, it's a nice subtle showcase of how both are friends.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:04 pm

-46h has done pretty well, and it's now been shown in screenings for Shin Kamen Riden. This is a puzzling move and I've seen several accounts criticizing it as rather shameless. However, it's also an interesting indicator that maybe Khara will have to come back to making more Eva proper sooner rather than later.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:33 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:-46h has done pretty well, and it's now been shown in screenings for Shin Kamen Riden. This is a puzzling move and I've seen several accounts criticizing it as rather shameless. However, it's also an interesting indicator that maybe Khara will have to come back to making more Eva proper sooner rather than later.

It seems Shin Kamen Rider did not go as well as expected. I guess the "shameless" criticism is because they are using Evangelion merchandise to promote the movie:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:39 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:It seems Shin Kamen Rider did not go as well as expected. I guess the "shameless" criticism is because they are using Evangelion merchandise to promote the movie:

SPOILER: Show

I was wondering why would showing -46h in screening be considered as "shameless", since anyone who want to see it but not pay the hefty cost of a Japanese Blu-Ray already found alternative ways to do it, but giving exclusive Eva merch to push people to go see Shin Kamen Rider can be more understandable as a criticism.

While I'm here, during the cleaning of my hard drive I stumbled into an old link to what looks like a concept art of the Mark.04 drones that attack Asuka in space in 3.0, and the design is... err, something, since instead of the prong-like "legs" it sports to pierce an AT-Field, it had actual Eva legs:

Does someone here have some source to confirm that this is genuine? I mean, on one hand, it does fit with the "mashed-up Evas" look of the enemies in Thrice, but on the other, there's no way in hell that I would had been able to take the opening scene of 3.0 seriously had Asuka been attacked by that!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”