Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Re: Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:46 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Preview for the Shin Eva making-of documentary that will air tomorrow. Here's hoping someone is already planning to record and sub it (AnnoCinema is planning for the latter as far as I know, he just need the video).

At first I was surprised that the making of was available that fast, then I remembered that Shin was supposed to had been released last summer, so of course the making of is already ready! :tongue:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:17 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:
View Original PostGhostlyOcam#916641 wrote:"It took me to distant places at the very end."

I take this to also mean "anal devastation"

Oh god, I don't think this joke will ever get old xD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:17 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Preview for the Shin Eva making-of documentary that will air tomorrow. Here's hoping someone is already planning to record and sub it (AnnoCinema is planning for the latter as far as I know, he just need the video).

I really want to see this.
Hopefully someone will edit out any potential spoiler parts somewhere..
Also sprach Zarathustra

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:32 pm

View Original Postxenosaga wrote:
View Original PostGhostlyOcam#916907 wrote:Preview for the Shin Eva making-of documentary that will air tomorrow. Here's hoping someone is already planning to record and sub it (AnnoCinema is planning for the latter as far as I know, he just need the video).

I really want to see this.
Hopefully someone will edit out any potential spoiler parts somewhere..

I think the best will be to wait to see the movie before going into the making of, since by essence it'll be like 90% of spoilers! :tongue:
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:00 am

I hope it might EXPLAIN some things but probably 90% will be random nerd details, audience reaction discussion and technical stuff and then the remaining 10% will be so vague that we'll be discussing for years about what they mean
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:16 am

Random nerd details are far more interesting than explainations to be honest.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:10 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:I hope it might EXPLAIN some things but probably 90% will be random nerd details, audience reaction discussion and technical stuff and then the remaining 10% will be so vague that we'll be discussing for years about what they mean

Makings of are all about technical details and the creative process, what you'll probably have is things like "for this lens flare effect we used a real light that we filmed then integrated the image in said scene to give it a more cinematic feel", "we got inspired by the camera works of modern action movies and especially <insert movie name here> and tried to reproduce it by filming models/motion captured actors to have a feel on how to do that in our action scenes", or (I don't know the movie so this example is directly pulled out of my ass) "Shin's theme is 'hope' so we used the white color and more luminous environments to make it contrast with Q's feeling of oppression reflected by its predominantly dark and red-lighted environments".

You won't have explanations on plot points such as "when <character name> said <thing they said> in that scene, that's what they meant".
Last edited by ElMariachi on Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:56 am

I'm sure it's being talked about in the Spoiler Forum but how was the Anno Doc? If it's fully about the creative process and isn't loaded with spoiler-filled clips of the movie I'd totally watch that when available/subtitled online. If it spoilery I'll probably wait until I see the film.... whenever that is.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:57 am

Most of the production materials were blurred out, but what they talk about could be spoilery enough. Some of it is just Anno wandering about his home town, though.

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:03 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Most of the production materials were blurred out, but what they talk about could be spoilery enough. Some of it is just Anno wandering about his home town, though.

This image here is peak Anno. :D

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:44 am

Hmmm..... sounds like I'll wait until after seeing the film. Just in case!
But it's exciting to have a glimpse behind the scenes!

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:04 pm

Only thing I've seen from the documentary is that short clip Eva Monkey posted on Twitter of Anno saying "I have no idea" in English.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:57 pm

I have only watched little bit of the documentary.. and it does seem to have quite interesting things about Anno and the development of 3.0+1.0...
It does seem like this was made quite different than traditional anime in some ways.
Also sprach Zarathustra

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:14 am

A behind-the-scene look of the London Studio Orchestra performing "theme du concerto 494" (Disc 2, Track 6). Sagisu mentioned this is a "test run" and he's amazed how good the ensemble's performance was despite being the first time they played the song.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:59 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:So, I have caved.
I saw a detail somewhere that i just couldn't ignore/ couldn't help but want closure on, and before i knew it i had read all the stuff.

View Original PostSaint Eva wrote:^ Same thing happened to me. I only wanted to know Misato's fate and was only going to read about her role and ignore the rest, but read some details which I couldn't ignore, which led to me read little more details, in turn led to me read more stuff and by the time I was finished I knew about majority of stuff that happens in the movie.

*wildly points at signature*

Seriously, just shoot me a message and I'll give you what you need without ruining the experience for you guys. No one should be spoiled if they don't want to be, but you don't have to have "that one question" gnawing at you for an ill-defined period of time if you can't handle the pressure.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:03 am

After some processing time & actually reading the script in detail I will say that it is near-perfect in a way that ticked my boxes & surpassed my expectations if only it weren't for one or two scenes/plot details that I wish I could just yeet straight out of it.

I'm hoping for the staff interviews & the full visuals to clarify, explain away or at least explain those pesky yeetworthy elements.

I mean with EoE and the manga ending, actually seeing them led me to way different conclusions that what the masses made of them (Remember the "everyone but Shinji and Asuka is permadead" take?) so this might happen again.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:15 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:After some processing time & actually reading the script in detail I will say that it is near-perfect in a way that ticked my boxes & surpassed my expectations if only it weren't for one or two scenes/plot details that I wish I could just yeet straight out of it.

I'm hoping for the staff interviews & the full visuals to clarify, explain away or at least explain those pesky yeetworthy elements.

I mean with EoE and the manga ending, actually seeing them led me to way different conclusions that what the masses made of them (Remember the "everyone but Shinji and Asuka is permadead" take?) so this might happen again.

Seeing how you were torturing yourself in wondering how things could get better in Shin after what happened in Q (and the timeskip), your feedback is encouraging in that it seems that Anno pulled it off again and made another masterpiece. :D

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:08 pm

Collected.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:42 pm

^
If upvotes existed I'd give you one
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Kendrix