Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:40 pm

1. Awesome!
2. Almost forgot to watch the trailer today.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:48 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:
1. Awesome!
2. Almost forgot to watch the trailer today.
What a bomb that was ... Lol I very much hope these images are in the movie ... Please Anno not the bad joke of the previews again ...

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:51 pm

im glad they brough utada hikaru back for the theme song. i wonder who is tying Asuka school lace....its too dark skinned to be hikari.
ANATA BAKA !?

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:58 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote: i wonder who is tying Asuka school lace....
The girl has pale skin so in theory it should be Rei and not Asuka ... Maybe the hands are of Shinji ... Some sort of flashback of an absent scene in 1.0 and 2.0?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:01 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Can we talk about the chef kiss editing in the trailer at 1:03 with the perfect synch of the drum kit and Unit 02's machine gun?

Truly a wonderful trailer

The trailer is very slick, sleek, and sexy. I've been watching it several times every day ever since it came out.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:05 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote: Maybe even Misato is back from the sea of ​​LCL .. We'll see what Anno comes up to finally conclude the Rebuilds.

I think that, thematically speaking, the "I Need You" scene was committed to show us how the world was an empty place at that piont and, thus, Shinji and Asuka would have to cooperate to survive.
Think about it, it opens with shoots of both the ocean and the sky (now, brutaly different because of the Third Impact), giving us a sense of scale as to how quiet and unhabitated the world really is. Then, it cuts to the beach, with only Shinji and Asuka close by. They are not just the only ones from the main cast that we see. They are also the only humans around (which is odd, considering that Tokyo-3 is a huge city, with may people living in it).
In the end, that makes sense. It's likely that most people would not want to get out of the LCL sea (of their own escapist paradise). Honestly, Shinji and Asuka are the only characters that I can see having the willpower to do so. That doen't mean that they were complitly in the world. But I doubt that there were many humans out there.
[That's just a mere fraction of what is actually happening in that scene, I know. There is also that whole thing about Shinji trying to proove his own existence as an individual, hurting Asuka to do so (because pain is the only form of communication between them) and reciving acceptance from her, instead of more aggression. But that's off topic.]
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:07 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:1) IT WOULD DESTROY EVERYTHING NGE WAS. And we better don't tal about EOE. Same reason the manga ending was a shitty one. Where Anno was honest, Sadamoto was a coward. Consecuences of Shinji's choice? Bahh, better let people know that his reincarnation is happy. Yeahh motherfucker, but waht happened whit OUR Shinji after 3I? Anno had the guts : "Deal with the real world, improve your relationships, even if they hurt you sometimes". Not fucking escapism.

I think that the implication in the manga is that 3I "erased" everyone and that the Shinji and Asuka we see in the last chapter are reincarnations of some sorts.

View Original PostJäeger wrote:3) Is people seriously talking about time travel? What has the the movies show us to justify that topic? I'm curious.

If I had to make a guess, that would be because of Quantum Rei, who appears at the beginning of NGE (and 1.0) as well as at the end of EoE.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:19 pm

In the official art book Die Sterne there was an illustration where in the Post EOE world there were depicted Asuka and a child (most likely Shinji even if he looked too young) wearing Misato's pendant and no one else ... If 3.0 +1.0 will really have a bittersweet ending maybe in the future the Khara will sell a new art book where there will be illustrations showing us scenes from the post-Final Impact world that can don't appear in the film ...

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:54 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:
Other things are more or less expected, like Shinji piloting (suck it lol!), though I didn't really expect a fight with Unit 01 VS Unit 13. Presumably it's piloted by Kaworu? Hmm. A lot of people assume he was absorbed into Unit 13 and not outright killed. Another possibility is that Unit 13 is piloted by Kaworu clones or dummy plugs, like the MP Evas in EoE. Buuuuut Kaworu mentions in 3.0 that a clone can't pilot Unit 13.

if nerve can transfer lilith soul from Rei 1 to Rei 2 then they can do the same wth kaworu

* I think this time the movie could focus on mari and Shinji. (as in 1.0 it was Rei and Shinji, in 2.0 it was Asuka and Shinji and finally in 3.0 it was kaworu and Shinji.
This is because in the poster next to the trailer, mari is the closest to Shinji, followed by Asuka or Rei who seem to be at the same distance but with Asuka close to mari.

i think she is Shinji sister, in the underwater (seems to be LCL) shot when she look up she looks like a drag Shinji.
ANATA BAKA !?

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:38 pm

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:It's SO satisfying seeing Asuka annihilate 10 MP Evangelion (armored FOLs maybe?) in seconds, Shin Asuka is clearly superior in every way compared to EoE Asuka (afterall 14 years have passed) and would definitely destroy those harpies! Plus we have Mari doing the same too!

EoE Asuka is superior in every way, she defeat all mass produced evas in the amount of time she had left....she would had won if they werent cheating with regen. NME Asuka hasnt done a single act of prowess....the space battle was won by Shinji, the sky is falling by all 3, the only angel she defeat was the one with a huge exposed target core.
ANATA BAKA !?

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:49 pm

Soryu was a beast! She was able to face of against nine EVA units (all equipped with S2 engines and spears of longinus) on her own, while having a time limit!
Most importantly, she did that with confidence and grace. Her actions really suited Air on the G String. Best EVA technical pilot, for sure (at least with regard to the original series).
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:16 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The trailer is very slick, sleek, and sexy. I've been watching it several times every day ever since it came out.

Same, also because the song is great too. I love the falsetto part with the close ups on Ritsuko and Midori.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:44 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:
View Original PostJoseki#904397 wrote:Can we talk about the chef kiss editing in the trailer at 1:03 with the perfect synch of the drum kit and Unit 02's machine gun?

Truly a wonderful trailer

The trailer is very slick, sleek, and sexy. I've been watching it several times every day ever since it came out.

The editing of this trailer really gives a music video-ish feel, I really like how the transition between each landscape shots at the beginning matches with Utada's singing, as Freaki said, it's slick, sleek and sexy. I've been watching and comparing the older 1.0/2.0 trailers with the ones from 3.0 onwards and I can say that they've really improved their trailer game with these last two films, they have more cohesive editing and smoother flow instead of just semi-randomly throwing scenes and shots here and there.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:39 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:That's all very subjective, but for me the ending of EOE is already an optimistic one (specially for us, the viewers).
Nothing is perfect, but that's fine. If you keep pushing it through and trying to be a better person every day, you may indeed find moments of happiness.
It's a very simple message, but a true one, nevertheless. I personally believe that it goes hand to hand with what's being said in the original ending. But while that was a more idealized version of it, here we have a more grounded outcome. Yeah, now Shinji is more willing to love himself, but the change doesn't come overnight. In fact, the Third Impact still happened and there are consequences for that.
In this new one, I think they will try to end up things in a similar note. But, with less melancholy visuals (going for a more "pleasant to watch" style instead).

It was an optimistic one.

And if you know that Anno choice that conclusion over the one who left Shinji alone in the world, there is no other interpretation.

Of course, there is the "Adam & Eve imagery" of that last momento. I know, I know "everybody can come back from LCL blah blah blah", but in a show that has spitted ont thousand biblical references it's pretty obvious. Not in a "let's fuck like rabbits to repopulate the EARTH" sense, but in a "first man and his first other (as described in Evcangelion Chronicle) one". And, for me, it's an optimistic choice. At least, for Shinji & Asuka. It's not gonna be easy, but at least this time it's gonna be easier than before. And the notes Anno wrote in the last pages of The End of Evangelion "Boku a Ui Kigou" confirm that feeling.

If people expect a similar conclusion to this continuity......I wouln't. NTE never has build up a psychologicaal drama. A main character with issues? Yes. But there is no introspection in this continuity. From the beginning was meant to be a blockbuster.

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:In the official art book Die Sterne there was an illustration where in the Post EOE world there were depicted Asuka and a child (most likely Shinji even if he looked too young) wearing Misato's pendant and no one else ... If 3.0 +1.0 will really have a bittersweet ending maybe in the future the Khara will sell a new art book where there will be illustrations showing us scenes from the post-Final Impact world that can don't appear in the film ...

Of course is Shinji :facepalm: :D :D :D That illustration, like others in that book (which I own) doesn't have your usual Gainax style.

This one DOES

Last edited by Jäeger on Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:01 am

I sincerely hope that this time we could have a slightly more optimistic ending ...I mean it is said that Anno is no longer as depressed as he was when he wrote EOE (although 3.0 and Shin Godzilla are not very happy movies) ...I'm ready for either a bittersweet finish with a nice message or a slightly better finish

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:18 am

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:I sincerely hope that this time we could have a slightly more optimistic ending ...I mean it is said that Anno is no longer as depressed as he was when he wrote EOE (although 3.0 and Shin Godzilla are not very happy movies) ...I'm ready for either a bittersweet finish with a nice message or a slightly better finish

EOE was an optimistic ending. "Optimistic", not an "easy" ending.

And this is and indepent story, which only shares the initial settings from 1.0. I don't even expect the same tone,it would feel weird.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:28 am

Yes Jeager EOE and the original series were more focused on Shinji's desire to be loved because of his childhood trauma ... While here in Rebuild Anno he shows us how Shinji cannot change the past and not run away from his responsibility even if he has been manipulated. ... Interesting the fact that this time Gendo is found as the true antagonist not only in the eyes of Shinji but by most of the cast and viewers ... I wonder if the fact that Shinji will have to forcibly face his old man may have been born from Anno's inability to never have been able to react to his father, according to him abusive ..

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:45 am

I don't know if it was already noted, but there are living fishes in the water whatever this place is

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:49 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I don't know if it was already noted, but there are living fishes in the water whatever this place is

There are birds in the trailer too ... You can see if he pauses the video at the right time ... Maybe they're the same place Shinji was at the end of the short film Until You Come To Me ...
Last edited by FXArmaros98 on Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:50 am

I had noticed, but I was in doubt if they were fish.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”